APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Think About You

Go down

Think About You Empty Think About You

Post by Soulmonster Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:40 pm

Think About You Newbor11
THINK ABOUT YOU
Album:
Appetite for Destruction, 1987, track no. 8.

Written by:
Lyrics: Izzy Stradlin.
Music: Izzy Stradlin.

Musicians:
Vocals: Axl Rose; lead guitar: Slash; rhythm guitar: Izzy Stradlin; bass: Duff McKagan; drums: Steven Adler.

Live performances:
One of the earliest Guns N' Roses songs. It might date back to Hollywood Rose, but more likely it was written by Izzy after he left Hollywood Rose (June 1984) and before the first Guns N' Roses show (March 26, 1985). Quite likely, it was debuted at one of the earliest Guns N' Roses shows, but unfortunately the setlists for these shows are missing. We know it was played on the first show with the classical lineup, on June 6, 1985. It was played heavily during 1985 and 1986 but only played twice in 1987 and not played in 1988 to 1993. It again found its way to the set-lists in 2001 and 2006, when Izzy joined the band again, but has not been played since 2006. In total it has, as of {UPDATEDATE}, at least been played {THINKABOUTYOUSONGS} times.
Lyrics:

Say baby you been lookin' real good
I remember when we met
Funny how I never felt so good
It's a feelin' that I know
I know I'll never forget

Ooh it was the best time I can remember
Ooh and the love we shared
Is lovin' that'll last forever

There wasn't much in this heart of mine
There was a little left and babe you found it
It's funny how I never felt so high
I know I'll never forget

I think about you
Honey all the time my heart says yes
I think about you
Deep inside I love you best
I think about you
You know you're the one I want
I think about you
Darlin' you're the only one
I think about you

Somethin' changed in this heart of mine
An' I'm so glad that ya showed me
Funny how I never felt so high
I know I'll never forget

I think about you
Honey all the time my heart says yes
I think about you
Deep inside I love you best
I think about you
You know you're the one I want
I think about you
Darlin' you're the only one
I think about you

Quotes regarding the song and its making:

Writing the song:

'Think About You' was cut and dry when I brought it in. Even if you write a song completely, when you bring it in it always ends up a little different when you record it.
Guitar For The Practising Musician, September 1988

Of the songs on the record, "Think About You" lzzy wrote before Guns N' Roses was even a nightmare.
Guitar For The Practising Musician, September 1988

[...] Izzy wrote the words to a song called Think About You [...].

Izzy wrote that one. There's a few parts of the lyrics that I put in there, and maybe gave it a little more flow, and worded it my way since I was the one singing it. Izzy does a lot of lyric writing. (...) I think it's kinda one of the ones that's a bit hidden. That's also with the way it was recorded. It's also very Hanoi Rocks-influenced, and the production on "Think About You" and the way it's done, is kinda like a tribute to all those old Hanoi Rocks records. It's something that Izzy was really into, and then he got me into it. It's kinda like a Hanoi Rocks song the way we looked at that.
Rock Scene, June 1988

It's a fast lovesong about drugs, sex, Hollywood and money.
Hit Parader, March 1988

Izzy wrote nine-tenths [of the lyrics] of 'Mr. Brownstone' and nine-tenths of 'Think About You.' I changed a couple of words here and there that fit better.
Screamer, August 1988

Izzy and Axl already had some songs [when I entered the band], and the other guys knew them: "Think About You," "Anything Goes," "Move To The City," "Shadow of Your Love," and "Don't Cry." And we did sped-up punk versions of the Stones' "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and Elvis Presley's "Heartbreak Hotel".
Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 59

[Nicky Beat] had a rehearsal studio in his house in Silverlake where we'd go [after the Hell tour], set up our gear, and jam, and that is where the whole band really came together. Izzy had something called 'Think About You' that we liked, and we revisited 'Don't Cry,' which was the first song I'd ever worked on with Izzy.
Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York

Yeah, so as far as the writing process, you know, I never really contributed anything lyrically - I've never been a poet of any type or any kind of lyricist - but as far as arranging goes, I go, "Hey," you know, "how about that," "let's try this," or, "let's build it this way," or, "do it this way," so the arrangement process - yeah, I had taken a part in. As far as the actual writing, you know, I fumbled around with guitar but, you know, not enough to really, you know, "Hey, let's try this," you know, "that B chord," or, "a D chord," or anything like that. But the arrangement process - yes. [...] I remember writing Think About You, I remember that. I clearly remember that at Willie studio, I remember, like, working on that, "Okay, now we're gonna do this," and, you know, I just remember that particular song.

Recording the song:

The only song [the recording] took a long time was, uh [forgetting the song title] that, "dah-dah-dada-dah-bam-bam" [humming the drum intro]. The simplest song of the record! The first take we did I thought was great, but they didn't like it. We played it, like, 50 times! [Duff protesting] It was like 8 times!
Interview with Steven and Duff, December 1988

Talking about the song:

I always had a hard time with 'Think About You.' It was one of the songs that Izzy wrote that was very indicative of the sort of Hanoi Rocks thing that was going on at the time. I never really got off on playing it all that much.
Classic Rock Magazine, July 2007

That's a song that Izzy had in its entirety when we first started. I was never a big fan of it because it was just too lightweight. But at the same time, it was one of those songs where Izzy had written the lyrics, so it was sort of like that Aerosmith song "Combination" [on Rocks], which Joe Perry wrote. It was Izzy's babbling "Combination" song. I enjoyed recording it, though, I managed to get some ideas down and could walk away feeling satisfied with the way the song sounded.
Guitar Edge Magazine, March 2007

Think About You is a lot of fun, real punk rock and more of the kind of spirit that I grew up with.

Talking about his favorite song on Appetite:

You know, I’ve never told anyone this, but my personal favorite is “Think About You,” and I fought to have that one to be the second track on side two. I also pushed to have the acoustic guitars mixed at the center, really loud, jangling in the foreground. To me, that was their greatest post punk-rock Rolling Stones moment. I grew up a Stones fan in the world of Beatles versus Stones.

Think About You Newbor11

Last edited by Soulmonster on Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:50 pm; edited 11 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76581

Back to top Go down

Think About You Empty Re: Think About You

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:24 am

New quote from Slash talking about who wrote lyrics to songs off 'Appetite':

[...] Izzy wrote the words to a song called Think About You [...].
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue May 23, 2023 10:07 am

Think About You is a lot of fun, real punk rock and more of the kind of spirit that I grew up with.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:38 pm

Talking about his favorite song on Appetite:

You know, I’ve never told anyone this, but my personal favorite is “Think About You,” and I fought to have that one to be the second track on side two. I also pushed to have the acoustic guitars mixed at the center, really loud, jangling in the foreground. To me, that was their greatest post punk-rock Rolling Stones moment. I grew up a Stones fan in the world of Beatles versus Stones.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:50 pm

Yeah, so as far as the writing process, you know, I never really contributed anything lyrically - I've never been a poet of any type or any kind of lyricist - but as far as arranging goes, I go, "Hey," you know, "how about that," "let's try this," or, "let's build it this way," or, "do it this way," so the arrangement process - yeah, I had taken a part in. As far as the actual writing, you know, I fumbled around with guitar but, you know, not enough to really, you know, "Hey, let's try this," you know, "that B chord," or, "a D chord," or anything like that. But the arrangement process - yes. [...] I remember writing Think About You, I remember that. I clearly remember that at Willie studio, I remember, like, working on that, "Okay, now we're gonna do this," and, you know, I just remember that particular song.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: