APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1988-MM-DD - Interview with Duff and Steven

Go down

1988-MM-DD - Interview with Duff and Steven Empty 1988-MM-DD - Interview with Duff and Steven

Post by Soulmonster Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:05 pm

Transcript:

press it ap yeah well the latest one nice it's kind of daring in that you featured some of the earlier recordings along with a lot of acoustic good ok what what it's all about is there's nothing really daring about it just because what are we daring I mean Julie you could have stuck for the same formula yeah actually didn't we tell the mind or a but that's what also the EP is is just bonding between two two album this time yeah it's just for the fans you know and that we saw it like the live stuff the earlier stuff being sold now because it was a limited release being sold in LA for 150 bucks a copy which is ridiculous what fan of ours can afford that so we released that and put out this new stuff this is just another side to us and we we do play sometimes acoustic we do acoustic shows so and the daring part of we've never really kind of clung to the commercial I mean we've never clung to that road that like Whitesnake say or something like that would take right yeah feel compelled and all liked it and I mean after you the first dogs it so well to take a lot of time put together a really slick package you kind of go out there and know double the success in the first dog and I feel the pressure you do that to me no we did all of this and ours yeah just we sit around when we get we're at home together they drink and you know we have bongos and and tambourines and all kinds of percussion stuff or Cousteau guitars we sit around at home in this you know get drunk and write stuffs or save this one record some stuff maybe their kids might like it yeah so that we just did it in like two days we recorded that with that this is not our next album you know I must clarify that it's just an in-between the next time where you start recording for January that's what we were going to take a lot of time loves okay yeah yeah so yeah this is just how do I where'd this too so I can tell it's just I don't wanna say it's filler because it's not but it's just in between the two records it's a different side of us told us over till dinner yeah exactly it's a snack yeah well it says something we want out for ourselves it's for the kids in the fans but this is something you know we're hanging out and we hadn't that no gays nothing up and you know we were hanging around hey that's just do something I'll go in the studio and record it's nice if I'm like a little taped act like this loser this morning do it see what happens easy that's what happened when impressed by the acoustics are in the album I thought it was something that it was possible because you guys had kind of maturing you've matured the point where you can make something like that but actually that's what the band's been all about that's how songs are written and exactly so now we have come to the point where the industry were accepted now in the industry something we actually despise but we can do the success that we have gotten we can do really what we want to do now you know and which is both sides you know acoustic stuff you know I'm sure kids are interested if they're interested in the album they're gonna be interested in some acoustic stuff and how the songs are written and all that and it's just you know it's not to be taken seriously it's really fun it's just there's just a good time you so you hang out drink and play thank you The Beatles second album will lose some of the new talent in to the first Motel now we got in there sod or not settling in on the nail a little then within a little thin kinds there's gonna be all kinds of stuff again the success and the respect that we've gotten from the industry and from our company we'll just give us more time and more of ourselves to put into the next record you know we'll be able to write like the first one it was rust and while these guys ain't shit they gonna do shit you know and blah blah so and so we were kind of rust in a way mentally and physically realize going on tour yeah it was on my side of it I am as a drummer I'm very lucky to play and know my bands because they're all exceptionally well players and I doubt very very much that anything that we put out can be what we bad because my I'm like I said as a drummer I'm lucky to have a great band this is if they can't do nothing wrong what exactly was the you saying that you put out this this album this most recent one just to kind of keep the fans happy until the next one comes out the real simple no just because we wanted to do it yeah it's gonna be a while I mean you got to realize that the Appetite for Destruction album came out July 1987 okay now it's almost 1989 we're not gonna have the next record out until next summer or late spring so that's a long time well another reason for that that record really wasn't realized by the world until last just five months ago you know but but we have our hardcore following it's kids who have followed the record since it came out so that's a long time for them to wait for another record so you know you want to get that you know let's let's give them something and return the favor and also like I said again it just shows another side to the ban that's good to turn the favor and Smith Jemima originally Pete wasn't like a suicide and this did you already sign with different than that was yes we had already signed with them but it was gonna be a while tell again it was the same type of thing but on this way smaller level okay we had at all this press and everything even be way before we got signed and uh so we could foresee that we couldn't get the record out for a while okay took us from when we got signed which was made use him god no I know it was basic it was May of 86 so it took us over a year to money get the record up okay so that's a long break in so local level and on it I know I know it takes you a while to figure that out it's true that Wow so we've just