APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

24. NOVEMBER 2002-APRIL 2004: THE TOUR BREAKS DOWN, THE END OF GUNS N' ROSES?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

24. NOVEMBER 2002-APRIL 2004: THE TOUR BREAKS DOWN, THE END OF GUNS N' ROSES? - Page 2 Empty Re: 24. NOVEMBER 2002-APRIL 2004: THE TOUR BREAKS DOWN, THE END OF GUNS N' ROSES?

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:43 pm

JUNE 22, 2004
HOLLYWOOD ROSE: THE ROOTS OF GUNS N' ROSES

2004: "THE ROOTS OF GUNS N' ROSES"

In early 2004 it would be announced that Cleopatra Records would release the album "The Roots of Guns N' Roses" in June 2004 containing old demos from Hollywood Rose, including some tracks remixed by Gilby and Fred Coury [Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles, March 11, 2004]. Cleopatra had bought five old Hollywood Rose songs from Chris Weber and the record contained the original version of these songs as well as new mixes done by Gilby and Fred Coury.

Chris Weber would explain what happened:

About five years ago when I came back to Los Angeles I wanted to do something with it. No point keeping something under your bed if it's interesting. So I got some interests from some places and then I really didn't do anything. Then my band took off and I went on tour and I was doing records. When things slowed down at the end of last year, for some reason, Vicky Hamilton who was Guns N´ Roses manager back then and I've known here for twenty years, she said that there was this record company called Cleopatra Records and that they might be interested in releasing it. She asked them and they thought it was a great idea. So they offered to buy it and do a deal.

And whose idea it was to use Gilby and Coury for remixing:

Not me! I went in actually because I didn't have versions that at the time were representative of what the tapes were. The best versions were on cassette tapes. I had the master recording so I went in and remixed them pretty much exactly as we did when we mixed them in 1983. But I had to remix them myself as well, because it really wasn't anything you could put on a cd. I didn't do anything special to them, so they´re pretty much true to what you would've heard if it was put on your desk back then. I like some of the remixes and some add something to it.

And Gilby would explain how he got involved:

Basically, people gotta understand this: I have a studio and I do many jobs; mixing, recording – a lot of recordings - and production. That was a favor for a friend, Brian, who is the owner of Cleopatra. He told me, “Gilby, I've got these master tapes, I’m going to release them. I think it’d be great if you mixed them. I know that you don’t play, but please do the mix, because you’re the only one who can do it.” So he brought me the tapes and then he thought that it would be a good idea if Tracii played additional guitar on some parts. So the only thing I did was mixing; nothing more. Plus, I knew the music, so I could do a better job.

Cleopatra had also obtained "mechanical licenses" for three songs that had not been co-written by Weber which would result in sales royalties to Guns N' Roses [Court documents, July 2, 2004].

The Roots Of Guns N’ Roses includes the following tracklisting: Original Demo Versions: ‘Shadow Of Your Love’, ‘Rocker’, ‘Killing Time’, ‘Wreckless Life’ and ‘Anything Goes’. Newly Remixed By Gilby Clarke: ‘Shadow Of Your Love’, ‘Rocker’, ‘Killing Time’, ‘Wreckless Life’ and ‘Anything Goes’. Newly Remixed By Fred Coury: ‘Move To The City’ and ‘Wreckless Life’.

Being asked if Weber had more unreleased material:

There's no more of this and in this format. No more high quality sixteen track masters laying around. I do have some songs on video and other stuff, but I really don't have an intent of doing anything with it.

Just a few days after release announcement, Cleopatra Records would state that the record was on hold and may not come out until November [Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles, March 13, 2004]. But then on June 22, 2004, Cleopatra would indeed release the record.

APRIL-JUNE 2004 : THE GUNS N' ROSES PARTNERSHIP TRIES TO STOP THE RELEASE

On April 29, Axl sent a "cease-and-desist" letter to Cleopatra demanding they would halt the release and on May 11 the "mechanical licenses" would be withdrawn [Court documents, July 2, 2004]. On May 14 a letter from Guns N' Roses would clarify that the "mechanical licenses" were rescinded because the album was now titled "The Roots of Guns N' Roses" and not "The Roots of Hollywood Rose" [Court documents, July 2, 2004]. Cleopatra would argue that the title of the album did not infringe on the Guns N’ Roses trademark and that the pictures used did not infringe on Axl's right to publicity [Court documents, July 2, 2004]. On June 8, Guns N' Roses responded by claiming for trademark infringement, false designation of origin, right of publicity, and unfair business practices and they also filed the pending motion seeking a preliminary injunction [Court documents, July 2, 2004]. On June 21, Guns N' Roses filed an emergency motion seeking a temporary restraining order to prevent the planned June 22 release of the album [Court documents, July 2, 2004]. The injunction was denied on July 2 [Court documents, July 2, 2004; AP/Indiana Gazette, July 9, 2004]. On May 23, 2005, the court ruled that Axl, Slash, Duff and Guns N' Roses Music (the defendants in the suit), would pay Cleopatra's legal fees of $24,175.38 [Blabbermouth, May 25, 2005; Court documents, May 24, 2005].
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Stage manager

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 64605

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum