APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Guns N'Roses songs that get undeserved hate?

4 posters

Go down

Guns N'Roses songs that get undeserved hate? Empty Guns N'Roses songs that get undeserved hate?

Post by Pretty Tied Up Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:15 pm

I think My World gets undeserved hate. It's a raw, primal sounding song. That scream that Axl does that sounds like he is choking his own throat is one of the best screams he has ever done. Blows me away every time. Had My World not been known as a Guns n'Roses song, it be praised for how good it is. I think it gets undeserved hate because People were not used to Axl sounding so primal and raw. Had it been assumed to have been say a Nine Inch nails song, this song would be getting a lot of love.
Pretty Tied Up
Pretty Tied Up

Plectra : 661

Back to top Go down

Guns N'Roses songs that get undeserved hate? Empty Re: Guns N'Roses songs that get undeserved hate?

Post by ludurigan Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:32 pm

I would love to listen to an Axl Rose solo album consisting of songs like My World

It hasn't much (or anything at all) to do with Guns n' Roses musically but it has Axl at the top of his game.

In my opinion THAT Axl is far more fun, interesting and enjoyable to listen to than the Axl that surfaced some 15-plus years later on his solo album.
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5311

Back to top Go down

Guns N'Roses songs that get undeserved hate? Empty Re: Guns N'Roses songs that get undeserved hate?

Post by Pretty Tied Up Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:41 pm

ludurigan wrote:I would love to listen to an Axl Rose solo album consisting of songs like My World

It hasn't much (or anything at all) to do with Guns n' Roses musically but it has Axl at the top of his game.

In my opinion THAT Axl is far more fun, interesting and enjoyable to listen to than the Axl that surfaced some 15-plus years later on his solo album.

Axl doesn't have a solo album.  Chinese Democracy is the closest Axl comes to having a Solo Album.  CD sounds like Axl rose with a bunch of unknown musicians playing their instruments.  It doesn't feel all that much like  Guns N'Roses at all. It sounds like Axl decided to go solo and just put the name "Guns N'Roses," on the album for CD.

Last edited by Pretty Tied Up on Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pretty Tied Up
Pretty Tied Up

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:50 pm

Pretty Tied Up wrote:I think My World gets undeserved hate. It's a raw, primal sounding song. That scream that Axl does that sounds like he is choking his own throat is one of the best screams he has ever done. Blows me away every time.  Had My World not been known as a Guns n'Roses song, it be praised for how good it is. I think it gets undeserved hate because People were not used to Axl sounding so primal and raw. Had it been assumed to have been say a  Nine Inch nails song, this song would be getting a lot of love.

I agree that it gets undeserved hate because it was released as a GN'R tune, but at the same time I also understand why people don't like a brand being diluted. Regardless, I don't think it is a particularly great song. It is okay, I suppose, but not really my style of music.

Undeserved hate? Do I dare to say One In a Million? Let me explain, it gets a lot of deserved hate which overshadows the fact that it is a great melody with great arrangement, a fantastic solo from Slash and one of Axl's best ever singing. REALLY unfortunate Axl botched the lyrics.

Here's a song that gets underserved hate, Eye On You, and I guess the reasons are as for My World, although I personally really like Eye On You. People go on about the macdaddy lyrics and I still don't understand what the problem is (I also never understood the hate for the yellow raincoat). I think there are some cultural codes I really don't grasp, like macdaddy and yellow raincoats being REALLY uncool. But yeah, not a very GN'R sounding song at all but if you can dig that kind of music genre then I think it is absolute fantastic.

