APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Used To Love Her

Go down

Used To Love Her

Post by Soulmonster on Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:16 am

USED TO LOVE HER
Album:
Lies, track no. 6.

Written by:
Guns N' Roses.

Musicians:
Vocals: Axl Rose; lead Guitar: Slash; rhythm guitar: Izzy Stradlin; bass: Duff McKagan; drums: Steven Adler.

Live performances:
This song was played for the first time October 30, 1987 at an acoustic gig at CBGB's, USA. In total it has, as of {UPDATEDATE}, at least been played {UTLHSONGS} times.
Lyrics:
I used to love her, but I had
       to kill her
       I used to love her, but I had to kill her
       I had to put her
       Six feet under
       And I can still hear her complain

I knew I miss her
       So I had to keep her
       She's buried right in my back yard

She bitched so much
       She drove me nuts
       And now I'm happier this way

I had to put her
       Six feet under
       And I can still hear her complain

Quotes:
Our first song I would not consider a true song but maybe how you feel sometimes [New York, NY, CBGB's - October 30, 1987].

It’s very tongue-in- cheek! It’s not to be taken seriously, ya know, it’s like a joke. I don’t condone wife-beating. I understand it, but I don’t condone it. So, it’s very tongue-in-cheek [MTV, 1988].

Used To Love Her is one we've played in concert a lot, and we got a lot of heat about it because the lyric goes, 'I used to love her, but I had to kill her.' People think it's about one of our old girlfriends, but it's actually about Axl's dog. It's really a joke, nothing more [Hit Parader, May 1989].

Listen to me, fuckers. This is a song that we wrote as a joke. We actually wrote this making fun of another band's song, some song about kissing ass and I thought that was really pussy, so. We wrote this as a joke, but it is basically what to do with your sweet child, or sweet boy, when they become a pain in your fucking ass. And it's called 'I Used To Love Her But I Had To Kill Her' [Val du Lakes Amphitheatre, July 30, 1988].

'I Used To Love Her But I Had To Kill Her' is a joke. I was sitting around listening to the radio and some guy was whining about a broad who was treating him bad. I wanted to take the radio and smash it against the wall. Such self-pity! What a wimp! So we rewrote the same song we heard with a better ending, it's a real New York type song [Superstar Facts No. 16, 1988].

[It's] a joke. Wife beating's been around for 10 million years or something, I mean, I don't advocate it. I understand it. But I don't treat women any differently than I treat men [Rolling Stone, November 1988].

The first type I heard lyrics to that song was back at the Hell House. Axl and Duff came up with them. I thought it was so damn funny ["My Appetite for Destruction", 2010, pp. 160].

'Used To Love Her' performed for the first time live at CBGB's, October 30, 1987:

Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 51535

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum