APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

37. JUNE 2016-MARCH 2017: THE NOT IN THIS LIFETIME TOUR IS A SUCCESS

Go down

37. JUNE 2016-MARCH 2017: THE NOT IN THIS LIFETIME TOUR IS A SUCCESS Empty 37. JUNE 2016-MARCH 2017: THE NOT IN THIS LIFETIME TOUR IS A SUCCESS

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:25 pm

CHAPTER INDEX

- JUNE 2, 2016: AXL/DC TO TOUR THE US IN THE FALL OF 2016
- NEW MUSIC FROM THE "RENUION" LINEUP?
- JUNE 5, 2016: AXL TRIES TO TAKE DOWN AN UNFLATTERING PICTURE
- JUNE 23-29, 2016: THE 2016 US 'NOT IN THIS LIFETIME' TOUR STARTS
- THE AXL/SLASH/DUFF TRIUMVIRATE - A FORCED MARRIAGE OR BEST FRIENDS AGAIN?
- JUNE 30, 2016: IZZY AND MATT COLLABORATE; IZZY HINTS AT MONEY ISSUES
- JULY 1 AND 3, 2016: THE TOUR CONTINUES WITH TWO SHOWS IN CHICAGO
- A SOLO RECORD FROM AXL?
- JULY 6 AND 9, 2016: STEVEN JOINS THE BAND FOR TWO SHOWS; DID IZZY REHEARSE WITH THE BAND?
- AXL'S LOVE OF FILM MUSIC
- JULY 12-31, 2016: THE TOUR CONTINUES
- MORE SHOWS ADDED TO THE NITL TOUR; TOUR TO CONTINUE INTO 2017
- AUGUST 2, 2016: SLASH RECORDS COVER VERSION OF 'ROCKET MAN' FOR THE MOVIE STUNTMAN
- AUGUST 5-22, 2016: THE NORTH AMERICAN TOUR ENDS; STEVEN JOINS AGAIN
- REACTIONS TO THE NOT IN THIS LIFETIME TOURING
- AUGUST 27-SEPTEMBER 20, 2016: AXL TOURS WITH AC/DC IN NORTH AMERICA
- SEPTEMBER 7, 2016: IZZY: "THEY DIDN'T WANT TO SPLIT THE LOOT EQUALLY"
- SEPTEMBER-NOVEMBER 2016: CHRIS SUES AND SETTLES WITH AXL FOR UNPAID SALARY
- OCTOBER 27-NOVEMBER 1, 2016: THE LATIN AMERICAN LEG OF THE 2016 NITL TOUR STARTS
- NOVEMBER 4 AND 5, 2016: TWO SHOWS AT RIVER PLATE WITH STEVEN
- 2016-TODAY: STEVEN DID NOT GET CLOSURE; THOUGHTS ON MORE SHOWS WITH GN'R AND AXL
- NOVEMBER 8-26, 2016: SHOWS IN BRAZIL, COLOMBIA AND COSTA RICA
- MELISSA'S SIDE PROJECTS
- NOVEMBER 29 AND 30, 2016: THE TOUR ENDS WITH TWO SHOWS IN MEXICO CITY
- MATT AND GILBY TALK ABOUT NOT BEING PART OF THE REUNION LINEUP
- JANUARY 9-29, 2017: REHEARSALS AND START OF THE ASIAN TOUR OF 2017 WITH FIVE SHOWS IN JAPAN
- GUNS N' ROSES AND DONALD TRUMP
- FEBRUARY 2-21, 2017: THE ASIAN TOUR CONTINUES WITH SHOWS IN NEW ZEALAND AND AUSTRALIA
- FEBRUARY 25-MARCH 3, 2017: THE ASIAN TOUR ENDS WITH SHOWS IN SINGAPORE, THAILAND AND UAE

Last edited by Soulmonster on Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:06 pm; edited 11 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76583

Back to top Go down

37. JUNE 2016-MARCH 2017: THE NOT IN THIS LIFETIME TOUR IS A SUCCESS Empty Re: 37. JUNE 2016-MARCH 2017: THE NOT IN THIS LIFETIME TOUR IS A SUCCESS

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:27 pm

JUNE 2, 2016
AXL/DC TO TOUR THE US IN THE FALL OF 2016

On June 2, 2016, it was announced that AC/DC would also do a US leg of the tour with Axl being the singer:

AC/DC and guest singer Axl Rose have announced the re-scheduled Rock or Bust U.S tour dates initially postponed when longtime frontman Brian Johnson had to bow out due to hearing issues.

The legendary Australian rock outfit — now on the road with a lineup of Angus Young, Cliff Williams, Stevie Young, Chris Slade and GNR’s Rose on the mic — will roll into the U.S. for ten final shows in August and September.

The newly-announced leg begins Aug. 27 at Greensboro Coliseum, NC and visits Fort Lauderdale, Atlanta, Columbus, Cleveland. Detroit, Buffalo, New York, Washington before wrapping Sept. 20 at Wells Fargo Center, in Philadelphia, PA. Rose’s other band, Guns ‘N Roses, conclude their Not in This Lifetime comeback tour on Aug. 22 in San Diego, California, just five day before the frontman heads out with AC/DC.

With Rose inserted into the lineup, AC/DC’s Rock Or Bust stadium and arena tour resumed May 7 with a well-received Lisbon, Portugal show (although the rock singer was hobbled at the time). To date, the world trek has been attended by more than four million fans, according to a rep for the band.

The rescheduled AC/DC ‘Rock or Bust’ U.S. dates are:

Aug. 27 — Greensboro, NC, Greensboro Coliseum
Aug. 30 — Ft. Lauderdale, FL, BB&T Center
Sept. 1 — Atlanta, GA, Phillips Arena
Sept. 4 — Columbus, OH, Nationwide Arena
Sept. 6 — Cleveland, OH, Quicken Loans Arena
Sept. 9 — Detroit, MI, The Palace
Sept. 11 — Buffalo, NY, First Niagara Center
Sept. 14 — New York, NY, Madison Square Garden
Sept. 17 — Washington, DC, Verizon Center
Sept. 20 — Philadelphia, PA, Wells Fargo Center
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

37. JUNE 2016-MARCH 2017: THE NOT IN THIS LIFETIME TOUR IS A SUCCESS Empty Re: 37. JUNE 2016-MARCH 2017: THE NOT IN THIS LIFETIME TOUR IS A SUCCESS

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:28 pm

2016-2018
NEW MUSIC FROM THE "RENUION" LINEUP?

In addition to rumours that Slash had recorded new music for Guns N' Roses [see previous chapter], in June 2016, Axl would both mention they were working on new stuff and that he had played Slash and Duff some unreleased GN'R music:

We are working on new stuff. But, I don't know. Like I said a long time ago, "I don't know if soons the word" but I got a lot of stuff together and I've played some stuff for Slash and Duff and they like it and they might be on it, we don't know.

Axl would also say he wanted to release more music with GN'R:

I do want to put out more music with Guns n' Roses and I don't know if that has to do with Slash or not but underneath Guns N' Roses thing (?) and if he and I write something or if he wants to play on something we have it's like that'd be great.

In December, Richard would talk about the band testing out new ideas at soundchecks:

We are messing with ideas every day. I mean, every day we do at least an hour sound check and we'll play through different ideas, like new ideas. Put stuff down on tape. Yeah, yeah. [...] It's really organic and it happens. You know, same in rehearsals, we are always putting down different ideas and getting stuff together and getting ready for that.

In early 2017, Frank would be asked if he thinks he will be on the next GN'R record:

Man, I’m just hoping that if Guns continues in whatever form, I’ll be part of that recording process as well.

By March or April, Richard would say they hadn't started recording in a studio yet -- perhaps implying that they recorded ideas separately or at rehearsals - but that he thought it would happen and that the lineup now was "too good" for a new record "not to happen":

We haven't started recording anything. I mean, when I say that, as far as in a studio doing an album, you know, we've been recording a lot of stuff, just ideas, sort of assembling ideas. But not going into a studio and actually tracking a new record. [...] Yeah, I do [think it will happen]. [...] It's sort of too good not to happen at this point [laughs]. That's how I feel about it. This band is a force right now, and I definitely hope that we do and I think we're all sort of counting on it,  we're also planning on it.

When asked what ambitions he had left, Richard would also respond making a legendary album with GN'R:

I'd like to do an album with this band. But as far as playing...  I hope to do some, you know, I have not written and played on an album that is legendary, you know, in my opinion, I haven't done an Appetite record, you know. And I hope to do that some day. That would be amazing.

Then, in May 2017, it was rumoured Slash might be working on new Guns N' Roses material when the following image was shared Marshall Amps:

Slash recording

By July, Richard wouldn't say whether they had done any recording yet:

Everyone is excited about it. There’s a really magical thing now with the band. It feels like a new band. It feels like the best version since I joined, and it’s the most fun for me. There’s so much excitement around it.

Dizzy was asked if a new album was coming in early 2018, and replied that he didn't know:

I really don’t know – I have no idea. I’ll plead the fifth on that.

When asked if the new lineup would release new music, Fernando Lebeis would argue that the release of Shadow Of Your Love [in May, 2018] counted:

That's the question, eh!  We just released a brand new single!
Yes, I am sure there will be.  

While Axl would state that they were focused on touring for now but that since everything was going well you could never know:

Right now our focus is on touring and the shows but everyone seems to be getting along so you never know.

And Slash would provide a non-committal default response:

We’re... it’s been talked about, I think everybody wants to do it and we’ll just see what happens.

I think probably the best way to look at is, if something happens, then it happens. There you go.

And when asked if they had recorded anything yet:

We’ve been busy doing this running around the planet.

Still, Richard would claim they were all excited about to get new songs recorded:

We're really anxious to get some new songs recorded and- [...] Yeah, we're excited about doing it. Everybody's excited. Axl's exciting, yeah. It's cool.

In July, Duff would make a political statement on Twitter to which "PorkChopExpress" commented, "Less politics more new GNR songs. Get to work" resulting in Duff stating he can both make new music and be politically involved:

Oh! I CAN do both. I'm an American patriot who loves to rock out with my c*ck out. But thanks for being concerned that one excludes the other. It doesnt!
Twitter, July 19, 2018

While touring Europe in July 2018, Slash would talk about recording song ideas on his phone and that he had recording music intended to be for Guns N' Roses:

I still do that [=record song ideas on the phone], yeah. [laughs] Hotel rooms, dressing rooms, buses, wherever. Because I always have my guitar with me on the road, and more often than not I’m just noodling around. So anytime I stumble onto something that sounds cool I put it on the telephone. Because I’ve tried all different kinds of methods of recording stuff, from having a Pro Tools rig on my laptop to, back in the day, just having a Fostex [four track] with me. But those things involve plugging shit in and getting it set up, and there’s always something that doesn’t work just right that you have to fix for a second. And ideas get lost in the time it takes to do that. So the phone is great. You just hit record and go. [...] I did do some writing [while touring with Guns N' Roses], but I was really thinking in terms of Guns at that time [=and not the Conspirators]. So I have some ideas in my phone that are primarily for that. Because that’s where my head was at. I tend to get into one thing and then focus on that 100 percent. I’m not thinking of anything else. It’s the only way to do it when you’ve got two things that are so all encompassing. You have to shut one off to do the other.

When asked to confirm that it meant he was working on music intended for GN'R, he responded:

Yeah, I think there’s a little bit of that activity going on. [...] There’s talk about doing some recording. I think we all would love to do something that we thought was really cool. We just haven’t really sat down and put our noses to the grindstone to do it. We haven’t really had time. But there’s been a couple things that we’ve dicked around with at soundchecks.

Slash would be confronted with the quote from Axl where he said he had played songs for Slash and Duff and they might record on them, to which Slash responded:

Yeah. You know what? I’m not lighting that fuse.

And a few weeks later he would elaborate and be optimistic about a new record at some point:

Everybody's asking. We haven't focused on really, you know, doing... we haven't, you know, sat down and [said], 'Okay, we're working on a new record.' But at the same time, I know that's something that I want to be optimistic about. I think Axl would like to do it; I want to do it; Duff wants to do it. Axl's got a ton of material; I've got some material; so we just have to sort of hunker down and go, 'Okay, we're going to do this,' and that hasn't happened yet, but I feel pretty positive it'll happen at some point.

Slash would also mention that when touring with Guns N' Roses, the riffs and song ideas he would write would be more tailored towards that band but that they have been too busy touring to start planning a new album:

[...] I feel like while I’m out with Guns I’m thinking about Guns stuff. When I’m out with Conspirators I’m thinking of Conspirators. I’ve been doing The Conspirators for, like, eight years now. So there’s a certain kind of rhythm that I’ve gotten into with doing that. With Guns, we haven’t sort of… we’ve just started to touch the surface of what that’s going to all be, so I haven’t really fallen into that groove yet. So right now there’s more of a question mark around that than with Conspirators. [...] it’s not been announced [that I write for a Guns record] because there’s nothing official, so there’s nothing to talk about. I think everybody thinks it’s a good idea, and everybody would like to do it, and there’s no shortage of ideas, from everybody involved, but we’ve been so busy on the road there hasn’t really been time to go in and sit down and go: ‘Okay, we’re going to make a record.’

We haven't gone there. We've been so busy on the road this entire time. We'll just see what happens as it happens.

And talking about the future of the band and indicate that the focus could be on old material:

I mean, I have no prospects. Now that we’ve actually mended fences and gotten back together and done this, we’re going to keep it together. Because all the bullshit that we’d had that sort of caused all the shit back in the nineties, there was a lot of outside influence on that, and so now that that’s sort of eliminated we’re just left to our own devices. We get along fucking great.

So I think we’re going to go well on into the future. I mean, Axl’s got a ton of shit that he recorded already, so we’re just going to get in there and just start getting into that thing, and then if we do a record and then do a tour, I could see that cycle going on endlessly.

In September, Slash would again say they had not started working on new music but that it is something they would like to do:

It's something that we would love to do. We just need to come together and start working that out, so it could definitely happen.

When discussing Civil War, Slash would also suggest a new album could be politically themed:

That was something I just came up with on acoustic and an idea that Axl had, and the two just came together. It’ll be interesting to see what's on the next Guns N' Roses record if we get around to doing that. I'm not wanting to be a political advocate myself, but it'd be interesting to see what Axl comes up with. He definitely is more outspoken in that area.

A few weeks later Slash would be quoted as saying they wanted to do "something" in regards to new music but that it wouldn't be until after the next round of touring:

We'll see what happens. It's really early to tell what we're going to do with Guns N' Roses and new material. We want to do something. We've been on the road this entire time. We have another leg coming up in November in Southeast Asia, Dubai and South Africa. Then we're going to start looking at what the next step is going to be.

And Duff would refuse to answer any questions regarding new music:

Well, things feel good in the band, that's all I can say. Things are super positive.

A few days later he would again be asked what he was up to:

Working on new music on a lot of different fronts, which is cool.

When the interviewer, Lyndsey Parker, followed up with whether there were plan for new GN'R music:

As I said, Lyndsey, working on a lot of new music on a lot-

But then admitted that new music from GN'R would be a "logical thing":

That band is clicking so well. It's the best it's ever been and it's the funnest it's ever been. You know, like that stuff doesn't really happen and it happened to us and I'm super... What's the word? Pleased? No, it's too kind of stale. But it's just one of those things that happened and it happened in my life that was really great. It happened for all of us at the right time. And new music would probably be a logical thing and we'll see.

Around the same time, Slash would feel "pretty confident" something was going to happen:

I mean, I feel pretty confident that something's gonna happen and there's no deadline on it and so I couldn't tell you when but I feel pretty secure in saying that we're gonna do something you know so it will happen when it happens as with any GN'R thing you can't put any restraint on time.

And around the same time he would claim that recording new Guns N' Roses music was "on Axl's mind":

I don't want to say anything that's going to make people start thinking something [is happening], because there's nothing set up. But it's definitely on my mind. I know it's on Axl's mind, and I know it's on Duff's mind. It's one of those things that you don't want to put a timeline or a deadline on. You just let it be, and it will happen when it happens.

And he would also talk about how much he wanted to make a new GN'R record:

I'm not going to not mention wanting to do a GUNS record along the way. It's not a personal challenge or anything, but I would love to see a GUNS record get done and have it be, to us, really great. That would be awesome.

Slash would also be asked about him recording music intended for GN'R and say he had a "couple of ideas earmarked for Guns":

There are a couple of ideas that I’ve earmarked for Guns that I won’t be using for anything else. But I don’t know where we are going with this; it remains to be seen what we’ll end up doing. I think the other guys would agree we’re just going to see what happens.

When you think about it, we’ve been working this entire time, so there’s been no chance to map out what we’ll be doing once this tour is over or what kind of approach we will take. Now we’ve gotten past all our shit from 20 years ago, we want to keep this thing going and keep it fresh and so on and so forth. Let’s see what happens! Should that wheel start turning, I have some cool riffs ready.

I do have some ideas that I wrote that are specifically Guns N' Roses ideas, because that's when it came up. For that whole time, anything that I wrote was specifically earmarked for that.

