APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2012.05.DD - Walmart Soundcheck - Interview with Slash

Go down

2012.05.DD - Walmart Soundcheck - Interview with Slash Empty 2012.05.DD - Walmart Soundcheck - Interview with Slash

Post by Blackstar Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:17 am

About The Artist

"When it comes to rock 'n' roll delivery, the best way to do it is the same way that you would do it live, which is as spontaneous and in the moment as possible. That's how the record was done."

That's rock legend Slash telling Walmart Soundcheck the secret behind his new album 'Apocalyptic Love.' The former Guns N' Roses showman and guitar icon teams up with singer/songwriter Myles Kennedy on his second solo outing, a 13-song album that captures the definitive live band experience. Check out our exclusive set with Slash - and go pick up a copy of 'Apocalyptic Love' online and in Walmart stores nationwide.

-The Crew at Walmart Soundcheck

On His Advice To Rockers:

"It's hard for me to give advice except for just to be focused and smart and completely dedicated. You have to be very committed and stay on top."

On His New Album's Title:

"I didn't want to call it 'Slash Two.' 'Apocalyptic Love' was sort of this tongue-in-cheek subject that Myles [Kennedy] had come up with about love on the eve of the apocalypse, basically. I thought that would make a good title."

On The Magic Of Playing Live:

"Making a rock 'n' roll record where you're really depending on the dynamics between the musicians and the chemistry and the interaction is an integral part of what rock 'n' roll actually is."

On Embracing Technology:

"I never want to be seen as one of those guys that sounds like they're knocking the evolution of where technology is going. It's all great. You just can't lean on it; you can't make it a crutch. We take advantage of everything that's out there - but we use it sparingly and we use it in places where it doesn't affect the integrity of your band's performance."

Did You Know?

• Slash (real name Saul Hudson) is the former lead guitarist for Guns N' Roses. He is widely considered one of the world's greatest guitarists.

• He found worldwide success in the late '80s. As lead guitarist for Guns N' Roses, Slash has sold more than 100 million albums worldwide. His solo guitar on 'Sweet Child Of Mine' is considered one of the greatest rock riffs of all time.

• He co-founded Velvet Revolver in 2002. Slash played guitar in the hard rock band alongside Guns N' Roses members Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum, Wasted Youth's Dave Kushner, and Stone Temple Pilots vocalist Scott Weiland.

• He's performed alongside some of the world's greatest artists. Slash has collaborated with numerous legends, including Michael Jackson, Ray Charles, and Stevie Wonder.

• His new album is called 'Apocalyptic Love.' The record was recorded with a live band: vocalist Myles Kennedy, bassist Todd Kerns, and drummer Brent Fitz. Explains Slash: "Everything that you're hearing on the record is what actually happened at the time we were playing the song."

• 'Apocalyptic Love' is in stores now! Pick up a copy of the record online and in Walmart stores nationwide.

The Set List

Ghost
Slash's self-titled solo debut featured some big name performers, including Chris Cornell, Adam Levine, Fergie, Dave Grohl, Kid Rock, and Iggy Pop. Taking to the Walmart Soundcheck stage alongside vocalist Myles Kennedy, bassist Todd Kerns and drummer Brent Fitz, Slash performs the album's dynamic lead-off track: 'Ghost.' Sings Myles: "You can't run from the future / You can't change the past / Kill the ghost that hides in your soul."

Mean Bone
Slash fans will appreciate this selection from the rocker's side project, Slash's Snakepit. 'Mean Bone,' released in 2001, features a powerful riff from Slash and an equally impressive vocal performance from Myles Kennedy. Sings the Alter Bridge frontman: "If you think that I'm goin' soft / Here come some hard times."

Back From Cali
The second single from Slash's debut solo record is a bittersweet anthem about the dark clouds that line the Sunshine State. With lyrics that call out "faded lights" and "no heart," 'Back From Cali' is a cautionary tale about California in the fast lane: "I got to leave this angel city / But I can't do it by myself / So if you please, Mama / Can you save me?"

Standing In The Sun
A standout track from 'Apocalyptic Love' is the Myles Kennedy-penned tune 'Standing In The Sun.' Explains Myles: "I love 'Standing In The Sun' just because it's a great groove and it's got a really great vibe. There's just something about it. I'm just proud of that one."

Starlight
Explains Slash: "I had two songs [for 2010's 'Slash'] and I couldn't think who should sing these two songs. I contacted Myles and the first song that he sang was a song called 'Starlight.' I was completely floored when he sent that in. When he and I met we just hit it off right away - very down to earth and laid back, with this brilliant voice and great lyrics."

You're A Lie
Explains Slash: "One of the things about 'You're A Lie' is when you're dealing with people who turn out to be not exactly who you thought they were. Especially living in Los Angeles - I see it day in and day out. I came up with a concept of taking a girl who sort of represented the L.A. glamor scene and having her transform from this really cute attractive girl into something completely creepy."

https://web.archive.org/web/20120519133507/http://soundcheck.walmart.com/slash#
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 91078

Back to top Go down