APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

The Lost Articles

+2
Surge
Euchre
6 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

The Lost Articles - Page 7 Empty Re: The Lost Articles

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:43 pm

I was reading Faces Rocks from July/August 1988 (there's an interview with Slash there I will add to the database later) and came across a list of their back issues, seeing that February 1988 had a GN'R article, too. I checked for a copy of this issue on eBay and found it! But too expensive and no apparent shipping to Norway. Interestingly though, the seller had lots of images of the issue including the two pages on GN'R:

The Lost Articles - Page 7 Uten_222
The Lost Articles - Page 7 Uten_221
The Lost Articles - Page 7 Uten_220

I think the resolution is too low to figure out the text. But I will keep looking for a copy of the issue.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76582

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:45 pm

On second thoughts, I think it is possible to figure out the text!
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:28 pm

Soulmonster wrote:On second thoughts, I think it is possible to figure out the text!
Ha, I'm currently doing something similar.

I came across two issues of MTV To Go magazine (which was obviously an MTV publication) on ebay, that have additional quotes from these MTV interviews with Axl in 1989 (the interviews that were also used in the MTV Rockumentary of that year):

https://www.a-4-d.com/t503-1989-mm-dd-mtv-interview-with-axl

https://www.a-4-d.com/t3596-1989-07-dd-mtv-interview-clips-axl

I have almost typed out the first part (from the Dec. 1989 issue).

The Lost Articles - Page 7 1989_127

The text of the second part (Jan. 1990 issue) is hard to figure out because the image is too small, but I'm trying.

The Lost Articles - Page 7 1990_056
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87097

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:50 pm

I have found all the issues of Rolling Stone from 1967 to 2007 in pdf, and I'm looking in the issues after 1987 for articles that we don't have.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster, ludurigan and Gnr_groupie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:10 pm

Niven mentions a Music Connection edition from what he thought was December of 1986:

I never saw Jetboy back in the day and only knew of them by reputation and a sense of competition because there was Jetboy, Faster Pussycat, LA Guns, and Guns N' Roses - there was a pack of bands coming through LA at the time and from my point of view of responsibility I had to get my band ahead of the pack. And I felt that very keenly December of '86, I think it was, when a local Los Angeles music publication called Music Connection put four bands on the cover that they thought might have a chance of getting somewhere in the following year and one of them was Guns N' Roses. And of course from my point of view, especially back in those days when I maybe had a little more piss and vinegar running in my veins, I looked at that and went, "What are the other three fuckers doing there?" But the pragmatic response was, "Here's a sign from the Universe, sucker, and you'd better pay attention. You see your band is special and better than the rest but other people don't yet." So that just went to informing more intently a sense of urgency and a sense of imagination of, "Okay, how do I get ahead of the pack? What's my strategy? How do I can get them lifted above what we can see is a wave of bands coming through? How do I make sure that mine are properly recognized as being better than the rest?"

We don't have a Music Connection article from that date, and I can't find it on surrounding dates, either. So either Niven misremembers, and it wasn't Music Connection, or this is an article we are missing in our connection.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:19 pm

Soulmonster wrote:Niven mentions a Music Connection edition from what he thought was December of 1986:

I never saw Jetboy back in the day and only knew of them by reputation and a sense of competition because there was Jetboy, Faster Pussycat, LA Guns, and Guns N' Roses - there was a pack of bands coming through LA at the time and from my point of view of responsibility I had to get my band ahead of the pack. And I felt that very keenly December of '86, I think it was, when a local Los Angeles music publication called Music Connection put four bands on the cover that they thought might have a chance of getting somewhere in the following year and one of them was Guns N' Roses. And of course from my point of view, especially back in those days when I maybe had a little more piss and vinegar running in my veins, I looked at that and went, "What are the other three fuckers doing there?" But the pragmatic response was, "Here's a sign from the Universe, sucker, and you'd better pay attention. You see your band is special and better than the rest but other people don't yet." So that just went to informing more intently a sense of urgency and a sense of imagination of, "Okay, how do I get ahead of the pack? What's my strategy? How do I can get them lifted above what we can see is a wave of bands coming through? How do I make sure that mine are properly recognized as being better than the rest?"

We don't have a Music Connection article from that date, and I can't find it on surrounding dates, either. So either Niven misremembers, and it wasn't Music Connection, or this is an article we are missing in our connection.
There is a Music Connection issue with Axl on the cover from December 1987, so maybe that's the one Niven is referring to. I had added it in our lost articles lists (on the previous pages).

But it looks like you have bought that one, Soulmonster, but just haven't added it yet:
https://www.a-4-d.com/t3189p150-the-lost-articles#27359
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:27 pm

Blackstar wrote:
Soulmonster wrote:Niven mentions a Music Connection edition from what he thought was December of 1986:

There is a Music Connection issue with Axl on the cover from December 1987, so maybe that's the one Niven is referring to. I had added it in our lost articles lists (on the previous pages).

But it looks like you have bought that one, Soulmonster, but just haven't added it yet:
https://www.a-4-d.com/t3189p150-the-lost-articles#27359

I don't think that's the one since Niven specifically talks about those four bands being on the cover.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:45 pm

There are a few old issues of Music Connection here, but this issue seems to be missing:

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Music-Connection.htm
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:03 pm

Blackstar wrote:There are a few old issues of Music Connection here, but this issue seems to be missing:

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Music-Connection.htm

Hrmf. Bad luck.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down