APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

The Great And Only Reunion Thread

2 posters

Go down

The Great And Only Reunion Thread Empty The Great And Only Reunion Thread

Post by Soulmonster Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:53 pm

Let's get it over with in one thread.

If Axl was to break down and finally realize what the meat and potatoes of Guns N' Roses always has been, I'm only a phone call away [Axe-Man Slash Keeps Door Open To Guns N' Roses, Music News Of The World, February 1999]
We've had a million offers for millions of dollars to get back together to play "one-off" gigs. Obviously, everybody's on his own schedule, but I am all for it! Axl and I have never seen eye-to-eye on this one, though. He refused them all. But at this point in my career-and it's probably the same with the other guys in Guns-if someone asks, "Do you guys wanna get together and play one show?" I'd be around, but things would have to drastically change: We'd have to go out there and do it with the original band. Or, for the most part, with the original band-I don't know where Steven Adler is, at this point. I don't have any kind of deep-rooted hatred-I don't hate Axl, and obviously, I don't have any problems with the other guys. The way it worked out was just unpleasant. But it'll probably be a long way from now when that happens, because everyone's either too busy, or Axl's gotta finish his Guns N' Roses record with his new lineup. It was all real confusing: We took Guns as far as we did, and then he wanted to turn the whole things toward left field. The only thing I've heard since is "Oh My God" from End of Days. I heard it just the one time I went to see the movie. But I can accept that. It's kind of like breaking up with a girlfriend: "Well, she wants another guy." Whatever [Guitar One Magazine, April 2000]
If someone comes up to me and asks me if GN'R is going to get back together, I say that if it was the original band and if everybody could straighten their heads out enough to be in the same room to do it, then I would do one show if the situation was right," he says. "We've been offered *millions* of dollars to regroup. Originally, I thought, 'Shit! A couple of days of rehearsal and then go out and play in front of a really excited, enthusiastic audience? Might be fun'. But when we recorded a Stones song ('Sympathy For The Devil' for the 'Interview With A Vampire' soundtrack), Axl didn't even show up. So everybody lost interest. If it was the original band, and Steven Adler could get his shit back together, which I know that he's been trying to do since time began, since I still talk to him all the time. But, the chances of that happening are pretty much nil. I wouldn't quit what I'm doing now to go back to Guns for any amount of money. It's not about the money [Kerrang!, June 2000]
It's like [a reunion of GN'R] wouldn't happen. If it were going to happen it would be for a second, just so that the guys -- all sort of being more or less still friends -- could go "Hey! Hi!" and then play like a song. But it's so not that. [...] The thing is, when it ended, it was a series of events that made it end. When I got out of it I was just like, okay that's a chapter done! I can't foresee it all coming back together and being what it once was. That's my whole attitude [Pandomag.com, 2000]
If it's something democratic between the five of us, that's something I would love to do. Not long ago we were offered several shows to begin the new Millennium in Australia. But there's no way it could be like the old days. Things have changed [Popular 1, July 2000]
You know what? Everybody keeps talking about it. Chances are, I don't see it in the foreseeable future [laughs]. There's too much bullshit. I mean if somebody goes, "Hey, you know what? There's a weekend here, or a weekend there. You guys want to all get together and fucking go and do these two shows here at such and such a place or whatever", I'd be like, well, first things first. It's got to be the original band and then you've got to get us all into one room and, schedules permitting, I have no fucking intention of slowing down what I'm doing with Snakepit. I'm saying that, but, more so than anything, I think the person that would rather not have that happen would be Axl. That's the whole reason this all started in the first place [metal-is.com, September 2000]
For the fans and for the excitement of the whole thing, if it was the original band and we all had some sort of meeting of the minds and we were going to do one show and schedules permitting . . . you know, I'll be around. It's not like I'm going anywhere. But I don't have time to wait around for it for any reason other than just doing it for fun [Rolling Stone magazine, October 2000]
I don’t think that’s ever been for me to say. That’s a question that should be directed at Axl. I haven’t even spoken to him in about eight years, so I have no idea where his head is at right now. All I know is that I’m very excited about Velvet Revolver, and that’s where my total focus is at the moment. It’s gonna have to be something very special for me to change that focus – ever for a short while [Hit Parader, 2005]
