APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2012.08.03 - Newsday - Interview with Slash

Go down

2012.08.03 - Newsday - Interview with Slash Empty 2012.08.03 - Newsday - Interview with Slash

Post by Blackstar Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:54 am

Slash plays the Paramount

By DAVID J. CRIBLEZ

When you see a top hat, three images typically come to mind -- W.C. Fields, Fred Astaire and Slash. The ex-Guns N' Roses guitarist has made a brand for himself outside of being Axl Rose's old sidekick.

The ax master -- born Saul Hudson -- recently released his second studio album, "Apocalyptic Love"; formed his own band; and is in the midst of an international tour which stops at the Paramount in Huntington Saturday night. Newsday recently spoke to the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer about the 25th anniversary of "Appetite for Destruction," working sober and why he clings to his top hat.

There was a lot of drama surrounding your Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction -- whether Axl Rose would show. Was that a bizarre experience?

Given the history of the band, it really doesn't seem that bizarre. Originally I didn't want to deal with it. It was a big, unanswered question up until the 11th hour. We made do with what we had, and it turned out to be a really cool experience.

You were recently awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. How did it feel to be recognized by yourself and not just for your old group?

It was flattering. I've spent a majority of my time on the streets of Hollywood. It was where I got my sensibility in the entertainment business. It was a fantasyland when I was a kid. To have a star bestowed upon me was a huge honor.

"Appetite for Destruction" is 25 years old. Does that blow your mind?

It doesn't seem like that long ago. The concept of a quarter of a century is crazy. It's become a very iconic record, and I'm proud of that. One of the most significant things about it is being considered a must-have for everybody's rock and roll collection.

What kind of impact did your sobriety have on your creativity?

Whenever you give up one vice, you tend to pick up another one. Fortunately for me, I've delved into playing and writing more than I ever did. Luckily it wasn't another bad vice that I had to shake myself loose of.

What kind of sound were you going for with this band -- something between Velvet Revolver and Guns N' Roses?

I wasn't going for anything in particular; I was just doing my thing. The difference between this and those other bands is that I was definitely the captain of the ship on this one. I got to do something the way I wanted to do it, without having to work within an equal democracy. But I still try to let everybody have as much input as possible. Creatively it's been an open experience.

Do promoters constantly push you for a Guns N' Roses reunion?

I think that time is sort of passed at this point, but there was a period where big wads of cash were shaking in our direction. I think the concept of getting the band back together based on money is not going to happen.

Is Velvet Revolver done, or will you search for a new singer?

The quest for a new singer is still ongoing. It's just very quiet because there's nothing much to say until you actually make a decision.

Is your top hat something you enjoy wearing, or do you think people just expect it?

I was very shy going onstage in front of people. I always kept my eyes closed. When the hat came along, I left comfortable in it, and that's still the case.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120815183738/http://newyork.newsday.com/news/region-state/slash-plays-the-paramount-1.3881422?qr=1
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85486

Back to top Go down