APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1997.05.28 - WAAF Boston - Interview with Slash

2 posters

Go down

1997.05.28 - WAAF Boston - Interview with Slash Empty 1997.05.28 - WAAF Boston - Interview with Slash

Post by Blackstar Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:45 pm

Transcript:

[live footage from a Slash's Blues Ball show]

Interviewer: Slash's Blues Ball! What's going on, Slash?

Slash: Just hanging out in Boston.

Interviewer: Dude, you look like you are meeting at the shore's kicking…

Slash: Well, we just came from Chicago, right? Freezing cold, so I got up this morning, I open the window, I was like, "It's actually sunny!" so we can wear today.

Interviewer: It's beautiful outside.

Slash: Very nice, there's a ball game going on.

Interviewer: Yeah, right across the street. So you got out, you enjoyed the city a little bit. Let me ask you. I want to get this out of the way, like, right now. Well people, you know, are asking me…

Slash: The GN'R question.

Interviewer: What is the big GN'R answer?

Slash: Uhm, it's real simple. Me and Axl had more or less a musical... difference of opinion as far as musical direction. Simple as that. You've heard it a million times. It's a rock n roll cliche. And instead of going where I didn't feel comfortable, I just said, "You know what, you do what you're gonna do, I'm just gonna go out and jam, and then, whenever we meet on the same ground, I'll be around." Simple as that.

Interviewer: So it was pretty.... it was, it was mutual?

Slash: It wasn't necessarily mutual, you know [laughing] It's my way of looking at it and then his is probably a lot different, but...

Interviewer: …but you're just gonna go out and…

Slash: ...I'm just gonna keep it the same thing again after this is over.

Interviewer: ...rock?

Slash: This is winding down now, we have like three more days left and then and then I'll go and do a Snakepit record. So...

Interviewer: Cool. Now with Slash's Blues Ball...

Slash: [?]

Interviewer: Okay, what kind of music you guys playing? I mean, I know it's rock, but...

Slash: It was really, what happened was, to make a long story short, we got hired to do a gig in Hungary and we had to make a name for it so we called it Slash's Blue Ball.

Interviewer: Yeah that's, the first day I saw it up in our studios, like, that's what I call that's it, "Slash's Blue Balls".

Slash: Well, once we're coming into the States we were thinking, you know, we can't call it that, it's gonna look too desperate, so we changed it to "Slash's Blues Ball" but we play anywhere from Bill Withers all the way up to AC/DC. So it's not a total... like, some people expect, like, a Chicago blues kind of deal and it's not. We just play the way we play it.

Interviewer: So that's just the name that you had to come up with when you came back?

Slash: Exactly, and we've been doing it for nine months now.

Interviewer: I got...now, how much would I believe about what I read about you?

Slash: You know what, to tell you the truth, 75% of it is BS.

Interviewer: All right, cuz all I hear is, like, "Slash! Chicks!"

Slash: That I was handcuffed to a bed that didn't even have a bedpost. It was in the New York Times. I had to call my wife to tell her,  "Look, don't believe this, it was not... didn't happen." They said they had to get a rescue team to come get me from a room that does not have a bedpost. How could I possibly be handcuffed to it? And that's what people read.

Interviewer: How do you deal, like, with, I mean, the females are just, I mean, it's gonna be crazy in here tonight? Plus it's "Whip'em Out Wednesday."

Slash: Yeah I can't wait. You just changed my whole day.

Interviewer: Yea, Opie and Anthony have come up with, uh, "Whip'em Out Wednesday."

Slash: When I was a little kid my mom told me that I didn't like to be breastfed, so I'm making up for it now.

[laughter]

Interviewer: Yeah, it's like, right from the tap. You can be drinking from the tap tonight. Yeah, well, they came up with this and even on the way down here this afternoon we're driving down the pike [?] and, uh, we pulled up next to a car and they were like showing, showing the [?].

Slash: That's spirit, though. Especially if it's cold out.

Interviewer: And the turkeys are done!

Slash: Don't me started! Why would you want me to go there? [laughing]

Interviewer: I am sorry…

Slash: Luckily I don't have any family here.

Interviewer: One girl asked me, she goes, "What kind of pants is he gonna wear tonight, the leather pants? Is it gonna be the butt cheek hanging out pants?"

Slash: Yeah, I guess, cuz that's all I got.

[laughter]

Interviewer: All right man, have a great show tonight. I want to thank you for doing this benefit. It's helping out the homeless vets. I'm Rocco, this is Slash from Slash's Blues Ball and this is WAF Real Rock TV.

Last edited by Blackstar on Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Back to top Go down

1997.05.28 - WAAF Boston - Interview with Slash Empty Re: 1997.05.28 - WAAF Boston - Interview with Slash

Post by Soulmonster Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:06 am

This must be from May 28 since they are talking about the show happening the same night. According to setlist.fm, the band played in Boston on May 28.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

1997.05.28 - WAAF Boston - Interview with Slash Empty Re: 1997.05.28 - WAAF Boston - Interview with Slash

Post by Soulmonster Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:08 am

And they also mention it is "Whip'em Out Wednesday", and May 28 was on a Wednesday.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:39 am

Soulmonster wrote:And they also mention it is "Whip'em Out Wednesday", and May 28 was on a Wednesday.
Yes, it's also confirmed by this article in The Boston Globe, May 30, 1997:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4407-1997-05-30-the-boston-globe-slashing-for-waaf
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down