You know, when I'm out with with Guns N' Roses I'm primarily focused on Guns N' Roses, so I'm not really thinking about the Conspirators at that point. And so if I write anything during that period, I'm thinking more in terms of Guns N' Roses. If I'm out with Conspirators and I'm writing on the road and and doing the Conspirators tour, then I write with that in mind. And so the twain don't really meet too much on the same ground. Now if there was like a Guns N' Roses idea that was still being sort of polished off or something, and I was on the road with the Conspirators, that would still be a Guns N' Roses idea, you know what I'm saying? But other than that fresh ideas that come up that are inspired by what you're doing at present, then that's tailor made for what it is that you're doing at present. That seems to be the formula.

Slash would also talk about having a desire to make new music with GN'R:

[...] there's definitely a desire, you know, for me to be able to make new music. I mean it's fun playing all the stuff, you know, all the old stuff and we definitely had a blast. Especially because I haven't played a lot of that stuff in a long time and I definitely... I hadn't played it with, you know Axl and Duff together in 22 years or something. So the whole Not In This Lifetime tour was really, really fun and refreshing to do and the fans were great and just the whole thing was pretty amazing. But there's still, you know, there's that desire to come up with some new ideas and you know, whatever. And that's what you're doing it for. It's just the desire to create new stuff.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:45 am; edited 31 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:29 pm

JUNE 5, 2016
AXL TRIES TO TAKE DOWN AN UNFLATTERING PICTURE

In early June 2016, it was reported that "Web Sheriff on the behalf of Axl Rose" were sending Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) takedown request with Google over an unflattering image of Axl taken at a concert at the MTS Centre, Winnipeg, Canada in 2010 [TorrentFreak, June 5, 2016; Billboard, June 7]. Web Sheriff is a UK company offering online brand, IP and privacy protection. The taker of the photo, Boris Minkevich at the Winnipeg Free Press, was, according to the Web Sheriff, either violating an agreement to not publish images taken at the concert without permission or had taken the photos without a permit [TorrentFreak, June 5, 2016]. The image had been made into popular memes that commented on Axl's appearance [Winnipeg Free Press, June 6].

The unflattering picture
Winnipeg Free Press, Jan. 14, 2010
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:29 pm

JUNE 23-29, 2016
THE 2016 US 'NOT IN THIS LIFETIME' TOUR STARTS

Before the Not In This Lifetime tour kicked off properly, Frank, Melissa and Dizzy would discuss their pre-show routines and approach to playing large shows:

Obviously there’s always issues of us going on late, so I always have plenty of warm up time. I never have to worry about that! Usually I can get in a good half hour before we hit the stage. I’ll be ready to go. I’ll have tons of water, a little bit of wine. Just to loosen you up. The only thing I ever get is anxious, never nervous. I just want to hit it. I never tense up. I do change my style of drumming a little bit for these big arena shows. I perform more, maybe. Back home it’s all about playing, it’s not about performance at all, you just stare at that snare drum and make sure the two and four are in the pocket. So, it’s a little different, it’s a different animal. But everything is different. Every day is a brand new, spanking unpredictable day.

Be kind of alone and quiet, maybe have like a little glass of wine.

I like to get a little loose, so I have me a, like, a shot of Jägermeister, which is my favorite drink.

To get all, like, jacked up on sugar and like, ready to go.

Later, Duff would talk about the scale of operation when doing stadium tours:

That's why we only play two, three times a week because we have this, we have a couple stages going. [...] That's why you see big bands, they're only playing a couple of times a week. You know, "All those guys are really slowing down," but no, you know, you have to set this whole thing up. If you walk into a stadium, you see Paul McCartney or some big band, or us, playing, everything there, including the seats on the ground, you know, are ours. It would be we either rented those seats- [...] It's like we're putting on an NFL football game.

Dale "Opie" Skjelseth would also talk about the first show of the tour:

We picked Detroit for several reasons. It's a very good venue to rehearse in. It's a good relations and it's a good place to start in Rock City. The show is 2 hours, 2 1/2 hours to 2:45. It'll be our first night, so they'll be fresh. They're gonna probably wanna try everything. It's a good venue to try it all and that's pretty long show for all the hits.

And Slash would talk about how the first seven shows had been:

It's been fucking awesome. This is the first night of the actual tour. The first seven shows [?] really natural [?]. So I would say if this is gonna be the same kinda deal [?] so it's more than I really expected. And I didn't actually have a lot of forethought, you just sort of goes right into it.

During the tour, Richard would discuss the difference between playing clubs to stadiums::

It's a very different experience. Playing face to face with people was obviously going to be much different than standing on a huge stage where you can barely see people's faces, you know. The great thing about being on our own stage that we travel with and that we build every time, it's consistent, you know, is that just that, it's consistent. It's like a second home, you know where you are, there's no surprises, the sound is always the same because we use all in-ear monitors. So it's very consistent and that's nice.

The first show took place on June 23 at Ford Field in Detroit, MI, USA.

June 23, 2016
Arian Buhler

Thank you Detroit for an awesome fucking evening. You set a great pace for the rest of the tour. Cheers! iiii]; )'
Twitter, June 24, 2016

That kicked ASS last night Detroit! Cherry buster!
Twitter, June 24, 2016

THANK YOU DETROIT!!🎉💥⚡🔥!! See you again soon!!🎛🔊🔜
Twitter, June 24, 2016

Slash in Detroit
June 23, 2016
Duff and Frank in Detroit
June 23, 2016

Review in Detroit Free Press:

OK, so now we have to ask: Why did that have to take so long, exactly?!

For the first time in 23 years, a Guns N’ Roses fronted by Axl Rose, Slash and Duff McKagan occupied a Detroit stage, as the reunited band played an electric, vigorous show Thursday night at Ford Field. It was the kind of night that had rock magic pumping through the veins of the packed stadium — a high-energy 2½-hour affair that kicked off the group’s Not in This Lifetime Tour after a handful of April dates.

Before the doors even opened, this was the Motor City’s biggest rock event so far this year. GNR made good on the moment, conjuring the loose, tattooed, swaggering power of the band’s golden years without loitering in nostalgia and with just enough tattered edges to keep it all real. Thursday was a chance to reassert a brand of rock 'n' roll whose alpha spot in music culture has given way to newer sounds and trends. And the trio at the heart of the action — now all in their 50s — proved up to the task.

Showing up promptly as scheduled, just before 9:45 p.m., GNR hit the ground running with a potent “Appetite for Destruction” twofer, serving up “It’s So Easy” and “Mr. Brownstone” as Ford Field filled with the glow of cell phone cameras.

Slash and McKagan — absent all those years as Rose carried the Guns N’ Roses franchise —seemed game for “Chinese Democracy,” one of three selections from the Rose-crafted album of the same. But this was by and large an evening for romping in the band’s vintage repertoire, and by the time the set arrived at “Rocket Queen” and “You Could Be Mine,” the years had melted away.

Rose, nimble again after the broken foot that kept him chair-bound in the spring, was a visual focal point, scampering across the stage and working the staircase alongside the drum riser. And the newly minted AC/DC singer was in consistently solid voice, the bold scream that opened an early “Welcome to the Jungle” holding up strong as the night went on.
Axl Rose of Guns N' Roses plays to the Ford Field crowd

Spirits onstage seemed high, with plenty of grins to go with the familiar GNR imagery, from the snake-dancing Rose to the top-hatted Slash with his mess of curls and periodic double-neck guitar. At one point, both Rose and McKagan (whose bass sported a Prince symbol) were both onstage with T-shirts bearing the slogan, “Detroit: Where the Weak Are Killed And Eaten.”

“Out Ta Get Me” and “Nightrain” were high-flying highlights in a set that gave Slash plenty of room for guitar heroics, including the left-field treat “Coma” and an instrumental cover of Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were” that paired him with second guitarist Richard Fortus. The show's most emotive moments came, as expected, from the assortment of "Use Your Illusion" material, including a sloppily started "November Rain" with Rose at piano and a sweeping "Don't Cry" to open the encore.

Fortus, making periodic forays up front to join GNR’s big three, was part of a solid supporting cast that included drummer Frank Ferrer along with keyboardists Dizzy Reed and newcomer Melissa Reese.

The Stooges’ “Raw Power,” covered by GNR on 1993’s “The Spaghetti Incident,” was fittingly wheeled out for this Detroit appearance, with McKagan getting his lead-vocal spotlight. It was among a handful of cover tunes on the night, with an upbeat encore rendition of the Who’s “The Seeker” to go with GNR staples such as Bob Dylan’s “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” and the pyro-packed take on Wings’ “Live and Let Die.”

A confetti-strewn, flame-filled "Paradise City" wrapped it all up with a bang, one last round of seasoned energy and attitude. Guns N' Roses may be older now, a little chunkier in the middle. The onstage camaraderie may or may not be forced, on a reunion tour that's dangling multimillion-dollar paydays. But for most of Thursday night, it was as if Axl, Slash and Duff had stepped right off a tour bus from 1993.

The second show took place at FedEx Field in Landover, MD, USA on June 26.

June 26, 2016
Arian Buhler

Axl in Landover
June 26, 2016
The band in Landover
June 26, 2016

While in Landover, Duff with family would do some sightseeing in Washington DC:

The second show we did on this first run here this past summer was in Washington D.C. (great crowd at Fed-Ex, by the way!), and my wife and two teenage daughters came along for some good old sightseeing. We got a cool behind-the scenes White House tour. We went to the Smithsonian American History Museum and the National Archives. We went to the Lincoln Memorial and the WWII Memorial, and lastly, we arrived at the top of the steps of the Jefferson Memorial.

The third show was at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, MO, USA, on June 29.

June 29, 2016
Arian Buhler

Dizzy in Kansas City
June 29, 2016
Axl, Kansas City
June 29, 2016

Tommy attended the show in Kansas City:

great to see me ol' pals last nite in KC! i am so grateful for the time i had playin with these gents.!!! thanx to all the fans that bought me drinks last nite!
Facebook, June 30, 2016

I just kind of came in under the radar and actually people like realized it was me and yeah, buying me beers and stuff, it was pretty hysterical. And it was a great show. We had so much fun. [...] The whole experience for me is a hoot, the last in Kansas City, that's the first time I've been to a big show like this, and I mean this completely seriously, the last time I went to show like this was in the 80s when Aerosmith got back together and they came out and they're like, "Hey, we clean now, you know, we're not junkies anymore, and here's our new record." And they came out, they played Harriet Island in Minneapolis. It was me and a bunch of my punk rock friends going out, we're gonna go see this show and check it out and they ripped balls. It was so good. They were so great. And so, to me, coming out of the Guns show, the show in Kansas, it was fantastic. It was fun and, you know, a lot of kind people out there and stuff. And I expected that to be pretty much the same thing. It's, you know, it's a great show. It's funny to be on the other side.

Unlike Tommy, Bumblefoot would deliberately not go see any of the shows, obviously due to the more strained relationship between him and his former band:

No [I haven't been to any of the shows], that would just be weird [laughs]. [...] It's just like, you know, going watch your ex-girlfriend get married or something. [...] It's like, I moved on, they moved on and, you know, I just hope everybody's happy, that's all.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:32 pm

THE AXL/SLASH/DUFF TRIUMVIRATE
- A FORCED MARRIAGE OR BEST FRIENDS AGAIN?

With Axl, Slash and Duff back again, the media and fans alike would speculate on whether it would be sustainable, and even the band wondered how long it would last:

We are getting along really good and stuff. I think they came to the AC/DC show

[...] we're right now- it's all good. I mean obviously that could just explode. But no, everything is actually good between everybody [...]

Yeah, everybody’s getting along. We all were pretty positive that that would never happen, so it’s still sort of blowing our minds. It seems so surreal to me, but everybody’s really getting along great and I think everyone’s come a long way and it’s all cool.

By late 2016, Richard would conclude that things were working out nicely with no drama:

There's no drama.

Slash, Duff and Axl
Unknown date, 2017

Richard would also shed light on the inner workings of the new lineup:

And it's been really great. It's been incredible, actually. [...] we communicate all the time. You know, between Slash, Duff, Axl and myself, you know, every night there's text going back and forth. After, you know, once we're back in our hotel rooms and, you know, we hang out, we all travel together on the same plane-

In August 2017, Slash would talk about how different it was now when outside people, including "managers" and "business people", aren't interfering, obviously contrasting the band in 2017 to how it was in the 90s:

[Talking about being all together and writing music] Yeah, that's the way it starts out, with just the original members in a room doing it. It's hard to recapture that innocence as you start to become successful. You have people coming in from all over the place; they have ideas for the music or the show. It's inevitable. You don't know who it's going to be, but it's going to be somebody. You have to fight and claw to keep the integrity. A lot of the time you try to go along with stuff, but your gut is telling you this isn't right. [...] Now that we're back together, without getting too much into it, we're able to talk about it and identify people who got in the way. It's great to be past all that without having to listen to anybody's input—not managers, not business people. We just do what we're good at, and it's nice that it's been well received.

And on how great it had been to reconcile with Axl:

For me, the biggest thing was me and Axl sitting together and talking. And we were right back to us as normal friends. That was, in and of itself, a surreal moment and it was really cathartic and I felt really relieved. All that negative black s**t that had been collecting over years and years, being perpetuated.

Having Axl and I get back together and sort of work out our differences and start moving forward, was sort of a shock. . . . And it’s been really a wonderful experience, and I’ve been having really a great time with it, and everybody’s been getting along great.

Slash would also be asked if he was in Guns N' Roses or just playing with Guns N' Roses:

Oh, that’s an interesting question. From the moment we started playing together and embarking on this journey, I would consider it being in Guns N’ Roses, not just being hired to play Guns N’ Roses songs.

Slash would also talk about Axl's professionalism and hint at someone having been the root cause for their previous problem [more on this in previous chapters]:

I don’t know, man. Axl’s been fucking amazing. He’s been so professional that it blows my mind. I mean, he’s always been professional, but obviously we had some issues with a lot of different things back in the day, but there was a lot of reasons that I wasn’t really aware of… You know, there was such a divide-and-conquer thing going on around us by somebody who will remain mentionless, that we never could get to the core of that problem.

When we went to do those Coachella gigs, in the back of my mind I was wondering how this was all going to go. But Axl’s been fucking unreal. We’ve been playing for the last almost two years without a fucking hitch. No matter what’s been thrown at him.

But it’s not because of anything that was said. I think there’s a rumour going around that said that I would quit [if the band were late to the stage], or that there was some contract. None of that. There was nothing even mentioned about it.

When discussing the inclusion of Slither in the sets, and that Axl had wanted to play this song, Slash would state that this was indicative of the healthy relationship in the band:

There was a really great camaraderie from the get-go — since we got back together. It's been really healthy. Doing something like that [=Slither] is very much in line with how harmonious the whole thing has been. It's a little bit of a statement to how the band is working together.

And in early 2019, he would again talk about how harmonious it was and that whatever had caused problems has "all been sort of cleared away":

It’s very tight, very family (?). It’s really back to where everybody is really, really happy and comfortable, and we sort of got rid of - there was a lot of bad influences going on back in the day that affected a lot of things, and that’s all been sort of cleared away. So now it’s back to normal.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:38 pm; edited 10 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

JUNE 30, 2016
IZZY AND MATT COLLABORATE; IZZY HINTS AT MONEY ISSUES

On June 30, Izzy would release a new single, FP Money, featuring Matt.

Facebook post from Matt
June 30, 2016

The song would feature the lyrics:

They can fight about it, money, some bag of gold.
They can fight about it, money, the big wheels roll.
And I'm taking the long way home today.
Really got no worries either way.
Cuttin' deals, shakin' hands,
Hopin' it feels, open plans.
They can fight about it, money, it's just a bag of gold.
They can fight about it, money, feel the big wheels roll.
And I'm taking the long way home today.
Really in no hurry either way.
Open fields, open planes, open gates, open lands, open space, open sky, open mind, open race.
They can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
They can fight about it, money, the story goes.

Matt and Izzy would mention how it came about:

Matt Sorum and I crossed paths earlier this year and both agreed it might be fun to one day throw down a new track and see what we get. F.P. Money' is my latest single this year and Matt Sorum is on drums, Damon Fox on keys, Tony Babylon on bass, Rick Richards on lead guitars. Me ... guitars, vocals. Recorded and mixed at Brotheryn Studios. JT Longoria, engineer/mixing. Jason Mariani mastering. Available everywhere July 2016. Cheers!
Twitter, June 30, 2016

Izzy Stradlin and I have collaborated on a new song he wrote called FP Money out in July everywhere. It was great to reconnect again and make some Rock N Roll with this great singer , songwriter guitarist and all around cool dude .
Music for music's sake , it was really organic and fun . Hope you take a listen . And Turn it Up !!!
Facebook, June 30, 2016

Izzy is great and his process is very Rock and Roll. He called, and within a couple days we were in the studio cutting a couple of songs. He gets the inspiration and goes with it – truly a great songwriter. You never know with Izzy. He could call tomorrow from Spain and say, “Come over, let’s record.” I love that about him.