Absurd also gets more hate than it deserves in my opinion, but again I thin it is more a result of people being disappointed (resurrecting an old nuGNR song instead of writing something new/choosing that song over something we have never heard, the disappointment of Slash working on CD era songs, etc) than actually having anything against the song. That being said, it is also not particularly great, just a fun little thing that doesn't deserve such passionate hate. People also go on about the lyrics but I don't get that, either. Yes, it is vulgar, yes, they are against some woman. So?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

Post by Pretty Tied Up Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:54 pm

Soulmonster wrote:
Pretty Tied Up wrote:I think My World gets undeserved hate. It's a raw, primal sounding song. That scream that Axl does that sounds like he is choking his own throat is one of the best screams he has ever done. Blows me away every time.  Had My World not been known as a Guns n'Roses song, it be praised for how good it is. I think it gets undeserved hate because People were not used to Axl sounding so primal and raw. Had it been assumed to have been say a  Nine Inch nails song, this song would be getting a lot of love.

I agree that it gets undeserved hate because it was released as a GN'R tune, but at the same time I also understand why people don't like a brand being diluted. Regardless, I don't think it is a particularly great song. It is okay, I suppose, but not really my style of music.

Undeserved hate? Do I dare to say One In a Million? Let me explain, it gets a lot of deserved hate which overshadows the fact that it is a great melody with great arrangement, a fantastic solo from Slash and one of Axl's best ever singing. REALLY unfortunate Axl botched the lyrics.

Here's a song that gets underserved hate, Eye On You, and I guess the reasons are as for My World, although I personally really like Eye On You. People go on about the macdaddy lyrics and I still don't understand what the problem is (I also never understood the hate for the yellow raincoat). I think there are some cultural codes I really don't grasp, like macdaddy and yellow raincoats being REALLY uncool. But yeah, not a very GN'R sounding song at all but if you can dig that kind of music genre then I think it is absolute fantastic.

Absurd also gets more hate than it deserves in my opinion, but again I thin it is more a result of people being disappointed (resurrecting an old nuGNR song instead of writing something new/choosing that song over something we have never heard, the disappointment of Slash working on CD era songs, etc) than actually having anything against the song. That being said, it is also not particularly great, just a fun little thing that doesn't deserve such passionate hate. People also go on about the lyrics but I don't get that, either. Yes, it is vulgar, yes, they are against some woman. So?

I don't like One In A Million either. Axl saying the N word is a huge no no, especially since he is white. Him using the f word was a huge no no too. Luckily One In a Million got rereleased in 2018 and the offensive words were left out as they should be. Shouldn't have ever been part of the song in the first place.
Pretty Tied Up
Pretty Tied Up

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:07 pm

Pretty Tied Up wrote:
I don't like One In A Million either. Axl saying the N word is a huge no no, especially since he is white.  Him using the f word was a huge no no too. Luckily One In a Million got rereleased in 2018 and the offensive words were left out as they should be. Shouldn't have ever been part of the song in the first place.
I don't know where you heard this, but One In A Million was not re-released in 2018.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:08 pm

Pretty Tied Up wrote:

Soulmonster wrote:

I don't like One In A Million either. Axl saying the N word is a huge no no, especially since he is white.  Him using the f word was a huge no no too. Luckily One In a Million got rereleased in 2018 and the offensive words were left out as they should be. Shouldn't have ever been part of the song in the first place.

Did OIAM get rereleased in 2018? And it wouldn't really make much sense to just bleep out offensive words.

Police and *bleep*, that's right
Get outta my way
Don't need to buy none of your
Gold chains today

Immigrants and *bleep*
They make no sense to me
They come to our country
And think they'll do as they please
Like start some mini-Iran
Or spread some *bleep* disease
And they talk so many goddamn ways
It's all Greek to me

Only a moron would find this much better. It is not the offensive words that is the problem, it is the offensive sentiment and the sentiment remains even when you bleep out certain words. It's a pet peeve to me that people think words are the problem and not the intended message behind those words. Words are just a collection of letters, intended meaning, intent, sentiment, speaks of people's opinions and feelings and they can actually be dangerous. I can write much more abrasive, hateful, dangerous texts with no swearing than immature uses of f words.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

Post by Pretty Tied Up Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:01 pm

I was mistaken. One In A Million was completely omitted from the 2018 Lies Reissue, it wasn't just the offensive lyrics omitted, the entire song is not on the 2018 Lies Reissue.
Pretty Tied Up
Pretty Tied Up

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down