APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2005.01.21 - The Sun - Rock On... Slash Is A Guitar Legend

Go down

2005.01.21 - The Sun - Rock On... Slash Is A Guitar Legend Empty 2005.01.21 - The Sun - Rock On... Slash Is A Guitar Legend

Post by Blackstar Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:37 pm

Rock on ... Slash is a guitar legend

Velvet Revolver may have sold two million copies of their debut album Contraband but for them rock ‘n’ roll is more than just a job or a hobby - it’s what’s keeping them alive. It’s especially true for former Guns N’ Roses axeman Slash, who beat a heroin addiction.

Now appearing with Velvet Revolver, the legendary guitarist says his love of playing live music helped him get through the bad times. And the 39-year-old star even credits the doctor who resuscitated him on Contraband's sleeve notes. Slash told us: “I’ve had a lot of near-death moments. There was one time when they told me I had anywhere from three days to three months to live. And Dr Cannom was the guy who pulled me through - he literally kept me from dying.Then after that it was up to me to choose how I was going to live my life."

“Everyone in the band has been through so much with the whole drugs thing and had a lot of hardships as a result of it, that it’s just old now and a pain in the arse. We all have our individual battle scars, but we’ve made a decision to straighten up and do this. I find it hard to express what a strong energy source music has been. The music is what’s kept us all alive.”

Survivor ... rock star got back from the brink

Revolver's second guitarist Dave Kushner added: "We feel like five little soldiers who all got their
arses shot off at different points and ended up in the same place. Each of us is at a different point in his life and has found a different way to survive."

Velvet Revolver formed when Slash got back together with ex-Gunners bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Matt Sorum for a benefit gig after their friend Randy Castillo died in 2002. They soon added Dave – who played with bands including Wasted Youth – and began a long Pop Idol style
search for a singer.

After spending nine months listening to thousands of tapes from “clowns” and wannabes their first choice vocalist Scott Weiland left his band, the Stone Temple Pilots, and the final piece of the jigsaw fell into place. The band has now earned three Grammy Award nominations and Contraband has spawned USA No1 rock singles Slither and Fall To Pieces.

Slash said: “We assumed that the majority of our audience would be Guns N’ Roses and Stone Temple Pilots fans. But it turned out to be something completely different – and I’d say most of our fans are new and don’t know much about the groups we used to be in.

“It’s really elating to see all these kids experiencing what I would consider a genuine rock ‘n’ roll band for the very first time. Everybody had to go through a lot of stuff to get to this point, we’ve had the crap beat out of us. But at the moment we’re all doing great and there are no drugs in the band.”

Rock 'n' roll ... music keeps him going

And with four of Velvet Revolver now married – Slash has two sons London, two, and Cash, seven months – the guitarist told us that it’s not just drugs that are off the agenda. Guns N’ Roses were famous for their nocturnal activities – with Slash once boasting of block-booking hotel rooms after gigs for groupies. But now the star says the only girl he sleeps with is wife Perla.

He said: “Matt’s the only single guy in the band, so he’s having the fun for all of us. I was thinking the other day: ‘Matt’s got these two chicks. Maybe I’ll just go and sit in his room and watch. That way you get the pleasure without the guilt!"

“The interesting thing is I’ve been so reckless throughout my entire career, to the point that it’s
amazing I’m still alive. It was a mess – I spent most of my money on gear and drugs. I p****d money away like it was f***ing water."

“Then suddenly you have kids and you realise you have responsibilities and that’s what’s new and
different for me. Now the cheque comes in and it has a purpose – not just to buy rounds for everybody in the club.”

But drinking is one vice Slash admits he hasn’t been able to give up. The star - whose real name is Saul Hudson - was born in Stoke-on-Trent but left the UK when he was very young and has only returned to city once since.

He told us: “When my dad moved to America, he didn’t get along with his dad at all and severed all ties with his British family. It wasn’t until Guns N’ Roses were playing Wembley that I got a phone call from a guy saying he was my dad’s brother. It really was him, so the whole family came backstage at the Wembley gig.

“You can only imagine how much booze Guns N’ Roses carried on the road. But when we came off stage we’d been completely cleaned out of anything with alcohol in it. I figure it runs in the family.”

Dave added: “Duff’s family did the same thing. So all Slash and Duff’s old excesses can be traced back to good family genes.”
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 88096

Back to top Go down