Looking back at the collaboration:

Izzy called me out in the desert. We both live in the desert (laughs). He lives way out in the desert. He's an interesting guy. Izzy lives in the desert and then he has a pad up in Ojai, which is kind of up in - past Santa Barbara, up that way. And he texted me and said, “I've got a song. Come up”. I drove up to Ojai, and we got in this little studio and we recorded a song called Fighter Pilot Money. [...] Izzy just put it out. He just released it. You know, not even any press or anything. Because he just likes playing music and writing songs. But he's always been an interesting guy. And, you know, he could call me tomorrow and say, “Let's go record a song”. And he came over to my house and we sat down and played some guitars and, you know, that was cool.

Matt and Izzy continued to hang out together and were seen together at the premiere of the movie The Indians Who Rocked the World at the Palm Springs International Film Fest on January 7, 2018.

Matt and Izzy with Stevie Salas
January 7, 2018

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:57 am; edited 4 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

JULY 1 AND 3, 2016
THE TOUR CONTINUES WITH TWO SHOWS IN CHICAGO

Then followed two shows at Soldier Field in Chicago, IL, USA, on July 1 and 3. Before the first show, Slash would talk about how the tour had been so far:

All the shows have been great that we’ve done so far. Last night was only our third show on this leg and then we did seven shows previous to that.

July 1, 2016
Arian Buhler
July 3, 2016
Damu Groves

Richard in Chicago
July 1, 2016
Duff, Axl and Slash, Chicago
July 1, 2016

Excerpts from review by Alex McLevy in the A.V. Club on July 5, 2016:

Guns N’ Roses started their set 15 minutes early? And other surprises

There must be a German word for something that is both a little silly and a little awesome. For the past 20 years, the lame nightclub act still using the name Guns N’ Roses was merely the former: A ridiculous shadow of its former self, the “Axl plus hired guns” lineup ran through the group’s standards with all the conviction and appeal of a GNR cover band. There’s nothing wrong with continuing to make a living by trading on your once-great band’s musical output—it’s called the state fair circuit, and it pays the bills for lots of acts who no longer feel the creative itch but want to put on a show—but there was something unseemly about seeing such a legendary band devolve into the Axl Rose Cabaret Show. It didn’t help matters that the acrimony between the other founding members of Guns N’ Roses was so public, let alone that the decade-plus wait for Chinese Democracy became an easy punchline for the dangers of superstar megalomania. (Even at the height of their success, Rose’s diva behavior was appalling, which is the kind of thing that comes back to haunt you when falling out of the public’s good graces.)

But along comes the Not In This Lifetime… Tour, which finally restores that missing element of awesomeness to the Guns N’ Roses equation. The return of the founding members of the group (save for Izzy Stradlin and long-disavowed original drummer Steven Adler) is the kind of feel-good “burying the hatchet” narrative that makes fans feel like something near to their hearts has been restored to its proper place in the universe. I went to the concert Friday night at Soldier Field in Chicago, along with A.V. Club Editorial Coordinator Becca James, and a couple of unexpected things happened: First, the band not only started on time, but 15 minutes early; and second, we really enjoyed a Guns N’ Roses concert in 2016. I really didn’t think that second one was possible.

So what made it so entertaining? It certainly wasn’t the fans. If you’re wondering who attends a GNR concert these days, it’s pretty close to the stereotype you have in your head. White people in their 40s and 50s, many in from the suburbs, who pulled their old concert tees out of mothballs and decided to make a night of nostalgia as close to a time machine journey to 1992 as possible. Picture the kinds of college bros who crush beer cans on their foreheads and girls who sit on their boyfriends’ shoulders whooping at festivals, and add a couple decades. It reminded me of Joan Cusack’s perfect line from Grosse Pointe Blank, about attending her high school reunion: “It was just as if everyone had swelled.”

[...]

Still, I had a great time. And it had everything to do with the earnest performance Guns N’ Roses put on. It was pure nostalgia, true, but it was a transformative nostalgia, a stubborn refusal to acknowledge the passing of time, that felt like a defiant middle finger in the air to the aging and death awaiting all of us. When Axl ran across the stage to jump on the monitors mid-song, or when he changed outfits, or played the piano on “November Rain,” there was an undeniable air of resistance in the face of change, a visible testament to how it was possible—even if only for the duration of a concert—to reject the progression of life. The entire stadium projected itself backward in time, and partied like it was 1989.

The show was mostly a greatest-hits assemblage, with the odd deep cut making an appearance (“Coma,” “Double Talkin’ Jive”) and a few nods to the other members’ subsequent work (Duff played a couple of punk covers, Slash got to do some solo guitar noodling). There were even a few tracks from Chinese Democracy, and honestly, they didn’t sound as shitty live as they do on record, though they were also clearly from a different era of band composition. But the hits just kept coming, a reminder of how ubiquitous the band was during its heyday. I quickly realized I didn’t just know the obvious touchstones—“Paradise City,” “Welcome To The Jungle,” “You Could Be Mine”—I knew every damn song from those landmark albums, within five seconds of the opening riffs. Appetite is wall-to-wall great, as close as you can get to a flawless hard-rock album, and every track from it still thunders with almost embarrassing catharsis.

Even the lesser songs from Use Your Illusion felt resonant in the wayback-machine atmosphere of the concert. I’ve never before felt so rocked by “Estranged,” and likely never will be again, but damned if Becca and I weren’t singing along that night. I didn’t even know I knew the words. (For the life of me, I can’t remember them now.) That’s the power of a great concert. It makes the silly sublime and the ridiculous raw, and the outdated and cheesy becomes timely and resonant, for those precious few hours in which it’s happening. It’s all a bit goofy, just like the crowd dressed up like they were in their youth, and it’s fair to cop to the dangerous sway of nostalgia in popular culture at large. But it’s also fair to admit that everyone needs a win now and then, and for the people who paid to see Guns N’ Roses kick some ass on Friday night, that was a win. The world may have passed them and their musical tastes by, but for a brief moment, everyone deserves to feel cool again. Except me. I had beer spilled all over me.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:36 pm

A SOLO RECORD FROM AXL? - HIS LOVE OF MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS

Back in the 90s, Axl had toyed with the idea of releasing a solo record [see previous chapter] which eventually didn't happen, although one could argue that his ideas for solo music might have been incorporated into some of the music written during the Chinese Democracy era, released or unreleased, although writing for that album was a group effort [see previous chapter]. In 2016, Axl was asked if he now wanted to do a solo record:

No, not really. Unless it were say like instrumental sound track stuff.

And when asked what was still on his bucket list:

Bucket list…umm….. I… I really haven't thought of that. It'd probably be worth doing some soundtrack material or something like that.

Axl would also talk about his preferred way of composing music:

I feel that I've been most successful if I start with lyrics and melody first. That doesn’t mean always. I mean, Coma, I wrote that to the music. But... I can do that, but I feel like after Appetite I haven't really ever found a way to be back in the position of writing lyrics and melody first. It's usually the other way around. I would say that is not necessarily from other people… after old Guns- or the Appetite/Illusions lineup broke up 'cause I would say that was more from me being in a weaker state so I worked with artists who were getting the music / the instrumental stuff strong first then put the lyrics and me to rise to that. But I think that for me, it's better if I'm putting a - unless I am intentionally writing instrumental- it would be lyrics and melody first.

And in 2018, Axl would again talk about wanting to score movies:

Listening to movie soundtracks is a big thing for me. When you listen to stuff like Pirates Of The Caribbean and you get that blend of orchestra and modern instrumentation – it’s very clever. I have a lot of respect for the guys who do that. It is something that I would like to do at some point in the future.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:37 pm

JULY 6 AND 9, 2016
STEVEN JOINS THE BAND FOR TWO SHOWS; DID IZZY REHEARSE WITH THE BAND?

If we played together, the whole arena would cry with joy. I go all around the world, I travel, and people always ask me, 'When are you gonna do a reunion? When are you gonna do a reunion?' And I want more than anything to be able to say, 'Oh, we're gonna do it on this day. Or this day.'

--------------------------------------------------------
After Chicago, the band did a show at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati, OH, USA, on July 6 and then at the Nissan Stadium in Nashville, TN, USA, on July 9.

For both shows, Steven joined the band to play on Out Ta Get Me and My Michelle. This would be the first time Steven had played with Guns N' Roses since Farm Aid, April 7, 1990.

July 6, 2016
Arian Buhler
July 9, 2016
Cory Wasnewsky

Steven and Slash in Cincinnati
July 6, 2016
Steven and Axl in Cincinnati
July 6, 2016

Frank and Dizzy would be asked how they felt about Steven joining:

Loved it. I’m a Guns fan from the start, so it was very, very cool. We took an extended musical break after “Better” and set up my drums for Steven, and he slid right in and did his thing on “Out Ta Get Me” and “My Michelle.” The fans went ape, and it was so great to see him up there. Nothing but love from me, man.

I was really happy for Steven and really happy for the fans and I think it was wonderful, I really do.

Chip Z'Enuff, Steven's previous bandmate and friend, would mention having talked to Steven from Cincinatti:

I used to live with Steven for 5 years. I toured with him, I've played gigs with him. He's talked about this for years - 'Chip, we should just get together and go out and play like we did in the early days,' 'Let's do it for the fans who helped provide us with a wonderful cushy life,' 'Those songs are great, a template of how it all started, I just want to be a part of it,' 'I want to give back and say thank you to everybody who's been involved in supporting us through the years.' That's the attitude. Look at the tour, it's kicking ass right now, they're all having a great time. Steven called me from Slash's bus after the Cincinnati show. You could just hear it in his voice how excited he was, all the enthusiasm there was he's so happy about life, because it happened after all the years of sitting and waiting. The wounds have healed, they are back together again, and the shows are strong. And Axl has really showed me a different side of him. I have nothing admiration for how he's carried himself through this.

And Steven himself would look back at the show:

And then they called me, and I [went], 'Holy shit! Here it comes. This is gonna be so awesome.' I'm still smiling about it. I have dreams about it. My wife goes, 'What are you smiling about? You're sleeping and you're smiling.' And I go, 'I was on stage in front of seventy thousand people with Slash and Duff and Axl.' I just wish Izzy as there, but, shit, I got to do it. Thank you, God. 'Cause I wanted it for twenty-six years. All I did every day was, 'Please, God, let this happen. Let this happen. I wanna play with them again. I wanna do this.' For twenty-six years, every time I'd go out, people — not just one or two, but five, six, ten people, especially when I'd do a show, it was hundreds — [they'd ask me] 'When are you going to get back together?' And I wish I could say it would have been… Well, we would have never broke up, if I had a say.

And so one day, I think, like, July 3rd or July 4th, they called me and said, ‘You wanna come down to Cincinnati and Nashville?’ And I said, ‘Yeah. When?’ And they said, ‘Tomorrow.’ So, of course, I got on a plane, I went, I got to jam with them, and it was great. It’s just not the same. I was thinking it was gonna be the same as it was twenty-five years ago, but not having Izzy [Stradlin] there, and just playing one or two songs, it was very hurtful and heartbreaking for me. And Richard [Fortus] is a phenomenal guitar player — he’s a great guitar player — and the crazy thing is, from ten feet away, he fucking looks like Izzy. And they asked me to go to… they said either Japan or Australia or Thailand, and I said I’m not gonna fly twenty thousand miles to play one or two songs. It’s just too much.

And discuss whether he only did two songs for tour-insurance reasons:

They already had Frank, so God forbid I couldn't do it, then there was Frank. So it's not an insurance thing. They just didn't give me the opportunity. It's cheaper to just have Frank. I mean, they were only paying me… not that much. I was doing it — 'cause, thank God, I don't need the money that bad — I was doing it because I wanted to play with them, and I wanted to play for the fans. 'Cause Frank is a great drummer, but he does not play the way Steven Adler plays, and Steven Adler doesn't play the way Matt plays, and Matt doesn't play the way Frank plays. We all have our own style, but my style is the one that is on those records that everybody grew up listening to and [made] memories to. So when Frank is playing those songs, he's not playing them right. He's just really a great time keeper. I mean, put it this way: they were playing 'Brownstone'… I didn't know they were playing 'Brownstone' until all of a sudden they started singing the chorus. I went, 'That was 'Brownstone'?' 'Brownstone' you know instantly. I came up with a kickass groove. You know that. And I'm standing, going, 'What song is this?' But, like I said, we all have our own styles.

And whether he got paid:

Oh, yeah. They gave me a couple of bucks. They’re good guys with that. But still, to be on the side of the stage and to watch somebody else play the songs, it’s heartbreaking.

Excerpts from review by Gil Kaufman in Billboard on July 7, 2016:

Steven Adler Reunites With Guns N’ Roses at Cincinnati Gig

The packed crowd at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati, Ohio, were already jacked to see the version of Guns N’ Roses they’d been promised — the reunited one featuring guitarist Slash, singer Axl Rose and alarmingly healthy looking bassist Duff McKagan. And through about their first hour or so on a muggy night in The Jungle (because that’s what they call the Cincinnati Bengals football stadium, after all), those fans had no complaints. Axl and three-fifths of the members of the once baddest band in the world rocketed through an opening salvo that included “It’s So Easy,” “Mr. Brownstone,” “Welcome to the Jungle,” “Double Talkin’ Jive” and an appropriately epic cover of Wings’ “Live and Let Die.”

Slash played some fiery solos, Axl changed inappropriate t-shirts a few times and ran all over the stage showing no signs of lingering pain from a broken foot he suffered just before the tour kicked off. Oh, and long-estranged drummer Steven Adler came out and jammed on two songs.

Did not see that coming. “On the drums, you might know this guy. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Steven Adler!” Axl announced to everyone’s shock and awe just moments after the band finished the one-two of “Sweet Child O’ Mine” and “Better.” And there he was in all his glory, Adler’s voluminous blonde hair spilling out onto the shoulders of some kind of army jacket covered in patches, his signature crooked grin lighting up the stage.

It was the sight GNR fans had been waiting for since Rose announced the original lineup was getting back together for the Not In This Lifetime tour and everyone asked “but where’s Steven?” (and original rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin, but that gulf seems too wide to bridge.)

The energy in the crowd was electric as Adler bashed away on “Out Ta Get Me,” the grin on his face reason enough for think that some detente had been reached and Guns might be (nearly) whole again for the first time since 1990. Rose continued working his way up and across and around the ramps on the stage flanked by two enormous video screens, wearing a black “The Bitch Is Back” t-shirt, his red, shoulder-length hair held back by a red bandana. “I guess we should do another one,” Rose said, keeping touring drummer Frank Ferrer on ice for a few more minutes.

It was Adler’s first appearance with the band since 1990, but you wouldn’t have known it listening to “My Michelle,” which hit a groove early and ended with Slash, sweat streaming off his arms and dripping from his signature curly black mop of hair hidden under a top hat, hopping up to the riser to give Adler a hug.

Adler gifted his sticks to an audience member and Rose seemed to almost smile as he said again, “ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Steven Adler.” And just like that, the dream was over again as Slash and Stradlin’s replacement, guitarist Richard Fortus, played a duet on Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here,” which segued into Derek and the Dominos’ “Layla” and then an overstuffed “November Rain.” [...]

Chris Stapleton, who opened for the band for the second show, would mention meeting Axl after the show:

Axl's assistant contacted Dave and wanted us to both come back there, and we brought our wives back and said hey. It was cool. He was great. Very polite and gracious and we got to say hi for a few minutes. I'm sure he was tired and had to go get cleaned up before the buses or planes rolled out, but he was a gentleman and we had a brief conversation about music and both went on our way. It was a good night.

JULY 9: "WHERE'S IZZY?" AND DID HE REHEARSE WITH THE BAND?

Concert-goer Caroline Campos would claim here sign with "Where's Izzy" was confiscated on orders by the band during the July 9 show in Nashville:

Last night I had this 'Where's Izzy' sign. If you know about Guns N' Roses and you've seen the 'Don't Cry' music video, you get it. If not, it's a reference to Izzy Stradlin who left the band and is not currently touring with the other four original members. So when the original drummer Steven Adler came out to play his set, I held up my sign with cheers from most of the people in my section. Axl looked at my sign and started laughing and said 'That's a good question!' He seemed to appreciate the sign. I put the sign away during actual performances so I wouldn't block the people behind me, only held it up between songs when the lights came on. About 10 to 15 minutes later, while GnFnR was playing 'November Rain,' our section got swarmed by security AND stage crew (with headsets on). They went row by row asking 'Who has the sign?? Who has the 'Where's Izzy sign'?' Most everyone in my section acted like they had no idea. Eventually, they made it to the row behind me and saw the sign tucked under my chair. A guy in jeans and a black shirt tapped my shoulder and said 'Is that your sign? You need to give it to me.' I said 'Why? Who are you?' He showed a badge and said, 'I'm with the band and they've asked for the sign to be removed.' I said, 'We aren't allowed to have signs?? But I read that...' and he cut me off and said, 'You can't have THAT sign. Give it to me.' I gave it to him and he walked away folding and ripping it up. Axl Rose hasn't changed a bit!

The story would be contested by a band representative:

GN'R would never make this request! Izzy is family!

Campos would afterwards state that it had been Fernando Lebeis who had confiscated her sign [Classic Rock, July 13, 2016].

A poster on the GN'R forum GNR Evolution would also claim she had spotted Izzy backstage prior to the show, and that he had been in a foul mood [GN'R Evolution, July 16, 2016].

Niven would corroborate this in 2018 by claiming that Izzy had rehearsed once with the band:

[Izzy] did get as far as flying out and doing a sound check and then he left after the sound check, he didn't want to have anything to do with it.

Being asked when this rehearsal happened:

Last year. It was somewhere out in the Midwest somewhere when they were doing the stadiums- [...] and, you know, obviously had it gone well and everybody being happy and, you know, had there been a little bit of brotherhood, you know, I'm sure he would have stayed with it. But something must have really upset him because he left after the soundcheck and never turned up for another one or an appearance. And I would think that right now he's probably a little pissed off.

In May 2018, Fernando Lebeis was asked whether it was true Izzy had rehearsed with the band but refuse to answer:

I am not going to comment on my friend Izzy, I love and adore him.  So I would just ignore questions pertaining to him, ok?

Later in the same month, Niven would again talk about this rehearsal and Izzy leaving and claim that Axl had got upset when Niven had mentioned it in February:

Let's get something straight and clear first, I didn't break that news. The fact that Izzy went out to - wherever it was - it was Nashville or somewhere like that, yeah I knew of it in the moment but it was also all over a GN'R chat room where somebody who was there and hanging out with the band was talking about it and they put it up in the chat room and no one seemed to care then but, you know, apparently Axl got upset when I mentioned it. But, you know, yeah, he did turn up and do a sound check and he did leave after the soundcheck and obviously something upset him.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:11 am; edited 5 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:40 pm

AXL'S LOVE OF FILM MUSIC

The music of Guns N' Roses had been featured on the soundtracks to the movies End of Days (Oh My God) and Big Daddy (Sweet Child O' Mine) and there had been speculations on GN'R songs also being featured on the soundtracks to What Dreams May Come (This I Love), Black Hawk Down (Welcome to the Jungle), Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2 (unknown and possible bogus), as well as If The World being played in Body of Lies.

In 2016, Axl would talk about his love for film music and how that was what he mainly listened to:

I mainly listen to the music that’s playing during movies. I like the soundtracks. [...] It can be anything. It can be the theme to the Pirates of Caribbean or it can be- [...] Gladiator and Equalizer and stuff like that. They are all different styles. I like the blend of orchestra with modern instrumentation.

When asked if he had been offered to write movie scores he would say he would have preferred that to continuing with Guns N' Roses:

No, I haven't been asked, it is something I wanted to do and it was kind of, more like, really hard not to just go in that direction. Forget about Guns n' Roses. I was more interested in that than in staying in Guns n' Roses. It would have been easier- and more fun.

And also talk about how film music had influenced the music on Chinese Democracy:

I have a lot of respect for people that do that [=compose movie music]. On Chinese Democracy most of the orchestration on that is kind of like three electronic orchestras and two real orchestras. One's Marco Beltrami, one's Paul Buckmaster- who did a lot of Rolling Stones and Man Across the Water Elton John stuff and we blended all of those orchestras together. It was like I did an electronic one, Chris Pitman and Dizzy Reed both did theirs then we would blend those and blend them with two real orchestras. So it's like a five hundred piece orchestra that [indecipherable as interviewer talks over him].
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:40 pm

JULY 12-31, 2016
THE TOUR CONTINUES

For the summer touring Richard would be joined by his daughters (8 and 11 at the time):

This last summer they came out for the first time for a couple weeks. And it was great. It's really great to have them out. [...] Touring with GN'R's super easy because when you're playing stadiums you have to have a few days in between. So we only play three to four shows a week. You know, and usually three shows a week. So that gives us, you know, plenty of time off. So yeah, and they love being at the venues. Their biggest thrill I think was the go karts backstage or the golf carts backstage, you know, they love that.

The next show took place at Heinz Field in Pittsburg, PA, USA (July 12), next followed a show at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, PA, USA (July 14).

July 12, 2016
Dawud West
July 14, 2016
Arian Buhler

Audience in Pittsburg
July 12, 2016
Frank in Pittburg
July 12, 2016
Slash in Philadelphia
July 14, 2016
Axl in Philadelphia
July 14, 2016

Tommy would come watch the show in Philly after having attend the show in Kansas City on June 29:

[laughs] I’m actually going to see them again tomorrow! I just went and saw them [in Kansas City] with a buddy of mine. I think, for all practical purposes, he wanted to go and wanted a comrade to go with. And I told him, “You know what? Let’s go.” He got me a ticket and we had a fantastic time.

All of those people are my friends -- the band guys, the crew guys. The only one I don’t know is Slash. I don’t think I’ve ever really met him. But I’m friends with all of them -- Axl included. Even Izzy!

So, I’m going to see them in Philadelphia with some friends because I had such a good time. It was fantastic. It was great to see it on the other side and not having to be in it. And I mean that as no disrespect. But, when you’re in it -- when you’re in the cacophony with the ear monitors -- you can’t really appreciate what the fans see on the other side.

I want to watch it as a show and hang out with the people and go, “Fuck! This is goddamn fun.”

It’s been fun for me. I’m not an ambassador of goodwill because I need to be. They’re my friends and I’m glad for them. They’re having fun, so I’m going to go see them and say "Hi" to my buddies.

I’ve seen Guns n’ Roses twice now with the whole band and he is kicking ass and I’m very happy for [Axl]. I’m really happy for all my friends who are in that band.

You know I saw a couple of those show and I thought they were great and I thought Axl was singing his butt off. I had a good time watching them from a distance, it was fun to be on the other side of that show.  So yeah, cool stuff.

I think it was really super important for Axl to get the [GN'R reunion] going on and put some stuff behind him that I think has been sitting inside him. I think something has happened to him and it's completely f---ing awesome and it makes me really happy. I've known the guy for almost 20 years now; I've never seen him look better. He sounds better than ever. He's a completely different guy. I couldn't be happier for him.

I saw two shows [of the reunion tour]. I went with a buddy and saw the show in Kansas City and I saw them again in Philadelphia with some other friends. They were great shows. I was glad to be able to check them out. They're all still my buds, people I'm pretty close to and will always be. It was cool to see Slash. I'd never seen him before, so it was cool to see the guy that actually played those parts that way, and hear how they're supposed to sound.

hey’re having a ball and fucking killing it. I’ve seen 2 shows, they’re great. They’re all really happy and it seems to be drama free.

Excerpts from review by Dan DeLuca in Philadelphia Inquirer on July 15, 2016:

Guns N' Roses makes a welcome return to Philly

Axl Rose appreciates your patronage, but would find it perfectly reasonable if you had given up on him by now.

"Thank you so much for coming," the still-snake-dancing 54-year-old redheaded Guns N' Roses singer said to a Lincoln Financial Field full of fans Thursday night near the start of the hard-rock band's first Philadelphia show in more than 20 years with its "classic lineup." "I would have understood if you didn't."

Rose's empathy with the exasperation of his long-suffering fans was understandable as well. After a half-decade run - from 1987's Appetite for Destruction to 1993's cover collection The Spaghetti Incident? - the Los Angeles band married metal-edged energy with Stonesy swagger and, before they were swallowed up by their own excesses, were one of the most popular bands in the world.

Since then, not much. The 2008 album Chinese Democracy is underrated in retrospect, but it was rejected at the time by fans who correctly considered it to be the work of Axl Rose and a bunch of guys, rather than the genuine GN'R article.

In 2012, when Rose was asked whether the band's key players would ever make amends and get back together, he curtly replied: "Not in this lifetime."

But "never" never means "never" in the rock-and-roll reunion business. And four years on, here we are, with Rose, bass player Duff McKagan, and more crucially musically and visually, stovepipe-hat-wearing guitarist Slash, all buddying up to one another once again in what, naturally, has been branded the #NotInThisLifetime tour. [...]

On a South Philly night so sweltering that everyone would have welcomed a cold "November Rain" - the title of a grandiose Use Your Illusion epic the band got around to (complete with a "Layla" piano intro) toward the end of a two-hour-plus set - Rose performed with a level of professionalism that his younger self might not have recognized.

He's not capable of the screeching-cat vocal power that he had in his prime, and in his matador hat, ripped jeans, and dangling silver crucifixes, he's beginning to look like a Sunset Strip-rocker version of celebrity chef Mario Batali.

But Rose appeared punctually, instantly bettering the infamous no-show incident that caused a near riot when he blew off an arena show in South Philly in 2002, and sang in tune.  And with Slash joined by second lead player Richard Fortus, he moved around remarkably well considering he broke his foot in April and led the way through a career-spanning set that sounded undistinguished and sludgy at the start (when his lower register vocals were barely audible) but gathered force as the evening wore on.

In the band that included drummer Frank Ferrer and two keyboard players in longtime GN'Rer Dizzy Reed and newbie Melissa Reese, Slash (real name: Saul Hudson) took prominence. Long-lost guitarist and unheralded songwriter Izzy Stradlin, who is not on board with the reunion, is much missed.

But it's the interplay between Rose and Slash that people who've spent 20 years watching bad cover bands try their hands at "Welcome to the Jungle" came to see. And Slash, for his part, did not disappoint, playing by turns fiery and lyrical leads all night long. He cranked it up on a cover of Wings' "Live And Let Die" (sorry, not equal to the version Paul McCartney played across the street at Citizens Bank Park two nights before), teamed with Fortus on a crowd-pleasing guitar duet on Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" and delivered a particularly enjoyable segue from "Speak Softly, Love (Love Theme From The Godfather)" into a sweeping and soaring "Sweet Child O' Mine."

The band continued to their first show in Canada, at the Rogers Centre in Toronto, ON, Canada (July 16), then followed two shows at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA, USA (July 19 and 20).

July 16, 2016
Geoff May
July 19, 2016
Tim Butler
July 20. 2016
Tim Butler

From stage, Axl would recount how the band had been detained while entering Canada because one if the crew had a gun:

You did what? What? ‘Oh, yeah, we found a gun.’ So we weren’t exactly arrested, we were detained. They were very nice. They were very nice. They were very understanding. You know, it happens — you can forget you had a fucking gun. Wasn’t my gun.

This wouldn't be the first time a gun was a problem when GN'R were entering Canada, it also happened in August 1987 while touring with the Cult and Axl was stopped because he carried a stun gun which were illegal in Canada [Spin, 1988].

Axl and Slash in Toronto
July 16, 2016
Dizzy in Toronto
July 16, 2016
Frank in Foxboro
July 20, 2016
Richard in Foxboro
July 20, 2016

The band then travelled to East Rutherford, NJ, USA, for two shows at Metlife Stadium on July 23 and 24.

July 23, 2016
Scott Sandler
July 24, 2016
Arian Buhler

Axl, East Rutherford
July 24, 2016
Duff and Slash, East Rutherford
July 24, 2016

Playing two nights at Giant Stadium [=Metlife Stadium] in the city where I lived most of my life, New York, was a huge thrill.

At one of the shows in New Jersey, Melissa got sick from having eaten too much candy before the show:

I didn't know what to do! I swallowed it because I didn't want it all over my rig.

The next two shows took place at Georgia Dome in Atlanta, GA, USA (July 27) and at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, FL, USA (July 29).

July 27, 2016
Geoff May

July 29, 2016
Arian Buhler

For the July 29 show at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, the band asked Gilby to come and play with them but Gilby declined since he prioritized to support his daughter Frankie who was playing with her band (Frankie + The Studs) that same day on Lollapalooza:

They did [invite me to play with them]. Yeah, they did. When it first started, they did reach out to me to come and play. My daughter, Frankie, has a band [Frankie + The Studs]. They asked me the same day my daughter's band was playing Lollapalooza [in July 2016], which was like the biggest break for her band. It was the same day they were playing Lollapalooza and I had to be there, and I couldn't really give that up to go [jam with GN'R]. I have nothing against it. It's just that didn't work out for me.

Slash and Axl in Atlanta
July 27, 2016
The band in Atlanta
July 27, 2016

Orlando had recently been the site for a terrible mass shooting at a gay nightclub, and the band would show their solidarity to the victims and the city:

Additional poster
Pat Halloran
Supportive message
July 29, 2016

Duff, Orlando
July 29, 2016
Melissa, Orlando
July 29, 2016

The next show took place at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, LA, USA, on July 31.

July 31, 2016
Pat Halloran

Melissa and Richard in New Orleans
July 31, 2016
Axl and Slash in New Orleans
July 31, 2016

Last edited by Soulmonster on Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:24 pm

MORE SHOWS ADDED TO THE NITL TOUR; TOUR TO CONTINUE INTO 2017

During one of his pre-show media talks, Dale 'Opie' Skjelseth, tour production manager, would say the band intended to continue into 2017 with the Not In The Lifetime tour not having an actual end date:

I've been told there's no end date, and I've seen plenty of dates going into next year, far into next year. Everybody's working together to keep a common goal and common direction: keep the machine going.

This had already been alluded to by Axl at the China Exchange interview in mid-2016:

We… I hope to keep this [touring] going for a quite a while. It's just really- we're right now- it's all good. I mean obviously that could just explode. But no, everything is actually good between everybody so as long as we can keep it going we probably will.

Opie would also comment on the band members having separate dressing rooms:

Just because everybody's older, they carry their families with them. They all have to have their space.

And the punctuality and professionalism of the tour:

We're all older and want to get to bed now. We were all young. Even I was young. It's [Axl's] maturity and business and how it should be. Everybody feels good about it. He's here before the guys, the rest of them, some days. He comes in, he shows up, gets out of the car, goes on stage. Sometimes he stays on site.

Then, during the fall of 2016, it was formally announced that the Not In This Lifetime tour would continue in 2017, including shows to take place in Australia and Japan [GunsNRoses.com, August 16, 2016], Singapore [GunsNRoses.com, October 10, 2016], and Bangkok [GunsNRoses.com, November 13, 2016].

In December, 35 shows in 2017 in Europe and North America were announced on a continuation of the Not In This Lifetime Tour [GunsNRoses.com, December 4, 2016; Blabbermouth, December 4, 2016]. More shows for North America was added in May 2017 with openers including ZZ Top, Deftones, Sturgill Simpson, Royal Blood, LĪVE, and Our Lady Peace [Press Release (Live Nation), May 25, 2017].

2017 tour announcement
December 9, 2016

In May 2017, Richard would talk about the band's extensive touring plans, including another leg in South America in the second half of 2017:

And then [after the European tour in the summer of '17] I think we go back to South America right after, it's going to be the next, after this two months, it's going to be pretty full on for a while. There's not much time off.

For South America, The Who would co-headline two of the shows, September 23rd at Rio de Janeiro’s Rock in Rio Festival and October 1st at at Estadio Único De La Plata in Buenos Aires, Argentina. [Consequence, May 7, 2017].

In July 217, additional shows were added to the NITL tour in North America to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the release of Appetite for Destruction [Press Release, July 21, 2017; and see later chapter].
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:27 pm

AUGUST 2, 2016
SLASH RECORDS COVER VERSION OF 'ROCKET MAN' FOR THE MOVIE STUNTMAN

On August 2, it was reported that Slash together with Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators had recorded a cover version of Elton John's Rocket Man in honor of Eddie Braun's attempt at Evel Knievel's jump across Idaho's Snake River Canyon [Blabbermouth, August 2, 2016]. The song was to be used as the theme music for Braun's Kickstarter campaign [Blabbermouth, August 2, 2016].

Braun would explain how it had happened:

I approached the rock icon Slash, who I knew to be an Evel Knievel fan, and asked if he would be interested in being involved with my rocket project. He gave us the most awesome gift we could ever dream: a theme song! Slash got permission from Sir Elton John to re-record his 1972 hit song 'Rocket Man' specifically for our project. Slash suggested we include the song with every reward so every single backer of our Kickstarter campaign gets it. So that's what we're doing! I'm so honored to have been given the most epic theme song, by the most epic guitarist of all time!
Blabbermouth, August 2, 2016

The song would end up on the soundtrack to the movie Stuntman.

Poster for Stuntman
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:32 pm

AUGUST 5-22, 2016
THE NORTH AMERICAN TOUR ENDS; STEVEN JOINS AGAIN

The next two shows took place at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, TX, USA, on August 3 and at the NRG Stadium in Houston, TX, USA, on August 5.

August 3, 2016
Geoff May
August 5, 2016
Pat Halloran

During the show in Houston, Axl suffered technical issues with his piano during November Rain:

Axl Rose battles rogue piano at Guns N' Roses Houston show

Guns N’ Roses frontman Axl Rose could only laugh as his piano went rogue during a performance of November Rain. Rose’s piano mysteriously starts playing unplanned high notes about four minutes and 20 seconds into the performance of the song at the band’s recent show at the NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas. [...] The singer at first looks confused by the notes before realising there is a problem with the equipment, asking his stage tech: “What the fuck is that, can we stop it at least?” He sees the funny side, saying later in the song: “I don’t mind ghosts or gremlins, but they should probably learn the fucking song.”

Excerpts of review of the show in Houston by Pete Vonder Haar in Houston Press:

Slash Is King as Guns N' Roses Returns to Houston

[...]

As convenient as it would be at this point to call the reconstituted Gunners' return to Houston a failure, it would also be dishonest. It was an almost three-hour show, long on crowd favorites, with only a few low points to offset the overall high quality of the show, quality which can largely be attributed to Slash.

