APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Should Axl really have become Manager/Owner/Boss of Guns -N-Roses?

5 posters

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Should Axl really have become Manager/Owner/Boss of Guns -N-Roses?  Empty Re: Should Axl really have become Manager/Owner/Boss of Guns -N-Roses?

Post by Soulmonster Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:41 pm

Why? How do you think that would be better, Karice?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76582

Back to top Go down

Should Axl really have become Manager/Owner/Boss of Guns -N-Roses?  Empty Re: Should Axl really have become Manager/Owner/Boss of Guns -N-Roses?

Post by ludurigan Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:49 pm

the funny fact is that at the exact moment that axl becomes the owner of the band, that's exactly when the band itself stops existing, isn't it? it actually ended earlier than that, but that was the last straw, anything that came after that was a parody, an imitation, an aberration etc
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5452

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:31 am

Again, why would it have been better if Axl had relinquished power? What would have been different today? Axl would have quit the band before giving away control. So there wouldn't have been a GN'R anymore, or it would have been a GN'R with a different vocalist. The alternative where Axl would have accepted continuing as the singer of GN'R without the power, is fantasy. It is not realistic. It wouldn't have happened.

We can always speculate on how great it would have been if Axl had continued without power and someone else had called the shots resulting in a more functional and productive band, but it isn't a scenario that could have happened.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:42 pm

One thing is crystal-clear: in the mid to late 90s it was Axl who wanted to move GN'R into the next century. "Chinese Democracy" was his project; even though he wanted to involve all of the band members in the creative process, it's obvious that HE was the main motivator behind the whole thing. It was Axl who presented the artwork he chose for the album cover to an audience (years before release).

From what I've gathered, the band employed several managers (Merck Mercuriadis is a name which stuck, he was there around 2006/7 and was helping along the touring and last few recordings for the album).

For a short time, Azoff was the manager, at least it seemed to me that it was him who paved the way for the album to finally see the light of day (by way of a Best Buy deal).

Of course with Axl being the only "original" member (at the time) it was pretty clear that he was "boss" - who else should've done it?

Being lead singer, album coordinator and basically "boss", of course it was Axl who "hired and fired" managers (and other "employees").
Someone has to take these decisions, who else should've done it?

Needless to say, Axl was not alone. The persons who are known as "Team Brazil" nowadays, were already around, Beta was his "personal manager" basically.
Del James (his old mate) was there as some sort of "tour manager".

That's not to say that everything was "great". Mistakes were made & some "strange" decisions (to say the least). The communication between band and record company wasn't working well.
I don't believe David Geffen would've been the man to manage the band. He was busy enough looking after his label and his main interest (of course) would've been the album - but not the band and their well-being.

I believe Axl was stubborn about the vision he had for GN'R, but along the road there were obstacles (legal and personal problems perhaps), so the band changed and over time even Axl changed. (Does anyone remember the surprise when he really tried to behave and be on time?)
Uli
Uli

Plectra : 9462

Guns N'Roses Fan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:51 pm

Because, as I tried to explain already, at that point in time, Axl (sorta) "owned" the name GN'R and he was bound to deliver an album (contract with Geffen). Leaving "GN'R" behind and trying to release an "AXL" album, would inevitably have lead to problems with the record company and their contract, eh?

Also, it's not like Axl "fired" Slash n' Duff, they left and I had the impression Axl wasn't too pleased about this (at first). In short, he had to keep the GN'R name and try to keep it going...
Uli
Uli

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:30 pm

Well, that is just "wishful thinking". I would imagine IF Axl wanted to do a "solo album" (under whichever name he chooses) we would already hold it in our hands?

As I said, in my humble opinion, Axl was under a lot of pressure to continue with GN'R and the record company wanted to put out another GN'R album (or several).
So what he did do? Exactly: he became a bit of a recluse and "disappeared" for a while.

Allegedly the 2002 tour came about because of some pressure (to make money) and it ended in a bit of a disaster.
Word has it that the record company stopped putting money into the making of the album around 2004. (No wonder, seeing how much money was spent re-recording drum parts...)

Touring in 2006/7 went a lot better and some more recordings were done.
Seeing the "chaos" regarding the album and its making (read the credits about who did what on which song and how many producers were on board - great fun!) I can't see Axl finding the time to record and promote a solo album...

After the album release in 2008, GN'R toured relentlessly around the globe until 2014. People like Dj Ashba said that Axl had lots of (new) music in him, but not much was released (so far).
With the old members Slash n' Duff returning to the band, not much happened in regards to new songs (what we got so far is older stuff, just previously unreleased and "worked on" by the current band line-up).
Still, my impression is that Axl is currently focussed on GN'R and not much else.

Maybe one day Axl will release a solo album. I seem to remember he said in an interview that if he did, it might be more "instrumental" music instead of his voice! Could be interesting!

But, in general, Axl seems "reluctant" when it comes to releasing new stuff. (Just look at how much music came out since 1994.)
Uli
Uli

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:08 am

Guns N'Roses Fan wrote:I wonder if Axl shouldn't have just left Guns -N-Roses and formed a new Music Venture with just three letters called AXL . 🤣That's what Guns-N-Roses basically ended up being  at least one point anyways. Why not just go all the way with AXL? 🤔

I believe he felt obligated to continue with GN'R because he didn't feel the band had come to its natural conclusion yet. He more or less said as much in interviews. Of course he could have started a side project, whether that was a solo thing or another band, but that would be detrimental to him focusing on GN'R and GN'R was his main priority.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:11 pm

Guns N'Roses Fan wrote:Hmm. Maybe he could have surprised us and released a Solo Album under the name AXEL (not AXL)

No, please, NO! There are enough idiots out there already who wrote Axel instead of Axl. Doh!
Uli
Uli

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:43 pm

Karice wrote:
Axl should have just named himself Axel in the first place

No, he shouldn't have. Axl is different from most other Axels and most other people too, thus a unique name is THE thing for him! Cool

Also, changing it to Axel right now would mean "giving in" to those morons who can't spell it, I can't see Axl doing that!
Uli
Uli

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:07 am

Users been banned? Has someone been talking to herself here? Suspect
Uli
Uli

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:34 am

Uli wrote:Users been banned? Has someone been talking to herself here? Suspect

I had reasons to make that assumption.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:35 pm

Thanks for info; I had the same impression (not at first, but judging from the last few posts of "both" profiles).
Uli
Uli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down