APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

The Great Book Thread

2 posters

Go down

The Great Book Thread Empty The Great Book Thread

Post by Soulmonster Sat May 21, 2011 9:24 pm

I just finished book three in Conn Iggulden's series on Ghengis Khan. Brilliant stuff. Conn really knows how to write historical novels The Great Book Thread 90521 Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76906

Back to top Go down

The Great Book Thread Empty Re: The Great Book Thread

Post by Pawnshop-Sitars Sat May 21, 2011 9:51 pm

I don't actually read novels. I'm a non fiction guy The Great Book Thread 90521
I have been known to read novels from time to time actually. The Stand by Stephen King (unabridged) is amazing, and the Lord of the Rings is just untouchable The Great Book Thread 2474380249
Pawnshop-Sitars
Pawnshop-Sitars

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 4982

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat May 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Lord of the Rings is fucking brilliant. I recommended the books to a good friend of mien as a kid. He had never read a book before but agreed to read them. He read the trilogy and was very happy. Actually so pleased that he read them again. And again. In total I believe he read them seven times in a row. THEN he decided to read some other books. He is a huge fantasy nut now.

I also had a period where I only read non fiction. It comes and goes. When I travel much, which I have been doing the last three years I get to read more, so then I swallow lots of novels and stuff. When I studied I mostly read science books.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pawnshop-Sitars Sat May 21, 2011 10:22 pm

I only read history and political works for the most part, but I do find time to read Lord of the Rings roughly once a year The Great Book Thread 373930
Pawnshop-Sitars
Pawnshop-Sitars

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat May 21, 2011 10:23 pm

That is excellent! I read it every third year or so Wink. I read it aloud to my wife a couple of years back (she had never read it before). That was very nice. I love the movies too, among my favourites.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pawnshop-Sitars Sat May 21, 2011 10:36 pm

Agreed. The movies are really well done. I can't wait for The Hobbit!

See those khan novels you were reading; what's the deal with them? I've read a few histories of Ghenghis Khan, and even Subotei his greatest general, so I would be intrigued to know what a historical novel about him would be like. I've only ever read one historical novel and that was back in Primary school The Great Book Thread 731979
Pawnshop-Sitars
Pawnshop-Sitars

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat May 21, 2011 10:49 pm

It follows Ghenghis from birth till death and his descendants further. Epic in scope, very well written. The historical sources are contradicting at times, so Iggulden is allowed to choose and adjust to make the novels really epic and a good read. I can highly recommend the books.

That is amazing, just 3 minutes ago I talked to my wife about Subotei! He is given a lot of room in the novels so I read his his wikipedia entry to and discussed him with my wife.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pawnshop-Sitars Sat May 21, 2011 10:57 pm

Hmmm...could be something I want to read! And you are right about Mongol information being contradictory. There is hardly any of it either, which means a concise history of them is basically impossible The Great Book Thread 78492

But it's good to hear Subotei gets in there! That guy never lost a battle. Some of his campaigns were epic as well - his strategies and tactics are still relevant today. Not bad for the son of a blacksmith!
Pawnshop-Sitars
Pawnshop-Sitars

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat May 21, 2011 11:08 pm

It's a very good read and you never feel that the story is unrealistic. It is really good. One of the better historical novel writers I know of.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down