APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2021.06.29 - Aftershocks TV - Interview with Gilby

Go down

2021.06.29 - Aftershocks TV - Interview with Gilby Empty 2021.06.29 - Aftershocks TV - Interview with Gilby

Post by Blackstar Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:22 pm

Excerpt from Ultimate Guitar:
-----------------------------------

During an appearance on Aftershocks TV, Gilby Clarke looked back on his 1991-1994 tenure in Guns N' Roses, remembering what it was like to replace Izzy Stradlin.

Gilby said:

"Even when I got the Guns N' Roses gig, I, in the beginning, kind of thought that I was just stepping in for Izzy. I don't think they really knew if Izzy was gonna be back or whatever.

"I kind of thought I was just stepping in and being a hired gun. But it was important to the band that I was a band member.

"Some of 'em may say differently now because it's convenient, but at that time, if you look in the tour books, the replacement member doesn't get pages of pictures and stuff.

"I was represented as a band member - on the records, on the tour programs, everything. That's something they made the choice of. I mean, I was happy to be both - it was such a great gig at the time.

"The thing about being the band member is - it's a lot of responsibility. You get the successes, but you get the failures. You get the other decisions of the business we don't all talk about - the lawyers, the agents, all that stuff that comes with it.

"So sometimes, after you've done it a few times, you have the luxury to say, 'I just wanna be the side guy. Just pay me. This is what I want. If you pay me what I want, I'm gonna shut my mouth and I'm gonna play guitar.'

"And I have done that because sometimes you respect the artist and you wanna do that. You go, 'You know what? Their ship is running straight. Let 'em do their thing. I'll just play guitar and contribute.'

"But sometimes you do wanna be part of that success; what you brought to the table is important.

"I'll never forget, even in the GN'R years, I have never had more lawyers - ever! - than when I was in that band. I used to say, 'Why do I have three lawyers on retainer to play guitar in a rock and roll band? I just play guitar. I don't even open my mouth.' [Laughs]

"So, what I'm saying is a lot of responsibility comes with that - if you are the band guy, and some guys get to a point where they go, 'Just pay me. The ship is running straight. You don't need me. I'll do my job, but you don't need my opinion about the other stuff.'"

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/gilby_clarke_speaks_on_how_guns_n_roses_treated_him_when_he_replaced_izzy_stradlin_talks_what_hell_never_forget.html

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87860

Back to top Go down