APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2021.02.22 - Action Figures - Interview with DJ Ashba

Go down

2021.02.22 - Action Figures - Interview with DJ Ashba Empty 2021.02.22 - Action Figures - Interview with DJ Ashba

Post by Blackstar Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:18 am

Excerpts from Ultimate Guitar:
--------------------------------------

DJ Ashba Says He Ended Up in GN'R Via Sharon Osbourne Connection, Speaks on How Axl Rose Behaved

During an appearance on Action Figures, Sixx:A.M. guitarist DJ Ashba looked back on his 2009-2015 tenure in Guns N' Roses, discussing how he ended up in the fold.

Asked if it's true that Sharon Osbourne introduced him to frontman Axl Rose, DJ replied (transcribed by UG):

"She introduced me to Axl - and I didn't know I was on Axl's radar, I had no idea. When I got a call, I got a call from Katie McNeil, she was my manager for many years - she called me, and I had a No. 1 song on the radio with Sixx:A.M. called 'Life Is Beautiful.'

"And we have just gotten off of - I believe it was Crue Fest, our song was No. 1, and I got a call, and she wanted to know if I wanted to try out for Guns N' Roses.

"I never thought I'd get it, but I was like, 'Yeah, I just want to go hang out with Axl.' We're both from Indiana, I've always had so much respect for him.

"So yeah, I went down there, tried out and I didn't know it, but I guessed Axl called management and said, 'If he even shows up, he has the gig.' I didn't even know I was on his radar.

"Axl has his ear close to the ground, he really knows what is going on and who's who - he's incredibly intelligent.

"Yeah, it was a big surprise to me, I didn't really know what I was stepping into - it was a huge surprise to me.

"I didn't really know what I was stepping into, it was a roller coaster from there. But we had the best time, it was just so much fun, debauchery, and just, you know, three-and-a-half-hour concerts, we went around the world several times, it was just so much fun playing.

"But even though I was doing that, I had a sense of accomplishment with Sixx:A.M. because it was something Sixx-Ashba-Michael, it was something I helped create. Beautiful Creatures - same thing, I helped create that thing.

"I remember the first time I was on a tour bus with BulletBoys - I felt like I made it, but in my heart I knew, 'Dude, this isn't your band, you didn't write these songs.'

"So in my heart, I was like, 'If I could ever get back to this point with a band that I helped write the songs,' and I did, I got back there with Beautiful Creatures.

"And we had our own bus, songs that I'd written, Warner Brothers, but it still wasn't enough. I was like, 'There has to be more. If I can get back there with less than five guys and do this again.'

"And I did it again with three guys, it was Sixx:A.M., and now I'm going to come back and do it with one."

It's pretty awesome to see the transition that you made in that leap and then going from, I think you joined Guns in '09?

"Yeah, we put out the Sixx:A.M. album in 2007, we were riding it in 2006, and I joined Guns in 2009."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/dj_ashba_says_he_ended_up_in_gnr_via_sharon_osbourne_connection_speaks_on_how_axl_rose_behaved.html

DJ Ashba Talks Why He Quit Guns N' Roses Even Though Axl Wanted Him on Reunion Tour With Slash & Duff

During an appearance on Action Figures, guitarist DJ Ashba looked back on parting ways with Guns N' Roses in 2015 following a six-year tenure.

The news of Ashba's departure was announced around the time of the group's reunion with Slash and Duff McKagan.

The musician commented:

"My thing is, it was really cool to get that call [about staying with the band for the 'Not In This Lifetime' tour], but on the other hand, I knew in my heart where I wanna go.

"I've never fooled myself. When I was in Guns, people would be like, 'Oh, you're in Guns N' Roses.' I've never been that guy that's 'formerly of' and try to cling on to an old band name that, really, I shouldn't be taking credit for - I've never been like that.

"If you go to any of my socials, you don't even see 'guitarist of Sixx: A.M.' because I never wanna live in the past. I'm so focused on where I'm going.

"There's a lot of people that do that, and there's nothing wrong with it - it's a legit credit I'll die with, but at the same time, I don't wanna live off of it. I wanna keep building. And I'm just getting started.

"That was a chapter in my life, and I'm starting a new chapter. So, to me, it's one of those things where I just wanna focus on where I'm going, and that makes me excited."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/dj_ashba_talks_why_he_quit_guns_n_roses_even_though_axl_wanted_him_on_reunion_tour_with_slash__duff.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 90377

Back to top Go down