On if he considers a reunion possible: Yes, of course. I wrote a big part of that material [loveloveleon, 2006?]
I think if it did ever happen, obviously we're all just talking crap [laughs], everybody would wanna see the original lineup with Izzy and Steven, but the fact is that Steven couldn't do it anymore, he's just not capable of doing that set, playing the songs that Matt has recorded as well as the ones he has, so probably Matt would be the drummer. Obviously I'm sure they would ask Izzy before me, if Izzy wanted to do it he would do it, if he didn't want to do it, then they would probably ask me, I would hope [laughs]. It would have to come down to what the circumstances were. Like I said, I still love the music, I still love performing. We would just have to see. It's a fun question to talk about, but we really don't have that answer [The Gilby Clarke Interview!, 2006]
There's no real, easy, positive answer for all of it. There's been a lot of negative stuff handed around over the last ten years, but I am way past saying anything negative. As far as the band ever getting back together, it's so far-fetched. I think Izzy's gone and jammed with them a couple of times, but I don't thik anyone has any interest. I've obviously moved on and have a lot to do with Velvet Revolver, so that's where my head is. Obviously it's not an idea that I'm entertaining in any way, shape, or form at this point. I think the more time that passes, the less likely it will happen - and it was pretty unlikely five years ago [Back to the Jungle, Guitar Edge Magazine, March 2007]
As far as reunions go? Who knows what's gonna happen with G&R, I guess that's what makes it still interesting. Even when the band was at it's peak, we never knew what the future held, so why would we now? [Ronny North's Chatting with the Pros, Guitar Jam Daily, October 2007]
They could be having meetings about it right now. They could be in a bomb shelter, with Axl and Slash and Duff. And Izzy! Maybe Steven Adler - I don't know. I'd probably be the very, very, very last guy to get the call [musicradar.com, June 2008]
[...] I would like those kids to see a decent version of Guns. If it was the original line-up it would be great. But I won't do it if it's going to be Axl and his merry men going on stage three hours late. Straighten that one out then call me. No cancelled dates. No sitting in one airport in one city when you're supposed to be on-stage in another[The Truth About His Past, Present and Future, Mojo, June 2008]
No. [...] A lot more reasons than I'll get into here now. Different reasons for each version and each individual. The Izzy bit was fun -- and also fun because we didn't have to rely on him in any way, which is how he prefers things and works better for everyone. That said, you never knew if Izzy would be there or not or if he'd remember the song or decide to leave early. It didn't cause any problems, because we were doing our show regardless and didn't have to depend on anything, but it did open everyone's eyes a bit and blow minds. he called, asked to come out and negotiated a deal with management that it's probably best that none of us knew about or the fun would've seemed a bit more like being used or taken advantage of spoiling the moment. As it was, we had a great time. It'd be highly doubtful for us to have more than one of the alumni up with us at any given time. I suppose Duff could play guitar on something somewhere, but there's zero possibility of me having anything to do with Slash other than by ambush, and that wouldn't be pretty. He wrote that whole bit about not having his guitar in Vegas, I'd assume, to save face. I was told by both the Hard Rock and different Guns industry people who had come out to be supportive of the new band and were a bit surprised to see him there, especially guitar in hand, but just assumed it was a surprise for the show and we were in on the arrangement. Steven [Adler] brings assorted ambulance-chasing attorneys and the nightmare of his mother. One gig, or even a couple songs, could mean years of behind-the-scenes legal aftermath [Del James interview with Axl, February 2009]
About reuniting with Axl or with Scott Weiland: Axl, if I could only choose between the two [The Inquisition: Tough Questions for Duff McKagan, April 2009]
I used to be very sort of negative about it 'cause I just don't see it happening, but at the same time you just never know. No efforts have been made to try and do anything about it so I guess you just leave it to chance. Maybe it will; maybe it won't [CNN, August 2010]
[...] When am I supposed to sit around crying about people that hope for a reunion? How’s Tuesday at 3pm? I think I might have 10 minutes free [Mushi's Blog, July 2010]
I think the amount of denial out there about the reality of Guns N’ Roses is overwhelming. I think even if you could get past the personal differences it would never happen. Four guys want to play and one guy won’t even show up and that’s the way it’s still going. Apart from the music, there is still the personal stuff too though so I just don’t think it will happen [NZCity, September 2010]
