APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1992.04.20 - Freddie Mercury Tribute, Wembley Stadium, London, England

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1992.04.20 - Freddie Mercury Tribute, Wembley Stadium, London, England

Post by Soulmonster on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:40 pm

Date:
April 20, 1992.

Venue:
Freddie Mercury Tribute, Wembley Stadium.

Setlist:
XX: Paradise City
XX: Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Gilby Clarke (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass), Dizzy Reed (keyboards) and Matt Sorum (drums).

Quotes from band members:
It was an honor just being asked to do it . . . sort of like being put on the map by people we had admired for years. But the experience was even much deeper than that.

Being the type of band that we are, the last thing we wanted to know about a few years ago was AIDS. Like most people, we thought it was only a problem for needle pushers and homosexuals, which meant we didn't have to worry about it. I was still as promiscuous as hell.

But then it started getting closer to home and everybody had to start being aware of the dangers . . . homosexuals, heterosexuals; people were even starting to get it from their dentists or whatever. That slowed my trip down a lot, but it didn't really hit home until Freddie died of AIDS because he was this huge icon in our minds.

To walk out on that stage in front of 75,000 or 80,000 people was a very emotional experience. It was like all of us in rock 'n' roll, the artists and the audience, were saying we did care and we are responsible for each other. It was a great sense of community that day and it touched something in me
[Los Angeles Times, August 1992]

Next concert: 1992.05.16.
Previous concert: 1992.04.09.
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 50431

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum