APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Shadow Of Your Love

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shadow Of Your Love

Post by Soulmonster on Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:28 am

SHADOW OF YOUR LOVE
Album:
Album: Never featured on any full length albums.
EP: Geffen (25XD-977), "Live from the Jungle" (Japan only release, 1988.)
Singles: GEF 22T 12" It's So Easy / Mr. Brownstone / Shadow Of Your Love (live) / Move To The City (live); GEF 22TP 12" It's So Easy / Mr. Brownstone / Shadow Of Your Love (live) / Move To The City (live); GET 21692 12" Live And Let Die (LP version) / Live And Let Die (Live version) / Shadow Of Your Love; GFSTD 17 CD stencil Live And Let Die (LP version) / Live And Let Die (Live version) / Shadow Of Your Love; GED21692 CD Live And Let Die (LP version) / Live And Let Die (Live version) / Shadow Of Your Love.

Written by:
Izzy Stradlin.

Musicians:
Vocals: Axl Rose; lead Guitar: Slash; rhythm guitar: Izzy Stradlin; bass: Duff McKagan; drums: Steven Adler.

Live performances:
This song was a Hollywood Rose song that was brought into Guns N' Roses. It was played a lot in 1985, a few times in 1986 and once in 1987. It has not been played since. In total it has, as of {UPDATEDATE}, at least been played {SHADOWSONGS} times.
Lyrics:
Took my chances carelessly
choked on my own cigarette
You can hand me another bottle of whiskey baby
but you aint seen the worst yet

Now I'm reckless, gonna have some fun
and the woman who is dead
who was out alnight, no I'm not the only one

And I ain't standing, never standing
in the shadow of your love
shadow of your love
shadow of your love
shadow of your love

Wrote my changes helplessly
yeah but I got no regrets
Money it was on the table
so I booked with all the bets

Living like a lemon aint so hot
and you aint my idea
of one high-rollin' shot

No I ain't standing, never standing

[Chorus]

Big dark clouds hanging over your head
hope you've heard, baby all I've said
You've been told, what I've said
No use crying, you're as good as dead

Now I'm reckless, gonna have some fun
and the woman who is dead, who is out alright
now I'm not the only one

And I ain't standing, never standing

[Chorus]

Quotes:
Talking about the time when he entered the band: Izzy and Axl already had some songs, and the other guys knew them: "Think About You," "Anything Goes," "Move To The City," "Shadow of Your Love," and "Don't Cry." And we did sped-up punk versions of the Stones' "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and Elvis Presley's "Heartbreak Hotel" [Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 59].

Recounting the first session with producer Mike Clint prior to Appetite for Destruction: We did one session with [Mike Clink] and recorded 'Shadow Of Your Love,' which was the best song in the set the first time I saw Hollywood Rose. Our version of it didn't make the album, but it was eventually released on a Japanese EP  [Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York. p. 166].

I can't really say for sure why it didn't make the record in the end. It was just a real simple, good rocking song, but I guess it wasn't as "seasoned" as a lot of the other material. And probably Axl didn't quite see the potential in it [Guitar World, 2007 (?)].

'Shadow of Your Love' performed live at The Roxy, USA, January 18, 1986:

Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder!
Plectra : 48856

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top