As long as we're alive, it's possible. I really think if those four goofballs — especially Axl — read my book, maybe they'll realize what a special thing we have as five guys. It's the hardest thing in the world to get four or five guys in the room that can make magic. Yeah, there's millions of great musicians, but you need that special ingredient of five different souls that all want the same thing and have the same goal and are focused on the same dream. I know for a fact that if the five of us assholes got in a room together, all we would do is hug each other and there would be tears. I'm the one who just took that ingredient away — I ruined it not just for the band, but for all the fans [reviewfix.com, September 2010]
I would really like that. I would love to work with those guys — all of them — but I’m not going to wait. I’ve wasted enough of my life, the past 20 years with the drugs and all. It’s time to do the right thing — which is get the band together and do a reunion. We owe it to the fans and everybody who supported GNR for so long... and I got Adler’s Appetite, but when those suckers want to do something, I’m ready. (...) I put prayers in with Jesus and God all the time. ‘Please just go talk to Axl,’ I say. I love the stuff we did together in my heart and my soul. It needs to be taken out of the shell and put back in the world. Two generations of people have already missed it. I think it’s unfair. I love those five guys — they mean more to me than anyone except my grandmother and my dogs. But there was so much fighting all the time, but like my grandpa said, time heals all wounds. My wounds are healed [Daltonnow.com, October 2010]
I have nothing to say about it. It's not... I don't know. It's not anything that I worked or planned for. I work and plan for my kids next year in school, or my business, or indeed LOADED. But that kind of thing, it's not something I sit there and go, 'OK, one day this is gonna happen.' Last thing happened [playing with GN'R in London in October 2010], and it was very serendipitous, and the blood was in the water, no doubt [The BJ Shea Morning Experience show on the Seattle radio station KISW 99.9 FM; October, 2010]
It was cool. I got an email from Duff going, 'I'm checked into a hotel and Axl is in the room next to me.'... He just sort of kept me posted through the day... So it was cool. And then the next day he told me it was great, everything was very cool, they went out and had dinner, and so they had that sort of, whatever, rekindling kind of thing...[...] I know that they still ended up going on an hour late. And I was, like, 'Oooh.' That's the only part that would have left a bad taste in my mouth, supporting that.... [A reunion would] be cool. But we'd have to do things way differently than we did in '91, '92, '93 and whatever... And I don't think that's changeable. That whole production would have to tighten up and be like a real working band, and I don't think that's salvageable [New York's Q104.3, November 2010]
About rumours of Slash joining the band: That's completely false. I know Axl really, really well, and he basically said that would be a cold day in hell [before they work together] [Triple M, December 2010]
I always say, as long as the five of us are alive, it could happen, but now I'm gonna turn that around and say, as long as God is alive, I think it will happen. And the most important thing is GN'R owes it to the fans to do a reunion tour [Matt Kissane Show, June 2011]
I only figured this out a year ago. 'When are you guys gonna get back together?' Well, none of us guys have said we're going to. I wonder if some people - not all - if some think if we got back together, they'd get their teenage years back? Are they asking us to get back together so they can get their youth back, even for a minute? [Behind Use Your Illusion, Classic Rock Magazine, June 2011]
it's a great idea & while everybody's alive & can still play. yes, they should & i would if they asked [AFD, August 2011]
I mean I personally would do it for nothing! I’m not going to, but I would, for nothing. For two reasons: 1) we owe it to the fans. 2) I just want to finish what I started with those guys. I cut myself short. For 20 years I was saying to myself that they cut me short, but once I started workin’ with Dr. Drew and took responsibility for my life and my actions, I realized I threw that away. So I just want to finish what I started with them [straight.com, August 2011]
We have an opportunity that everybody in the world wishes they could have. Whatever U2 did on their tour recently, if we did a GN’R reunion, we would double that! And we owe it to the fans! We haven’t performed with each other in 20 fuckin’ years, and the fans still have our backs [straight.com, August 2011]
When being asked what he'd do if Axl won't go on stage: I’d punch him in the face! Oh God—not the face, not the face! I’d punch him in the kidney! Or I would give him a severe reprimand. Or I would go out there and pick somebody out of the audience to sing for him. There’s many options. I just want to do it! [straight.com, August 2011]
