APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

07. 1987: APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

07. 1987: APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION - Page 2 Empty Re: 07. 1987: APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION

Post by Soulmonster Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:25 am

JULY 1987
ACOUSTIC SESSIONS

We're going into the studio tonight for a four-day rush job. We're gonna try and cut four acoustic songs for the other side of the Live Like a Suicide Ep we're gonna re-release.

After returning home from England after having played at the Marquee and before going on tour with the Cult (so in July 1987) [Kerrang! August 20, 1987], the band spent 72 hours at Take One Studios in Los Angeles [Kerrang! August 20, 1987] to record some acoustic songs originally intended to be used for "B-sides or whatever" [Duff's biography]. According to Axl, they "wrote some of the songs during or before the recording of Appetite and revised them until we felt they were strong enough to put out" [RIP, April 1989].

The new acoustic songs included 'Patience' and 'One In A Million' [Duff's biography]. In a Kerrang! article from August 1988, where it seems the interviewer had talked to Axl, the songs they recorded were listed as "'You're Crazy', 'Patience', 'One In A Million (Police Niggers)' and 'Corn Chucker'" [Kerrang! August 20, 1988]. And in an interview from the very same day the acoustic sessions started, the songs to be recorded were "'You're Crazy,' 'Move to the City,' 'One in a Million' and 'I Used to Love Her, But I Had to Kill Her'" [Circus, July 31, 1988].

Originally, the plan had been to record some, presumably, electric songs and use them for B-sides for songs off Live?!*@ Like A Suicide in an extended version of the EP:

We've recorded these tracks for future use, either as a separate 72"EP, or else to be put on the B-sides of forthcoming singles.

But we’re going back to L.A. to record three or four more live tracks for the B sides of singles. Geffen will then reissue the LP "Live?!*@ Like A Suicide" in another form. So we’re going to remix it, and there’ll be one side with the four songs, which will have the title of the mini-LP; the other side will have live B sides and will be titled "The Sex, The Drug, The Violence, The Shocking Truth!" There’ll actually be two front covers for the same mini-LP.
Hard Force [French], October 1987; translated from French

Mike Clink would briefly describe the recording session:

Only a few months before they would release these tracks on an EP, the band didn't know exactly what to do with these songs they had recorded. Steven thought they would be put out on an album with "some real surprises: songs that you'd never expect us to do. There's one about 15 minutes long with strings, synthesizers, piano, and a lot of big drums" [Superstar Facts & Pix, No. 16, 1988], obviously thinking that this album would also include the song 'November Rain'. As it turned out, the band did not include 'November Rain' and decided to put the songs out on an EP instead.

In June 1988, Axl would describe the plan in detail:

Well, it's something we always planned on doing. We always planned on releasing an acoustic thing and when the record [=Appetite for Destruction] starts to die off, it will do good for us there, financially, and keeping the buzz going about Guns N' Roses, while we take the time to make the next record. Also, it's a way to get out certain things that we don't necessarily want to put on our albums.

We've got so many other things we want to put on the record, so this gives us a way to get rid of excess material. Like we did the live thing, now we want to do an acoustic thing, and stuff like that, and so we don't have to spend like $50,000 dollars to go in and record this thing. This way we can get out a lot more of our material and I think it will help make us... with the EP, the record, and then the new EP, that will be like having two records out. So, that will give us a lot stronger base quicker. There will be a lot of stuff for people to pick from, in a lot less time than it would take to release three albums.

In the same interview, Axl would imply that the acoustic songs came out at the end of an electric recording for Appetite for Destruction:

[Being asked what is happening with their planned EP]: That's what we're doing next week. We've just been recording, and we might even leave it intact, as it is, or use it as a B-side. When we went into the studio initially, to do some test tracks and lay down some songs and see what we had together, we had about 27 songs together when Geffen first signed us. So we went in, laid that down, and we were in there for like two days, and at the end of the second day we just got into an acoustic jam.

Axl and Izzy would talk more about the acoustic EP:

Well, it’s a lot rougher than we in­tended it to be, and that’s because we didn’t spend a lot of time on it.
Rock Scene, December 1989; interview from May 5, 1988

We've already recorded another EP. We did it all in one night.

[Talking about the songs they recorded]: 'Patience,' "I Used to Love Her But I Had to Kill Her,' the original version of 'You're Crazy,' done slow and acoustically, with maracas, tambourines, congas. It's heavy in its own way. There's a song called One in a Million,' about living in L.A..

We recorded the new tracks at the Record Plant recording studio off Sunset by Paramount Studios. The entire process was done over a single weekend.
Steven's biography, "My Appetite for Destruction", 2010, page 176

And when it would be released:

Hopefully next fall. We'll probably rerelease the first EP and this'll be the flip side. At this time it's called The Sex, the Drugs, the Violence, the Shocking Truth. I don't know what that has to do with the record but we love the title.

Duff would elaborate:

The acoustic stuff we did in like, a day, right. So, I mean, we didn't... It wasn't a huge project or anything like that. It's just, I think, to show another side of the band, sort of. And also, you know, our next album is not gonna be out for a while. So, there's a huge void space then we'd like to fill in a bit.

Slash, though, would be unsure of what would be next:

We still haven’t decided exactly what to do next time, but we have thought about doing some acoustic stuff. For those fans who don’t know, we like to play acoustic sets every now and then when we get the chance. We do those when we have in-store record signings and things like that, and people really get off on it. Maybe it would be too radical a departure from what people now expect after Appetite For Destruction, but we kind of like keeping everyone a little off balance. If we can keep doing that, we’ll be around for a long, long time.

Eventually, though, the acoustic songs ¨'Patience', 'Used To Love Her', 'One In A Million' and 'You're Crazy' would be bundled together with the electric songs off Live Like A Suicide and released in November 1988 [see later chapter]. 'Cornchucker' would never be released.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Stage manager

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 69644

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2