APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1992.08.29 - Super Channel - Interview with Slash in guitar shop in New Orleans

Go down

1992.08.29 - Super Channel - Interview with Slash in guitar shop in New Orleans  Empty 1992.08.29 - Super Channel - Interview with Slash in guitar shop in New Orleans

Post by Blackstar Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:30 am

Transcript:
-----------------

Female interviewer: We are here because… why? Go ahead.

Male interviewer: Slash has the biggest comic book collection in the world.

Female: That’s why we are in-

Male: We’re in the guitar shop, we’ll talk about guitars today – I mean, as well.

Slash: Archie…

Female: 400 copies, and we came to the guitar store to talk about it. No, we’re just kidding-

Male: I heard you’re covering an Archie song on the next record?

Slash: Um, it’s already done, produced, Michael Jackson is singing on it (laughs).

Male: Was it Sugar Sugar or (?)? Name four Archie songs. I mean, get serious, kids.

Female: (Laughs) Only they can do it.

Slash: I played on his record and he said, “Do me a big favor and play on my Archie cover” (laughs).

Male: You know, the situation is, I think, as we came down here to talk about guitars, because Slash is, like, this guitar dude (?)

Female: Wait. He’s like- Slash is like the head guitar dude of the universe.

Slash: (?) this guitar that I bought before the tour started.

Male: Hey, there’s the guitar right here!

Slash: Before the tour started, I bought it and I left it here. (?)

Male: Oh my gosh, this is a gorgeous guitar.

Female: This is your guitar.

Slash: Yeah.

Male: It’s a Slash guitar.

Female: What kind of guitar is it?

Slash: It’s a 57 Gold Top and it’s got the original PAF’s, which are pretty rare, they didn’t… they usually have subpar pickups like…

Male: P-90s…

Slash: Yeah, P-90s, sort of like those, yeah. Anyway, so Albert, the guy who owns this place, called me up about this guitar and I bought it. I had to have it. I have no use for it, really.

Female: You have no use for this guitar?

Slash: No, I’ll play it when I’m in the studio, but otherwise it’s going to spend most of its time in a case in a vault with all my other guitars.

Female: That’s really sad!

Slash: I’ve got 60 of them.

Female: That’s really sad.

Slash: You can’t take them on the road. They’re too valuable.

Female: How much would a guitar like this cost to someone, say, like me?

Slash: About 15 - 15 grand.

Female: 15 grand.

Female: $15,000.

Slash: I’m a guitar freak. I don’t buy anything else but guitars.

Female: So you collect them.

Female: How many guitars do you own?

Slash: 60.

Female: Did you teach yourself how to play?

Slash: Pretty much. I had a guitar teacher. When I first started I didn’t know anything about guitars – I mean, I didn’t even know how many strings are. You know, it’s just this thing that I decided I wanted to do. So I went to a guitar teacher and their way of doing it was, like, piano scales. So, after about three or four tries at Mary Had A Little Lamb, I quit and went on to, like, learning from Zeppelin records, and Aerosmith records, and all that kind of stuff.

Male: Slash got his first-

Slash: Les Paul.

Male: Plain top.

Male: Which was… I guess from me.

Male: High five.

Slash: I was (?) and I have to say it.

Male: And he paid me off in full. He only took three years to pay it off.

Slash: (Laughs).

Male: It was about… let’s say it was about $8,000 or $9,000. Correct?

Slash: It was eight fifty.

Male: $8,500.

Slash: Right.

Male: $8,500. That same Les Paul today is about $35,000 to $45,000. And the reason being-

Slash: I don’t have it.

Female: You don’t have it?

Slash: No. I sold it back to him because Axl knocked it off the stage and broke it, and I said (pretends crying) “I don’t want it anymore.”

Male: When a guy like Slash, obviously with his status with Guns N’ Roses, etc., picks up a guitar, that’s worth $10,000 and every kid in the world says, “Mom, dad, I want a guitar, I want a Les Paul, I want it,” it drives up the prices. And the prices on Les Paul’s right now, since Slash started, probably have tripled or even quadrupled and it’s attested-

Slash: I can’t even buy a guitar anymore.

Female: (Laughs) You can’t buy a guitar anymore.

Male: (?)

Female: (Laughing) It’s getting sadder by the minute, doesn’t it, kids? (To Slash) Did you ever think you’d be doing this?

Slash: No, I just worked towards getting from one point to the other, like, you know, moving forward.

Female: Did you think you’d have all the guitars you dreamed about when you were… Did you dream about guitars when you were a kid?

Slash: Well, I’m such a fanatic that I assumed at some point in time I’d be able to get a hold of this particular guitar, this particular model or something.

Female: Okay, well, there you have it from Slash the fanatic and Howie the… I don’t know what.

Male: Idiot (laughs).

Female: Yeah, Howie the idiot. And we’ll see you next time from somewhere. Bye.

Slash: See ya.

Male: See ya.

Last edited by Blackstar on Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87543

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

1992.08.29 - Super Channel - Interview with Slash in guitar shop in New Orleans  Empty Re: 1992.08.29 - Super Channel - Interview with Slash in guitar shop in New Orleans

Post by Blackstar Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:32 am

I don't know the exact date of the interview, but I assume it was recorded when GN'R played in New Orleans in 1992 (although they had played another show in Louisiana in January 1992).
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87543

Back to top Go down