went in it was the same type of thing on a smaller level that's what we're doing now you know so we put out the live like a suicide we just went in and did it and it was out you know we put no time time into it you know it our money but we just wanted something of some what kind of cool quality you know to give to the you know our fans and you yeah you know so it's just and then we got signed and we can put out the record and then you reach another plateau and then you put out that this EP we just did and then now we're gonna go you know well this is the last of our touring we're doing for appetite oh yeah yeah you just wanted to kind of get something ready and put it out back then it's back in 86 yeah and what the the complete and most efficient means of doing listing record a live album yeah yeah it was I mean yeah it was just quick let's recorded its out yeah why don't you the students you do monthly just to do it just he's in how many people come out with the live Edie yeah you know and also I mean so we were live in we were like that too yeah we play much better live and we put more more of us comes out when we're playing for the kids and seeing people the lights more comes out than am interested in a studio it's the guy here at the headphones and the guy in a booth is yelling at shit oh you know it starts as I hate let's go out give it all we've got and I'll record it let's go so it was easy bass again we gave the world look we're about huh yeah we just wanted to show hey this is what we're about this is what we do you like it you don't like it that's that's the way we've always been you don't like it you know like it doesn't matter and I mean people we can't win it to to to make our record we didn't we didn't really care money has never been an objective of this band I mean we come from having absolutely no money you know not just not to sound but we were a rock and roll band that instead of like it's just how do I explain I mean there's formulate advance to try to do what what they proceeded how they can be successful and they dress the right way and they do this and that that was another never an objective our objective was to make a good album and kick ass life you know dude right in our sets every night are completely different you know you go see every band you know and his rap the singers rap will be the same thing every night are you in the first row you know you've got big tits and that reminds me of this next song huh every night's the same thing this shows that the bomb explodes and then we had one bomb explode on us once it wasn't we didn't we we're doing you've rented there's no the guys I'm on the crew and their turn with them scared to share that shit out of me too everybody was like the first song is so easy and it comes to near boom tchau tchau oh and my wants everybody in my home everything her been standing up front they I one leap word all the way behind me it was it was the last show they look to us yeah Oh everyone I love it yeah no they're too but everything is weird our gigs every night we've never had a gig with the same set we just have a list I've been trying to do with just a guideline of songs we have well Axl go into a wrap everybody feels however would feeling that night or whatever goes sometimes we'll just play off slow songs shit it's different so I mean I am never be the same oh yeah right what insecurity well great here I'd like a suicide with okay what was on the label was easy there's our own life okay you're on there right right didn't use yes I'll get the distributed it give me yeah yeah okay which is also a thing that is some gherkin hung up on it it's kind of cool for us to so now in the very beginning we've established our own label so like we can do all kinds of shit with that now and again and will and Warner Brothers we will distribute it as far as like slash wants to make this this splash aerobics tape they distribute on Lucy Liu Xun site and it stand with a bunch of guys right fat guys drinkin beer sitting on the lazy boy recliner and the eruptive should see another 12-ounce curl and then you know you got that you got that your TV breaks down and then and then fix that lady will come in it wasn't some lady with a like a short miniskirt and she'll be bending over looking you know fixing the TV and then the next step in our slash aerobics is oh the old woman ah so you're looking at their dress uh-huh feels to your left so lady will come yeah yeah so you know and you want to do it who's you suicide you know and we have a lot of friends in LA who promising bands in this net and we can put them on hoozy suicide so it just opens up a lot of you know avenues for a lot of shit we we would like to get into now you know friends of ours and your friends and helping you and all that know how that song came about patients I'm just gonna come about Natchez and a finger food uh okay dizzy Brett written it's funny there's actually two different versions of that song is he wrote the diverse no Dan yeah and then I wrote the part that goes at the end little patience yeah okay so that came together like that and we had it know is that we never really rehearsed it we just kind of just started playing it live yeah we never rehearsed I don't know where it does I mean I'll sudden like every second we're gonna parties kind of plane to review engine right live I ever gonna say we never know what we're gonna play announcer says well there's just one call patience and we're all uh and they just play it whatever happen happen spontaneous there and then there's another version that I have of it did I stop 8-track recorder and you know it's the patience that's on that is about a girl and it's real sweet and nice and that I have another version of it that's actually kind of whatever they're not it's more of a comedy thing you know and it's when I lived in this apartment with these people that were doing drugs and shit and this like you sit there and it's kind of comedic you know but it's like you're sitting there you know it's just need a little patience and roommate takes a shit he forgets to flush it all you need is a