APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2000.11.DD - CMJ - Interview with Slash

Go down

2000.11.DD - CMJ - Interview with Slash Empty 2000.11.DD - CMJ - Interview with Slash

Post by Blackstar Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:33 am

Story by Amy Sciarretto

The soft-spoken Slash needs no introduction. Our interview was two hours late, but sometimes you gotta make concessions to a star whose music changed your life and the lives of just about every other kid in your generation. Slash's Snakepit just released Ain't Life Grand on Koch Records.

I saw Slash's Snakepit open for AC/DC in August. But I got there in the middle of the set because I forgot that arena shows run a tight ship and always start on time. We even start on time when we play in clubs. I think we've been late only one time; we were 15 minutes late because we couldn't get a flight in. We're antsy because we wanna play.

How long has Slash's Snakepit been in existence?

Oh shit, that's a hard question to answer. [Long pause.] The first one doesn't count.

Why doesn't the first incarnation count?

We had a bunch of guys together, and we recorded stuff and called it Snakepit because I had snakes. But I was still in Guns then; it wasn't a permanent thing. This one is a career move. This is everybody's individual fucking-let's-lock-arms-and-do-it. Not for myself, but every individual in the band was like, "We gotta make this thing happen." It took a year to get it all together.

Why is it called Slash's Snakepit?

It was originally supposed to be called just Snakepit, but Geffen wanted Slash's Snakepit; they figured it would sell more records. Then there was this all-chick band from San Diego that popped out of nowhere named Snakepit. I drove out there to meet them, and they didn't want to give up the name. They were all in college and one wanted to give us a blow job. I was like, "My problem is Snakepit. You need to come up with a name." And she was like, "I know. Let's go to the bathroom." They had a three-song demo and they copyrighted it.

Do you think a lot of your fans from Guns N' Roses are surfacing?

I think the only issue having to do with GN'R fans is all the fans that got fucked over because the band broke up -- and they didn't deserve all that. Under the circumstances, well, someone is out there fucking rocking. We do, more or less, what Guns... It's a sensitive issue. What Guns was best at -- hard rock and guitar playing -- that's what I do now. I don't wanna say anything bad about the other guys; they're doing their own thing. But as far as going out as hard rock band and doing it, we're the only ones that are doing it.

Am I asking too many GN'R questions?

I don't wanna talk about Guns N' Roses. That's boring.

Do you think there will ever be a reunion? Because, to me, it ain't GN'R unless it's Axl, Slash, Stephen, Duff and Izzy.

A reunion? I wouldn't do a Guns gig unless the entire original lineup was there and it would be one show -- yeah, cool. Reunion gigs are... What's the word I'm looking for? Uh, it's cliché. For me to quit anything is a big thing in and of itself. So when I quit, I quit. As far as I'm concerned, I quit when it was still cool -- [with] still some semblance of cool left. I did what I had to do. We just went in different directions.

------------
Source:
https://web.archive.org/web/20030130030400/http:/www.gnrunlimited.com/articles/cmj-11-00.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87860

Back to top Go down