APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2016.04.16 - Billboard - Axl Rose to Tour with AC/DC (& related articles)

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2016.04.16 - Billboard - Axl Rose to Tour with AC/DC (& related articles) Empty 2016.04.16 - Billboard - Axl Rose to Tour with AC/DC (& related articles)

Post by Blackstar Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:24 pm

Axl Rose to Tour with AC/DC

The Guns N' Roses frontman will join the Rock Or Bust stadium tour when it resumes May 7 in Lisbon, Portugal.

By Shirley Halperin

Guns N’ Roses frontman Axl Rose has a new gig lined up: he’ll be singing with AC/DC.

The Australian rockers announced tonight (April 16) that Rose will step in for Brian Johnson, who had to bow out from touring due to hearing issues, issuing the following statement:

“AC/DC band members would like to thank Brian Johnson for his contributions and dedication to the band throughout the years. We wish him all the best with his hearing issues and future ventures.  As much as we want this tour to end as it started, we understand, respect and support Brian’s decision to stop touring and save his hearing.  We are dedicated to fulfilling the remainder of our touring commitments to everyone that has supported us over the years, and are fortunate that Axl Rose has kindly offered his support to help us fulfill this commitment.”

According to a source, Rose, a huge AC/DC fan who’s covered the band’s classic “Whole Lotta Rosie” going back to his band’s early days, had met with AC/DC members, including original guitarist Angus Young, in Miami and Atlanta more than a month ago. It was then that the plan to have Rose join AC/DC, despite his own band’s live commitments, was hatched. There was also talk of having other singers alternate with Rose, including Sebastian Bach, formerly of Skid Row (who had joined GNR onstage previously), and Nic Cester of the Aussie band Jet.

AC/DC’s Rock Or Bust stadium tour resumes May 7 in Lisbon, Portugal and runs through June 12. Following the European run, Rose will head out on his Guns N’ Roses ‘Not In This Lifetime’ summer stadium tour, the dates of which were announced on April 6.

See the list of AC/DC European tour dates below:

May 7 – Lisbon, Portugal – Passeio Maritimo De Alges
May 10 – Seville, Spain – Estadio De La Cartuja
May 13 – Marseille, France – Stade Velodrome
May 16 – Werchter, Belgium – Werchter Site
May 19 – Vienna, Austria – Erns-Happel Stadium
May 22 – Prague, Czech Republic – Letnany Airport
May 26 – Hamburg, Germany – Volksparkstadion
May 29 – Berne, Switzerland – Stade De Suisse
June 1 – Leipzig, Germany – Red Bull Arena
June 4 – London, England – The Stadium, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
June 9 – Manchester, England – Etihad Stadium
June 12 – Aarhus, Denmark – Ceres Park

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/axl-rose-to-tour-with-acdc-7334119/

Last edited by Blackstar on Fri May 12, 2023 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 86383

Back to top Go down

2016.04.16 - Billboard - Axl Rose to Tour with AC/DC (& related articles) Empty Re: 2016.04.16 - Billboard - Axl Rose to Tour with AC/DC (& related articles)

Post by Blackstar Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:24 pm

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

2016.04.16 - Billboard - Axl Rose to Tour with AC/DC (& related articles) Empty Re: 2016.04.16 - Billboard - Axl Rose to Tour with AC/DC (& related articles)

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 1:18 pm

Related news and various reactions (positive, negative, neutral) on the rumour and then confirmation of Axl joining AC/DC.

Sticks For Stones/Blabbermouth, April 3, 2016:
-----------------------------------------------------

Drowning Pool Frontman Says Axl Rose Singing For AC/DC Could Work 'If He Checks His Ego'

Drowning Pool frontman Jasen Moreno says that Axl Rose would make a good replacement for Brian Johnson in AC/DC, provided that the Guns N' Roses singer "checks his ego" before going up on stage with Angus Young and Co. [...]

Asked by Australia's Sticks For Stones web site if he thinks the Rose-AC/DC combination could work, Moreno said: "Yeah, I don't see why it couldn't. I mean, I was really big into 'Appetite For Destruction' and then I kind of lost interest after that record. AC/DC is… they're icons, man. You can't not like AC/DC.'

While acknowledging that it "is sad to hear" that Johnson may not be able to tour with AC/DC anymore, Moreno gave his "thumbs up" to the Rose-and-AC/DC pairing, explaining: "I think that, you know, if he checks his ego — and I'm not trying to talk messy; I'm just saying if he doesn't try to incorporate too much of Axl into AC/DC — then I think it could be fun. I think he just has to remember why he's there — that he's there to front AC/DC and not to be Axl Rose. But I don't know that guy, so… I mean, I don't think it's a bad thing. Axl Rose is an icon in his own right. [He's got a] similar vocal register as well. And he's got a hellacious attitude, so I'm glad they got somebody that'll be able to fill the room and not some unknown hack."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/drowning-pool-frontman-says-axl-rose-singing-for-acdc-could-work-if-he-checks-his-ego

Last edited by Blackstar on Fri May 12, 2023 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 1:21 pm

R7/Blabbermouth, April 4, 2016:
-----------------------------------------

Anthrax's Scott Ian Says AC/DC 'Should Just Stop' If Brian Johnson Is Unable To Continue Fronting Band

Asked for his opinion on reports that Axl might end up fronting AC/DC for some of the band's upcoming concerts, Ian told Brazilian journalist Luiz Cesar Pimentel of the news portal R7 (see video below): "I don't think anything. I guess I'll hear it at some point, and then I can make my opinion. I guess I could kind of imagine in my brain, but I don't even know what Axl sounds like now. I haven't heard Axl Rose sing in a long, long time. So, can he sing AC/DC songs? I don't know. I suppose AC/DC must think so, if it's true. So I'm sure I'll get to hear it soon enough on the Internet somewhere and then I guess I'll have an opinion on it."

He continued: "I wish they would get Angry Anderson, the guy who was in Rose Tattoo. I don't know if Angry Anderson is still even singing anymore. But I always thought, in 1980, he was the guy. I didn't know who Brian Johnson was yet, but I knew Angry Anderson in 1980, and when Bon [Scott] died, I was hoping Angry Anderson was gonna join AC/DC, 'cause he was from Australia and he sounded like a guy who should be in AC/DC. But then Brian came and Brian was great. So who knows?"

Ian added: "My personal opinion is, without Brian at this point, I think they should just stop. Why? Why? You're AC/DC. I don't think they need the money. It would be pretty hard to imagine that they still are out there working because they need money. But who am I to say? It's just my opinion. But I wish… If Brian is done, then I wish the band would stop. That's just my personal, shitty opinion."

Ian also talked about the retirement of AC/DC's founding guitarist Malcolm Young, who is suffering from dementia. He said: "It's very depressing. It's certainly worse for… Look, I'm just a fan. It's different for Malcolm personally and for his family and his friends. Obviously, it's a terrible, terrible situation. I'm just a fan of his, so it makes me sad that someone that has meant so much to me is sick. I just hope that he's in peace, [that] he doesn't have pain."

He continued: "Anytime your heroes are not doing what they do anymore, it sucks. But I understand it, too, at the same time. I don't wanna see my favorite band trying to be on stage when they're eighty years old and not being able to perform anymore. It was hard to watch Lemmy at the end. We played a whole bunch of shows with Motorhead in September of last year in the States, and then we did the Motörboat cruise with them again. And it was great to see them, but at the same time, you can't help but think, 'Lemmy really… he shouldn't be on stage anymore. He's having a hard time.' But you can't argue. 'Cause Lemmy wanted to be there. No one was forcing him to play shows. He wanted to be on stage; that was his life. But as a fan, you know, you just can't help but think, 'Goddamn, he should just go home and play the fucking slot machines and just relax for a few years now. He's worked hard enough.' But that's what he loved to do, so you can't argue with that."

Ian went on to say: "But, yeah, I don't ever wanna see my heroes slow down, but it's just a fact of life; that's what's gonna happen. It's gonna happen to me. At some point, I'm not gonna be able to bang my head and jump around on stage the way I do now. But Angus is still doing it, and he's maybe ten years older than me or something, so it means I have at least ten more years. [Laughs]"

https://blabbermouth.net/news/anthraxs-scott-ian-says-acdc-should-just-stop-if-brian-johnson-is-unable-to-continue-fronting-band

Last edited by Blackstar on Fri May 12, 2023 3:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 1:27 pm

Sticks For Stones/Blabbermouth, April 6, 2016:

Should AC/DC Recruit Axl Rose To Replace Brian Johnson? Hatebreed's Jamey Jasta Weighs In

Hatebreed frontman Jamey Jasta says that he is "not jumping out of his seat" at the prospect of Axl Rose singing for AC/DC, explaining that he would be more excited if someone like Accept's Mark Tornillo stepped in to replace Brian Johnson. [...]

Asked by Australia's Sticks For Stones web site if he would go watch Axl singing for AC/DC, and whether he thinks they are a good match, Jasta said (hear audio below): "Yeah, I'll check it out. I really… I wanna say that I wish Brian Johnson the best. I've been going to the ear, nose and throat doctor since, like, 2010, and I'm due for another checkup."

He continued: "I think it's kind of every singer's worst fear — singer, screamer, broadcaster… anybody… voiceover talent… Anybody who's doing anything where their business and their livelihood is their voice, it's always in the back of your head. So I really hope he makes a full recovery, I hope he's okay, and I hope that the drama and the clickbait and the stuff that we're seeing online, I hope it's not as bad as what it seems."

Jasta went on to say: "As far as Axl singing for AC/DC, it doesn't have the excitement as, like, if a Mark Tornillo or… somebody who is more of an underdog, I think, I would be more excited about. I don't know… Like, I would have liked to see a rags-to-riches type of story rather than a bunch of millionaires, you know, kind of doing AC/DC covers. I don't know... I respect Axl, I like his voice, I think his voice will be fine for AC/DC songs. I wanna check it out. But I'm not, like, jumping out of my seat. If you told me Mark from Accept got the gig, I would be losing my mind. I would be so freaking happy, 'cause I love those… I love the last three Accept records; they're fucking great! But I like an underdog story."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/should-acdc-recruit-axl-rose-to-replace-brian-johnson-hatebreeds-jamey-jasta-weighs-in

Last edited by Blackstar on Fri May 12, 2023 3:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 1:29 pm

Blabbermouth, April 6, 2016:
----------------------------------

Rob Zombie Weighs In On AC/DC Singer Situation

According to The Pulse Of Radio, Rob Zombie has weighed in on the strange situation regarding AC/DC and singer Brian Johnson. [...]

Zombie told The Pulse Of Radio that the situation seems like a difficult one from the outside. "That's a weird one," he said. "I feel bad for Brian Johnson. Being in a band for 38 years and still be the new guy is kind of odd but, you know, I'm not in AC/DC so I don't know the dynamic of it all, you know."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/rob-zombie-weighs-in-on-acdc-singer-situation

Last edited by Blackstar on Fri May 12, 2023 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 1:36 pm

Rolling Stone, April 18, 2016:
-----------------------------------

Alice Cooper on Axl Rose Joining AC/DC: ‘That Might Just Work’
"His voice is absolutely perfect for that band," shock rocker says

By Kory Grow

Alice Cooper is excited by the news that Axl Rose will be fronting AC/DC on the next leg of the latter band’s upcoming world tour. “I just think that’s such a unique combination,” he tells Rolling Stone. “Whoever has tickets to that show has got the golden ticket, because who doesn’t want to see that?”

Cooper, who will be embarking on his own tour this summer with his supergroup Hollywood Vampires, heard about the pairing early, likely through the Vampires’ former touring bassist Duff McKagan, who has since returned to Guns N’ Roses. “At first I thought it was an April Fool’s thing,” Cooper says. “I went, ‘Oh, come on.’ Then I started thinking about it and said, ‘You know, his voice is absolutely perfect for that band. That might just work.'”

Rose’s guest role in the group follows news that Brian Johnson – AC/DC frontman for nearly four decades – could no longer tour because he was running the risk of going deaf. They confirmed Rose’s role in the band over the weekend with a statement saying they felt fortunate that the Guns N’ Roses frontman had offered his support. The band, with Rose, will embark on a European stadium tour from early May to mid-June.

This past spring, the Aussies had postponed a run of gigs in the U.S., urging fans to keep their tickets. Now with Rose on board, AC/DC will announce 10 rescheduled U.S. dates imminently.

Meanwhile, Guns N’ Roses are launching their own stadium tour. The band recently reunited with McKagan and Slash, having played a handful of gigs already in recent weeks, as well as the opening weekend at Coachella this past Saturday. At that gig, they welcomed AC/DC’s Angus Young to the stage for renditions of his band’s “Whole Lotta Rosie” and “Riff Raff.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/alice-cooper-on-axl-rose-joining-ac-dc-that-might-just-work-51949/

Last edited by Blackstar on Fri May 12, 2023 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 1:39 pm

Statement from Brian Johnson (via Blabbermouth), April 19, 2016:
Brian Johnson wrote:As many AC/DC fans know, the remaining shows for the 2016 AC/DC 'Rock Or Bust' world tour, including 10 postponed U.S. shows, are being rescheduled with a guest singer. I want personally to explain the reason because I don't believe the earlier press releases sufficiently set out what I wanted to say to our fans or the way in which I thought it should be presented.

On March 7th, after a series of examinations by leading physicians in the field of hearing loss, I was advised that if I continue to perform at large venues, I risked total deafness. While I was horrified at the reality of the news that day, I had for a time become aware that my partial hearing loss was beginning to interfere with my performance on stage. I was having difficulty hearing the guitars on stage and because I was not able to hear the other musicians clearly, I feared the quality of my performance could be compromised. In all honesty, this was something I could not in good conscience allow. Our fans deserve my performance to be at the highest level, and if for any reason I can't deliver that level of performance, I will not disappoint our fans or embarrass the other members of AC/DC. I am not a quitter and I like to finish what I start. Nevertheless, the doctors made it clear to me and my bandmates that I had no choice but to stop performing on stage for the remaining shows and possibly beyond. That was the darkest day of my professional life.

Since that day, I have had several consultations with my doctors and it appears that, for the near future, I will be unable to perform on stage at arena- and stadium-size venues where the sound levels are beyond my current tolerance, without the risk of substantial hearing loss and possibly total deafness. Until that time, I tried as best as I could to continue despite the pain and hearing loss but it all became too much to bear and too much to risk.

I am personally crushed by this development more than anyone could ever imagine. The emotional experience I feel now is worse than anything I have ever in my life felt before. Being part of AC/DC, making records and performing for the millions of devoted fans this past 36 years has been my life's work. I cannot imagine going forward without being part of that, but for now I have no choice. The one thing for certain is that I will always be with AC/DC at every show in spirit, if not in person. Most importantly, I feel terrible having to disappoint the fans who bought tickets for the canceled shows and who have steadfastly supported me and AC/DC these many years.

Words cannot express my deep gratitude and heartfelt thanks not just for the recent outpouring to me personally of kind words and good wishes, but also for the years of loyal support of AC/DC. My thanks also go to Angus and Cliff for their support.

Finally, I wish to assure our fans that I am not retiring. My doctors have told me that I can continue to record in studios and I intend to do that. For the moment, my entire focus is to continue medical treatment to improve my hearing. I am hoping that in time my hearing will improve and allow me to return to live concert performances. While the outcome is uncertain, my attitude is optimistic. Only time will tell.

Once again, my sincere best wishes and thanks to everyone for their support and understanding.

Love, Brian
https://blabbermouth.net/news/acdcs-brian-johnson-i-had-no-choice-but-to-stop-performing-on-stage

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 2:23 pm

The Sydney Morning Herald, April 19, 2016:
-------------------------------------------------------

Axl Rose joins AC/DC reaction: from condemnation to amusement

Reactions to the news that Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose will join AC/DC as lead singer, replacing Brian Johnson, for 22 concerts in the United States and Europe range from amusement to blunt condemnation to resignation.

Alberts, which handles AC/DC management, confirmed the appointment in a statement on Sunday, before the last original AC/DC member, Angus Young, joined Guns N' Roses on stage at Coachella for their reunion show in what looked like a marketing stunt ahead of the rescheduled dates.

Rose, it's worth noting, broke his foot before the Coachella show and had to sing seated on a throne of guitars - the same throne the Foo Fighters Dave Grohl used last year.

Here's how David Sikorski, of The Daily Beast, saw Rose's contribution at Coachella: "[He was a] largely unrecognisable rock star sweating profusely in his chair ... Somehow, a lifetime of zero cardio, hard-partying, and an unfortunate penchant for plastic surgery left the Ginger Rock God gasping for air more times than showcasing his impressive vocal range, screaming that unmistakable high tenor into the mic."

None of that augurs well for AC/DC on tour with Axl, which begins on May 7 in Lisbon at the Passeio Maritimo De Alges.

Sources close to the band say the choice of Rose was "financially motivated". But there can be little doubt fans would struggle with it: they showed little more than disdain at the rumours.

When it was confirmed, fans ran to social media to laugh, rant and cry about a decision which could recast AC/DC as more brand than band 43 years after the Young brothers started the group and 36 years after the defining frontman, Bon Scott, died.

In the spirit of the band's defiant songwriting that created classics as Highway to Hell, Hells Bells and Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, an overwhelming majority of fans bluntly rejected the choice of replacement for Johnson.

Jesse Fink, a noted AC/DC biographer who wrote The Youngs: The Brothers Who Built AC/DC, called Rose's promotion 'the worst decision AC/DC has ever made'.

"Fans are pretty disgusted," Fink said.

"AC/DC is an institution, a way of life for a lot of people. And a huge proportion of the AC/DC fan base loves Brian [Johnson]. They feel the band owed him a lot more than to go out the way he has and they want the truth, not an emotionless press release that makes it sound like he was made redundant from a motor plant.

"Would Malcolm have agreed to this? It leaves the question of who is making the decisions for AC/DC. Angus? George? [Accountant] Alvin Handwerker? Sony?

"There seems to be a power vacuum since Mal retired from the band and whoever is making the decisions is, frankly, making pretty poor ones. This is the worst decision AC/DC has ever made."

Plenty of music fans, although not necessarily AC/DC fans, were morbidly fascinated because they can see the potential for disaster, not least Rose keeping AC/DC audiences waiting for hours and / or falling out with Angus Young.

On AC/DC's official Facebook page, Eoin Jordan summed up the response of many fans when he wrote: "AC/DC have been my favourite band for nearly 30 years ... did think that some of the decisions in the wake of Malcolm's retirement were a bit strange, including the decision to carry on without him. I'm not a fan of the latest album, and the Phil Rudd business, including slagging him off on Howard Stern's show, annoyed me ... This latest announcement is a step too far for me, I'm stepping off here! [sic]"

Also on Facebook, John Cole was typical of fans who appeared to not be coping well with the news: "Never forget how much I've loved AC/DC, it's ripping me apart right now," he posted.

A gracious Jacqueline Woll also made it clear where she stood: "The end of AC/DC has finally come. Thanks for all the great memories, great guitar licks, awesome music, and being one of the funnest n nicest group of guys in show bizz. I'll pass on Axl ..."

One reaction almost entirely absent in public forums was praise. Those that bought into it were mostly Guns N'Roses fans.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/axl-rose-joins-acdc-reaction-from-condemnation-to-amusement-20160418-go8mnc.html

Last edited by Blackstar on Fri May 12, 2023 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 2:27 pm

Eddie Trunk Live/Blabbermouth, April 20, 2016:

Scorpions Guitarist Rudolf Schenker Calls Axl Rose-AC/DC Pairing 'Strange', Feels Sorry For Brian Johnson

Asked for his opinion on the Axl Rose-AC/DC pairing, Scorpions guitarist Rudolf Schenker told the SiriusXM satellite radio show "Eddie Trunk Live": "When I heard about this AC/DC thing, I felt very sorry about Brian, because Brian is a fantastic guy. I think he has to go into the comedian land, because, I mean, we spent a few nights until the morning — four, six o'clock at the Rihga Royal Hotel in New York — with Brian. It was fantastic. And when he talks, when he explains you something, he tells stories, it's a journey where you are so completely connected [to] what he is saying. So, in this case, I feel very sorry for him. I think he still even it was a hard time for him to take over from Bon Scott, but he did a fantastic job."

He continued: "I don't know. It feels for me a little bit like… You remember the time when Deep Purple's Ian Gillan became the singer of Black Sabbath? I'll tell you one thing: it's somehow strange, but in this situation, I think Axl will go a good job when he is in the right mood, because I think he can sing the stuff. But somehow, after seeing Brian singing so often with AC/DC, he always, even when he had a party night, he did a great job. And I feel very sorry, I feel very unhappy that Brian can't do the job. And, yeah, whether Axl can do it… I don't know."

Rudolf went on to say: "I heard always good things about appearances by Axl and Guns N' Roses. I met very often Slash and I always asked him, 'Hey, guys, you guys have to be together again.' And he said, 'Yeah. Then ask Axl.' So now they are playing together and then you're hearing this news that feels for me a little bit strange. Because, on one hand, it's great that the band is back again, Guns N' Roses. On the other hand, the singer already confirms to AC/DC. It's a little bit strange, in one way. For me, as a rock musician, as a guy who knows the history of Guns N' Roses and also the history of AC/DC especially… We had a very, very, very good relationship with AC/DC, because AC/DC was very complicated in handling with other bands. But we always were in a fantastic way. So I hope, yeah, that everything works well for both — for Guns N' Roses and also for AC/DC."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/scorpions-guitarist-rudolf-schenker-calls-axl-rose-acdc-pairing-strange-feels-sorry-for-brian-johnson
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 3:08 pm

Interview with Roger Daltrey of The Who; Postmedia Network, April 20, 2016:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you think when you heard AC/DC’s Brian Johnson had to retire from the band’s remaining Rock or Bust tour dates or he might lose his hearing and that Guns N’ Roses Axl Rose will be their guest singer?

I mean I really feel badly for Brian. It must be heartbreaking for him after all the service he’s given that band over the years. I thought their farewell statement to the press and to Brian was fairly curt to say the least. I felt for him. That must have hurt. I’ve spoken to Brian. He’s got loads of other things he wants to do in his life. I think AC/DC will miss Brian much more than Brian will miss AC/DC. There you go. What do you expect from Australians? (laughs) ... And he’s such a lovely guy, Brian. I’ve known him for 40 odd years, more. ... I mean, go and see karaoke with Axl Rose? Give me a break. (Laughs).

https://web.archive.org/web/20160624120651/http://www.lfpress.com/2016/04/20/the-whos-roger-daltrey-talks-touring-pete-townshend-and-axl-joining-acdc
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 3:11 pm

WZLX 100.7 FM Boston/Blabbermouth, April 21, 2016:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Singer Of Tribute Band Back In Black Talks About Auditioning For AC/DC

Darren Caperna, the singer of the Dallas-based AC/DC tribute band Back In Black, spoke with the "Karlson & McKenzie" show on Boston's WZLX 100.7 FM radio station, about losing the AC/DC frontman gig to Axl Rose of Guns N' Roses.

Caperna was called by AC/DC to audition during the week of March 14 and immediately flew to private rehearsal studio in Atlanta, accompanied by Back In Black guitarist Mike Mroz.

Before meeting the band, he was given a soundcheck with the band's tech crew, during which the members of AC/DC also introduced themselves.

"We were [in Atlanta for the audition] right before [Axl]," Caperna said. "We flew in on a Sunday, we rehearsed on a Monday and then we flew out on a Tuesday. And they told us that I did a great job and they loved us."

He continued: "Let me tell you something: They made us feel like we've known each other for years. There was no rock star persona, there was nothing. Angus showed up in a jeans and t-shirt, and I hung out and I was drinking tea with them outside while telling stories and talking to each other like we were just hanging out at a studio, singing songs together. And they told us they don't know which direction they're going when we were leaving, but they wanted us to know that we did a great job. The manager came and told us the next day at the hotel. So we're sitting there waiting and waiting. The next week comes and we're waiting for the call. And then we see Axl Rose seen at the same hotel we were at in Atlanta, and I went, 'Oh, crap!' We didn't know, but we were kind of, like, 'That can't be a coincidence.'"

Caperna's three-to-four-song audition turned into a 21-song concert, with him singing the entire "Rock Or Bust" tour set, plus two additional songs Angus Young wanted to play, "Dog Eat Dog" and "Riff Raff".

He related how before going into "Riff Raff", Angus approached him and said, "I'm warning you in advance that we are still a little rusty on this song!" Caperna still can't believe that Young was actually apologizing to him.

Caperna said that even though he didn't get the job, it was "the experience of a lifetime" that went way beyond their expectations. He said that he's now got a great story to tell his grandchildren, as well as his guitar students at For Those About To Rock School in Southlake, Texas.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/singer-of-tribute-band-back-in-black-talks-about-auditioning-for-acdc-audio
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 3:14 pm

Metal Talk, April 21, 2016:

EXCLUSIVE: PROMINENT AC/DC CREW MEMBER GIVES REMARKABLE INSIGHT INTO AXL ROSE APPOINTMENT

A prominent member of AC/DC’s touring company has given us a remarkable insight into what is going on behind the scenes after the band appointed Axl Rose as vocalist in the wake of Brian Johnson’s sad departure from the band.

Axl will play 22 dates with AC/DC, the first being in Lisbon on May 7th. In the meantime, the crew are on a short downtime and our contact told us the following:

“Oh well, the fun has begun and ain’t even been home a couple of days. Got a call from DC management telling me ‘when I go to Portugal next week for a little break before the European tour starts they have set up a meeting with the promotors and local council people in charge of the show on the 7th in Lisbon and could I attend.’

“So I asked what is it all about, as you do, and after a little delay was told its about sorting out what times the show can run to at the latest before cut off, even though contracts and agreements have been sorted. I was told they will email all the details of what they now want and see if I can sort it.

“Not so much as predicting trouble, more like covering arses time as all contracts between DC and Rose have been hashed out but as you know if all goes tits up its years going through courts etc and it doesn’t help people, especially the genuine fans who are my concern, spending their dosh for a night out.

“I just wish they could have picked one of the other four singers who are not as famous or infamous or even followed through with the Steve Tyler talks! All four are from DC cover bands. I put Mr [Angry] Anderson up but… no reply.

“Don’t get me wrong, Axl can do the job and there will be more classic Bon Scott era songs but how can you sing them if you are not there or asleep? Oh well, as they say, onwards and upwards.”

So in a nutshell, AC/DC are covering themselves in case Axl’s poor reputation for unprofessionalism manifests itself, the band did speak to Steven Tyler about the gig, the crew are not totally positive about Axl’s appointment and Angry Anderson was not even close to being considered for the job.

Our contact went on to tell us: “Brian [Johnson] has had problems with his hearing on this tour which affected his vocals. There are other personal problems but they remain personal and it will all come out as and when.”

Meanwhile The Sydney Morning Herald are quoting sources close to AC/DC who apparently told the paper that the choice of Rose for the upcoming tour was “financially motivated.”

Jesse Fink, the AC/DC biographer who wrote ‘The Youngs: The Brothers Who Built AC/DC’, called the Rose recruitment “the worst decision AC/DC has ever made. Fans are pretty disgusted,” Fink said.

“AC/DC is an institution, a way of life for a lot of people,” he continued. “And a huge proportion of the AC/DC fan base loves Brian. They feel the band owed him a lot more than to go out the way he has and they want the truth, not an emotionless press release that makes it sound like he was made redundant from a motor plant.

“Would Malcolm have agreed to this? It leaves the question of who is making the decisions for AC/DC. Angus? George? [Accountant] Alvin Handwerker? Sony?

“There seems to be a power vacuum since Mal retired from the band and whoever is making the decisions is, frankly, making pretty poor ones. This is the worst decision AC/DC has ever made.”

https://www.metaltalk.net/2016101.php
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 3:17 pm

WGRD Radio/Blabbermouth, April 22, 2016:
----------------------------------------------------

Shinedown's Brent Smith On Axl Rose Singing For AC/DC: 'More Power To 'Em'

During a brand new interview with the WGRD radio station in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Shinedown frontman Brent Smith was asked for his opinion on last week's announcement that Brian Johnson was retiring from AC/DC because he risks substantial hearing loss if he continues to perform in large arenas and stadiums.

Smith said: "I was a little confused by the whole situation until the other day, because Brian Johnson actually released a statement yesterday, where he had made a point about the fact that his hearing loss was something of really just… It's quite tragic on a lot of different levels. You know, he's been with AC/DC for 36 years. But in his statement… I think a lot of people, before Brian made his statement, people were just really angry at Angus, like, 'What are you doing?' And I understood that, because of the iconic voice that is Brian Johnson. But I didn't really know what was going on."

He continued: "I was saying this before, when it happened…. We don't really know what's going on; it's not like I have an open line of communication with the band AC/DC. And everybody was just making their own assumptions as to whether they thought this was B.S. or it was bogus, or what was going on. But from what I gathered from Brian Johnson's statement, he's okay with what they're doing by bringing Axl in to finish up the dates. And also, he thanked Cliff and he thanked Angus in the statement. And it basically came down to the fact that the doctors are, like… The hearing loss…. He can't perform in stadiums anymore right now. He can't deal with just the amount of noise that larger arenas and stadiums impact on his hearing. It doesn't mean that he can't go into the studio and perform, is what he said in the statement. So I think he's gonna continue to do albums with AC/DC, and hopefully, God willing, he may be able to return to the stage. I mean, he's 68 yeas old. But it's kind of one of those things where only time will tell."

Smith went on to say: "But, in answer to your question, what do I think about it? After looking and reading his statement, and seeing what they're doing by bringing Axl in to finish up the shows, now that I know both sides, and it looked as if Brian Johnson had given his blessing for Axl to come in and do this, I mean, more power to 'em, I guess."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/shinedowns-brent-smith-on-axl-rose-singing-for-acdc-more-power-to-em
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 3:23 pm

Metal Wani/Blabbermouth, April 24, 2016:
--------------------------------------------------

AC/DC Should Have Hired Marc Storace Or Mark Tornillo Instead Of Axl Rose, Says Destruction Frontman

Schmier of German thrashers Destruction has weighed in on the strange situation regarding AC/DC and singer Brian Johnson. The legendary Australian rock band postponed the last ten dates of its recent North American tour after doctors told Johnson he faced "total hearing loss." AC/DC has since announced that it will use Guns N' Roses singer Axl Rose as a "guest vocalist" when it resumes its tour next month, with Johnson apparently not returning to the band at all.

Speaking to Metal Wani, Schmier stated about the prospect of an Axl Rose-fronted AC/DC (hear audio below): "Oh my God. I mean, it's a great promotional [tool]. But for real, I don't know why they're doing this, actually; it's weird. I mean, Axl Rose has a legacy of fucking up concerts and not being very reliable. I saw him on his worst, when he was so fat that he couldn't sing anymore. They played Rock In Rio three years ago. We [Destruction] were also on Rock In Rio — we played there — and I saw the Axl Rose performance on TV in Rio De Janeiro the day before we played, and it was so… Actually, it was after us, I think. It was on Sunday. We played on Saturday. It was fucking terrible, you know. And I think [since then] he [has] lost some weight and maybe he's stopped doing so many drugs, and he has a better voice now again; he's back to [being] a better singer. But singing AC/DC every night; this is a lot of energy for the vocals, you know. I don't think he's gonna be able to do that, actually. I mean, it would be a miracle if they don't have to cancel shows."

He continued: "Axl Rose definitely did some great albums with Guns N' Roses in the past, and he used to be a great singer. And maybe he's back. But I don't think he was a good choice. There would have been many, many other singers that would have fit much better, like the guy from Accept [Mark Tornillo] or [Marc] Storace from Krokus — guys that are also in the same age and in the same time that would fit much better. [Tornillo is] actually fantastic. He's also not the youngest anymore; he's, like, 60, I think. But he's still in great shape. And I think also Marc Storace from Krokus. He's in amazing shape. I had a show with him two years ago, and he was warming up backstage, and he was soo good. And I asked him how old he is, and he said he was, like… And that was, like, two years ago… He was 60 or 62 or something already. I think he's also old, but still so good. I think Storace would have been the perfect guy for AC/DC. But, okay, Axl Rose definitely has the better promotion."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/acdc-should-have-hired-marc-storace-or-mark-tornillo-instead-of-axl-rose-says-destruction-frontman
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 3:30 pm

Metal Wani/Blabbermouth, April 26, 2016:

Michael Starr Talks Steel Panther's Next Studio Album, Comments On Axl Rose Singing For AC/DC

Metal Wani's William Richards recently conducted an interview with Steel Panther frontman Michael Starr. [...]

On Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose singing for AC/DC:

Starr: "[it's] pretty fucking awesome, I think. I mean, who's gonna sound more like fucking Brian Johnson than Axl Rose? Think about it. They're, like, the same register, same key, same tone. And it's Axl. That's fucking pretty cool when you have two heavenly heavy metal bands joining forces. It's like two continents coming together for one big heavy metal baby. As long as he shows up. If he shows up, he goes on time, and he stops eating before the show, it should be great."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/michael-starr-talks-steel-panthers-next-studio-album-comments-on-axl-rose-singing-for-acdc
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 3:35 pm

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, April 27, 2016:
------------------------------------------------

Nikki Sixx talks Axl Rose in AC/DC, loss of Prince

Written by Scott Mervis

In a not-so-subtle acknowledgment that not everyone wants to see a replacement singer, even if it is Axl Rose, British ticketing company See Tickets announced Tuesday that it was offering refunds for the June 4 AC/DC concert at London Olympic Stadium.

It is one of 12 European dates on the tour set to start May 7 in Portugal. Singer Brian Johnson parted ways with AC/DC after concerns about his hearing came to light in March, and Rose, who has begun his reunion with Guns N' Roses, was announced as the stand-in for the tour.

Nikki Sixx, who has first-hand experience with fill-in singers (Jon Corabi replaced Vince Neil in Motley Crue rather unsuccessfully in the early ‘90s), thinks it’s a good fit.

In an interview Tuesday, the bassist said, “I think Axl’s got the right voice for that. Brian’s a friend. I’m a huge fan of AC/DC from back in the day. I was devastated when Bon Scott passed away and I didn’t think they could survive THAT. Brian means so much to AC/DC. I don’t know the inner workings, but if they have to go and do shows, I think Axl’s got the right voice.”

https://web.archive.org/web/20160428112954/https://blogs.post-gazette.com/arts-entertainment/pop-noise/46512-nikki-sixx-talks-axl-rose-in-ac-dc-loss-of-prince
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 3:41 pm

Another interview with Nikki Sixx; Neon Sunsets/Blabbermouth, April 2016:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motley Crue and Sixx:A.M. bassist Nikki Sixx has weighed in on AC/DC's decision to use Axl Rose as the the lead singer of the band's recent tour, saying that it was "pretty cool." [...]

In an interview conducted last year [2016] but only now posted on YouTube, Neon Sunsets asked Sixx for his opinion of the Rose-AC/DC pairing. He said (see video below): "I'm pretty much about the original band as much as possible. AC/DC, for me, growing up with Bon Scott [late AC/DC singer], was such an important band. And Brian, actually, really came in and [had] the hardest job in the world, and the band really went to the next level. Brian's a wonderful guy. I couldn't see life without Bon, but then I could never see life without Brian. Axl's in, he's singing, he's a great singer, and I think he's gonna do a great job. And I don't know if Brian will come back or not come back, but I actually think it's pretty cool."

Sixx went on to call Axl "an interesting character" who has "been a bit reclusive," and commented on the ongoing partial reunion of Guns N' Roses' classic lineup, which sees Axl joined by guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan for the "Not In This Lifetime" tour.

"Of all the people in the business that have tried to get the original Guns N' Roses back together, they could never get it back together," Nikki said. "They got a version of it back together, and you can see Axl looks happier. They're gonna go out and they're gonna play, and he's gonna do that AC/DC stuff."

He continued: "I don't know Axl, really, that well. I mean, I knew him a bit in the '80s when [Guns N' Roses] opened for Motley Crue. He was always sweet to me. He was always kind of shy and respectful. And I'm happy for him. He looks happy. He looks healthy. He missed doing what he's doing right now, and I'm sure having Slash and Duff by his side feels really good. So it's badass. Good for him. And good for Slash and Duff too. Good for the fans."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/nikki-sixx-weighs-in-on-axl-rose-fronting-acdc-partial-guns-n-roses-reunion
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 3:50 pm

Adelaide Now/Blabbermouth, April 28, 2016:

Bruce Dickinson On Axl Rose-Fronted AC/DC: 'It'd Be Horrible To See It End With People Not Turning Up On Stage Or Being Very Late'

Iron Maiden singer Bruce Dickinson has weighed in on the strange situation regarding AC/DC and singer Brian Johnson. [...]

Speaking to Australia's Adelaide Now, Dickinson stated about the prospect of an Axl Rose-fronted AC/DC: "It's an odd situation. I hope Brian can get some respite for whatever his medical issue is. He's a lovely guy. There's just Angus in AC/DC now as far as original members. I hope Angus ends up holding up the amazing reputation and the name of AC/DC. "

Then, in an apparent reference to Axl Rose's reputation for stage tardiness, Dickinson added: "It'd be horrible to see it end with people not turning up on stage or being very late. I hope it works out okay for everyone."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/bruce-dickinson-on-axl-rose-fronted-acdc-itd-be-horrible-to-see-it-end-with-people-not-turning-up-on-stage-or-being-very-late

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 4:06 pm

Blabbermouth, April 26, 2016:
--------------------------------------

AC/DC Fans Who Don't Want To See Band Perform With Axl Rose Can Get Their Money Back

British ticketing services company See Tickets is offering a chance to AC/DC fans who bought tickets for the band's June 4 concert at London Olympic Stadium to get their money back.

The show is one of twelve European dates AC/DC will perform with Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose on lead vocals after Brian Johnson was ordered to stop touring or risk going deaf.

See Tickets sent out an e-mail earlier today to everyone who bought tickets to the London gig using the service. The message reads: "You have the opportunity to request a refund of your ticket. Refunds will be available from now until 5pm on Friday, May 6."

It is not presently clear if the refund offer will be made available for the other dates on AC/DC's European tour, which kicks off on May 7 in Lisbon, Portugal and runs through June 12 in Aarhus, Denmark. Following that, Rose will head out on his previously announced summer reunion tour with Guns N' Roses, dubbed "Not In This Lifetime". AC/DC's ten postponed U.S. dates will take place later in the year, also with Rose as frontman.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/acdc-fans-who-dont-want-to-see-band-perform-with-axl-rose-can-get-their-money-back
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 4:11 pm

Indy Week, April 28, 2016 (interview with Lee Robinson, singer of another AC/DC tribute band who auditioned as Brian Johnson's replacement):

Trying Out for AC/DC: The Frontman of a Local Cover Band Remembers His Day Leading the Legends

Posted by David Klein

Last month, for two hours, a twenty-nine-year-old construction worker from Butner, North Carolina, fronted AC/DC. It was an audition, not a public performance, and he was ultimately passed over for the big name of Axl Rose. Still, Lee Robinson experienced something electrifying and unforgettable, and he came away with the kind of ego boost that pays dividends in perpetuity.

In March, Robinson received a call from Jeff Young, his bandmate in Thunderstruck, a Raleigh AC/DC tribute band. AC/DC’s people had left Young a voice mail asking that Robinson audition for the position of lead singer for the remaining dates on the band’s Rock or Bust tour. Brian Johnson, the band’s lead singer since replacing Bon Scott in 1980, had been forced to quit the tour due to hearing issues.

Robinson was aware that AC/DC needed a singer, of course. To no avail, he had asked around as to how to send the band a press kit. Then the call came. At first, Robinson thought his buddy was joking.

“I’m at work, swinging a hammer like I always do, and I get a text out of nowhere from Jeff, saying AC/DC’s agent just called him. It's a group message—the whole band’s freaking out, and I’m like, 'OK, well that’s a hilarious joke. Whatever. I hate you guys,'" he remembers. But he called Young anyway. "Jeff’s response was, 'Hurry the hell up and get to my house.'"

Thunderstruck is Robinson’s first real band. Before that, his experience included a cover band that played Ratt and Cinderella tunes in the town’s bars just for fun. Young, who is about twenty years Robinson’s senior, has known Robinson since the now-singer was a kid. He even played in a band with Robinson’s dad. Years ago, he’d asked him to front his cover band, but Robinson didn’t feel ready.

In 2013, after Young showed up at a gig and joined the band for “Highway to Hell,” Young offered him the job again. This time, Robinson accepted. He’s grown into the role and gained confidence. Still, he’s quick to point out that, with Thunderstruck, he was essentially there to impersonate Brian Johnson and Bon Scott. Going into the audition, his aim was pretty much the opposite. When he got to Atlanta, he met with the tour manager and stage manager, who confirmed that was the correct instinct.

“I knew all the songs on the set list, but nonetheless, you’re with AC/DC, you’re not in a tribute band anymore, so I wanted to know the songs front, back, left, and right," he says. “I said, ‘I’m sure you guys aren’t looking for live karaoke action,' and they said, ‘No, we’re looking for a singer. We don’t want Brian Johnson or Bon Scott.' Onstage [with Thunderstruck], it’s my job to be Brian Johnson, but in real life it’s my job to be Lee Robinson.”

Soon he was jamming with the tech crew. It shouldn’t have been a big deal, but it was. They played the first verse of "Back in Black," and he froze.

"This was just the tech crew, not even the band, but for some reason, the minute they started playing, the nerves just hit me," he admits. "And as soon as we got done with the first verse, the first chorus—which I basically stammered through like a child—on the microphone, I asked the guys, ‘Have I wasted anyone’s time yet?’ And nobody spoke, they all just went dead silent. So, that's a yes.”

Happily, it didn’t end there. Robinson went outside and almost lost his lunch but managed to get his faculties together. He returned, the band came in shortly thereafter, and it was good.

"You’re sitting there with AC/DC. You don’t have a choice. You can’t be nervous. You can’t be scared. You just gotta be a man," he says. "And once they fired up, man, it sounded so genuine and so good that all I could do was smile—almost missed my intro, almost missed my cues, because I was smiling."

During the two hours it took for them to run through the set list, Robinson didn’t hear much in the way of feedback, especially from Angus Young, whom he believes to be the only irreplaceable member of AC/DC. (“Angus is the face of AC/DC,” he says.) The moment when Angus finally spoke is one that Robinson savors.

“He took his guitar off and he turns to me, and just grabs his throat," says Robinson. "And he doesn’t say anything; he’s just looking at me, readjusting his hand, almost like he was holding a hot pan or something. And then he says, ‘Whatever happens, man, you’ve got a hell of a voice.’"

For those two hours, Robinson really served as the leader of the band, too. They'd finish one song, and Young would turn to him and wait for orders on the next song, which he'd have to call out.

"He looked at me like, What’s the next song? And I’m looking at him like a twelve-year-old kid," he says. "Like, I don’t know… 'Highway to Hell'?"

And then it was done. He’d sung his heart out, had a Mean Joe Green moment with his favorite member of the band, and was back to work, swinging a hammer like he always did. Weeks went by. He and the tour manager had gotten to texting daily, formalities gone. When he received an email from the tour manager, he knew something was up, and it probably wasn’t good. In the end, they let him down gently, the operative phrases being “The band is going in a different direction,” and "Please keep this under your hat until we make a formal announcement.”

Robinson agreed to keep his mouth shut. Before the email, he’d enjoyed sitting on his secret knowledge. It was, of course, less fun having to keep the knowledge to himself, knowing he was out of the running. On April 16, Robinson learned what the world did, that Brian Johnson’s replacement for the remainder of the tour would be Axl Rose of Guns N’ Roses.

“I love Guns N’ Roses,” he says. “But I hate Axl for AC/DC, and I may be a bit biased because I wanted the job, but the same time, AC/DC and Guns N’ Roses are two separate bands completely, and they’re two separate attitudes. It’s not a good fit."

Still, if he had to lose out to someone, he’s OK with that person being Axl Rose. His favorite band is GN’R, for one thing. And he understands the point of going with an outsize figure like Rose.

“If they’d have picked some other poor kid from the country, that would have been a lot worse,” he says. “They picked a big name; they picked a good singer and a great frontman. So that makes me feel better about the way they went, versus somebody else like myself out of the streets. I would have felt like they had no respect for my skills as a vocalist if they had gone in the other direction.”

AC/DC’s scheduled appearance in Greensboro in March was among those canceled after Johnson’s departure. If and when AC/DC rolls back this way with Axl Rose, you can bet that Robinson will be on hand.

“I get to meet the band in Greensboro, and I’m gonna ask them if I can sing a song," Robinson beams. "And if they say yes, I’m gonna go out there and demolish the song. And hopefully Axl doesn’t hit me.”

https://web.archive.org/web/20160429115741/http://www.indyweek.com/music/archives/2016/04/28/trying-out-for-ac-dc-the-frontman-of-a-local-cover-band-remembers-his-day-leading-the-legends
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri May 12, 2023 4:16 pm

Metal Wani/Blabbermouth, April 29, 2016:

Zakk Wylde On Axl Rose Fronting AC/DC: 'I Couldn't Think Of A Better Choice'

Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society, Ozzy Osbourne) says that he "couldn't think of a better choice" than Axl Rose to front AC/DC for European dates in May and June. [...]

Wylde, who has performed a cover version of AC/DC's "Whole Lotta Rosie" with Guns N' Roses in 2011 when Black Label Society opened for GN'R, says that while he certainly wants to see Johnson return to AC/DC, he believes that Rose will be the perfect guy to step in and do the job.

"We all want Brian to get better, as far as his hearing," Zakk told Metal Wani in a new interview (hear audio below). "That's terrible. I've met Brian, and he's the sweetest guy on the planet. I mean, obviously, everybody's rootin' for Brian to get better. But in the meantime, while Brian's recovering, I couldn't think of a better choice. And Axl's such a huge fan. Bon Scott is, like, his guy."

He continued: "When me and Axl would always talk about our favorite musicians and singers and guitar players… you know, whatever… We both love Elton John and everything like that. Whenever we talk about all the bands and musicians, Bon Scott was his… As far as singers go, he was, like, 'That was my guy.' So, for Axl, I'm sure he's beyond honored that he could actually… you know, he's gonna sing with the guys. It's like Ozzy playing with The Beatles, 'cause of Ozzy's love for John Lennon, and they're gonna ask him to sit in for John Lennon's parts. You know what I mean? Ozzy would be beyond… he'd be speechless. So, yeah, Axl's gonna be beyond honored, and I think it's gonna be awesome, 'cause, I mean, Axl loves that stuff. So in the meantime, until Brian gets better, I couldn't think of a better way to do it."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/zakk-wylde-on-axl-rose-fronting-acdc-i-couldnt-think-of-a-better-choice
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri May 12, 2023 7:23 pm

Fantastic work collecting these quotes, @Blackstar!
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76572

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat May 13, 2023 5:37 am

There is some more.

Interview with Mike Dean, bassist in Corrosion of Conformity; Eonmusic, May 2, 2016:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any thoughts on the Axl Rose fronted AC/DC?

