APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1989.10.22 - Los Angeles Coliseum, Los Angeles, USA

Go down

1989.10.22 - Los Angeles Coliseum, Los Angeles, USA Empty 1989.10.22 - Los Angeles Coliseum, Los Angeles, USA

Post by Soulmonster Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:21 pm

Date:
October 22, 1989.

Venue:
Los Angeles Coliseum.

Setlist:
01. It's So Easy
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Out Ta Get Me
04. Welcome to the Jungle
05. Move to the City
06. Patience
07. My Michelle
08. Rocket Queen
09. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
10. Paradise City

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

Notes:
The fourth and last show opening for the Rolling Stones.

Quotes:
The fourth show was fucking amazing-we were at our best [Slash's autobiography, p 279]
On the night of the last show, a unique thing happened. At the end of our set we put our arms around one another, and as a group we took a bow. We had never done that before. It felt kind of awkward but appropriate. In my mind, that show was the last real Guns N' Roses concert ever. Immediately following that bow we once again went our own separate ego-inflated ways [Steve's autobiography, "My Appetite for Destruction", 2010, p. 201]
1989.10.22 - Los Angeles Coliseum, Los Angeles, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1990.04.07.
1989.10.22 - Los Angeles Coliseum, Los Angeles, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1989.10.21.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76580

Back to top Go down

1989.10.22 - Los Angeles Coliseum, Los Angeles, USA Empty Re: 1989.10.22 - Los Angeles Coliseum, Los Angeles, USA

Post by Soulmonster Tue May 06, 2014 2:30 pm

A article that was posted at the end of 1989 (December 29) in Ocala Star-Banner:

1989.10.22 - Los Angeles Coliseum, Los Angeles, USA Utennavn-25
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

1989.10.22 - Los Angeles Coliseum, Los Angeles, USA Empty Re: 1989.10.22 - Los Angeles Coliseum, Los Angeles, USA

Post by Soulmonster Wed May 07, 2014 5:55 pm

Review in Los Angeles Times, October 24, 1989:

POP MUSIC REVIEW : The Rain Brings Quips and Another Solid Set by Stones
October 24, 1989|CHRIS WILLMAN

Gimme shelter, indeed.

Everybody was ready with rain quips as the Rolling Stones' four-night stand came to a soggy, soggy end Sunday night at the umbrella-filled Coliseum:

* "Why do you think they call it a wet suit ?" asked Living Colour lead singer Corey Glover, whose customary bright, skin-tight bodywear came in handy when the downpour started halfway through his band's opening set. (Surprise Colour highlight: A soaked, climactic, metallic "Johnny B. Goode" in honor of Chuck Berry's 63rd birthday.)

* "I wasn't planning on taking my shower till after the show," quipped Guns N' Roses' Axl Rose. (Surprise GNR highlight: Once the rain stopped, Rose celebrated by taking a mid-song jog around the Coliseum track.)

* "Watch out for the acid rain," jested Mick Jagger, weakly, though the storm--no respecter of audience persons, but deferential to true stardom, no doubt--had moved along well before the Stones started themselves up. (Surprise Stones highlight: None. This was their usual solid, 25-song, 2 1/2-hour set, on which neither rain nor spontaneity intruded.)

Those who waited until the fourth and final night to catch the triple bill--which really has seemed at times like a battle of the bands (Guns N' Roses vs. Living Colour) or a battle within the band (GNR, again)--missed out on any sense of controversy.

Rose was in a conciliatory, if still childishly foul-mouthed, mood. He apologized for stereotyping police as the enemy when introducing "Out of My Way" earlier in the week, praised the Coliseum security forces and bid adieu by casting his vote for the Stones as indeed "the world's greatest band."

The tour now heads to New York's Shea Stadium for shows Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. The tour is scheduled to return to the West Coast on Nov. 4 and 5 for concerts at the Oakland Coliseum stadium.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:23 pm

Interestingly, the band had considered covering The Wings' Live And Let Die for the gigs at the Coliseum:

They were not terrible. The thing is, as far as I'm concerned, I was disappointed because all they did was play the Appetite For Destruction songs pretty much and, you know, a couple from Lies, but there was talk that they were gonna Live And Let Die, which is a song you put your tape in and you learned, it takes 2 seconds to learn. It's not something you're writing. I was disappointed that they couldn't punch it out. I mean, they talked about it-

Being asked if Slash's drug problems were the reason they hadn't been able to prepare the song:

Well, it could have been Steven, it could have been.... I don't think it was Slash being too loaded and you couldn't learn that cause Slash even loaded could learn the song. It could have had something to do with Steven too. But the fact that they didn't play that song was enough to ruin the gig for me.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down