I've always said if it's really a real reunion where Slash is involved, then I would do it, but I probably feel the same that you guys feel. I think most people wanna see the original five — with Izzy and Steven — and I agree; that was a great band. But if they want other people — myself and Matt, then I would do it. But I would only do it if Slash was involved [Rockmässan, October 2011]
Of course there's a chance. I don't know how real that chance is. It's not something I ever write about or talk at home about or with any of those principal people about, ever [Brandon Press, October 2011]
At this point, I would say no, it won't happen. But that's just my opinion, based on what I know [StarTribune, November 2011]
My honest opinion is that I don’t ever foresee that happening, to be honest just from what I know. But I would be the first person in line to buy a ticket, that’s for sure. So I have no problem with it whatsoever [Banana 101.5 Rocks, November 11, 2011]
Being asked about the probability of a Replacements reunion: About as likely as a fuckin’ Guns reunion [Chicago Sun Times, November 14, 2011]
About reuniting for Rock & Roll Hall of Fame: You never know. Usually the way it works with Guns N' Roses is that it's gotta be about Slash and Axl first, which has been a little bit of a problem. Duff played with Axl and actually Duff (and his band Loaded) was gonna go out on tour with Axl. I haven't seen Axl for about six years [hennemusic, December 5, 2011]
All these managers, they all believe in one thing: sell a reunion tour and get their commission. It's just a phone call. It's a half a day's … work, or however long they want to keep the bidding war going. They get their commission and they don't care if it falls on its face [Los Angeles Times, December 21, 2011]
Not in this life time [Comment to TMZ paparazzi, April, 2012]
Could I see it? I don’t know if I could see it, but it would be fun. That’s probably the first time I said that. The question you just asked me, you kind of asked it differently, which I appreciate. I’m not taking life as seriously. It’s funny how seriously some of these people take this. It’s a serious thing because of all the business it would generate, but take all that away. Take all the business away and just pretend that five guys would get in a room and rock. That would be fun as [expletive]. Are you kidding me? [Youngstown News, April 2012]
In regard to a reunion of any kind of either the Appetite or Illusion lineups, I've publicly made myself more than clear. Nothing's changed. The only reason, at this point, under the circumstances, in my opinion whether under the guise of "for the fans" or whatever justification of the moment, for anyone to continue to ask, suggest or demand a reunion are misguided attempts to distract from our efforts with our current lineup of myself, Dizzy Reed, Tommy Stinson, Frank Ferrer, Richard Fortus, Chris Pitman, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal and DJ Ashba. Izzy came out with us a few times back in '06 and I invited him to join us at our LA Forum show last year. Steven was at our show at the Hard Rock, later in '06 in Las Vegas, where I invited him to our after-party and was rewarded with his subsequent interviews filled with reunion lies. Lesson learned. Duff joined us in 2010 and again in '11 along with his band, Loaded, opening in Seattle and Vancouver. For me, with the exception of Izzy or Duff joining us on stage if they were so inclined somewhere in the future for a song or two, that's enough [HOF Press Release, April 2012]
I've been entertaining the idea for other people for years, but it's never been my inclination to get back together. Given the opportunity for us all to show up in one place, that was the only reasonable platform for us to do it, and it didn't happen. [...] I'm really sick to death of even entertaining the concept. [...] I think you've got a situation where nobody involved wants to revisit. It's not just me - it's the whole band. And so I don't think there's a price tag that anybody's put in front of us that's going to make that work [The Daily Beast, May 2012]
Not in this life time [Private recording shared on youtube, 2013]
I have a lot less distractions – a lot less, at least, unnecessary distractions – in the situation that I’m in now. What I intended to do from the get go was never really that complicated. But success and money and all that kind of stuff, it just makes life complicated [Ottawa Citizen, 2014]
It's a subject I just avoid. 'Cause I've tried all different approaches on this particular subject. The thing is it's been dead in the water since 1996. I'm not gonna joke about it. Anything I ever said that led anybody to believe that there might be any kind of a reunion was just me being nice. No one's ever considered it. It's not really in the cards. And the thing with the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame was that was the closest we got to it, or could have gotten to it, and it didn't happen. And I said, 'You know what?! Let's just close the books. That was a very public event, and hopefully everybody gets it [WAAF Radio, August 2014]

