APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2018.12.13 - KSHE 95 St. Louis - Interview with Richard

2 posters

Go down

2018.12.13 - KSHE 95 St. Louis - Interview with Richard Empty 2018.12.13 - KSHE 95 St. Louis - Interview with Richard

Post by Blackstar Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:28 am

Transcript:

Favazz: It's KSHE 95, real rock radio, there you have The Doors. So you didn't go downtown?

Richard: I didn't go downtown.

Favazz: Richard Fortus is here, from Pale Divine and Guns N' Roses. Hi! I was worried man. When I got your text, I was like, "Ohh man, he went downtown."

Richard: Thank God for the iPhone.

[laughs]

Favazz: Right, so tell everybody what happened?

Richard: I was at a rehearsal with the guys and I entered it in my phone and I started driving and I'm like, "Wait a second, this is taking me home."

Favazz: Yeah, cuz you kind of live out this way.

Richard: So I start panicking.

Favazz: I was panicking.

Richard: Calling my wife, called Michael, "Did you move?"

Favazz: Yeah, we got bought and we moved. So how about that?

Richard: But this is great, we could have lunch.

Favazz: We could, yes. I like this place because, well, not only, I mean, I have a beautiful view of Olive, but man, there are so many good restaurants. Don't even have to leave the building or anything like that.

Richard: And the Italian place.

Favazz: Yeah, which I haven't been to yet.

Richard: That's great.

Favazz: Yeah, that's what everybody says. So welcome back to town.

Richard: Thank you very much.

Favazz: So we'll get to Guns N' Roses in a little bit, but Pale Divine is playing this Saturday. For those who don't know who Pale Divine is or was, was a band that started in what year?

Richard: Let's just say a long time ago.

Favazz: A long time ago, 1990?

Richard: No, no, no, no. It would have been 1987.

Favazz: So would have been '87?

Richard: Yes. Well, no. I mean, it goes back before then. This is my first band, right? I was 14-15 and we used to play at a place called Animal House.

Favazz: I remember that, 367?

Richard: Yes, 367 in Chambers. So I was in a band, it was called The Eyes, right? And that was my first band. And we used to play there like every weekend.

Favazz: Because kids under 21 could go there.

Richard: It was huge, though. Do you remember that place.

Favazz: I do remember.

Richard: OK. It was this massive place and they have you know two or three bands at night and yeah, it was just it was a great way to cut our teeth. And we had reflections... but they were underage close back then, you know. And then if you were really lucky to get a gig playing at Mississippi Nights opening for somebody, right.

Favazz: And Kennedys and all that.

Richard: That came later.

Favazz: OK, so alright. Would you call this gig Saturday that you're doing a reunion, if you will?

Richard: Yeah, it definitely is.

Favazz: Even though you just played a couple months ago?

Richard: Well, well, yeah, because that was sort of a private affair. And we invited, you know, our friends-

Favazz: It was at Delmar Hall.

Richard: It was at Delmar Hall and yeah, but so that's why. I said, "If we're gonna get together and rehearse and relearn all these songs, let's just do a show. And I was looking at the calendar. I'm like, 'Well, I'm back...' [?] So we're trying to find something around Christmas time because I know I'm going to be here around Christmas because I'm always off that time. So I thought, 'That's safe. Let's just book a show then.' And so here we are.

Favazz: You know, I have a picture of you and me and Michael Shearer from the first Pale Divine reunion. I don't know how many years ago.

Richard: 2008.

Favazz: OK, so 10 years ago. A picture of the three of us standing in the [?] studio. Yeah, right. [?] So say hello to Michael Shearer, and who else is in the band?

Richard: It's the same guys, Dan [?] and Greg Miller. Same guyes since-

Favazz: Crazy, man. So alright, so the show is this Saturday and there are some tickets remaining.

Richard: There are a couple hundred left.

Favazz: So not much. And so, I mean, you've played everywhere around the world in these huge stadiums and stuff like that I think.  I would think to play with your old band, with your old mates, in a small club would be pretty, pretty cool.

Richard: It's way more fatiguing [laughs].

Favazz: Is it really? Because you're in charge?

Richard: It's sort of because everybody's looking at me, you know. I don't know. It feels like a lot more pressure on me.

Favazz: I get it, because you're in Guns N' Roses and the people there... I'm sure there are people going to the show that don't know Pale Divine, but they know Guns N' Roses and they're going to see you in person.

Richard: Maybe, yeah.

Favazz: Come on, we know that.

Richard: But it's also vey exciting, these are my boys. I mean, these are the guys I grew up with, you know.