AC/DC basically lost me about the time that Bon Scott died. Part of maybe two albums [featuring Brain Johnson] are pretty killer, and then I tolerate it because, come on, Malcolm Young, you know? But now you’re down Malcolm, so that’s kind of a hard blow to recover from, and then you want to add Axl? I mean, I understand you’ve got to finish the tour or whatever, and I can try to empthasise with the position. Don’t get me wrong, the last three Guns ‘n’ Roses records, I never really appreciated them at the time, but now they’re almost like a guilty pleasure. But you know, not all of the music that I enjoy is not necessarily created by people I would like to hang around with. *laughs*

https://www.eonmusic.co.uk/mike-dean-interview-2016.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat May 13, 2023 5:44 am

Talk Toomey Podcast/Blabbermouth, May 4, 2016:
----------------------------------------------------------

Angus Young Treated Brian Johnson's Exit From AC/DC 'Like Walmart Replacing A Cashier,' Says Jim Breuer

AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson's close friend, comedian Jim Breuer, says that the singer "came off classy" and the band's co-founding guitarist, Angus Young, "came off cold" when the announcement was made that AC/DC would reschedule shows without the vocalist.

The legendary Australian rock band postponed the last ten dates of its recent North American tour after doctors told Johnson he faced "total hearing loss." AC/DC has since announced that it will use GUNS N' ROSES singer Axl Rose as a "guest vocalist" when it resumes its tour this weekend, with Johnson apparently not returning to the band at all.

During an appearance on a recent edition of the "Talk Toomey" podcast (hear audio below),Breuer stated about Brian's exit from AC/DC: "As a fan, I will say I don't think he was treated well at all. At the end of the day, Brian is a huge, huge entity, and he is just [as much of] a part of AC/DC as the [Young] brothers, whether they wanna realize it or not. And as a fan, and I think I could speak for a lot of fans, it was a little awkward that, here's a man that's been with you for 36 years, he took you to a new stratosphere, he put you in the stratosphere. When you first heard 'Back In Black' and 'You Shook Me All Night Long', no one said, 'Wow, that Angus Young is amazing.' They went, 'Jesus! Who is this guy? How did this guy replace Bon [Scott]? How is this possible?' And to tour and to be part of that band, and after that long, you hear Brian's hearing is going and he can't really tour, me as a fan — and I think most fans — would think you'd see the band together in a press conference. And they [would be] all, like, 'We feel horrible for Brian here. We put so many years together. But Brian's gonna try to get help. And he's gonna come with us and introduce… And we're gonna look for a singer and we're gonna move on. But we all love Brian, and this is kind of a goodbye-to-Brian tour.' And to not see that and just read a headline that says 'We're replacing… looking for new singers,' and you don't hear anything from Brian until Axl is official… me personally, it's a little weird."

Breuer went on to say that, as a longtime fan who considers AC/DC to be his "all-time greatest band," he was "hurt… to watch just the way that was [handled]. I mean, you could have made a celebration. And it seemed like, at the end, when it was all said and done, Brian came off very classy, and Angus came off cold, like Walmart just replacing a cashier… like he's replacing a cashier. Which, again, that's right, but he needs to know his audience, and he needs to know how much love, time, investment and money we put into Brian Johnson. And he is a huge, huge voice and part of AC/DC and rock and roll, period."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/angus-young-treated-brian-johnsons-exit-from-acdc-like-walmart-replacing-a-cashier-says-jim-breuer
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat May 13, 2023 5:57 am

Jim Breuer had talked in length about Brian Johnson's alleged treatment by AC/DC on his podcast on March 15, 2016. CantonRep.com:
--------------------------------------------------------------

AC/DC's Johnson 'kicked to the curb'

AC/DC singer Brian Johnson was “kicked to the curb” according to Johnson’s friend and comedian Jim Breuer, after the 67-year-old frontman informed band co-founder Angus Young of his hearing condition.

Breuer informed listeners of AC/DC’s situation via his podcast, “The Metal In Me,” after recently spending time with Johnson following his March 11 show at Sarasota Florida’s McCurdy’s Comedy Theatre.

“(Brian) said that he called and let (AC/DC and Young) know, ‘Hey this is what the doctor said, but let’s try to figure this out. I don’t think it’s as bad as he said it is.’ Literally the next day in the press, it was ‘Brian Johnson, tour canceled, he’s losing his hearing.’ ”

A BITTER FAREWELL

According to Breuer, Johnson was optimistic about making up the dates on the band’s current U.S. tour and finishing as many remaining dates on the AC/DC itinerary as possible. Then his tour luggage showed up on his driveway.

“(Brian said) 'I would really like to finish and do some shows. I think we can knock this out.’ ” Breuer continued. “Then all his luggage that he toured with showed up at his driveway. There’s been no calls. No, ‘How’s your hearing? How’s your health?’ Boom. Here’s your (stuff), nice to know you.”

According to the band’s website, Johnson was “advised by doctors to stop touring immediately or risk total hearing loss.” The press release went on to state the remaining 10 U.S. dates of the band’s current “Rock or Bust” tour would be rescheduled later in the year and “likely with a guest vocalist.”

THE ‘RED FLAG’ DIAGNOSIS

Breuer explained that Johnson’s doctor informed the singer that he had lost a percentage of his hearing during the first run of the “Rock or Bust” tour during “open air” stadium shows, and it raised a “red flag” for the band’s eldest statesman.

“(The doctor said) ’Now you’re gonna go out and do indoor (shows)? I do not put my name on this. You’re a grown man. You make a decision, but I would not mess around with this at all,’ ” Breuer explained of the doctor’s diagnosis.

Johnson, who recently flew to London to attend the funeral of a close friend while on the road with the band, called AC/DC management and later spoke to Young to explain the situation.

“He said he just called and gave that information,” Breuer said. “He didn’t say he wanted to quit. He didn’t say he was done. He called with that information, and two days later, he read in the papers and heard on Twitter and everywhere else, ‘Brian Johnson going deaf canceling tour.’ A day later, and it was ‘Oh we’re gonna have guest singers.’ ”

HEARTBROKEN

Breuer said Johnson wasn’t upset about his hearing condition. He was heartbroken by the way he had been treated by the band he has fronted for 36 years. Johnson joined AC/DC in 1980 after the death of original singer, Bon Scott. He went on to co-write and record the vocals for the seminal album, “Back In Black,” which went on to become the second highest-selling record of all time. The group has released numerous albums and performed sold-out tours all over the world since and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003.

Breuer and Johnson became fast friends after the AC/DC frontman discovered the "Saturday Night Live" alum's impersonation of him. The pair recently co-wrote and co-sang a track, “Mr. Rock ’n’ Roll,” for the upcoming Jim Breuer and the Regulators album which is set for an April 29 release via Metal Blade Records. Johnson’s wife Brenda attended Breuer’s Sarasota show, and the singer expressed that he hoped Breuer would visit his home following the show.

“I went over the house,” Breuer said. “He was depressed. I’ve never seen him down before. He was upset that he feels like he kind of got kicked to the curb.”

“I said, ‘Don’t you talk to the band?’ ” Breuer continued. “He goes, ‘It’s not what you think, man.’ ”

“I can’t wrap my head around that,” Breuer said.

Johnson had a conversation with Young, albeit mostly one-sided, the day Breuer visited his home.

“(Brian) said, ‘I had a conversation with Angus,’ and he was just like, ‘He doesn’t speak. He doesn’t speak,’ “ Breuer explained.

As Johnson relayed his situation to Young and hoped to plan a future course of action, the guitarist merely replied, “Aye,” a number of times with no tangible response to what the singer was saying.

“(Brian said) ‘It sounds like you’re preoccupied. I just want to let you know, I’m here. I don’t know if I can do every show, but I’d really like to do whatever shows I can.’ ”

GUEST SINGER OR PERMANENT REPLACEMENT?

Breuer said Johnson senses he’s already been replaced.

“There’s been no answer (from the band),” Breuer said. “He feels like he heard from someone that they already hired somebody, it just hasn’t been announced yet.”

