APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1994.11.25 - Arizona Daily Star - Ex-Guns N' Roses guitarist happy about solo album, tour (Gilby)

Go down

1994.11.25 - Arizona Daily Star - Ex-Guns N' Roses guitarist happy about solo album, tour (Gilby) Empty 1994.11.25 - Arizona Daily Star - Ex-Guns N' Roses guitarist happy about solo album, tour (Gilby)

Post by Blackstar Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:18 am

1994.11.25 - Arizona Daily Star - Ex-Guns N' Roses guitarist happy about solo album, tour (Gilby) 1994_122

Ex-Guns N' Roses guitarist happy about solo album, tour

By Gene Armstrong
The Arizona Daily Star

Although guitarist Gilby Clarke no longer is a member of Guns N' Roses, he's grateful for the opportunities made possible by his three-year stint with the mega-popular rock 'n' roll band.

Not the least of the benefits he's enjoyed is the release this summer of his debut solo album, "Pawnshop Guitars,'' and the accompanying concert tour that will bring him and his new backup band to Tucson for a gig on Monday night at The Rock.

In a recent telephone interview from his home in Los Angeles, Clarke said he probably would not have gotten the chance to make a solo album if he hadn't done a stint as second guitarist in Guns N' Roses.
"I know when Virgin Records signed me, it was because of the notoriety I had from GNR, but I had to prove myself on my own merits, and the merits of the record.

"And I think I have.''

Clarke said the suits at Virgin Records had faith in his record as an offbeat rock album and that they allowed him complete creative freedom.

"I didn't have to turn my record in until I considered it finished. They completely let me do my thing.''

His thing turns out to be a rowdy and fun record, an about-face from the overwrought Guns N' Roses style.

He incorporates various styles, from punk to slashing metal.

The lead single, "Cure Me . . . Or Kill Me,'' is a classic no-brakes rocker, as is the swaggering title track. "Black'' and "Johanna's Chopper'' use Beatles-style harmonies and psychedelic touches. "Tijuana Jail'' roams the outlaw punk turf of Social Distortion, and "Skin & Bones'' is a bluesy, semi-acoustic number.
Glam-rock touches, a la T. Rex and early David Bowie, also show up on "Let's Get Lost.''

Showing off his tastes and influences, Clarke includes two cover songs: the Rolling Stones' "Dead Flowers'' and the Clash's "Jail Guitar Doors.''

"I made a record that I would like to hear myself,'' he explained.

Among the guests on "Pawnshop Guitars'' are the other members of Guns N' Roses, Skid Row drummer Rob Affuso, former Pixies leader Frank Black and guitarist Waddy Wachtel, who produced the record.

Also on the album are the members of Clarke's current touring band, with whom he will play in Tucson: drummer Marc Danzeisen, guitarist Ryan Roxie and bassist Will Effertz.

Clarke said the sales of "Pawnshop Guitars'' are OK - he was unable to cite actual figures - but nothing near the millions of albums Guns N' Roses sells.

"We've been on tour since the beginning of August, and the response from the people is great. Every night we play our shows, and a small percentage of the audience has our record.

"Then when we leave town, we hear back and the sales have gone up there, so a larger percentage of the audience gets it. And that's the way it's supposed to happen, you know.''

Clarke is happy with such grass-roots progress, though. And he holds no illusions about becoming as successful as his former band mates.

"It's hard to sell any records unless you're on MTV, and MTV is not geared toward hard-rock unless you're Guns N' Roses and Aerosmith.''

Clarke still was a member of Guns N' Roses when he recorded his album, but he finally decided this fall that there wasn't a place for him in the band.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85696

Back to top Go down