Favazz: Right, exactly. I remember on the Guns N' Roses riot night you were playing a Kennedys, you told me that story before.

Richard: Yeah, everybody came down to Kennedys after the riot. The "after riot band".  

Favazz: So Pale Divine is playing this Saturday at the Pageant and once again, less than a couple 100 tickets remain and that's a cool thing. So is this going to turn out to be a yearly thing?

Richard: I think no because it's so difficult for me to know my schedule far enough in advance. But man, I love doing. Pale Divine was like... and it's so cool because that audience is so hardcore. Like our audience from back in the day really have been incredibly supportive and it's a nostalgic trip-

Favazz: For a lot of people, yeah.

Richard: - it was a big band in St. Louis, you know.

Favazz: It's really, really cool that you do it. Let's play some music and if you come back for another break here?

Richard: Yeah, yeah.

Favazz: Cuz we gotta talk Guns N' Roses. I can't have you here and not talk. Did you get in any trouble for that last long interview that we did? Remember a couple years ago, you were like the only person in the band that had done an interview about the review or whatever. Did you get any crap for that?

Richard: I do think I got crap for that.

Favazz: [laughs] But you didn't say anything that was, like, revealing, per se.

Richard: No. but it's not about anybody in the band, it's management being very protective. But you know what? We can talk about that.

Favazz: We can talk about it. Alright. So here's Lynyrd Skynyrd, KSHE 95.

[music break]

Favazz: You have a funny story that you just told me. You want to tell that story? With your wife and Skynyrd? Come on, tell it, it was funny.

Richard: They're good friends of mine, I love those guys and especially Rickey. Rickey is my brother.

Favazz: So we're talking about Rickey Medlocke.

Richard: So we're staying on the side of the stage and Johnny comes over to say hi after the set. "Hey, man!" And he looks at my wife, "Were you staying on the side of the stage?" And she goes, "Yes, I was." He says, "Man, you got pretty teeth."

[laughs]

Favazz: At least he didn't say, "You got a pretty Little mouth," like in Deliverance the movie.

Richard: It was not far off.

[laughs]

Favazz: That is funny.

Richard: But Johnny's a good guy.

Favazz: Yeah, he is. Alright, so Richard's here because Pale Define is playing Saturday at the Pageant and Richard's in that band and there's less a couple 100 tickets out there. We all know that Richard's other band, big band, is Guns N' Roses. So you just played a gig Saturday in Hawaii, was at the first time the band has ever played in Hawaii?

Richard: Yeah. We also did South Africa for the first time in this tour, which was insane. That was like a 90,000 seat stadium. That was huge. Second biggest stadium in the world.

Favazz: So was that one just you guys or was there anybody else on the bill?

Richard: Yeah, it was just us.

Favazz: That's amazing.

Richard: Again, it was our first time in South Africa.

Favazz: Yeah, that's pretty cool too.

Richard: It was very cool.

Favazz: You were on the other side of the world, literally. I mean, you're down in the other hemisphere and you're on the other side of the world. What was the weather like?

Richard: It was beautiful. It was perfect. It was like LA type weather. Yeah, not too hot-

Favazz: Not too cool.

Richard: Yeah, it was great.

Favazz: Alright, so Guns N' Roses' Not in This Lifetime Tour is technically over.

Richard: It's done.

Favazz: It's done.

Richard: Three years, done.

Favazz: So I know that on the last show in Honolulu there were some tweeting, I guess, about what's next or Axl said something about, "We had to do this before we do the next thing," or whatever. You want to elaborate at all on what the next thing might be?

Richard: Yeah. We're gonna try and do another record getting out soon.

Favazz: I hope it's good. I just hope it's really, really good.

Richard: How could it not be? The band's so great right now.

Favazz: I agree. It would be tough not to have a good record with you and Slash and Duff and Axl and it's just a really, really good band. I have all these questions in my head. I don't see you guys rushing to do this thing. Am I correct?

Richard: I think will happen faster than you think.

Favazz: Really?

Richard: Yeah.

Favazz: Wow. So maybe we could get-

Richard: I sure hope it happens faster than you think.

[laughs]

Favazz: Could we get a new Guns N' Roses song by the end of 2019?

Richard: It could definitely happen.

Favazz: Wow. Definitely maybes.

Richard: It could definitely, yeah.

Favazz: So do you already have stuff?

Richard: Maybe.

Favazz: Maybe? OK, I'll take that as a yes.

Richard: There might be stuff started.

Favazz: And I would think that the recording of said record might happen out in California?

Richard: I would think so, yeah. As I'm the only one who doesn't live there.

