APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1994.07.DD - Guitarist (France) - Guns In The Bag (Gilby)

Go down

1994.07.DD - Guitarist (France) - Guns In The Bag (Gilby) Empty 1994.07.DD - Guitarist (France) - Guns In The Bag (Gilby)

Post by Blackstar Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:15 pm

1994.07.DD - Guitarist (France) - Guns In The Bag (Gilby) 1994_074
1994.07.DD - Guitarist (France) - Guns In The Bag (Gilby) 1994_075

Translation by Blackstar:
------------------------------

GILBY CLARKE

Guns In The Bag

Even though the future of Guns n 'Roses remains uncertain, Gilby Clarke, the rhythm guitarist of the group, marks the summer with an amazing solo album, "Pawn Shop Guitars."

Olivier Galan

When did the idea of recording this solo album come up?

I had this project in mind long before I joined Guns n' Roses. In fact, most of the songs on Pawn Shop Guitars date from that period, which doesn’t have much to do with the music of Guns, even if it's still rock n' roll. I'm very happy with the result; Pawn Shop Guitars sounds exactly as I wanted it to.

Being in a band as big as Guns n' Roses must have opened some doors for you, right?

It would be stupid of me to deny that, but it can also put a lot of pressure on you; people inevitably expect a lot from you. But I decided to put this aspect aside and think only about the fun of making songs and sharing them. Guns n' Roses gives you complete freedom, of course as long as it doesn't interfere with the band's plans.

Who are the musicians playing with you on this album?

All the Guns members came to help me out - even Axl plays the piano and sings on a song. I think it gave them a good opportunity to get their heads together before they started writing the songs for the next album. Then there’s my friend Frank Black of the Pixies and Rob Affuso, the drummer in Skid Row, who also guest on the album. It's good to make a record like that, with friends.

Guns fans will be interested in this album...

Yeah, it happened with Duff's record. His album was really good and mine has to live up to it (laughs). I’m thinking about this now that the album is being released, but it didn’t even cross my mind when I was recording it. It was all pretty laid-back, a bit like being on vacation.

What equipment did you use to record Pawn Shop Guitars?

When I’m on stage with Guns I use Vox amplifiers to have a sound that complements that of Slash’s Marshalls, but in the studio I used a combination of three separate amps: a Fender Deluxe from 1963, a vox AC30 and a old Marshall 50 watts that I wouldn’t exchange for anything in the world, so it sounds good. My main guitar is a Zeimaitis which looks like a Les Paul, and I also have ESP Telecasters and Gibsons.

Are you thinking about going on a solo tour?

I would like to do it. I even considered putting together a touring band, but we started rehearsing with Guns n' Roses. We are working on the songs for the next album and I don't know if I’d have the chance to do a solo tour. (Between March, when Gilby Clarke granted us this interview, and July, the month when "Pawn Shop Guitars" comes out, the rumours about Guns N’ Roses breaking up have multiplied. Mere rumours or reality? To be continued... - Editor's note.) We'll see.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Back to top Go down