little patience yeah Tommy is my mental I need to talk to you to this letter this is our this is my mentor here Tom Mayhew I'm stage manager in god-sent but yeah yeah that song just came together and the only way we rehearsed it was actually look let's play it live and that's okay by me we're just maybe we wrote it slash Stephen Izzy myself in a rehearsal studio one day but we only rehearse it like one soon so that's what I think you know and then the next time we played it was many live in front of 20,000 people so that's the way we actually do a lot of shit like under pressure you thrive get kind of antsy about doing something that subdued that made back well we all have all kinds of different moods it's like everybody else you know sometimes it's a better are hyper works that is like it I think it's just one side of the Bandit you know the audience had not been expecting this acoustic back side wait a lot of some of the songs on it on right now appetite or rent acoustically mmm-hmm dude we're just sitting around you know we all live together just in the round jamming nobody got the and it just comes up no and then we're going to studio and we'll see that's you know slash will come in and he'll be off you're crazy and so you're kind of hired Fredo plug electric guitar you know play a slow song you know this was acoustic bass real nice and still but then you know play it's real crazy wow that sounds cool so then what does it will work out like that sounds good yes it sounds obvious it take yeah exactly I know a lot of a lot of the songs were just first takes yeah yeah thanks reach out we play it once different one time I'll never forget I was on the phone with this girl she I was going out with she hated me and I was bummed she hung the phone up on me tough crowd says come on we got a play we got a player I'm uncle dressed and sad and we go in and we play it my name I fucked up on it either but it just had it just worked me feel was there that's why I mean it's not what's always a sweet child oh we did it once we played it once industry so we give it one tape one tape that's it one time we play Oh a lot of our lives I mean it's not there it's not like like Def Leppard everything's you know with the meter and everything's perfect our songs are perfect yeah I figured the reason the kids really liked it exactly because it's not perfect it's really the only sorry took a long time was was uh it's so nice did that take a moment amazing they're not the simplest song of this fabulous on the first thing we did I thought was great and they didn't like it we played it like no we didn't do a fifty problem gang examine it alive I don't think whether it was alive because I covered this it's a real mess of trend in the studio like the most fucking weirdest intricate song maybe you'd fucking just get it like that because and then one day it's a little mental thing you know and then the simplest song is this fuck up on yeah I pumped up on a lot just that once I everything else is off first second third tapes hmm I know that was only one like it's do the easier something is the more distracting you yeah yeah you dig in I mean the perfect way to think of this dig in mentally can actually just fucking and you actually liked it yeah you know you're like okay let's go so at the show we can expect you guys to blow with you and easier songs no no I see the show would blow every summer stays under the fielders every one of them but it also comes together sometimes well you were only human you know we're not perfect we don't play it you know what Shane's or anything we just go out there do our thing there was actually a fight and I try so hard not to fuck up because I got Tommy right behind me I got a big slap coming so I I tried very hard because he's right there with his fists he dips it a little bit of water he said once I fuck up yeah yes see because I know what's gonna happen by that there was a perfect quote actually from that role in his Rolling Stone article I what was it erratic erratic gave life that that cannot go from brilliant to terrible within what's we in a song that's that's actually that's why I guess I guess it we're reasons things are going so well for us is because we're real it's it's entitlement it's not planned out so loosen breathe yeah yeah what happens how we feel whatever goes down it happens nothing's perfect always having one show every night if you like fucking happen nine-to-five job being a computer programmer there's something just you know every day you're doing the same thing and doing a gig like that we just yeah that's that's not him you know I like Tom okay push the button you know how this sit that I don't even have to play Tom Poston bar I know I don't work that way this is we got that and falls out that being the vocalist excellent has to kind of take care of his pipes there I think you kind of screw up on what's very easily I'm gonna do boys going I mean the band really can't perform no we could the band can always perform but it's safe does not it's just not the same without him out there you know I mean make sure life to it always get him home on time he doesn't he he does he doesn't party with if that's what you mean who doesn't yeah thanks Carol it takes care of himself actually I interviewed him Oh phoning us master February we're saying that you know he coming in charge of taking care of you guys where's my try to keep you guys in order all right yeah he's just there every day taking care of keep these guys busy 24 hours a day they go ahead and all the time if anybody takes care of us it's this man right here well guess wrong we love Axl we always want assist away but we're all boys we could take care of herself that's incorrect I'd say that's a crock about that big you're like the one sitting on top of the melting pot on Melrose no he was a laughing what he said that or nothing and he was saying it I'm facetious me I mean but I think what he meant was also he was certainly he had a vision you know I have a vision when you guys were recording appetizer instruction since you've been caught on one day that listening to