APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Ju Ju Hounds

3 posters

Go down

Ju Ju Hounds Empty Ju Ju Hounds

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:39 pm

While going through an old archive I came across this page:

Ju Ju Hounds 83-85-10

I don't have the date, but it is from somewhere between 1983 and 1985.

The reason why I paused is of course the band "Ju Ju Hounds". I remembered Izzy explaining the name of his solo band:

"The title of the LP came by accident in the studio. I was singing a backing track to something, and when I played it back it sounded like I said, `Ju ju hound'. It doesn't mean much really" [Kerrang! September 12, 1992].

But this makes it likely that there is more to it than what Izzy says. Perhaps he remembered the name of the old band, or more subconsciously went with it. Or maybe Izzy even played in a band called Ju Ju Hounds back in the first half of the 80s?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

Ju Ju Hounds Empty Re: Ju Ju Hounds

Post by Blackstar Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:52 pm

Very interesting find!

It's from 1983 (I found the listings in the L.A. Times archives)

I found a video from 1982 with that Ju Ju Hounds band:

Source: http://ghosttowntheatre.com/

Izzy doesn't seem to be in there Smile But it's possible that's how he got the name for his band. I haven't found anything yet about who the members of that band were and so if there may be a connection with Izzy.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:26 pm

It cannot be a coincidence. It must be where he got the name, but possible without realising it.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:16 pm

If you look a bit down in this article, it lists some of the smaller bands in Hollywood in the 80s, like London, Tex and the Horseheads and Jetboy….and Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds. I don't think for a second that there was a band called that at that time, that band came later in the 90s when Izzy had left GN'R. But maybe whoever wrote this article didn't get it completely wrong, just somewhat wrong, by remembering that there was a band called Ju Ju Hounds and then mistakenly thinking it was called Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds? And maybe Izzy was connected with this band back in the 80s?

http://nightflight.com/the-hollywood-underground-circa-1985-1990-scenesters-music-mayhem-melrose-ave/
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:48 am

Soulmonster wrote:If you look a bit down in this article, it lists some of the smaller bands in Hollywood in the 80s, like London, Tex and the Horseheads and Jetboy….and Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds. I don't think for a second that there was a band called that at that time, that band came later in the 90s when Izzy had left GN'R. But maybe whoever wrote this article didn't get it completely wrong, just somewhat wrong, by remembering that there was a band called Ju Ju Hounds and then mistakenly thinking it was called Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds? And maybe Izzy was connected with this band back in the 80s?

http://nightflight.com/the-hollywood-underground-circa-1985-1990-scenesters-music-mayhem-melrose-ave/
My guess is the writer of the article got the names of the bands from the list of the participants in Desi Benjamin's book. Among them is Jimmy Asshurst, who was in the 80s L.A band Broken Homes and then joined Izzy in the Ju Ju Hounds.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:43 am

Blackstar wrote:
Soulmonster wrote:If you look a bit down in this article, it lists some of the smaller bands in Hollywood in the 80s, like London, Tex and the Horseheads and Jetboy….and Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds. I don't think for a second that there was a band called that at that time, that band came later in the 90s when Izzy had left GN'R. But maybe whoever wrote this article didn't get it completely wrong, just somewhat wrong, by remembering that there was a band called Ju Ju Hounds and then mistakenly thinking it was called Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds? And maybe Izzy was connected with this band back in the 80s?

My guess is the writer of the article got the names of the bands from the list of the participants in Desi Benjamin's book. Among them is Jimmy Asshurst, who was in the 80s L.A band Broken Homes and then joined Izzy in the Ju Ju Hounds.

That could be it.

Jimmy Asshurts? Hay
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:31 pm

Soulmonster wrote:Jimmy Asshurts? Hay

Very funny! XD Embarassed

Jimmy Ashhurst!
I think I saw him say a few words in a documentary about The Damned (so I'm guessing he might've been in their road crew around '89-'91 during "reunion tours")!
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1922658/
Uli
Uli

Plectra : 9431

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:10 pm

Soulmonster wrote:
Jimmy Asshurts? Hay
Uli wrote:
Soulmonster wrote:Jimmy Asshurts? Hay
Very funny! XD Embarassed

Yeah, that was really funny. What a misspelling of two "s" instead of two "h" can do... Very Happy He has a difficult name Doh!
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down