Breuer thinks that despite Johnson’s 36-year run with AC/DC, the iconic frontman still doesn’t truly feel like he’s truly part of the band — an idea that seems unfathomable to AC/DC fans including the comedian.

“I was like, ‘Brian, Angus is a monstrosity, but guess what? I’m watching you half the time as well. You are the face of the band with the hat and the way you sing. I think of AC/DC, and I think of you and Angus,’ ” Breuer told his friend.

“No offense to anyone else in the band, but I just think of Brian Johnson and Angus. I don’t think he believes that to a degree. It was a little weird hearing him talk like that. He always says, ‘I’m blessed, I’m blessed. Don’t get me wrong. I’m blessed. This is the greatest thing ever.’ But I don’t think (he feels like he’s part of the band). His wife talks with such pride. I don’t think he feels that he’s that important. Does that make sense? It’s really weird.”

FANS IN SHOCK

Since the announcement of a potential “guest singer,” many of the band’s followers have expressed shock and disappointment at the idea of an AC/DC without Johnson. It’s a sentiment Breuer shares for his friend.

“I’d hate to see (AC/DC) end like that,” he said. “Nobody wants to see them continue with a new guy. Why would you want to see them continue? Go out on top. Just take a break and go, ‘How do we want to do this?’ ”

Johnson gets the impression that the 60-year-old Young, seven years his junior, wants to see AC/DC continue for another decade. With his aforementioned hearing problems, it seems highly unlikely that Johnson will be part of that plan.

“(Brian) explained how Angus is the youngest guy in the band,” Breuer said. “He’s convinced Angus wants to continue the next 10 years whether it’s him or not. (Angus) wants to write another album and do one more tour. Who’s filling those shoes? How do you do that after 40 years? It’s just really weird.”

Breuer went on to reiterate Johnson’s position.

“(Brian) said it went from ’It’s canceled to ‘now we’re gonna do it, but it’s gonna be like karaoke with guest stars,’ ”

Johnson’s reply again: “I feel like I’ve just been kicked to the curb.”

https://eu.cantonrep.com/story/entertainment/local/2016/03/15/ac-dc-s-johnson-kicked/32389189007/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat May 13, 2023 6:01 am

De Standaard/Blabbermouth, May 3, 2016:

7,000 Belgian AC/DC Fans Request Ticket Refunds On Concert With Axl Rose

According to De Standaard, approximately 7,000 AC/DC fans who bought tickets to see the band perform on May 16 at Werchter Festivalpark in Werchter, Belgium have requested to get their money back because they don't want to watch Axl Rose on lead vocals. Live Nation, which is producing the show, said that the disappointed fans had until Monday night (May 2) to claim a refund. The newly released seats were then first made available to those people who were previously on the waiting list for the event, with the remaining 6,000 tickets once again going on sale to the general public.

The show is one of twelve European dates AC/DC will perform with the Guns N' Roses frontman on lead vocals after Brian Johnson was ordered to stop touring or risk going deaf.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/7000-belgian-acdc-fans-request-ticket-refunds-on-concert-with-axl-rose
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat May 13, 2023 6:21 am

Blabbermouth, May 5, 2016:
---------------------------------

Creator Of In-Ear Device Says He Can Help Brian Johnson Get Back To Performing On Stage

Stephen Ambrose, an expert in the field of audio and the founder of Asius Technologies, says that he can help Brian Johnson return to the stage after the AC/DC frontman was forced to stop touring because doctors said he risked total hearing loss. [...]

While Ambrose admits to being "a big fan of Axl Rose's voice," having introduced Guns N' Roses to in-ear monitors in 1990, he says he agrees with The Who frontman Roger Daltrey in that he "really can't imagine anyone but [Johnson] singing 'Back In Black' — or any other part of the [AC/DC] show, for that matter."

Ambrose created the ADEL (Ambrose Diaphonic Ear Lens) technology to solve the 77% increase in hearing loss recently attributed to all personal listening devices. By utilizing a revolutionary second ear drum to take the pounding, ADEL technology absorbs the harmful pneumatic sound pressures caused by all personal listening devices and provides a much safer and higher fidelity listening experience for everyone. Formal studies conducted at Vanderbilt Medical Center confirmed that personal listening devices modified with ADEL technology sound louder at lower volumes than anything else on the market. ADEL delivers sound the way it was always meant to be heard — bass sounds deeper, midrange is clearer and highs sound richer than ever.

Ambrose says he hopes Johnson will consider utilizing this new technology to help him "return to the stage, and that, frankly, is something everyone really wants."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/creator-of-in-ear-device-says-he-can-help-brian-johnson-get-back-to-performing-on-stage
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat May 13, 2023 6:25 am

Metal Talk/Blabbermouth, May 5, 2016:

Udo Dirkschneider Would Have Considered Stepping In For Brian Johnson In AC/DC

Former Accept singer Udo Dirkschneider says that he would have considered fronting AC/DC if he had been asked to step in for Brian Johnson on the Australian band's upcoming tour.

In a brand new interview with MetalTalk.net, Dirkschneider confirmed that he had not been approached by AC/DC to fill in for Johnson on the upcoming shows, but added: "To be honest, I really was thinking about this. If they really called me [and asked me], it can maybe happen that I'd say, 'Yes, I'll do this.'"

Dirkschneider, whose band U.D.O. supported Guns N' Roses on some U.S. shows in 1988, also seemed to predict trouble when the Axl Rose-fronted version of AC/DC hits the road starting on May 7 in Lisbon, Portugal.

"I was on tour a long time in America with Guns N' Roses," he said with a smile. "We will see what's coming up. [Laughs]"

https://blabbermouth.net/news/udo-dirkschneider-would-have-considered-stepping-in-for-brian-johnson-in-acdc
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat May 13, 2023 6:36 am

Blabbermouth, May 10, 2016:
---------------------------------------

Corey Taylor: 'Who Are We To Decide When It's Time For AC/DC To Be Done?'

Slipknot and Stone Sour frontman Corey Taylor has weighed in on the strange situation regarding AC/DC and singer Brian Johnson. [...]

During the question-and-answer portion of his May 8 solo show at Koko in London, England, Taylor was asked to give his opinion on the Rose-AC/DC pairing. He responded (see video below): "That's an interesting question. You're not the only one to ask me that."

He continued: "There are several ways to look at that situation. There are AC/DC fans who are, like, 'You know what? I just wanna see them play for, like, the last eight, nine shows and then see what happens.' There are other people who are, like, 'Fuck that! I don't like the way they handled the whole Brian situation,' which I can totally see. However, none of us are behind the scenes. None of us know what's been going on. None of us know anything. And I learned that lesson with the Guns N' Roses thing. I mean, I'm talking about… I'm a huge Guns N' Roses fan. So when [the classic GN'R lineup] started to kind of come back together, I was, like, 'Meh.' But then, talking to some of them, I really saw the whole picture and was, like, 'Okay, I can get behind this.'"

Taylor went on to say: "So I don't know enough about what is going on behind the scenes [in the AC/DC camp]. I can certainly appreciate the fact that Angus wants to finish those shows. 'Cause here's the thing you've gotta understand: he's been doing gigs since he was 17 years old. He has been giving everything — and I mean everything he's fucking got — night after night after night after night for fucking fifty years.

"Who are we, who are we to decide when it's time for AC/DC to be done or not? Am I fucking right, or am I fucking right?"

Corey added: "Is it gonna be the same? No! Nothing's ever the same. I don't think it was the same after fucking Phil [Rudd, former AC/DC drummer] left. So it's never gonna be the same. You know what I'm saying?

"For me… The biggest bumout for me is that Malcolm won't be a part of those shows; that's the saddest part of that. I mean, I feel bad for Brian, as a singer, but the saddest part of that is that Malcolm won't be a part of those last eight shows, and he fucking should be. That man has written every fucking song they did. So that's me. That's me. I can go either way with it, but because I don't know a lot about it, I'm not gonna make any judgments."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/corey-taylor-who-are-we-to-decide-when-its-time-for-acdc-to-be-done
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next