APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

This I Love

View previous topic View next topic Go down

This I Love

Post by Soulmonster on Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:11 am

THIS I LOVE
Album:
Chinese Democracy, 2008, track no. 13.

Written by:
Axl Rose.

Musicians:
Axl Rose – lead vocals, backing vocals, keyboards, piano, guitar
Robin Finck – lead guitars, keyboards
Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal – lead guitar
Buckethead – lead guitar
Paul Tobias – rhythm guitar, piano
Richard Fortus – rhythm guitar
Tommy Stinson – bass, backing vocals
Dizzy Reed – keyboards, piano, synthesizer, backing vocals
Chris Pitman – keyboards, programming, sub bass, backing vocals, bass, 12 string guitar, mellotron
Bryan "Brain" Mantia – drums, percussion
Frank Ferrer – drums, percussion

Live performances:
'This I Love' was played live for the first time on December 11, 2009, in Taiwan. In total it has, as of {UPDATEDATE}, at least been played {THISILOVESONGS} times.
Lyrics:
And now I don't know why
She wouldn't say goodbye
But then it seems that I
Had seen it in her eyes

And it might not be wise
I'd still have to try
With all the love
I have inside
I can't deny

I just can't let it die
Cause her heart's just like mine
And she holds her pain inside

So if you ask me why
She wouldn't say goodbye
I know somewhere inside

There is a special light
Still shining bright
And even on the darkest night
She can't deny

So if she's somewhere near me
I hope to God she hears me
There's no one else
Could ever make me feel
I'm so alive
I hoped she'd never leave me
Please God you must believe me
I've searched the universe
And found myself
Within' her eyes

No matter how I try
They say it's all a lie
So what's the use of my confessions to a crime
Of passions that won't die
In my heart

There's no one else
Could ever make me feel
I'm so alive

And found myself
Within' her eyes

There's no one else
Could ever make me feel
I'm so alive

And found myself
Within' her eyes

So now I don't know why
She wouldn't say goodbye
It just might be that I
Had seen it in her eyes
And now it seems that I
Gave up my ghost of pride
I'll never say goodbye

Quotes:
I wrote and recorded a new love song that I want on the next record called 'This I Love', that's the heaviest thing that I've ever done [Hit Parader, 1993]

Talking about the next record: Slash has been working with a lot of riffs, and I've been working out where my head's at about things. I'd like the next record to go to farther extremes. If I'm expressing anger, I'd like to take that farther; if I'm expressing happiness and joy, I'd like to take that farther. We haven't actually gotten together to collaborate on too many songs. I wrote and recorded a new song that I want to have on the record called 'This I Love.' [Raw Magazine, 1993]

['This I Love' is] still [the heaviest thing I've written] and ultimately a great healing experience to compose something you have no real idea you're capable of such as the bridge. It's a lot more intricate than I think most realize yet as the guitar and vocals are placed as they should be so dominant. The main string melody in that section I had originally written to a hip-hop loop as well [chinesedemocracy.com, December 13, 2008]

Robin: When I knew I was gonna go in and record one of the lead parts on "This I Love," I would listen a few times without playing. I would listen to the track without playing guitar and just kinda try to hear what comes natural as far as starting low or starting high or where to begin and where to end up. I've always liked guitar players that play in phrases maybe like a horn player who needs to take a breath. I don't think about it - I'm thinkin' about it more now because you've asked me than I have ever thought about it (laughs). There wasn't a lot of thinkin' going on to be honest. [Ultimate Guitar, January 2014]

Explaining what he is most proud of: Right now a lot on [Chinese Democracy]. For me musically it would have to be the orchestral arrangement in the bridge of TIL [chinesedemocracy.com, December 13, 2008]

Talking about making Chinese Democracy: I didn’t want to do This I love in anyway shape or form and Robin and Caram insisted gaining Tommy’s and the others support [mygnrforum.com, December 14, 2008]

Paraphrased: This may be the only GN'R song written in France [Concert in Amnéville, France, September 2010]

Talking about his favorite song off Chinese Democracy: Probably ‘This I Love’ is one that really hooked me, because it’s just a great song, lyrically and musically; it goes through a rollercoaster of emotions. It’s very heartfelt, you can tell [Classic Rock Magazine; June 23, 2011]

I really like - and at first hated it - This I Love. At first, I just couldn't get my head around the solo, so I had to tweak it out and just make it a little bit more mine. I am really bad at mocking other guitar players. I've never been that good at learning cover songs - it's just never been my thing, so it was hard to wrap my head around [Robin's] style. That one was way harder than a Slash solo, in my opinion [Total Guitar, December 2012]

'This I Love' performed live on January 31, 2010, in Ottawa, Canada:

'This I Love' performed live on September 9, 2010, in Zürich, Switzerland:

'This I Love' performed live on September 29, 2010, in Bucharest, Romania:

Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 50300

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum