APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1987.12.DD - Hard Force (France) - Interim Drummer: Coury

2 posters

Go down

1987.12.DD - Hard Force (France) - Interim Drummer: Coury Empty 1987.12.DD - Hard Force (France) - Interim Drummer: Coury

Post by Blackstar Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:25 am

As reprinted in the 1994 Hard Force GN'R special issue (hors-serie). Big thanks to @gnr* for scanning all 100 (!) pages of the issue and posting them here:
https://www.a-4-d.com/t4986-1994-01-dd-hard-force-france-hors-serie-gn-r-issue

---------------------

1987.12.DD - Hard Force (France) - Interim Drummer: Coury P241010
1987.12.DD - Hard Force (France) - Interim Drummer: Coury P251010

Translation:
--------------

Interview: Del James/Intervision
Originally published in Hard Force © 1987

INTERIM DRUMMER: COURY

The drummer of Cinderella, Fred Coury, will be one of the very few musicians to act as an interim in Guns N’ Roses, since he is replacing Steven Adler for a few concerts at the end of 1987. The Guns drummer broke his hand on a lamppost in Muskegon, Michigan after getting thrown out of a bar while being under the influence.

Fred: “It was really amazing. I literally had a blast!" Cinderella are not known to be big fans of parties and other celebrations, and yet...“I really needed it. I mean, Cinderella are a pretty wild and goofy band when they're on the road, but when they come home they have their little families and want to stay home. With the Guns N’ Roses guys it's a non-stop party!"

Fred first met Guns N’ Roses during one of their East Coast tours, just before they opened for Motley Crue. Fred attended several of their shows. "It was quite special, because I loved this band since the first time I listened to them and I had a tendency to share their music with everyone around me. These guys became my friends very quickly. I had just met them once; two weeks later, it was my birthday and they were playing in Philadelphia. They interrupted their show and asked me to go up on stage. Actually, the exact words were, ‘Is Fred Coury here? You’d better get your ass on stage or this show isn't gonna last long.’ So I walked out of the crowd and climbed on stage, and there was a big cake. As you can guess, I slipped and fell all over it. It was fun and we became friends right away for many reasons.”

The friendship between them was instantaneous. But how did it get to this musical collaboration? Fred remembers: "Doug Goldstein, who is Guns N’ Roses’ tour manager, called me on the phone one night around 3:00 in the morning and said, ‘What are you doing currently? Are you busy with Cinderella?’ I told him I wasn’t until April, since I had finished the drum parts for the new album. I had the song ‘Welcome to the Jungle’ on my answering machine - I had it since the album came out. Eventually, I got a message saying, ‘It's Doug. Call me and learn how to play the song that's on your answering machine.’ Then the guys from Guns contacted me and told me me that Steven had broken his hand. I was really happy to fill in, because it’s one of Cinderella’s favorite bands. So I called our manager, Larry Mazer, and then Tom Keifer, and asked them if they were okay with it. They agreed with no problem."

It must be quite tricky to replace a permanent drummer in a band. Besides, Adler seemed very bothered about not being able to hold his drum sticks when Guns came to Los Angeles, where they played four sold-out shows at Perkins Palace. So maybe there was a bit of animosity between Fred and Steven? Or did Steven help Fred during the shows?

"Steven was amazing! He was there to tell me what parts to play and to direct me like a coach on a football team. He was always by my side and if I needed anything during the show, I just had to look at him; he’d get it and air-drum the parts. He saw me as a friend and not as a guy who would come out of some studio with drum parts to play. I also had great support from all of the Guns members because they knew I was totally into their music. So I’m available to help them whenever they want."

Last edited by Blackstar on Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87081

Back to top Go down

1987.12.DD - Hard Force (France) - Interim Drummer: Coury Empty Re: 1987.12.DD - Hard Force (France) - Interim Drummer: Coury

Post by Blackstar Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:27 am

The interview was conducted by Del James, so it either was originally published in a U.S. magazine or it was a "syndicated" interview that was distributed to different publications.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87081

Back to top Go down

1987.12.DD - Hard Force (France) - Interim Drummer: Coury Empty Re: 1987.12.DD - Hard Force (France) - Interim Drummer: Coury

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:17 pm

Perfect. I always assumed this incident took place is Muskegon, and now it is confirmed.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76581

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down