APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1997.11.21 - The Central New Jersey Home News - After the Roses (Gilby)

Go down

1997.11.21 - The Central New Jersey Home News - After the Roses (Gilby) Empty 1997.11.21 - The Central New Jersey Home News - After the Roses (Gilby)

Post by Blackstar Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:28 pm

1997.11.21 - The Central New Jersey Home News - After the Roses (Gilby) 1997_114

Transcript:
-----------------

After the Roses

Gilby Clarke just wants to rock n 'roll all night

By MICHELE AMABILE
On the Go Correspondent

Ask Gilby Clarke about the future of his former band, Guns 'N' Roses, and he is just about as clueless as the rest of us.

Clarke has been out of the band since the early ’90s and has since released two solo efforts, ’95’s Pawnshop Guitars and his new record, ‘‘The Hangover.”

Although he can’t predict the future, Clarke is in a good position to hear about it first. Guns 'N' Roses’ guitarist Slash is still one of his best friends.

“I see and talk to Slash and (drummer) Matt (Sorum) all the time,” Clarke said. “I never talk to Axel [sic] (Rose).”

Sorum and bassist Duff McKagan left the band six months ago and, as of this writing, Slash is also out of the band. Which means all that remains of Guns ’N’ Roses is — Axel Rose.

Slash has contended that he will play with Guns ‘N’ Roses when they “decide to become a rock band again.”

Recent claims in the press show Rose wants to work with techno-producer Moby.“I think with all of us, we all enjoy playing in the band when it’s a hard rock band,” Clarke said. "Axel wants to go in a more modem direction.”

If there is one thing Clarke has achieved on his new record, it’s the hard-rock sounds he enjoys playing. Not only are there covers of Beatles’ “Happiness is a Warm Gun” and David Bowie’s “Hang On To Yourself,” “The Hangover” also gives a sly nod to the glam rock bands T. Rex and Gary Glitter.

“I grew up with that kind of music. Marc Bolan (T. Rex guitarist) is my favorite artist when I made this record. I wanted some of the songs to sound as cheesy as possible.”

To achieve this sound, Clarke enlisted the help of some heavy-hitters. There are guest appearances by Blondie drummer Clem Burke, Kiss's Eric Singer (who is also in Clarke’s touring band), guitarist Waddy Wachtel (who has worked with Keith Richards, Tom Waits and Melissa Etheridge), and Clarke’s former bandmates Kyle Vincent and Ryan Roxy. Roxy and Vincent previously played with Clarke in the '80s band Candy.

Candy had one record, “WhatEver Happened to Fun,” and the band is currently featured on Rhino “The Poptopia Compilation.” “Candy was the first band I was ever in. We only made one record, which I was never happy with. To be on the 'Poptopia thing is a good accomplishment. Working with old friends is something Clarke does well. For instance, Wachtel produced Clarke’s last record, “Pawnshop Guitars.” Wachtel's guitar is an important ingredient on Clarke s new single “It's Good Enough for Rock ’n’ Roll.”

“I wanted it to sound real Stonesy. And since Keith Richards isn’t available right now, I figured I would use next best thing."
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87860

Back to top Go down