APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2005.05.19 - The Charlotte Observer - Lock and Load (Slash)

Go down

2005.05.19 - The Charlotte Observer - Lock and Load (Slash) Empty 2005.05.19 - The Charlotte Observer - Lock and Load (Slash)

Post by Blackstar Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:46 am

Lock and load

By Courtney Devores

Out of the ashes of the nearly late, once-great Stone Temple Pilots and Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver emerged like a smoking gun -- a powerful combination that united, arguably, the best parts of their former bands.

Ex-GN'R members Slash, Duff McKagan, and Matt Sorum traded Axl Rose's tirades and debilitating perfectionism for STP's famous front man Scott Weiland's chronic drug problem. Once the slinky singer kicked his habit, chart domination was on.

VR's "Contraband," released last summer, sold 256,000 copies in its first week out, debuting at No. 1 on Billboard's Top 200.

Since then they've been spreading their down-and-dirty boogie and glittery glam sound all over the globe. They hit Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Sunday.

Guitarist Slash spoke with the Observer from Los Angeles in late April about pesky drug problems, being back on the road with former band mates and the chances of a GN'R reunion.

Q. What kind of expectations did you have for Velvet Revolver in the beginning?

When we first got together, it was such an explosive chemistry that happened. It was just enjoying each other's company on a personal and creative level. We were chomping at the bit to start doing shows, which is the whole reason we do what we do.

Q. Were you surprised about the Grammy award and making critics' best lists?

When you receive accolades like that, especially considering the obstacles we had to face to get the band from the garage to making an album, it was nice to be appreciated.

Q. You mention obstacles. How much of a hurdle was Scott's drug problem?

We've all been through it. It was one of the real bonding experiences that developed the rapport that this band has. We've all gone through the most extreme chemical abuse problems, battling that and getting a handle on it.

Hooking up with Scott at the tail end of his addiction and going through it with him, we just supported and rallied him. It gave us clarity about our own weaknesses.

Scott made a commitment to himself to want to do this project and to reestablish his relationship with his family and get his ---- together and get out of this abyss that he was in. He basically did it on his own. When you've got the right elements to make a concoction that works, being Velvet Revolver, those kind of superficial problems aren't that big a deal.

Q. How does this second ride of sorts compare to your experience with Guns N' Roses?

This band is really unique in the sense that we've all been around the block enough times in what you'd consider successful bands. We started out when we were really young and we've loved it since we first picked up instruments. That genuine passion for it has never been tainted. The energy is the same, but we have the experience. That combination is rare.

There are a lot of similarities just because it's a rock 'n' roll band, but we're on a different plateau at this point because we know how it works and we're probably a little more coherent at this point.

Q. Bands you grew up with who said they'd never reunite are doing reunion tours now. Do you think Guns N' Roses will ever do a reunion tour?

Everybody asks me that. I left Guns N' Roses in '96, six years before this band started. And never in a million years gave that a thought. So at this point, it's almost insulting.

Q. What's it like being with Duff and Matt again? You don't get nostalgic?

It's nothing like what it was, even though we've been friends the whole time. It doesn't remind me at all of back in the day. I never have those moments of déjà vu onstage or hanging out with Duff in the dressing room. It has a lot to do with how we all interact because there are guys in the band I hadn't played with before.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 90377

Back to top Go down