tapes you it was outside the studio I forgot with a couple yeah I forgot who was but he said you guys were listened to in Austin why don't you guys sent him and that's like I can see what you meant now but this is what you had in mind for us all the time no no it's no combat oh wait no no no how are the happy gay they suck a dick for Jesus maybe that's what we said so I think I think it was trying to give you the corn over the phone at the time you guys are still kind of waving around the middle of the charts there without any real sign of going up that far so when I record out their deaths and I don't feel the same anymore man this is my lens tour right here okay this is the main manager Stevens drugs thanks to knit and Steven Lee stage manager I'm his father he's my mentor he is my idol I do look up to him you're not a respected more anything okay where's that cocking or documents door against dark image or the nicest bunch of kids I've ever met in my life they're they're all very special about their jobs love the jobs there'll always be my blowjob every night hey listen everybody pretty much takes care of their own thing mm-hmm you know never had the rock star attitude with this actually could you've mentioned this spontaneously because this is part of the question actually he was saying that the mass media has portrayed the band as a bunch of bad boys and like on the verge of self-destruction in any minute that it's not nice after the case then well we can be super bad guys occasional yeah I mean get a little lick there it's not a situation where like it runs like clockwork and everything only done you know it's definitely freeform you want to roll but that's all about it really is what it's all about anything I've never seen a band so happy ever you know everybody really as far as so there are things in the line though I mean the question was about like are you guys like kind of wavering a very thin line here to be honest at certain points and wavers I mean but with any personality when you got five different personalities trying to suck and do one thing and have one aim you're going to have wavering things and you know at that slide being are a contradiction though I think is part of their whole trip the Rolling Stone article you mentioned kind of mix out I'd be a psycho I mean I mean okay here's what they did it really must let us because they rip they set this guy off he brought less bother and can expect three fucking days with us day and night right he was asking questions about the music and this and that and which is the most important thing it's our music and what doesn't know the answers you guys said what what kind of observations of what songs were here at least he was really standoffish as far as socially or socially not really getting involved well you know these guys bunny bunny the woman right well we were trying to beat we fucking show them a great time we hung out and actually really became friends within those two days and we really believed he was going to focus on the music of the band so when the article comes out really was disappointed because he focused on the drinking and the fucking and the sake and I could almost see well he implied a serious mental problem wasn't mental lapses but I know what you're saying I think that he they're a little critical at times about the situation there's a I mean everybody's different I mean I've never met a group of guys like this in my life I worked for a lot of bands and they're they're interested in a lot of different things versus what another band would get me interested in you know I mean yeah absolutely get a blowjob isn't like that it's fucking definitely part of their life thank you fine as their kind of the bag not the most important I mean it's it's I was very obvious to me you think music yes most important yeah and these guys get bored good they like excitement they like to go out and do things oh shit they're all can see so it's like you know what it's like kind of let me let me try to think this up okay a powerful executive executive of the bank somebody comes into a to do an interview with him well it's this executive of Bank really likes to go to lunch he loves his work he loves that 12 to 1 okay so instead of focusing on his job which would they take to do the interview about they focused on how the fucker likes to go to lunch you know which has nothing to do with his fucking job he likes to go to lunch and that's cool he has the right to like to go to lunch but he's back at 1 o'clock to fucking do his fucking job mm-hm so kind of you know is that the second good analogy it's just that um you know the reason they write these things is to get the NAM musical side of it yeah I think the reason they write this shit I mean everybody's right that's all it's been written about us I see a non-musical it's just these guys fucking drink and do this in that one so does everybody out what you know everybody in the fucking world drinks almost you know so what you know so let's focus on the music you know that's what was promised to us and it's assumed that Guns & Roses is a set fixture of you guys I mean the band kind of all lost different changes a lot of different guys community now oh it was really Guns and Roses yeah you know way back and then when it did become Guns N'Roses no I mean I would be if there was or whatever fellas get the cord yeah you're a bad bass player and we're gonna push you into the corner it takes personalities and a certain way with each other to fucking make whether that's going to happen you can't just like bring fucking said we kicked Stevie out of the band you can't just bring fucking Tommy Aldridge in the band it's going to be the same right this one happened on him there's love there's a bond between these guys away back to cozy okay so you understand some stuff we're saying right okay so I know you didn't translate a lot of shit well you know we got like 45 minutes to do like a real interview so it's like if I were translate anything I'll just do it later you
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 77295

Back to top Go down