Friday night's show afforded the guitarist numerous opportunities to show his stuff, which he did during blistering solos during the likes of "Estranged," "Civil War," and — curiously — the theme from The Godfather. With his signature top hat and Les Paul (only set aside for a handful of songs, one of which, amusingly enough, was "Chinese Democracy"), it was like being transported back to a simpler time, when gas prices were low and a Clinton was running for President.

It was refreshing to see everybody in relatively decent shape, as well. Axl galloped around the stage as usual, only a step or two slower than the old days, while Duff roamed the stage lean and mean, a walking memorial in his Lemmy T-shirt and sporting the Prince symbol on his bass. It was, by most measures, a triumphant return, with an appreciative NRG Stadium crowd cheering them on.

But let's be honest; there's no reason for this show to be pushing three hours. For starters, none of the three(!) included cuts from Chinese Democracy received anything but polite applause, and including one in the encore instead of "Patience" or "My Michelle" or any of a dozen better tracks is nigh inexcusable. Also, "Estranged" more than meets the recommended daily allowance of bloated cuts from the Use Your Illusion albums.

But as obnoxiously pretentious as "November Rain" is, you have to give Axl credit for rolling with the flow when the audio on his piano cut out. 25 years ago, he would have thrown the bench into the crowd and (probably) called us assholes. Last night, he only briefly halted the song before continuing with the muted keyboard. Lets hear it for maturity.

And no offense to Axl and his rotating retinue of former axemen, but without Slash, this is merely an above average gig, and "GN'R" is back playing to a two-thirds full Toyota Center.

Personal Bias: Not to get all inside baseball-y, but the Houston Press almost didn’t review this, thanks to GN'R’s publicist withholding press credentials because of “hurtful comments” yours truly made in my review of the band’s 2011 show. I’d like to point out two things: first, my review of that gig was a favorable one, and any “hurtful” comments were presented specifically to be countered later on. Second, in contrast, I slagged Mumford and Sons in their first Houston appearance, yet somehow they let me come back to review them again. Conclusion: Axl Rose is a bigger crybaby than Marcus Mumford.

The Crowd: How was there a GN'R show without any fights? You people are old.

Overheard In the Crowd: "Axl's great! Who cares if he's racist?"

Random Notebook Dump: "Slash and Mick Mars need to do a tour. Call themselves the 'Defibrillators.'"

Skrillex opened for GN'R at the show in Houston and would talk about the experience:

I wanted to warm up the crowd and entertain them so that by the time Guns N' Roses came on they were semi-turnt. I put in my big songs and of course remixed them and did mash-ups. I threw in a bunch of old metal songs, as well. That was my preparation: throwing in Iron Maiden, Metallica, Pantera. On 'Purple Lamborghini,' I threw the Lemmy a cappella from 'Ace of Spades' on the instrumental, so it had a little bit of Rick Ross and a little bit of Lemmy. [...] I'm not gonna lie — and this is what I expected too — when I stepped onstage, people were sitting down and were like, 'What the fuck?' After a few songs, I started throwing in some of the metal remixes and pitched them all to be in the same key as the ones I was mixing them with so it felt like a really smooth set," he says. "There was definitely moments when I threw in Queen or threw in the first Metallica sample, and people were like 'Oh shit.' It became a big sing-a-long. [...] I wanted to entertain people. It wasn't a selfish thing. I didn't want to make a statement or do the opposite and be like, 'Fuck you.' I wanted to create something for the fans that they could remember.

And talking about watching GN'R's set:

It doesn't matter who you are, but when you see them, it's so beautiful. It's like watching a freestyle rapper when Slash solos. He keeps dropping bar after bar. It's really entertaining.

After the Houston show the band had six more shows to go at this leg of the tour:

Only 6 more shows of the GNR US tour 2 go!! How can that be?!! Say it ain't so!!😳😫Crying or Very sad
Twitter, August 7, 2016

The band continued to San Francisco, CA, USA, for a show at AT&T Park on August 9, to Seattle, WA, USA, for a show at CenturyLink Field on August 12 and to University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, AZ, USA, for a show on August 15.

August 9, 2016
Pat Halloran
August 12, 2016
Pat Halloran
August 15, 2016
Geoff May

For the show in Seattle, Richard would claim Duff had bought 100 tickets to hand out to friends and family:

I'm seriously thinking about buying, or having them set aside, at least 100 for me [for the St. Louis show in July 2017]. That's what Duff did in Seattle when we played Seattle. And he had to buy them.

Melissa, Seattle
August 12, 2016
Slash and Axl, Seattle
August 12, 2016
Axl, Glendale
August 15, 2016
The band, Glendale
August 15, 2016

In November,  Melissa would talk about how the tour was going and specifically mention the show in Seattle:

The fans are great. My bandmates are the coolest, most chill dudes ever. They’re like big brothers and mentors to me. For me, the most fun has been playing CenturyLink Field because I’m from Seattle and I’m a huge Seahawks fan, so I dressed up in crazy Seahawks gear. The crowd was totally lit!

Review of the show in Seattle by Charles R. Cross in Seattle Times:

Guns N’Roses scores at CenturyLink Field

It is certain that most of the 44,000 people inside CenturyLink Field Friday (August 12) thought they would never see Guns N’ Roses onstage again. That included the band, as well, whose memebers infamously hated each other so much that singer Axl Rose didn’t appear at the band’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction.

But Rose was indeed onstage Friday for the “Not in This Lifetime” tour. With several different flannel shirts around his waist during the night and multiple ridiculous hats, Rose looked cartoonish, but his voice generally held up. “Mr. Brownstone,” the second song of the night, the band’s ode to heroin, proved that.

In the nineties, GNR was the biggest-selling band in the world and Rose was the Donald Trump of rock, always saying outrageous things and feuding with everyone (including Nirvana), but most often with his own bandmates. Rose said very little Friday, as if he were tethered by the big bucks reunion cash, but he ran around the stage frantically.

Songs like “Welcome to the Jungle” and “Sweet Child O’ Mine” were also fueled by guitarist Slash.

Seattle-bred bassist Duff McKagan was also on hand, though former Guns N’Roses members Izzy Stradlin and Steven Adler were not invited on this tour.

GNR played its hits, but the show also included numerous covers. Wings’ “Live and Let Die” was peppy, Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here” was weird and McKagan sang the Misfits’ “Attitude.” Bob Dylan’s “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” scorched. The Who’s “The Seeker” was entirely un-mod-like and snippets of Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton and Led Zeppelin appeared within songs, too.

It was a generous, two hour-plus set, but the covers helped reinforce that this band’s main contribution to music history was a “rawk” aesthetic that largely borrowed from true originators.

Yet few in the CenturyLink crowd came for song craft or originality. They came instead to hear Axl belt out the night’s closer, “Paradise City,” to see McKagan muscle the beat and to hear Slash essentially steal the show with a brilliant “Godfather” “love theme” solo.

When the only violence onstage at a Guns N’ Roses show comes from purely mental images of Mafia movie clips, you know you’ve seen a one-of-a-kind tour. Almost for certain — not in our lifetimes? — will we see this particular spectacle again. But then we’ve said that before.

McKagan’s daughter’s band, The Pink Slips, and Alice in Chains opened the show.

The end of the tour came with three shows in California, two shows at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, on August 18 and 19 and one show at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego on August 22.

August 18, 2016
Arian Buehler
August 19, 2016
Arian Buehler
August 22, 2016
Arian Buehler
August 22, 2016
By Sara Ray

For the second show at Dodger Stadium, Steven was again present to drum on Out Ta Get Me and My Michelle.

Slash and Steven
August 19, 2016
Duff
August 19, 2016

Arlett Vereecke, the band's former publicist, attended one of the shows at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles:

I mean, the first one... I went to Dodger Stadium for the first reunion and the crew came up to me and said, "Hey, what do you think?" I said, "It was great," they said, "And...?" I said, "Yes, it was great, what do you want me to say? They played fantastic," he said, "Okay, spit it out." [laughs] Well, there's nothing to spit out, you know, I said, "Okay, let me tell it for you, you miss the fact that there is nobody behind you with a knife, right?" [laughs] I said, "The danger factor isn't there," he said, "Well, there is that." [laughs]. That's the only thing that is different, it's very... But that's the same with Van Halen, these reunion tours are great but it is not the excitement that they had, day in day out, when they were younger, and that is something, you know, I would say I missed. But musically they were fantastic.

After this final show of the tour leg in San Diego, Slash and Axl would send out thank you tweets:

It's been nothing short of an amazing tour. & San Diego was a kick ass finale; thanks 4 your incredible response tonight. Cheers! iiii]; )'
Twitter, August 23, 2016

Thank U San Diego!! Thank U USA!! Every show, every audience was pretty overwhelming! Let's get together again some time!!🎉💥🍾🎟🎤🎸🔊🔊🔊
Twitter, August 24, 2016

Special heartfelt Thanks to Alice in Chains, Tyler Bryant & the Shakedown, Chris Stapleton, Wolfmother, Billy Talent, Lenny Kravitz (cont.)
Twitter, August 24, 2016

The Cult, Skrillex, The Struts, The Pink Slips and Zakk Wylde!!
Twitter, August 24, 2016

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:42 pm

REACTIONS TO THE NOT IN THIS LIFETIME TOURING

As the touring progressed in 2016-2023, various people would comment on the tour and shows.

TRACII GUNS

I think it's the greatest thing there could be for rock and roll right now. People are gravitating to it by airplane loads. And they're sounding great. And Axl's sounding great. I'm just really glad to say that, hey, man, guys with real talent have real talent, and it just doesn't diminish because you age. Guns N' Roses just sounds as good as they ever did right now. [...] Well, it's kind of like the Pantera phenomenon," Tracii said. "Those guys, and Metallica to a point, they always had that air of mystery about 'em where people just gravitate toward. And that's a cool thing about Axl. All the hateful things that people said: 'Oh, he's gonna be late every night,' 'They're not gonna get along.' The coolest thing about Axl is he loves to prove people wrong. And he just did it again. And that's a great quality to have. He goes from being the reclusive guy, the untouchable, mysterious man to, 'Hey, no, I'm not. Here I am, onstage, on time, every night. And I'm also singing for AC/DC, and I'm great at it.' [Laughs]. It's, like, 'Wow!'

DJ

No I have not [seen any shows]. I would love to see that show. I could not be [more] happy for them that Slash and Duff are back with Axl. I would actually love to see the whole original line-up back on stage together and that’s the fanboy in me talking (laughs)! But as the band, they are now, I guess we’ll take what we can get for now. I’m extremely happy about the fact that those guys have sorted out their differences and can give the fans a chance to witness that chemistry that we all know so well from the early days.

MATT

What's going on now is great for them, but I was there when it was great too - probably the greatest. They're out there doing that, going on stage on time every night. Times have changed, haven't they?

TOMMY

I’ll be honest with you, I am stoked about the Guns N’ Roses reunion. All those guys are my buddies, except I don’t really know Slash. I don’t think I’ve ever met him. But all those guys are my friends and I’m glad they’re out doing it but I’d be lying if I said I missed that gig. [...] I miss the people a whole lot and obviously you miss the fans and stuff like that. But where I’m at in life right now, that’s just a whole thing that…I’m not saying I’d never do it again but I’m kind of glad I moved on from that.

GILBY

I’ve been saying from day one that I think it’s fantastic. It’s great for rock music, number one! I mean we all know that rock music has kind of taken a hit over the last ten years and I think by the success of this tour we can really help rock come to the forefront again. Look, I was a huge fan of Guns N’ Roses before I was in the band. I think it was a great band and to me there’s nothing better than seeing Slash and Axl back together again and I’m happy for them.

I think we all expected great things, I think we all thought that they were gonna sell out everywhere, but, to be honest, I didn't think that it would last this long and do this well; I definitely didn't expect that.

ALAN NIVEN

But what I would say is that I am genuinely awed by the workload that Axl has taken on both in the fact that the tour lasted for 18 months and the fact that he ended up performing for over three hours. Nobody saw that coming, absolutely nobody saw that coming. And you have to take your hat off to him individually for that workload. I mean, the guy's in his fifties and he's out there singing for three hours. I mean, you know, that kicks Pavarotti in the ass. [...] In terms of what they've done in the last year and a half, to be perfectly honest I am absolutely thrilled for Slash. He's playing better than he's ever played in his life.

RAZ CUE

[...] you know, the fact that they could come out and like haven't played in like 20 years or so and in stadiums, that's like kind of like unheard of, that's pretty shocking. I mean, think about all the band that have put out albums like every two years for like 20 years, and they were playing arenas and they might hit stadiums for a minute and then back to arenas, and now they're playing like, you know, large theaters or whatever. You know, like, they're like, "Man, these guys did nothing for 20 years and they're playing stadiums and have the biggest tour in the world, you know, what did we do wrong?" I mean, Motley Crue, like, they kind of dwindled away and they were huge back then. I mean, I'd say Mötley Crüe and Guns N' Roses were on the same level at some point, like in the 80s.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:43 pm

AUGUST 27-SEPTEMBER 20, 2016
AXL TOURS WITH AC/DC IN NORTH AMERICA

Only five days after having finished the North American leg of the Not In This Lifetime tour, Axl was back on the road singing, now fronting AC/DC again on their tour of North America playing postponed shows.

Axl and Angus; Florida
August 30, 2016
Axl, Angus and Williams; Greensboro
August 27, 2016

Review of the show in Greensboro in Volume Magazine Blog

Axl Rose fronted AC/DC leaves Greensboro thunderstruck

With Brian Johnson home nursing hearing problems – 46 years in front of Angus Young’s riffs blaring through a wall of amplifiers will do that to you – AC/DC enlisted Guns N’ Roses legendary frontman Axl Rose to lead the Aussie’s vocals on their “Rock or Bust” world tour.

A near sold out Greensboro Coliseum, donning red devil horns praised and bowed to the superstars in front of them. Axl – decked in his signature red bandana and diamond pendants swaying from his neck hardly hiding his erotic t-shirt – shined and presented his renowned squealing vocals while Angus – dressed in his famous blue velvet school boy outfit – shred on his black Gibson SG.

The two showman put on a remarkable performance, but it was Angus’ antics that stole the show. Between squirming on the floor, shuffling down the catwalk and ripping off his tie which he used to grind out guitar riffs, the 61-year old was jaw-dropping. It’s impossible not stand in awe as the co-founder of AC/DC mugs the audience while playing an incomparable 10-minute guitar solo.

AC/DC didn’t piss about and let their performance do the talking. Pyrotechnics spewing from the stage, a giant, inflatable “Rosie” and a train to hell set the mood while an all-encompassing 24-song set fulfilled the audiences’ wishes. From “High Voltage” to “Hells Bells” (which featured a giant bell that swung and clang from the ceiling) to “Rock or Bust,” AC/DC touched ’em all.

They even unveiled a once-in-a-lifetime treat for their longtime fans. The Aussies dusted off “Live Wire” from their debut album High Voltage and played the track for the first time since 1982. Fans welcomed the addition with massive praise and struggled to remain calm once they heard the tune. Perhaps AC/DC felt they owed Greensboro something special after rescheduling their original show date, further elevating North Carolinian’s anticipation.

Prior to heading out on tour, Rolling Stone asked Angus if this was the last hoorah for the hard rock band that’s captivated millions for over four decades.

"At this point, I don’t know. We were committed to finishing the tour. Who knows what I’ll feel after? When you sign on and say, ‘I’m gonna do this and that,’ it’s always good to say at the end of it, ‘I’ve done all I said I would do.’"

It surely didn’t feel like AC/DC’s swan song. It wasn’t a night of sorrow or sadness, but instead a night of thrill with masters of the genre. AC/DC gave Greensboro a night to remember and fans were left speechless and in amazement after what they saw – and heard.

“That was amazing! Maybe we’ll be able to hear by Monday!”

Axl; Columbus, OH
September 4, 2016
Axl and Angus; Columbus, OH
September 4, 2016
Credit: "Stiff Competition"

During the tour, Beta Lebeis would react to people being critical of Axl signing for AC/DC:

Do them a favor, don't come or watch any shows. They don't need assholes like you around. You are an illness to both bands.
Instagram/Blabbermouth, September 5, 2016

I'm sure all of you wish Brian would be there, but Brian is sick and for God's sake, just appreciate what's up there and stop being so selfish. Grow up and stop complaining. This is also about Angus and his mates, have some respect for them. Brian chose to leave due to health issues and Axl is helping his idol. I guess haters will always be haters and have nothing better to do than shit on other people.
Instagram/Blabbermouth, September 5, 2016

Duff, who, together with Slash, had attended one of the AC/DC shows with Axl on the European tour earlier in the year, would also be at the show in Cleveland on September 6:

I was fortunate enough to see another @acdc show. Tonite in Cleveland was world champion worthy! Go @axlrose ...GO!
Twitter, September 7, 2016

I went to one of those shows, and it was phenomenal. One of the first things he said was [that] he had a way of doing it where it wasn't taxing on his voice. I was in awe of the whole thing. He definitely had a way of doing it that it wasn't killing him every night. It's hard to come back from that if you're not doing it right, and as soon as he came back from the AC/DC tour, he went straight into Guns N' Roses and it was seamless.

The Axl-doing-AC/DC thing, I went and checked that out, and it was awesome. I was probably as skeptical as anybody because of the iconic status of the band, and he pulled it off and it was great.

