APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2007.12.05 - Switched - Slash Talks Guitar Hero III, 'Slash' (the Book), and Gadget Gifts

Go down

2007.12.05 - Switched - Slash Talks Guitar Hero III, 'Slash' (the Book), and Gadget Gifts Empty 2007.12.05 - Switched - Slash Talks Guitar Hero III, 'Slash' (the Book), and Gadget Gifts

Post by Blackstar Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:57 pm

Slash Talks Guitar Hero III, 'Slash' (the Book), and Gadget Gifts

by Terrence O'Brien

Slash Talks 'Guitar Hero' and Technophobia

Slash is a busy guy. In fact, we're not sure he's had any down time since recording what may be the greatest debut album in the history of Rock 'n' Roll, the Guns n' Roses classic 'Appetite for Destruction.' After the disintegration of the band and the hijacking of the name by a corn-rowed Axl Rose and a band of impostors ( whose next album 'Chinese Democracy' should be out some time before Armageddon), Slash went on to form Slash's Snake Pit and play guitar on tracks for dozens of artists from Michael Jackson to Insane Clown Posse. And he just keeps adding to his repertoire. In addition to being the lead guitarist for Velvet Revolver, the top-hat-wearing axe slinger just co-authored a book (with Anthony Bozza) entitled 'Slash' and appeared as a boss character in 'Guitar Hero III.' The rock legend was kind enough to sit and talk with us a bit about the book, Guitar Hero, and of course whether he prefers PC or Mac.

Switched: So what made you decide to write a book now?

Slash: I put the book out to sort of set the record straight on a lot of the story having to do with why I quit Guns 'n' Roses, and the band reuniting, and a lot of other subjects having to do with that band. Basically that's what influenced my decision to write a book. Prior to that I had no interest in writing a book, even though people keep asking me. But after seeing all the attention that Guns 'n' Roses has garnered of late, all the misinformation that's available to people, and all of the other, you know, falsehoods that are going on about a lot of different things, I just figured probably the only way I'd be able to do myself and the story any justice is to write it myself.

So it was less a thing of nostalgia and more, almost cathartic?

Well, you know, cathartic in a way. I don't know how cathartic it was really, for myself, personally, but I think it'll put some people's minds at rest, especially people who are huge Guns 'n' Roses fans or who are fascinated by the phenomena that is Guns 'n' Roses.

It's coming out just on the heels of the release of 'Guitar Hero III,' which you star in. Is the timing accidental?

(Laughs) It's all accidental. I was working on the Velvet Revolver 'Libertad' record, when both these things... well, I started writing the book during the making of the record, and actually did the Guitar Hero thing a little bit prior to that. But they were all sort of done at the same time and they're all coming out at the same time.

So how did you get involved with 'Guitar Hero III?'

Activision [the game's publisher] came up with the idea to have somebody in the rock world represent the game and they chose me to be their rock legend guy, which I thought was really flattering. And I was really overwhelmed and excited about the prospect of doing it because I'm a huge fan of the game. So I met with them and we shot some ideas back and forth and we rolled with it and it came out great. I got to write some music for it, I put some guitar solos on it, and I got a caricature of myself in the game. It's way left-field for what I normally do, but at the same time it's very relevant, and I'm really honored to be on the box, so to speak.

That sort of answers our next question, which is how much involvement was there really in making the game? It sounds as though it was more than just "walk in to the studio, get some pictures taken for the model, and go home."

No, there were plenty of hours spent outside my comfort zone to get this done properly. But, you know, it was an experience and it was fun as well.

Obviously, you've played the game, you said you enjoyed it. Did you find it tough to transition from playing the real guitar to playing Guitar Hero?

I'm not very good at it. I played it a little while ago this afternoon. And I played 'Guitar Hero 2' and I had a lot of time to sit with it and learn how to do it and I got pretty good at it until I beat the game. But I didn't beat it on expert -- I beat it on hard. And that took a lot of work. I think there's something innately awkward about being a guitar player trying to playing 'Guitar Hero.' I think you play it by ear more than you do so by sight, which is the way that normal people play it. There really is that correlation between your fingers and what you're looking at on screen, and I think for guitar players the way that you relate to it is really by ear and feel, which somehow doesn't make your fingers land at the right place at the right time.

So what are you planning on getting the wife and kids for the holidays, gadget- or tech-wise this year?

I've been so busy, and everybody on my side of the fence has been so busy, what with touring and all the other stuff that's going on right now. We haven't really gotten into Christmas. We just escaped Halloween with me traveling all over the place and what not. So we haven't really focused on Christmas yet.

Don't even bring that up, you're scaring the shit out of me.

(Laughs)

Is there any gadget that's got you excited that you really want to get your hands on?

I'm not a huge gadget guy. I just got a new BlackBerry, you know, and I'm happy with that. And I just got a new Xbox 360 not too long ago and we were looking at some new games the other day just to see what's out there. I got my new 'Guitar Hero' finally... I can't think of anything off the top of my head, outside of some recording gear that I'm really looking out for getting.

Does the aversion to technology and gadgets extend to the music? Are you a Pro Tools guy?

NO, no, I'm really simple, and I don't... I'm one of those people that if it's something you don't need, I can pretty much stay away from it. But as far as just toying around with technology for toying around's sake, I'm not like that. I'm basically all about the simplest approach possible. The fewer manuals I have to read, the better and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. So I use a lot of pretty much old gear and what not. The only thing I do need for recording is something simple that's efficient, sounds good, can be taken on the road -- that's what I'm starting to shop for at this point. And something small that I can carry.

Is there anything that you carry with you, on tour or every day, like a BlackBerry or an iPod, that's just attached to you 24/7?

Well the BlackBerry, as much as I hate to admit it, is an appendage for sure. And as far as the iPod goes... you know...I have an iPod and its got 1000 some-odd, if not more, songs on it. But I find that I like to just have, like, a handful of good CDs and use those. I haven't really graduated to the iPod school of thinking (laughs). I think it's too much of a song selection for me to figure out what I want to listen to.

We often find that's true. You spend 15 minutes trying to decide what to listen to, and only five actually listening to anything.

Exactly... that's my take on that.

One last simple question. Mac or PC?

Um.. I have both.

I feel comfortable with both, I carry my Mac around and have a PC at home.

OK, so Mac Book? Mac Pro?

Mac Pro.... Oh wait, wait, wait. No, you know what, I take that back. It's a Mac Book. I almost got a Mac Pro, but I knew I wasn't gonna use it to its full potential. So...

https://web.archive.org/web/20080724042233/http://www.switched.com/2007/12/05/slash-talks-guitar-hero-iii-slash-the-book-and-gadget-gift/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87081

Back to top Go down