Favazz: Let's see. I know. What else could I ask you about that you would give a vague answer to?

Richard: There's nothing really... I mean, we're hoping to get one out very soon.

Favazz: So, but will Guns N' Roses play anymore?

Richard: Slash is busy. No, we're not gonna do any more dates for a little bit.

Favazz: What's a little bit?

Richard: I don't know. But it's not-

Favazz: Months?

Richard: Yeah, it's not gonna happen.

Favazz: So it won't be like a full on tour like this thing was?

Richard: I don't know. We don't... Well, it depends on whether or not we have a new record out. If we have-

Favazz: Ah, I see. IF you have a record then you go out on tour-

Richard: -and that's why we want to do it.

Favazz: That's awesome.

Richard: Get new stuff out there.

Favazz: Wow. I mean, because, you know, I like the Chinese Democracy record.

Richard: Thank you.

Favazz: I thought it was good. But I can only imagine what a record with those three and you and what's the drummers name, Frank? It would be a really, really good rock record too.

Richard: Yeah, I think so, too.

Favazz: So what would Axl write about today? I mean, he's not the same guy that he was-

Richard: Oh, I think Axl's got a lot to write about [laughs].

Favazz: Well, besides politics because I know he gets involved with that a lot.

Favazz: But, you know, I mean, back in the day, it was all sex, drugs and rock'n'roll. It's not quite that way anymore.

Richard: It's not?

Favazz: Come on now, hi Stephanie! For Axl, he's the one that would write lyrics.

Richard: That's right.

Favazz: So I mean, you know, his life has changed. You may not write about those things.

Richard: Has it?

[laughs]

Richard: How sure are you about this?

Favazz: Well, I don't know. I guess you could tell me, if you would.

Richard: I could, but I'm not gonna.

Favazz: Alright, fine.

Richard: [laughs] But no, his life, I don't know how different it is. I mean, he's a different cat for sure. You know, he's definitely... I mean, I didn't, I didn't know him back then, but man, he's a solid dude now.

Favazz: So we're talking to Richard Fortus of Pale Divine and Guns N' Roses. So what did you think last year of when the band played at the Dome in Saint Louis? Because I was there and it was a great, great show.

Richard: Yeah!

Favazz: And it was the first time since the riot.

Favazz: What was the whole thing like for you?

Richard: I think everybody was a little bit nervous.

Favazz: Were you nervous that something was gonna happen or-

Richard: Just how it would be received. I know Axl was. You know, it was just a little tenuous. But it went great. I thought he handled himself really well, acknowledging it-

Favazz: He really didn't do it a lot but he did say... what he say? "Good to see you again"? Or-

Richard: "Been awhile".

Favazz: "Been awhile". [laughs]. That was funny.

Richard: Now, he's been wanting to do it for a while. For me it was, you know, it's like a Pale Divine gig, hometown crowd so feels like a lot of pressure, you know, a lot of friends and family there.

Favazz: I bet. Because you told me you had to buy a whole section of tickets for your family and friends.

Richard: Yep. I had like 100 people backstage. Had my own bartender and bar [?].

Favazz: You had a Kennedys shirt on that night.

Richard: Yes. And I bought Axl a Coral Court shirt-

Favazz: He wore that for a while.

Duff: And I bought Duff a Streetside Wreckage[?] shirt.

Favazz: And he wore that.

Richard: Yeah, and I bought Slash another one. Do you remember the brains sign, "Brains $0.05"? It was downtown.

Favazz: At a restaurant?

Richard: Outside of a restaurant. It was like a sign that said, "Brains $0.05" with an arrow. And I remember that from when I was a kid. I used to drive by on my way to school everyday. This is like down in Soulard.

Favazz: And you bought him that shirt?

Richard: And I got him that shirt.

Favazz: He didn't wear that.

Richard: He didn't wear it that night, he wore it later.

Favazz: He's got the best T-shirts.

Richard: Yeah, I don't know how he works his system, but... he doesn't have like a ginormous suitcase, so it must be... I don't know how he does it. I've never seen him wear the same shirt twice.

Favazz: I gotta look and see what he's wearing because it's usually a funny T-shirt.

Richard: I've never seen him wear the same shirt.

Favazz: Alright, what else could I ask about Guns N' Roses? "That gig was great," OK, "blah blah," "might have a new record," "might tour behind the record." Will you be doing anything personally in 2019? Is that a "definitely maybe", too?

Richard: Right now I'm producing, finishing an album, that I'm producing by The Psychedelic Furs, which is another one of my old bands. And so hopefully that will be done in January. And then I've got other things in the works and hopefully those plans will be solidified and I will be talking to you about it soon.