And Richard would attend the show in Detroit on September 9:

It was incredible. I was absolutely blown away. I would fly up to Detroit to see it. Absolutely devastatingly good. Yeah, he really killed it.

Excerpts of review in The Cleveland Plain Dealer, September 7:

Angus Young and Axl Rose-fronted AC/DC deliver a spectacular marathon show

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Mark Twain, had he survived, would be an AC/DC fan. Or at least the author of what should be the band's new motto: The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

For nearly 21/2 hours Tuesday night at Quicken Loans Arena, Angus Young and his surviving bandmates - superbly aided by fill-in frontman Axl Rose - gave testimony to the fact that MTV's Butt-head needn't toss his favorite band's T-shirt.

That's a hope, anyway. When this Rock Or Bust tour ends, bassist Cliff Williams will retire. With a severe hearing ailment sidelining singer Brian Johnson, Young's brother (and band co-founder) Malcolm fighting a losing war with dementia and ex-drummer Phil Rudd a persona non grata over drug charges, Angus will be the only original member of the band.

That won't be the first time it's happened in rock 'n' roll, and when it does, it's usually a sign to let it go.

Not. This. Time.

[...]

Going into it, every one of the 18,000 or so who packed The Q knew the biggest question was gong to be Rose.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Famer - inducted in 2012 with his Guns N' Roses bandmates even if he himself boycotted the ceremony - more than rose to the occasion. His trademark soaring vocals weren't Johnson, and they weren't they original AC/DC singer, the late Bon Scott. And that's OK, because it was like a natural progression for the band, segueing from Scott to Johnson and now Rose.

Here's the thing: It didn't sound like GNR covering AC/DC. Rose meshed perfectly with Young & Co. on just about every song, including "Shoot to Thrill,'' "High Voltage,'' "Live Wire," "Sin City'' and, of course, "Highway to Hell.''

Even better - and maybe a bigger surprise - was Rose's willingness to make it clear that this is Angus Young's band, not his. Rose didn't just share the spotlight; he turned the high beam on Young.

A frontman by the very nature of the job is the focal point of any concert, and Rose is hardly the shrinking-violet type. But his performance Tuesday night - his deference to Young AND to the AC/DC singers who came before him - raised him to new levels in the eyes of many who were at The Q.

Axl Rose, you rocked, and we salute you.[...]

Axl and audience; Buffalo, NY
September 11, 2016
Axl and Angus; Buffalo, NY
September 11, 2016

Axl and Angus; Madison Square Garden
September 14, 2016
September 14, 2016
September 14, 2016

The last show of the North American tour took place on September 20 in Philadelphia.

Axl; Philadelphia
September 20, 2016
Axl and Angus; Philadelphia
September 20, 2016

Beta would look back at the tour:

Oh, it was great! [...] they're great, uh... ah, a lovely band, a lovely person... Angus is such a wonderful person! [...] It was great! For Axl it was very good, as Bon was a very big fan [she probably meant idol] of him [...].

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:59 pm

SEPTEMBER 7, 2016
IZZY: "THEY DIDN'T WANT TO SPLIT THE LOOT EQUALLY"

On September 4, a TV interview with Duff and Axl was broadcasted where Axl would talk about Izzy's fickle nature as some explanation as to why he wasn't part of the reunion:

And with Izzy, that's just something that… I can't really describe to say… I don't really know what to say about Izzy. It's, like, you could have a conversation and think it's one way and the next day it's another way. And I'm not trying to take any shots at Izzy. It's just his thing is kind of his thing, whatever that is.

A couple of days later Izzy responded to this on twitter, claiming this was bullshit and that the real reason was that they wouldn't split the "loot equally":

Bullshit. They didn't want to split the loot equally. Simple as that. Moving right along...
Twitter, September 7, 2016

On September 28 [LA Weekly, October 22, 2016], Izzy deleted the tweet (together with many others).

A while later Rick Richards, Izzy's friend and former bandmate in Juju Hounds would comment on Izzy's tweet:

Since he didn’t do the GNR project, he just wanted to let his fans know he was still around and playing music.

Steven would claim the real reason Izzy didn't take part in the new lineup was that he wouldn't do it unless it was a reunion of the entire AFD lineup (which could just be Steven confusing Izzy with himself):

Because he wants to do it like me — the right way or not at all. [...] Like I said, [Izzy] wants to do it the right way, with the five of us [...]

Marc Canter, on the other hand, had already back in 2012 suggested Izzy would not be part of a future reunion because he is unreliable:

Izzy is kind of flakey. He’s kind of paranoid and flakey. He continues to make his music and put it out on iTunes and he may show up and play an occasional gig but you can’t really depend on him because he might say he’s gonna be there and then not show up.

I mean, honestly I don’t think Axl trusts Izzy or Steven to have their shit together or be on time but I think he knows that Slash and Duff are a solid commodity. I know Steven is too because I’ve seen his band and I know what he’s capable of. Don’t get me wrong, I’m just like everyone else, I’d love to see the five of them together some day. I’d love to see a perfect scenario of a massive tour of Axl’s new band doing their full set to blow the doors off the beginning of the show. Do a really nice hour plus set. Take a break and include a combination where they do a stripped down set every night with Steven, Duff, Slash and Izzy and then finish with an Illusions set including Gilby and Matt and that material to close things out with a bang.

In 2017, Arlett Vereecke, the band's previous publicist and close friend to Slash, would be asked if Izzy was healthy and happy:

Yeah, very, very, yes. [...] I talked to Slash who told me. [...] He's fine, yeah, yeah, yeah.

In 2018, Alan Niven would speculate that Izzy was angry about not being involved and that the band's chance had come and gone:

My hypothetical speculation is that that moment came and went and they should have involved [Izzy] in the last tour and I would think that Izzy is pretty angry that he wasn't treated with equality and wasn't a part of this tour.

Not much later, Wall Street Journal would manage to get a comment from Izzy, where he restated that they had not been able to reach a compromise in the negotiations:

The current GNR tour has been a great success for the guys. My nonparticipation was simply not being able to reach a happy middle ground through the negotiation process. That’s life, sometimes things don’t work out.

Slash would later comment on Izzy's statements:

Uh, I’m not gonna go anywhere near that. I thought what he had to say about it, from what I saw – I didn’t read the whole thing – but the basic come away, I thought, was well handled.

When reached for a comment, Fernando Lebeis would not comment:

Izzy is a dear friend.

The same year, Goldstein would comment on Izzy not being included:

Izzy’s a principle guy, and they wanted to undercut him, and I don’t know why. If you want the original members back together, then pay everybody equally. Let Steven sit down on the kit for the last song, do Paradise City, let the guy go off. He doesn’t even want to get paid.

Fernando Lebeis would also comment on a fan saying many fans would like a reunion of the Appetite lineup, suggesting that it was up to the band:

I would like a lot of things, however I know what it's within my responsibility, in order to achieve such want.
It's not fair or just to say the things said (here and there) because the band doesn't consist of members you feel better suited, I think that's up to the guys in the band, no?

A few weeks later, Niven would suggest that the negotiations had taken place when Izzy came to rehearse with the band in July of 2016 in Nashville [see earlier chapter about this rumor], and again suggest that Izzy had not been offered a fair share:

But, you know, yeah, he did turn up and do a sound check and he did leave after the soundcheck and obviously something upset him. What, I'm not a party to the negotiations, I'm not in the room, I'm not even really a fly-on-the-wall, but you can draw your intelligent conclusions, you know. Obviously something was wrong with the negotiations. And I think when you have a situation where one member of the band is taking 50% of the income it doesn't take a fucking rocket scientist to figure out why the negotiations didn't work out as regards the fiscality of it.

Almost contrary to this, Niven would also offer up an explanation for Izzy not being part of the tour when he talked about hos Izzy doesn't like touring:

[...] and the fact that [Izzy] doesn't go out there and tour with the band tells you something about Izzy's comfort zones of what he feels like doing. Yeah, he's a musician, he likes to write, he likes to play with people every now and then. Does he want to go through the mechanism of recording or of touring, apparently not. Because he doesn't.

Duff would be asked about the rumors that Izzy wasn't part of the lineup because of money and suggest he wasn't aware of these rumors and imply that there had been an "inclusive vibe" and that "things were tried":

I'm not sure what exactly what you're talking about. The thing is I don't really go on social media or on the computer and look at stuff. And when I'm busy doing my thing, nose to the grindstone, that's what I'm doing. So we were rehearsing and doing stuff. I know there was probably a lot of rumors flying around. My wife would tell me stuff. I'm like, "Oh, that's... no, that's absolutely not anything close to what's happening." You know, I don't really want to talk about the machinations of how that came together. I'd rather it remain one of the last great mysteries, as you say. It was a lot of hard work. A lot of, just a lot of hard work. And there was a real positive vibe about the whole thing and an inclusive vibe. And what can I even say about that? You know, things were tried and things were ascended to or not ascended to and you just gotta let it go. That's it and keep your nose on the grindstone and that was it. But it was all very positive. Everything's put out there very positive and that's that.

A few days later he would emphasize that there was no beef and that the current band is the "right mixture of people":

And, you know, Izzy, I stay in touch with when I can. And there's never been a beef or any sort of thing. This makeup of this band is what it's supposed to be now and it's really good. It feels good and it's the right mixture of people.

In early January 2019, Slash would again be asked to explain Izzy's exclusion:

It was something that just didn’t work out. We were keen on trying to get it to happen but it just didn’t work itself out.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:01 am; edited 15 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:00 pm

SEPTEMBER-NOVEMBER 2016
CHRIS SUES AND SETTLES WITH AXL FOR UNPAID SALARY

On September 13, Chris filed a lawsuit against Axl, claiming he was owed $125,000 in unpaid salaries for 2011 [TMZ, September 13, 2016; Courthouse News, September 16, 2016]. According to the lawsuit, Chris was a "loyal and dedicated engineer and musician for Axl Rose" for nearly 18 years [Courthouse News, September 16, 2016]. During that time, he says, he was "toiling at all hours" for more than a year without pay [Courthouse News, September 16, 2016]. According to the suit, Axl had promised to pay later and gave Chris a promissory note for $125,000 [TMZ, September 13, 2016; Courthouse News, September 16, 2016], a sum that was to be paid no later than October 2012 [TMZ, September 13, 2016]. With interest, Chris was now seeking more than $163,000 [Loudwire, September 13, 2016].

In November it was reported that Axl and Chris had reached a settlement and that the lawsuit had been dismissed [TMZ, September 27, 2016]. Although terms were confidential, TMZ would state that Axl had paid Chris a sum lower than the $163,000 demanded in the lawsuit [TMZ, September 27, 2016].
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:00 pm

OCTOBER 27-NOVEMBER 1, 2016
THE LATIN AMERICAN LEG OF THE 2016 NITL TOUR STARTS

The start of the Latin American leg of the 2016 Not In This Lifetime tour took place at the Estadio Monumental in Lima, Peru, on October 27.

Audience; Lima
October 27, 2016
Axl and Slash; Lima
October 27, 2016

I remember in Peru, the tickets were expensive, people saved up to watch us. That was also a touching thing how much these people who really have nothing saved all their money to come to the show. My tech, the dude that helps me set up everything, said, check that out, Blue, they call me that. There’s this huge sea of people and you can see this mountain, they look like stars, thousands of lights, and he said, those are the people who can’t afford. But you can see their cellphone lights, and they’re trying to hear the music from the mountain, and it was so touching. God!

The next show took place at the Estadio Nacional in Santiago, Chile, on October 29.

Melissa and Duff; Santiago
October 29, 2016
Axl; Santiago
October 29, 2016

The band then travelled to [b]Argentina for three shows, the first taking place at Estadio Gigante de Arroyito in Rosario on November 1.

Richard; Rosario
November 1, 2016
Axl; Rosario
November 1, 2016

Last edited by Soulmonster on Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:01 pm

NOVEMBER 4 AND 5, 2016
TWO SHOWS AT RIVER PLATE WITH STEVEN

The next two shows of the NITL tour took place at Estadio Gigante de Arroyito in Rosario on November 4 and 5. For these shows Steven was back as a guest, playing on Out Ta Get Me (November 4) and My Michelle (November 5).

Steven; River Plate
November 4, 2016
Richard; River Plate
November 5, 2016
Steven; River Plate
November 5, 2016

Last edited by Soulmonster on Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:01 pm

2016-TODAY
STEVEN DID NOT GET CLOSURE; THOUGHTS ON MORE SHOWS WITH GN'R AND AXL

LOOKING BACK AT HAVING PLAYED WITH THE BAND

I had a great time last year doing the couple shows that I got to do with them, but it was everything that I thought it was going to be. It was the complete opposite. If it was going be just the five original guys with Dizzy and Axl, Slash, and Duff and myself, then yes I will, but otherwise, it's not the magic and it's not fair to the fans. Me and Dizzy actually really do wanna be a part of it.

Last year was just so fabulous, because I wanted this… Everybody knows that I’ve been praying for this for twenty-five years for us to have a reunion. It was something that was so magical, and I’m so proud of what we did, and I’m so proud of the guys. It was just too hard last year, ’cause they’d have me come down and do just one or two songs, and it’s, like, I’m standing on the side of the stage and I’m watching Frank [Ferrer], who’s a wonderful guy and a great drummer, play my songs when I’m standing right there. I’m going, ‘Dude, why don’t you fucking let me play? I’m right here! Let me play the songs.’ And it was just too hard to do that. And then the South American thing, flying fifteen thousand miles for just one song each night. It was just too much. But the great part about that trip was after the second show, I put on a private show at a club called Roxy in Argentina, and we played from two to five in the morning. We had all these guitar players and different great musicians come up. We played all of ‘Appetite [For Destruction]’, we did ‘You Could Be Mine’, ‘Don’t Cry’… a couple of the songs that I [was] a part of writing but didn’t get to play on it.

I only talked to Axl for literally ten seconds. The first night I played with them in Cincinnati, I got a fistbump and a little smile, and that was good enough for me. And then at Dodger Stadium [in Los Angeles], I got to give him a little hug and shake his hand and say I love him and he fucking rules and ‘thank you so much for giving me this opportunity. I had the greatest time.’ And he walked on his way. And I went on with my life. And I’ve been enjoying it ever since. He’s Axl. He does his show and he gets so passionate and such emotion that he really just needs to relax and come down for at least an hour, ’cause he is a monster on stage. And he puts out so much feeling that he becomes those songs. And he’s been fabulous at it. And Slash and Duff are so much fun. When we’re together at soundheck, the crew was all, ‘Jesus Christ! You’ve gotta come down more, ’cause the only time these guys ever smile or have fun is when you’re here.’ And I was saying, ‘I would love to.’ But it is what it is.

It was so amazing to be able to play for so many people who love our music. I wish I played some more, but at least something is better than nothing. And I love those guys, and I'm so proud of what we accomplished. 31 years later, people still love our music.

Talking about Melissa, Dizzy and Richard:

Oh, dude. The reason they fit perfect in that band is ’cause they’re like fucking ghosts. ‘Cause Axl doesn’t wanna see nobody. I would walk into the studio, I’d say hi to them, and then I’d turn around, and they’d be gone. And then when I was done playing, all of a sudden, [they’d be there] again. And I’m, like, ‘Where did you go?’ Very nice people — very quiet, just the way Axl likes it: nice and quiet.

When asked why he only did one song per show in Argentina:

I got there. And I got my wife [who is Argentinian], all her family, her parents, her sisters, her sisters' babies, their mothers, their aunts… I got, like, nine of 'em, and I was up there and I was ready to go up. And Axl says, 'What the fuck is he doing here? He's not supposed to be here 'till tomorrow?' So I was, all, 'Excuse me? I just flew fifteen thousand miles.' So they played a few more songs, and I came up, he introduced me, I played one song and they turned the lights out on me. I went back behind the drum riser. And I was all, 'What the fuck?' And everybody in the crew came around and started hugging me and going, 'Dude, we love you, Steve. It's okay.' I mean, the whole crew — there was, like, twenty people who came up to me and talked to me. And then the next night, I did one more song again. Other parts I don't even wanna talk about. All I know is the best of it is was me and my wife got to be together with her family for the first time in fifteen years. I have seen her family, and she's seen her family, but we'd never seen them together. So that was great… I obviously misunderstood to go to Australia and Japan and, I think, Thailand. And then, I was all, 'Yeah, I would love to do that.' But then I found out that it was either one. It was either, 'You can either come to Australia or you can go to Japan or you can go to Thailand.' And I said, 'I can't do that.' But, like I said, I got some closure, and I'm thankful I got to do what I did.

Dude, I was in Argentina. Why would they let me play [only] one song? I have no idea. And out of respect for Fernando [Lebeis, who is part of Guns N’ Roses’ management team], I have nothing negative to say, ’cause I was just so glad to be able to do it.

I’d start playing another fucking song, and they’d tell me to get off. They’d say, ‘Okay, you’re done.’ And I’d start playing another song, and they’d just turned the sound of. ‘Beat it. You’re done.’ I was, like, ‘Okay. Cool.’ I got to do that. It’s better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all, and I got to rock with those guys. And I love Slash and Duff and Axl, and I got to meet some great people that are working with them. [...] And there never will be an explanation [for why I can’t play more songs with them]. It is what it is, and that’s that.

