APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Axl featured in upcoming Scooby Doo episode

2 posters

Go down

Axl featured in upcoming Scooby Doo episode Empty Axl featured in upcoming Scooby Doo episode

Post by Soulmonster Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:07 am

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76206

Uli and denitza like this post

Back to top Go down

Axl featured in upcoming Scooby Doo episode Empty Re: Axl featured in upcoming Scooby Doo episode

Post by Blackstar Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:52 pm

How ‘Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?’ Landed That Axl Rose Guest Spot

It’s been many years since Axl Rose released a note of new music or agreed to an in-depth interview, but the elusive Guns N’ Roses frontman has shown a surprising willingness to lend his voice to cartoons. Two years ago, he appeared on Boomerang’s New Looney Tunes where he saved the world from an asteroid by singing “Rock the Rock” with Bugs Bunny on guitar. And tonight he’ll be guesting on the network’s Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? where he’ll get to interact with Shaggy, Fred, Velma, and Scooby-Doo himself.

The singer is the latest in a long line of celebrities to guest on the show during the past two years, including Morgan Freeman, Whoopi Goldberg, Halsey, Ricky Gervais, Christian Slater, and George Takei. We phoned up showrunner Chris Bailey to hear about this newest version of Scooby-Doo and what it was like working with Axl Rose.

[...]

How does this work logistically? Do the guest stars go into the studio, or do they work from home because of Covid?

Luckily, when we did Axl, he actually came into the studio, which is always ideal. Most of our guest stars record by themselves. The gang usually gets together and we love to record guest stars with the gang, but it rarely works out scheduling-wise for us. Since Covid, I did do a few recording sessions last year when we were finishing up Season Two. It was mostly over the phone.

What sparked the idea to bring in Axl Rose?

Well, I was having a meeting with my directors and Mike Ryan, my story editor. It was one of our semi-regular meetings where we go, “Who should we have on the show?” People would just raise their hands. And Mike Milo, the director of the episode, he just said, “How about Axl Rose?”

He’s a huge Axl Rose fan. We were like, “Yeah, that would be great. Would he do it?” He was like, “I don’t know. He did that Bugs Bunny thing. Maybe he’ll do this.” Our executives said, “Great,” and most importantly, Axl said yes. It was literally that simple.

It didn’t take long to get him to agree?

No. I think it came pretty quickly, as I recall. Some people take a little while to get back to us and we don’t know if they aren’t sure or if their agent is hedging, but I don’t recall any of that with him, so it must have gone pretty smoothly.

What was so fun about it is that I’m a morning person. I just do my best work before noon. We booked a recording studio and were told, “He likes to work at 1 a.m.” I was like, “What?” And there was indeed a request that he do it at midnight or 11 p.m. I was like, “I’m going to be wrecked by then.” We compromised and did it at 9 p.m.

Mike Ryan, the story editor who wrote the premise, we just went to dinner and hung out at the recording studio. When Axl showed up, he was so cool and, like, “Hey, hi.” It was like, “Wait, you’re Axl Rose. …” It was wonderful.

Did he want art approval or story approval? How did that work?

We always let the stars sign off on their likeness. But there’s no real approval of story or anything like that. What Mike Ryan does is look into the personal lives of some of the guests we have on. That hooks our story up with an interest or something to make it more personal. We just read that Axl was into archeology and motorcycles. And so it was like, “Alright, let’s have some ancient Mayan ruins in the middle of the desert and some big Mudmen Scooby-Doo monsters in there that are trying to steal the gold.”

What was it like being with Axl?

It’s funny because he was so professional and easy-going. He was just like, “Yeah, however you want to do it, man.” That’s great because I like working with people and connecting with people. But in the back of your mind you’re like, “Wow, it’s Axl Rose.”

What’s funny is usually when I work with actors for the first time, I’ll ask them if they want me to read the voices with them. Usually, the next question is, “Do you want me to do the voices or not do the voices?” Some actors are distracted by it.

And so Axl read his passage and then I jumped in with my best Shaggy and Scooby, and he busted up laughing. He must have laughed for 30 seconds. He was like, “Man, I was not expecting that.” I was like, “Should I not do that?” He was like, “No, no. It’s great. I just did not know that was coming.”

I imagine he grew up on Scooby-Doo as a kid in the Seventies.

Yeah. He totally got it. He got all the jokes. He knew who they were. Somehow, it made sense to him that he was acquainted with Shaggy and Scooby and they bonded over their love of diner pie. Shaggy and Scooby were the only ones that could keep up with him. And in the episode, Axl carries around these tiny, little tasting forks and he has them for Shaggy and Scooby. It’s very silly, but they played together very nicely.

Oh, one more thing happened. At the end of the recording, we ask people to make a bunch of silly noises for the episodes. A simple one might be like, “Give me five seconds of walking a tightrope and you’re afraid to fall.” Or I’ll go, ” … the sound you make when you’re punched in the stomach or picking up a heavy object and throwing it.”

Some people are like, “You’re kidding me, right?” But he was like, “I’m in!” Whatever we asked for, he was like, “Great!” But it’s funny. A bunch of people get self-conscious about making silly noises, but not him.

Does he sing at any point?

No. That would have been our holy grail, but no. He doesn’t sing. We would love to have had a song or original piece, but it wasn’t something that was worked out, for whatever reason. It was on our wish list and it didn’t happen, but I can’t speak to why.

The mere fact he was on was a real coup. He doesn’t say yes to a lot.

I know. It’s funny. He came in under the radar and was like, “Hey.” I remember walking to my car at the end and he was driving away in his truck. He came in like the wind, did his job, was magnanimous with everybody, and then he was gone. It was like Batman. You turn around and it’s like, “Hey, where did he go?”

[...]
Full article:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/scooby-doo-axl-rose-cameo-interview-1132969/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85486

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Axl featured in upcoming Scooby Doo episode Empty Re: Axl featured in upcoming Scooby Doo episode

Post by Blackstar Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:54 pm

Full episode:

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85486

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down