Favazz: You know Oasis have the title of their their record, Definitely Maybe. [laughs]

Richard: Yep. "Definitely maybe," I'm gonna get that T-shirt.

Favazz: So, it's good to see you today, man.

Richard: It's great to see you.

[cut]

Favazz: You're gonna play with El Monster[?], have they asked you? Cuz you should do it, dammit! I put you on the spot, Richard.

Richard: Ok, I will.

Favazz: You got to do it.

Richard: Ok, I will.

Favazz: What night are you gonna play? You already know which night you're gonna play?

Richard: Nah, I think it's like the 20th.

Favazz: The first one? Don't do the first one, man.

Richard: Why?

Favazz: My wife is having her gallbladder removed. I don't know if I'm gonna be there.

Richard: OK, let me try and reschedule.

Favazz: Oh, you never know, I might show up.

Richard: [laughs] Hopefully she's a quick healer.

Favazz: Hope so. Apparently to get your gallbladder out, it's like having a tooth pulled. It's like everybody does it. So you are going to play this year.

Favazz: Alright.

Richard: So much for a surprise.

Favazz: It's my job, man. That's what I'm supposed to do. Alright, so Pale Divine this coming Saturday. The reunion show, if you will.

Richard: Yeah, we got a couple 100 tickets left.

Favazz: And it's at the Pageant. And hello to Michael Shear. I haven't seen Michael in a long time. Super talented guy.

Richard: He's doing great.

Favazz: I don't know the other guys in the band, but I know Michael well. What a great thing.

Richard: He's out playing around town and he does like a solo acoustic.

Favazz: That's right, I've seen him. Used to go to Truffles and [?]. He's still there. And then, you know, just keep your eyes and ears peeled for maybe some new Guns N' Roses. That would be like the record of the year.

Favazz: I would think so.

Richard: For me. [laughs]

Favazz: For all of us, I think. Alright, so I'm going to go out here with Better, that you co-wrote-

Favazz: - with Axl, Chinese Democracy. Great song. Richard Fortus, thanks for coming.

Richard: Thank you so much for having me.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87081

Back to top Go down

2018.12.13 - KSHE 95 St. Louis - Interview with Richard Empty Re: 2018.12.13 - KSHE 95 St. Louis - Interview with Richard

Post by Blackstar Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:12 pm

Excerpt from Ultimate Classic Rock:
---------------------------------------------

In the first concrete report of writing activity, Guns N’ Roses guitarist Richard Fortus said the band were aiming to release a new album “faster than you think,” although he declined to offer much detail.

Members of the Not in This Lifetime lineup of the band, active since 2016, have been cautious about answering questions about a follow-up to 2008’s  Chinese Democracy, after that LP’s difficult gestation period meant it was almost impossible for the material to live up to the hype. Frontman Axl Rose recently said, “You never know,” when asked about new music. On the last show of the near-three-year world tour earlier this month, he told fans, “we had to get through this first… we can’t do what’s new until we finish this.”

Asked about Rose’s comments, Fortus told KSHE95, “We’re going to try… try and do another record, get it out soon…” On the subject of its potential high quality, he said, “How could it not be? The band’s so great right now.” He added, “I think it’ll happen faster than you think. I sure hope it happens faster than you think!”

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/new-guns-n-roses-album-coming-faster-than-you-think/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

2018.12.13 - KSHE 95 St. Louis - Interview with Richard Empty Re: 2018.12.13 - KSHE 95 St. Louis - Interview with Richard

Post by Blackstar Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:14 pm

And from Loudwire:
---------------------------

The "Not in This Lifetime" tour has been a huge success for Guns N' Roses, but what comes next? While Axl Rose and Slash have danced around the possibility of working on a new album, guitarist Richard Fortus reveals in a new interview that it is something the band is going to try.

Speaking with host Favazz of St. Louis' KSHE95, the guitarist was asked about the possibility of a new record from the band and he responded, “We’re going to try and do another record and get it out soon.” When the host offered that he hoped it'd be great, Fortus added, “How could it not be? The band is so great right now.”

The next question concerned the turnaround of a potential disc, with Fortus stating, "I think it will happen faster than you think. I sure hope it happens faster than you think," and he later offered the possibility that there might be some new music released before the end of 2019. "We're hoping to get one out very soon," said Fortus, also revealing that there might also be the possibility of more touring at some point, but it might revolve around how quickly new music gets turned around.

https://loudwire.com/despicable-me-4-trailer-guns-n-roses-dragonforce-songs/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:53 am

Transcribed this.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76581

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down