Describing the events as "closure":

I have closure to where if they wanna do it the right way, the five of us… And, like I said, I'll share the stage with Frank — I don't care. As long as I'm there doing my songs, I don't care. But if they'd wanna do it the five of us, I am there! I love those guys. I'm proud of what the five of us… and since the five of us are still alive, I think the five of us should play for our fucking fans, give 'em what they want. I mean, I live a beautiful, comfortable life because people still love our music, and that's every musician's dream — to make music that people love. Not just for a week or a month or a year — this is thirty fucking years, and people still… Every time I get in the car and one of our songs [comes on], I go, 'Okay, there's my twenty-five cents. Yeah!' [Laughs]

And even though it wasn’t what it could be and should be, I got closure. And I feel so much better — like there’s a billion-ton weight lifted off of me, where I can move forward again. I can play with other people, I can do other things, and it’s the greatest thing. I’ve been practicing the four agreements [essential steps on the path to personal freedom] for the last three years, and it’s changed my life. I’m a totally happier person. I’m the person when I was young, a teenager, and excited, and had dreams and goals and wanted to do things. And I like it. Before, all I wanted to do was do a fucking reunion. And I got to do what I got to do, and I’m thankful for that.

If we did it the right way, yes. I can’t watch somebody… I will share the stage with Frank any day. I’ll do the ‘Appetite’ stuff, which is the great stuff anyways and the fun stuff anyways, and I’ll do the ‘Lies’ stuff, I’ll do a couple of ‘Illusions’ [songs], and let Frank, in the middle of the set, play the ‘Chinese Democracy’ stuff, some of the ‘Illusions’ stuff. If we split it, I wouldn’t mind sharing the stage with him at all. I mean, if that’s what it came down to, I’m cool with that. He’s a great guy. [But] I can’t [just play one or two songs per show anymore]. It’s just too hard. It’s too hard. I wanna play more, and I want Izzy to be there. It was the five of us that made magic, and I know we can make that magic again, ’cause it’s just who we are. Even though we’re twenty-five years older, I know if we got in a room together and started playing, it would be fucking magic.

I’m thankful I got to do what I got to do. It was the best time of my life. I got to end my career in a successful band, which is a hard thing to do these days. My generation is now classic rock, so I’m stoked to be related to bands like Queen or Rush or Aerosmith. That’s what every musician dreams of. Like on the way here, me and my mom got in the car, and the first thing we heard [on the radio] was “Sweet Child O’ Mine” and it’s so cool to be able to hear yourself 30 years later. I got to live that dream.

STILL LONGING FOR A REUNION OF THE APPETITE LINEUP

Yet despite this, Steven hadn't stopped dreaming of a reunion of the Appetite for Destruction lineup:

Dude, if the five of us got back together, it would be the biggest reunion tour ever in rock — unless John Bonham came back to life or Jimi Hendrix or Jim Morrison and now [The Doors] keyboard player. If the five of us are alive, it would be the biggest thing ever; I mean, people would be so happy. It would be like an event… That's what it should be, that's what it could be, but that's not what it is. I asked Slash if he would talk to Axl about that, like, in July it'll be thirty years that 'Appetite' came out. So I was thinking why don't we just do four or five shows and play all of 'Appetite' from beginning to end, throw [in], like, 'Civil War', and maybe something off of… like 'Patience'… and record it, videotape it. And that's it, if that's all you wanna do. And if Axl's happy after that, then we could do more. But I thought that would be really cool. But that's my idea. If it was up to me, it would be a different story. But it is what it is.

Or playing more with the band:

That was so great. It was really, really amazing and a dream come true. 'Cause for twenty-five years, all I've been doing was praying that I would be able to do it. I just wish I could play more songs, 'cause I wanna do more with them. It's really hard… it's heartbreaking and hard on me to be standing on the side of the stage and watching somebody else [current Guns N' Roses drummer Frank Ferrer] play my songs. Which, he is great, but it's hard for me. It's, like, I'd like to play a few more songs. But I'm thankful I got to do anything at all, so my dream came true. But I do wanna do more. I hope… We'll see what they say.

That was so amazing. It was literally a second dream come true. I wish I could’ve done more songs, but I’m thankful I got to do what I got to do. And if they ever give me a call and want me to come back, I’d love to play with them. I love those guys.

I would love to. I love those guys and it was great [playing with them last year]. And if they ever let me do it again, I would definitely jump at it. I would do it just to get a hug from them. I'm so proud of being a part of that. And I might not be with them right now, but I'm just so proud that I was a part of the Guns N' Roses [fold].

Arlett Vereecke would be asked if she thought Steven would ever be a full time drummer again:

He can't. Physically, he can't. They started with him for the reunion and they tried him out and then he had a back problem. He did something to his back and he can't do it physically. That's why he's not there. Not because they want to be mean to him or whatever. He just physically can't do it.

In early 2018, Steven would lament that he wasn't working with Slash all the time:

I thought me and Slash were going to be like Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson. They've known each other since they were in junior high school; they grew up together playing music; they got successful; and they stayed together for, like, 50 years. I thought that's how Slash and I were going to be, but it didn't work out that way. Friends come and friends go, even ones that you think and really feel in your heart you're going to have forever. I have no resentments. That's the only reason that I'm able to stay sober and not drinking. This whole GN'R thing, trust me — in 2016 and 2017, them not using me and Izzy, that would have been the perfect excuse for me to go off and start drinking and drugging. I did that the last time — last time they threw me under the bus, I did do that, because my heart was broken. Now I'm stronger; I practice the four agreements; and I was able to get through this. And now, I'm going to start playing again.

And look back at the shows he did:

It was very exciting. Of course, I wish the guys would have wanted to have done the real reunion with me and Izzy, but just being able to play with them was very exciting. It was just so great. You get love from 100 people, it's a wonderful feeling. You get love from 85,000 people, it's a high. There's no drug better. It was so great to be able to look down and see Slash and Duff and Axl. I'm a fan, and all the fans wanted to see the original five of us, but it didn't work out that way. I'm sorry, fans — I did my best. I swear on God I did. I have no say. Everybody, get on the web site and put some prayers into God. Let's make this happen this new year.

In May 2018, he would urge his fans to ask Fernando Lebeis to make the Appetite reunion happen:

I’d like to say hello to Fernando. Hi Fernando, how are you? That’s Axl’s manager. I got to be impeccable with my word – that means without sin. I love you, Fernando. I know you’re gonna do the right thing. That’s the one guy who can make this happen. That – oh, and everybody go on Fernando, Axl’s manager website and just bug the crap out of him until he finally gets it.

APRIL 2018: STEVEN'S BROTHER ATTACKS "GREEDY & INHUMANE" GUNS N' ROSES; STEVEN HAS RESENTMENTS

On April 2, 2018, Steven's brother Jamie, would take to Facebook to call out the band for not letting Steven play more with them:

This man right here is what you call a true survivor. He went all the way to the depths of hell and was able to make it back alive. When most died he lived. What an amazing story of redemption my brother has to tell. Salute to the greatest big brother/ grooviest drummer I’ve ever known. This man has a heart of gold. The biggest heart of anyone in his caliber. The most humble, loving, gracious person I’ve and anyone else who’s ever met him has known. If only Slash, Axl, and Duff had 10% of the heart this man had then maybe he would be on tour with GNR.

If those guys had an ounce of decency, compassion, love, care, and acceptance maybe they would have allowed my brother to play more then one song in Argentina after they flew him all the way out there and TEASED him to only play one song. ONE SONG ONLY!! The only thing the fans wanna see is Adler back behind the kit especially since the world knows Adler is no longer on drugs or alcohol. It took him longer to drive down the hill from his house to the bottom then he was allowed to perform on stage in Argentina. What kind of inhumane people would ever be that cruel to someone?? Greedy, selfish people only.

With out Steven Adler there would never have been GNR or the greatest rock album of all time. Adler did teach Slash his first guitar chord and gave him his first guitar. For all we know if Slash never met Adler he may have never even found the guitar. People forget to often where they come from. Let’s remind Slash right now how he picked up even being the greatest guitar player of our generation. Steven Adler handing you your first guitar. Facts!! Adler’s groove made that album what it is today. That’s why No other drummer since Adler has been able to duplicate that sound in GNR. It’s a gift from God not any drum lesson can teach you what he was born with.

They have no heart so that’s why he has to go out and do his own thing. He loves his fans so much and he wants to play for each and everyone of you. Do you actually think Steven Adler got sober and Changed his entire life style to sit around the house and do nothing? NOPE!! He did it, so he can finish what he started. My brother is stronger then ever and will show the world once again this May when he begins his world wide tour with his own band. You would think the guys in GNR would be overly proud that their once fallen brother has returned to health and happiness and would want to share their new found success with him this time around.

Well, my brother is alive and well so it’s never too late. I write this because I see a lot of fans making comments on why is Adler doing his own thing and not with GNR. Please ask GNR that Adler would love to be back on stage with GNR. That’s his dream. He’s never been healthier and more alive as you see in all his pics. For those who struggle with addiction and Life issues my brother is an example and inspiration that you can turn your life around and Live a life beyond your wildest imagination. If he can clean up then it proves anyone can. I send all my love and respect to all who read this and love it or those who may disagree with what I said. I felt it was necessary to get this off my chest. GNR is and always will be the greatest 5 piece Rock n Roll band of my generation. I’m just grateful I was a little part of it. My brother is alive and well today and I want the whole world to know this.

Later in the month Steven would again complain about not playing more with the band and again go on about the band not having completed what they started, and take a dig at Richard and Frank:

You know, if they want me, they know my number–I’m ready to rock. My goal was to finish what I started, and Izzy’s too [former guitarist Izzy Stradlin]. Iz is just as heartbroken as I am that the three of them decided to leave us out and bring three strangers in–who are those people? It’s just not cool.

RELATIONSHIP WITH AXL

After having come and played with the band a few times during the Not In This Lifetime tour starting in 2016, Steven would continue talking about the band and Axl:

I don’t know Axl. I have not known Axl for 26 years. All I can say about Axl is I love him dearly. I wish I was a part of his life.

Axl is really talented and very smart, and I love him. I wish I could give him a hug and a kiss, but I can't see him.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:21 am; edited 10 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:02 pm

NOVEMBER 8-26, 2016
SHOWS IN BRAZIL, COLOMBIA AND COSTA RICA

The tour continued with six shows in Brazil: At the Estádio Beira Rio in Porto Alegre (November 8), at the Allianz Parque in São Paulo (November 11 and 12), at Engenhão in Rio de Janeiro (November 15), at the Pedreira Paulo Leminski in Curitiba (November 17), and Estádio Mané Garrincha in Brasília (November 20).

Axl; Porto Alegre
November 8, 2016
Richard; Porto Alegre
November 11, 2016
Slash and Duff; Rio de Janeiro
November 15, 2016
Duff; Brasília
November 20, 2016

At the show in Curitiba on November 17, Richard had his 50th birthday:

Axl had everybody sing Happy Birthday to me. So that was nice, you know, 40,000 of my closest Brazilian friends.

The next two shows took place at Estadio Atanasio Girardot in Medellín, Colombia (November 23) and Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica in San José, Costa Rica (November 26).

Duff & Richard; Medellín
November 23, 2016
Duff & Axl; San José
November 26, 2016
Thanksgiving dinner in San José
November 24, 2016

While in Colombia, Axl would comment on the recent FARC peace agreement:

Congratulations to Colombia on the new Colombia n' FARC Peace Deal!!🇨🇴☮✌🏽
Twitter, November 25, 2016
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:02 pm

MELISSA'S SIDE PROJECTS

Melissa would continue her work composing for TV, film and video games while being in Guns N' Roses [LA Weekly, May 3, 2017].

I’ve just completed work on the end title theme for a film called (Re) Assignment, starring Sigourney Weaver and Michelle Rodriguez, which I’m really excited about. Brain and I are also just finishing a film for Universal called Death Race 4.

When I get offstage, the first thing I do is go back to the hotel and set up my rig.

SCORING THE MUSIC TO THE MOVIE BODIED

Talking about the movie Bodied to which she and Brain composed the score:

A movie just came out which I co-scored with (Bryan) “Brain” (Mantia) called Bodied. It’s produced by Eminem and directed by the amazing risk-taking rebel, Joseph Kahn. It’s about the battle rap scene in Oakland and this white kid/grad student learning about the culture of battle rap, finding himself immersed in the scene, then stirring shit up when he ends up actually being rad at it himself. It was a self-funded passion project by Joseph, but Eminem came by it and was moved, so he got involved. I missed the premiere cause I was on a flight to our first show of the tour. I was so bummed the dates just happened to fall on the same day. But, I know there are many more to come so there was a silver lining. We are so proud of that score. I’m still writing and producing and there’s a lot of stuff to look forward to next year, including film, video games, performance–a lot of good stuff.

I’m still writing and producing and there’s a lot of stuff to look forward to next year, including film, video games, performance stuff and a lot of good stuff.

Bodied/br>September 17, 2017

For more about Brain and Melissa collaborating on this project, see earlier chapter.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:03 pm

NOVEMBER 29 AND 30, 2016
THE TOUR ENDS WITH TWO SHOWS IN MEXICO CITY

The last two shows of the American tour of 2016 took place at the Palacio de los Deportes in Mexico City on November 29 and November 30.

Little girls waited in hotel lobbies to tell me that they played piano because of me, which warmed my heart.

Slash; Mexico City
November 29, 2016
Frank and Duff; Mexico City
November 30, 2016
Dizzy; Mexico City
November 30, 2016

Thanks Peru, Chile. Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica & Mexico for a tremendous run! You guys are all fn brilliant! Cheers! iiii]; )'
Twitter, December 2, 2016
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

MATT AND GILBY TALK ABOUT NOT BEING PART OF THE REUNION LINEUP

As discussed previously, Matt was not asked to join the reunion lineup [see earlier chapter]. Gradually Matt would indicate some bitterness towards not being part of the reunion lineup. In early January 2017, he would state it had been "weird" when Duff went on tour with Frank but that this hadn't been Duff's decision:

You know, I've got Robert DeLeo playing bass now [for Kings Of Chaos], and we did the Hollywood Vampires together, and man, that guy is a musician. And it's a great thing to get out of my comfort zone, because Duff McKagan was my bass player for 25 years. We did multiple bands together — Neurotic Outsiders and Velvet Revolver and Kings Of Chaos. So it was good for me, because when you are a bass-player-[drummer] rhythm section, you create a bond and you kind of go through life with that guy, and I've always been his drummer and he's been my bass player. So when they went out there to do it [without me], I was, like, 'Oh, okay. Well, that's weird.'

But it wasn't his decision, obviously. So I'm doing my thing, and I'm moving forward, and I get to run my own band [Kings Of Chaos], which is great [...].

In 2018, he would focus more on the time he had spent with the band:

People ask me, 'How do you feel about not being involved in the reunion?' I say, 'I've got to tell you — I was there at the height of everything. And I did it.' Sure, I could go out there and play that music, no problem, but I'm very, very grateful that I was there when it was the greatest it was. That was the biggest tour GN'R ever did. We were at the hugest level at that point, did two and a half years on the road. It was great.

And he would reiterate how happy he was for Slash and Duff:

Well, I'm glad it finally happened. They're doing the catalog and they're out there playing. That's cool, and everyone's doing their own thing of the other guys. For me, I'm over here doing this and doing my own music and keeping my thing going. It's great for them and I'm happy for them.

Arlett Vereecke, GN'R's former publicist and also publicist with Velvet Revolver, would suggest that Matt's behavior in Velvet Revolver was the reason why he wasn't part of the GN'R reunion:

There was a lot of problems with a certain drummer [in Velvet Revolver]. [laughs] It was not going very well. I mean, it came to the point, I hate to say it, but when we did a video for one of the videos I got phone calls from the drummer. And he said, "I have a huge problem with this video." I said, "What is it?" He said, "There's so many shots of Slash and only so many of mine. I'm an equal member of this band, I want equal attention." I said, "Well, I don't shoot the videos, number one. Number two, you're not going to get it." And he said, "Well, I will have it no matter what." And it was like trouble after trouble after trouble. And you know what the end result is? He was not back with Guns N' Roses.

Slash would later state that he had never talked to Matt about it:

I never really talked to Matt about [being involved in the reunion]. I’ve seen him, but we haven’t talked about it.

One guy who was asked to be part of the new lineup, at least as a guest on presumably one or a few shows, were Gilby:

I was asked to come play as a guest, but it didn’t work out.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:18 pm; edited 4 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

JANUARY 9-29, 2017
REHEARSALS AND START OF THE ASIAN TOUR OF 2017 WITH FIVE SHOWS IN JAPAN

REHEARSALS AND PREPARATIONS

2017 started with an extensive tour of Asia. Before the tour, the band would rehearse for a week in Los Angeles:

I leave on the 9th, we'll do a week of reversals and then we go to Japan. Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Thailand. I've never played Thailand. I've been there a bunch of times because it's one of my favorite places. It is my favorite place in the world. [...] Yeah, [Thai food is] the best. And then, yeah, Dubai.