Last edited by Soulmonster on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:44 pm; edited 36 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76906

Back to top Go down

The Great And Only Reunion Thread Empty Re: The Great And Only Reunion Thread

Post by Soulmonster Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:03 am

This is becoming quite comprehensive now, but any additional quotes would be much appreciated.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun May 01, 2011 3:51 pm

I might as well try to get this discussion going.

Personally I don't want any reunion...yes, I belong to those that see many different potential reunions, not just The Reunion that the rabid fans of the "original" or "real" GN'R" are obsessed with. I would probably prefer a reunion with Buckethead and/or Izzy as a writing partner, rather than a reunion with Slash. I am a huge fan of GN'R from the Appetite and UYI days and what Slash brought to the table, to me that is the ultimate GN'R, but a reunion wouldn't bring that back, in worst case it would just ruin the myth of that incarnation especially if they did it just for the money. No, then I would very much prefer a reunion with Buckethead and/or Izzy to get some new, great music. But preferably no reunion at all, the current band has all the skills needed to create new music, and that is what I want most of all. Some would perhaps say that it is easy for me to not want a reunion of the AFD band since I lived through that period, but what I believe they miss is that a reunion of those particular members would not lead to Appetite II or the same concerts, because AFD and the concerts were a result of the chaotic lives and interaction of some young men that do not exist today. It wouldn't be the same. Chances are it would be much less and just tarnish the memories we have. No, stop living in the past, enjoy the Youtube vids and your records but hope for new music from musicians that would enjoy creating it together.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:58 pm

Here's my 'Fleetwood Mac - Guns N' Roses analogy':

I am a huge fan of both bands and there are some similarities. Fleetwood Mac started out with a completely different lineup back in the 60's than what they have today. Not only that, their music changed drastically as they went though the decades. Only two members of the original bands remain today, McVie and Fleetwood, the founding members, with Guns N' Roses only one founding member still remains, Axl Rose. The difference is that while Fleetwood Mac experienced their greatest success after changing their lineup and sound (with the release of epic 'Rumours'), this has not happened to Guns N' Roses...yet. But just as we shouldn't criticise McVie and Fleetwood for struggling on and carrying the torch we shouldn't criticise Axl either. When everyone else left he is still trying to make GN'R evolve and be relevant.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:57 am

Adding quotes regularly now, but it would be cool to have older quotes.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by DanyYo Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:00 pm

My opinion on reuinion: I started listening to GN'R in the old line up (the one with Sorrum). For one reason or other I missed the Buckethead and Finck period. And though I think Bucket is a great musician and I also warmed up to and accepted the new line up (with some notable exceptions) I'd be very happy if they reunited in the original line up- Duff presence on stage next to Axl felt natural - but it's unrealistic and I don't think it's ever going to happen.
DanyYo
DanyYo

Plectra : 6373

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:07 pm

New Axl quote from today.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed May 30, 2012 10:03 am

Prettied up the quotes and added a new recent one from Slash. I guess there will be less quotes from the AFD/UYI lineup now after HOF, but perhaps more from Brain/Bucket/Robin Why Thank You
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:13 am

With the latest quote from Slash I hope people will stop dreaming about a reunion.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:28 am

ABBA, Oasis and Guns N' Roses are bands fans most want to reunite

Sep 03, 2014 21:02
By John Jeffay

Survey of 1,000 people found that just over a quarter of Brits wanted the Swedish super group to return to the dance floor, beating the likes of Guns N’ Roses and Oasis

The Swedish icons of 70s and 80s pop took 28% of a poll, with second place going to Guns N’ Roses. Oasis were third. A survey of 1,000 people was carried out by Samsung after Kate Bush’s long- awaited return to the stage.

The top 5 is:

The survey of 1,000 people found that just over a quarter (28%) of Brits wanted the Swedish super group to return to the dance floor, beating the likes of popular 90s bands, Guns N’ Roses (11%) and Oasis (10%).

When it came to previous comeback artists that people most regretted not going to see during their return performances, one in 10 people wished they had not missed the Rolling Stones followed by Kate Bush and Take That.

Whilst the nation had to wait 35 years to see the talents of Kate Bush back on stage , the singer’s comeback this week has also resulted in an increase in music streams on Deezer.

The Samsung partner recorded an increase of 120% in the number of streams of her biggest hits the day after Kate Bush’s comeback was first announced in March, whilst there was a 701% increase the Saturday prior to her first comeback gig last Tuesday when compared with her stream count from the same time last month.

Of the performers no longer with us, the flamboyant front man of Queen, Freddy Mercury (22%) was the act people most wished they had been able to see perform live in concert beating the hip swinging, Elvis Presley (14%) and ‘Smooth Criminal,’ Michael Jackson (12%).

Samsung’s Robert King said: “It’s great to see that music from previous decades still remains popular across all generations today.”
Source: http://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/celebrity-news/abba-oasis-guns-n-roses-4160190
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down