APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2007.10.11 - Regina Leader-Post - Slash Shreds Rumours

Go down

2007.10.11 - Regina Leader-Post - Slash Shreds Rumours Empty 2007.10.11 - Regina Leader-Post - Slash Shreds Rumours

Post by Blackstar Thu 15 Apr 2021 - 22:54

Slash shreds rumours

With multiple visits to rehab, drug overdoses in their families and persistent rumours of imminent implosion, the members of Velvet Revolver are becoming better known for their drama than their music. But then anything less out of a rock super group would be disappointing.

Composed of former Guns N' Roses members Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum, ex-Stone Temple Pilots frontman Scott Weiland, and Wasted Youth's Dave Kushner, the group found critics who doomed them before debut album Contraband was even released.

Now that follow-up effort Libertad is out, Velvet Revolver continues to be dogged by rumours that once contractual obligations are honoured, the end is nigh.

Slash says otherwise.

"No, see, that's the kind of shit we were dealing with when the band first started," the legendary axeman says irritably from an Atlanta hotel room. "That's the same kind of naysayer prediction that we get from other people, but nobody on this side of the fence has ever said anything like that. At this point, I've got my guitar with me and I'm recording ideas for songs that could be prospects for the next record."

He brightens when discussing the tour with Alice in Chains and Sparta, saying that it "transcends" anything the band has done before.

"It's a real rock 'n roll package that's very genuine and something like you don't see very much anymore," he says. "It's the kind of gig I would have loved to see back when I was going to concerts every weekend. Everybody comes away from it going 'wow' because it's just not what goes on these days."

Yet, even with the band's promise of new songs from Libertad mixed with '90s favourites from the GN'R and Pilots catalogues, ticket sales are not meeting expectations.

"In some places ticket sales are awesome, but by and large there's been cities where it's just hard to f---ing sell tickets, but the tour's awesome. It's just a killer gig."

Given their tenuous collective sobriety, the making and touring of Libertad has been no small feat. Slash says the experience was like going into a meat grinder and coming out unscathed and intact. Libertad, Spanish for liberty, refers to the band's freedom to play and record the way they wanted.

"It hasn't really been what you'd call a simple, easygoing time for this band -- we've had a lot of obstacles; there was something vindicating about being in the studio and recording this material and putting the record out."

Even frequent visits to rehab weren't insurmountable, and led to an improved connection between the musicians.

"I don't want to sound corny but it probably brings us closer together in a way. We know each other very well and have been through a lot of stuff together at this point; it makes for a more cohesive bond between all the guys," says Slash.

He checked himself into rehab, and describes the experience in ways one might refer to a trip to the spa.

Onstage, Slash says his "game" hasn't changed, only improved, since his GN'R days. Even with decades of touring and recording under his belt, he still thinks of himself as a student.

"I'm more focused and passionate about it now than I ever have been," he says.

"Guitar is just one of those things that is a constant growing experience, something you never master completely and it never gets boring. I'm more into it now than when I was 15."

Even as something of a legend, Slash doesn't rank his drawing power above his bandmates, and hasn't become too precious to wail.

"The only thing I can do is to go out and try to play my ass off."
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87962

Back to top Go down