Before the tour started, Dizzy and Melissa would talk about preparations for shows and how the touring had been so far:

Well, my preparation for the gig has changed a little bit over the years. It used to be, you know, down several Budweisers just to get rid of the butterflies. But now, you know what, I just warm up a little bit and just look forward to getting out there. Really just like to have a few laughs. You know, maybe a sip of Jäger or something, but then we're ready to rock, the best band out there that we could given what we've had and given the times and whatnot. And I think without a doubt we've been able to do that.

[...] you know, playing like as a group for the first time, it's just super, super dope for me. Fast forward till now it's just been nothing but insanely dope, like, positive experience and everybody's super, super rad and the shows are lit. Yeah, that's basically it. It's like a fucking dream job. It's awesome.

THE JAPANESE SHOWS

The tour started with five show in Japan, at Kyocera Dome in Osaka on January 21, Kobe World Kinen Hall in Kobe on January 22, at Yokohama Arena in Yokohama on January 25, and two shows at Saitama Super Arena in Tokyo on January 28 and 29.

Janunary 21
Arian Buhler
January 22
Arian Buhler
January 25
Arian Buhler
January 28 & 29
Arian Buhler

Axl; Osaka
January 21, 2017
Frank; Osaka
January 21, 2017
Melissa; Osaka
January 21, 2017
Duff; Kobe
January 22, 2017
The band; Kobe
January 22, 2017
Slash; Yokohama
January 25, 2017
Dizzy; Yokohama
January 25, 2017

Axl; Tokyo
January 29, 2017

After the shows, Richard would talk about playing in Japan and contrast it to playing in South America:

Japan has a very unique audience and their response generally is very, very polite and well-mannered, they're very proper and they sit and are very attentive and very focused, they listen to the band and then when the band is thinking it's done with a song then they'll clap, there's no clapping or singing along or anything like that during the song, they're silent and they're focused and sitting down, and then afterwards they'll, you know, they'll clap but it's very different than with something like, just opposed to, South America where it's just bedlam.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:04 pm

GUNS N' ROSES AND DONALD TRUMP

There is an earlier chapter on the band and politics, but because of the extensive comments on the election of Donald Trump as the new president of USA in 2016 and during his presidency, a separate chapter is warranted.

NOVEMBER 2016: REACTIONS TO THE ELECTION RESULT

Holy sh*t
Twitter, November 9, 2016

Axl had previously mentioned that he usually leans towards voting for the Democrats:

I'm in California and it usually leans Democratic and that's usually where I'm leaning anyway.. [...] It's not like "let them do it", going for the presidential stuff it's usually such a landslide anyway... [...] I would lean Democratic, I would lean Obama...

Despite this suggesting Axl was not entirely opposed to, at least some, Republican politics, Axl would be vehemently opposed to President Trump. While playing a show in Mexico City on November 30, the band would invite concert-goers on stage to beat the crap out of a large piñata designed to look like Donald Trump.

Let's bring up some people and give them a fucking stick. Express yourselves however you feel. [...] Hit him in the head!
Palacio de los Deportes, November 30, 2016

Mexico City
November 30, 2016

NOVEMBER 2016: REACTIONS TO APPINTING JEFF SESSIONS AS ATTORNEY GENERAL

Good people don't listen to, acknowledge, nominate or elect people like Senator Jeff Sessions
Twitter, November 18, 2016

BLACK LIVES MATTER

In 2017, USA was torn over a societal movement to end structural racism against black people, resulting in Black Lives Matter demonstrations across the country, and spilling over into Europe. In support of this BLM movement, black American football athletes, and supporting white athletes, would take the knee as the national anthem was played before games instead of standing as was customary, thus demonstrating support of the BLM movement and a protest again US' failure to end racism. This too, became a controversial protest in USA, with people split between supporting the stance or condemning it. Needless to say, Donald Trump was against athletes that did not stand during the anthem. In October 2017, Vice President Mike Pence attended a football game between the Indianapolis Colts and San Francisco 49ers, and demonstratively left the game early after the national hymn had been played, stating that players are "entitled to their own opinions," but that he didn't think it was "too much to ask NFL players to respect the Flag and our National Anthem" [Twitter/Blabbermouth, October 9, 2017]. This resulted in the following tweet from Axl where he claimed Pence's attendance and demonstrative early leaving to be an expensive PR stunt from the White House to express disagreement with the protesting players:

Thanks WH 4 the $200k Colts game PR stunt.
Twitter, October 10, 2017

Eric Reid and Colin Kaepernick take the knee
September 12, 2016

VARIOUS COMMENTS

In November 2016, Trump would criticize the musical Hamilton for allegedly having "harrassed" Vice President Trump and demand an apology, to which Axl responded:

"Hamilton cast harassed Pence." Do you ever stop whining? An apology? Seriously?! You won, this is the job, Get on with it or get out of the kitchen.
Twitter, November 19, 2016

Richard would respond to an article in Alternative Nation that discussed Axl's responses to Trump and Duff's response to gun laws [see earlier chapter]:

very proud that these are my band mates!...
Twitter, November 29, 2016

In January 2018, Axl would tweet:

Along with several other condescending adjectives the current WH has no room to call virtually anyone disgraceful.
Twitter, January 4, 2018

The WH is the current US gold standard of what can be considered disgraceful.
Twitter, January 4, 2018

These tweets were prompted by White House press secretary Sarah Sanders stating that criticism aimed at the billionaire real estate mogul's mental state was "disgraceful and laughable" [Twitter/Blabbermouth, January 4, 2018].

In February, Axl would tweet that Ivanka Trump should not have a job in the White House, likely in response to Ivanka saying that she did not believe the women who have accused her father of sexual misconduct, adding that it's "pretty inappropriate" to ask her about the subject [Blabbermouth, February 26, 2018]:

What’s inappropriate is Ivanka Trump being part of the White House Administration.
Twitter, January 4, 2018

In September 2018, Axl would again criticize Trump:

Trump rips into Jeff Sessions: 'I don't have an Attorney General.' And we don't have a President.
Twitter, September 19, 2018

And in October he would criticize Kanye West for visiting Trump and holding a speech that was described in the media as being "rambling" [Blabbermouth, October 11, 2018]:

What a joke. Not gonna solve anything in Chicago or anywhere else with any of that attention seeking nonsense.
Twitter, October 11, 2018

Oh n’ don’t let any of this distract from the Khashoggi killing.
Twitter, October 11, 2018

And urge Americans to vote for the Democrats in the midterm elections:

Vote Blue... Bitches!!
Twitter, October 28, 2018

In November, the band would protest against Trump playing Sweet Child O' Mine at one of his political rallies and also indicate that GN'R's music was opposed to Trump:

Just so ya know... GNR like a lot of artists opposed to the unauthorized use of their music at political events has formally requested r music not b used at Trump rallies or Trump associated events.
Twitter, November 4, 2018

Unfortunately the Trump campaign is using loopholes in the various venues’ blanket performance licenses which were not intended for such craven political purposes, without the songwriters’ consent.

Can u say “shitbags?!”💩

Personally I kinda liked the irony of Trump supporters listening to a bunch of anti Trump music at his rallies but I don’t imagine a lot of ‘em really get that or care.

And when ur phone’s blowin’ up cuz peeps r seein’/hearin’ Sweet Child on the news at a rally... as a band we felt we should clarify r position. Peace!🇺🇸

Duff would tweet in support of Axl's statements [Twitter, November 4, 2018].

The next day, Axl would elaborate:

As far as I’m concerned anyone can enjoy GNR 4 whatever reason n’  there’s truth 2 the saying “u can’t choose your fans” n’ we’re good w/that.
Twitter, November 5, 2018

Having said that my personal position is that the Trump administration along w/the majority of Republicans in Congress n’ their donors that support him 4 their own agendas r doing r nation a disservice.

We have an individual in the WH that will say n’ do anything w/no regard for truth, ethics, morals or empathy of any kind, who says what’s real is fake n’ what’s fake is real.

Who will stop at nothing 4 power feeding off the anger n’ resentment he sows 24/7 while constantly whining how whatever doesn’t go his way is unfair.

Most of us in America have never experienced anything this obscene at this level in r lifetimes n’ if we as a country don’t wake up n’ put an end 2 this nonsense now it’s something we definitely will all pay hard 4 as time goes on.

Both Slash and Axl would then urge people to vote in the coming election [Twitter, November 6, 2018; Instagram, November 6, 2018].

A few days later, Axl, together with Tommy Lee and Sebastian Bach, would condemn Trump for his "insensitive" response to California wildfires [Blabbermouth, November 11, 2018]:

Um...actually...it’s a lack of federal funding that’s at the “root” of the purported forest mismanagement. Only a demented n’ truly pathetic individual would twist that around n’ use a tragedy to once again misrepresent facts for attempted public/political gain at other’s expense
Twitter, November 11, 2018

Last edited by Soulmonster on Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:26 am; edited 10 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:05 pm

FEBRUARY 2-21, 2017
THE ASIAN TOUR CONTINUES WITH SHOWS IN NEW ZEALAND AND AUSTRALIA

After Japan, the band travelled to New Zealand for two shows, the first at the Westpac Stadium in Wellington on February 2 in terrible weather and the second at Western Springs Stadium in Auckland on February 4.

February 2
Arian Buhler
February 4
Arian Buhler

Slash; Wellington
February 2, 2017
Axl; Auckland
February 4, 2017

Review of the Wellington show by Bob Mason in Stuff.nz:

Wellington jolted to life by a hard rock tour de force

Well, the Westpac Stadium (and Wellington) certainly needed that. After the depressing, tumbleweed scenes from the weekend, as the once mighty Sevens party was reduced to a sparse smattering of diehards, Guns N' Roses turned the dial up to eleven and jolted an exuberant crowd with a hard rock tour de force.

Even Mother Nature showed a modicum of respect: the diabolical Wellington summer rain abated a little at times, although the locals were prepared and determined to let their hair down, drenched or dry. It was reminiscent of when David Bowie came to town a decade ago and worked his magic in similarly inclement conditions.

After their meteoric late 80s, early 90s heyday, Guns N' Roses have charted a familiar rock 'n' roll stony path: separation, litigation, a long hiatus in creative output, until the eventual release of Chinese Democracy and its rather mixed reception.

After Axl Rose pulled out of the Hall of Fame induction a few years ago, the prospects of a reunion seemed dim. Then, as if to complete the fairytale cliché, the band's core of Rose, Slash and Duff McKagan reunited in late 2015, followed by a swift announcement of this gargantuan tour.

Naturally, it had been a long time between drinks for most of the fans too. I fondly remember my long-haired, sixth-form self at my last GNR outing, nervously hoping to bluff my way into getting served at the bar. Twenty years on, the sight of the slightly balding and the rotund, clad in ill-fitting and faded original T-shirts and moshing with energy, was a reassuring plus ca change.

Mindful of the fact that there is no more powerful drug than nostalgia, the setlist was packed with those monster hits from Appetite for Destruction and Use Your Illusion. First, they cruised into It's So Easy as if they really had never been away. The stunning backdrop and regular fireworks kept the momentum going, as the classic songs flowed effortlessly.

There was no interaction from Axl until a few warm-up songs in, when the instantly recognisable opening riff of Welcome To The Jungle fired up the faithful throng. The highlight, predictably, was Sweet Child O' Mine: the mesmerising virtuosity of Slash's solo undimmed by the passage of time.

The entourage reconvenes in Auckland on Saturday February 4 at Western Springs. This should not be missed.

The tour continued with six shows in Australia, at the QSAC Stadium in Brisbane on February 7, two shows at ANZ Stadium in Sydney on February 10 and 11, at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Melbourne on February 14, the Adelaide Oval in Adelaide on February 18, and Domain Stadium in Perth on February 21.

February 7
Arian Buhler
February 10
Arian Buhler
February 11
Arian Buhler
February 14
Arian Buhler
February 18
A.J. Fichera
February 21
Arian Buhler

For the February 10 and 11 shows in Sydney, Angus Young would join the band for Whole Lotta Rosie and Riff Raff, and Angry Anderson from Rose Tattoo joined the band on Nice Boys on February 10. In Melbourne, McBob accidentally yelled out "Sydney" and received boos in return [The Sydney Morning Herald, February 14, 2017].

Richard; Brisbane
February 7, 2017
The band with Angus; Sydney
February 10, 2017
Dizzy; Melbourne
February 14, 2017
Melissa; Adelaide
February 18, 2017
Slash; Perth
February 21, 2017

Review of the Melbourne show by Martin Boulton in The Sydney Morning Herald:

Review: Guns N' Roses rock the MCG in front of 70,000 fans, despite wobbly start

MUSIC
GUNS N' ROSES ★★★★
Melbourne Cricket Ground, February 14

Test matches, Olympic and Commonwealth Games, grand finals and now Guns N' Roses.

The Melbourne Cricket Ground has played host to some of the biggest sporting and cultural events in the city's history and Tuesday night it was rock 'n' roll with Guns N' Roses playing to a crowd of 70,000.

It was a wobbly start, as their adoring Melbourne fans were greeted as "Sydney" a few days after the band played two shows in the Harbour City.

Bemused looks briefly replaced the anticipation across so many faces and boos could be heard as the band bounced on stage cranking out It's So Easy, fireworks blasting from the side of the enormous stage as frontman Axl Rose began working the crowd into a frenzy.

It's almost 25 years since original members of the band - Rose, guitarist Slash and bass player Duff McKagan - were last here together, playing at Calder Park on a blistering summer day also remembered for thunderstorms that delayed the group's arrival on stage.

Tuesday had another wait, this time it was some 50 minutes after the scheduled 8pm start before the group appeared. The opening blunder and first song behind them, the Gunners then blasted through Mr Brownstone from 1987 album Appetite For Destruction and followed soon after with Welcome to the Jungle. In his familiar top hat and curly black locks, Slash looked much as he did when their debut album broke through, while Rose opted for jeans, an array of jackets, shirts and hats rather than the white lycra shorts he sometimes sported in the band's earlier days.

McKagan, who during the group's afternoon soundcheck tweeted "this place is absolutely massive!" to his almost 800,000 followers, looked happy to be on stage alongside his old bandmates, plus guitar slinger Richard Fortus. Frank Ferrer occupied the drumstool where Steven Adler and Matt Sorum had previously sat. Original guitarist Izzy Stradlin, well, he's clearly not coming back any time soon.

The two-and-a-half hour show featured all the Gn'R classics, Sweet Child O' Mine, November Rain with Rose at the piano, a ferocious version of Night Train that was among the night's highlights, Civil War from the 1991 Use Your Illusion releases, Rocket Queen and a cracking Double Talkin' Jive with an almighty guitar intro from Slash.

The truly memorable moments came from Slash's guitar work, while Fortus played a solid second fiddle to the legendary L.A. guitarist.

Another guitarist of some considerable repute, AC/DC's Angus Young, was welcomed on stage as he was last week in Sydney, to huge applause from the Melbourne crowd. Young owned his moment as only he can, playing Whole Lotta Rosie and Riff Raff from the AC/DC catalogue. Seeing Slash and Young together on stage was enough to make anyone forgive the unfortunate blooper from earlier in the night.

After a stage show that left most people gasping, it was showstopper Paradise City that finished the night in a blaze of lights, fireworks and one last costume change from Rose, who brings that extra bit of glitz to the most notoriously glamorous bad boys of rock n' roll.

After the tour, Richard would talka bout playing shows in Australia:

Australia's audiences are very good in that sort of Australian pub type way. They're pretty rowdy and like to have a good time and are passionate about the music.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:05 pm

FEBRUARY 25-MARCH 3, 2017
THE ASIAN TOUR ENDS WITH SHOWS IN SINGAPORE, THAILAND AND UAE

The Asian tour of 2017 ended with three shows at the Changi Exhibition Centre in Singapore, Singapore, on February 25, SCG Stadium in Nonthaburi, Thailand, on February 28, and at the Autism Rocks Arena in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, on March 3.

February 25
Tim Butler
February 28
Arian Buhler

When asked if he still gets excited about touring destinations, Richard would say he still got excited about Thailand:

Well, I get excited about places like Thailand. We were just in Bangkok and it was the first time I ever played Bangkok. And I'd spent plenty of time in Thailand because I used to go there every year and it's my favorite place in the world. So to play Bangkok was a big deal for me and it was a lot of fun.

Playing Thailand... it was the first time I've actually played in Thailand and Thailand is probably my favorite place in the world, so it was great to finally be able to play there because I used to go there quite a bit, used to go every year, and just on holiday. So it was really nice to play there and have all my friends come up.

Singapore
February 25, 2017
The band; Nonthaburi
February 28, 2017

After the tour, Richard would talk about playing shows in Singapore and Dubai:

We went to Singapore, there's a lot of expats there, you know, it's really become... Singapore's completely changed from the last time I've been there, which have been... you know, God, I [?] been in Singapore for like 16 years and [?] completely different. But yeah, it's just a very varied audience, you know, there's are people from all over the world and same with Dubai.

The next year, Axl would discuss the show in Dubai:

We played in Dubai last year and it will be one of those performances that I will always remember. The crowd had so much energy – they were amazing – but it was the journey to the stadium that really sticks with me. There was an accident so we were stuck in traffic that literally wasn’t moving. The driver went off road and we got stuck in the sand – so we had the full proper UAE desert experience.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down