APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2012.04.11 - Press Release - Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern

Go down

2012.04.11 - Press Release - Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern  Empty 2012.04.11 - Press Release - Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern

Post by Blackstar Tue May 01, 2018 6:54 am

Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern

To: The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern,

When the nominations for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame were first announced I had mixed emotions but, in an effort to be positive, wanting to make the most of things for the fans and with their enthusiasm, I was honored, excited and hoped that somehow this would be a good thing. Of course I realized as things stood, if Guns N' Roses were to be inducted it'd be somewhat of a complicated or awkward situation.

Since then we've listened to fans, talked with members of the board of the Hall Of Fame, communicated with and read various public comments and jabs from former members of Guns N' Roses, had discussions with the president of the Hall Of Fame, read various press (some legit, some contrived) and read other artists' comments weighing in publicly on Guns and the Hall with their thoughts.

Under the circumstances I feel we've been polite, courteous, and open to an amicable solution in our efforts to work something out. Taking into consideration the history of Guns N' Roses, those who plan to attend along with those the Hall for reasons of their own, have chosen to include in "our" induction (that for the record are decisions I don't agree with, support or feel the Hall has any right to make), and how (albeit no easy task) those involved with the Hall have handled things... no offense meant to anyone but the Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony doesn't appear to be somewhere I'm actually wanted or respected.

For the record, I would not begrudge anyone from Guns their accomplishments or recognition for such. Neither I or anyone in my camp has made any requests or demands of the Hall Of Fame. It's their show not mine.

That said, I won't be attending The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction 2012 Ceremony and I respectfully decline my induction as a member of Guns N' Roses to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf. Neither former members, label representatives nor the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame should imply whether directly, indirectly or by omission that I am included in any purported induction of "Guns N' Roses".

This decision is personal. This letter is to help clarify things from my and my camp's perspective. Neither is meant to offend, attack or condemn. Though unfortunately I'm sure there will be those who take offense (God knows how long I'll have to contend with the fallout), I certainly don't intend to disappoint anyone, especially the fans, with this decision. Since the announcement of the nomination we've actively sought out a solution to what, with all things considered, appears to be a no win, at least for me, "damned if I do, damned if I don't" scenario all the way around.

In regard to a reunion of any kind of either the Appetite or Illusion lineups, I've publicly made myself more than clear. Nothing's changed.

The only reason, at this point, under the circumstances, in my opinion whether under the guise of "for the fans" or whatever justification of the moment, for anyone to continue to ask, suggest or demand a reunion are misguided attempts to distract from our efforts with our current lineup of myself, Dizzy Reed, Tommy Stinson, Frank Ferrer, Richard Fortus, Chris Pitman, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal and DJ Ashba.

Izzy came out with us a few times back in '06 and I invited him to join us at our LA Forum show last year. Steven was at our show at the Hard Rock, later in '06 in Las Vegas, where I invited him to our after-party and was rewarded with his subsequent interviews filled with reunion lies. Lesson learned. Duff joined us in 2010 and again in '11 along with his band, Loaded, opening in Seattle and Vancouver. For me, with the exception of Izzy or Duff joining us on stage if they were so inclined somewhere in the future for a song or two, that's enough.

There's a seemingly endless amount of revisionism and fantasies out there for the sake of self-promotion and business opportunities masking the actual realities. Until every single one of those generating from or originating with the earlier lineups has been brought out in the light, there isn't room to consider a conversation let alone a reunion.

Maybe if it were you it'd be different. Maybe you'd do it for this reason or that. Peace, whatever. I love our band now. We're there for each other when the going get's rough. We love our fans and work to give them every ounce of energy and heart we can.

So let sleeping dogs lie or lying dogs sleep or whatever. Time to move on. People get divorced. Life doesn't owe you your own personal happy ending especially at another's, or in this case several others', expense.

But hey if ya gotta then maybe we can get the "no show, grandstanding, publicity stunt, disrespectful, he doesn't care about the fans" crap out of the way as quickly as we can and let's move on. No one's taking the ball and going home. Don't get it twisted. For more than a decade and a half we've endured the double standards, the greed of this industry and the ever present seemingly limitless supply of wannabes and unscrupulous, irresponsible media types. Not to imply anything in this particular circumstance, but from my perspective in regard to both the Hall and a reunion, the ball's never been in our court.

In closing, regardless of this decision and as hard to believe or as ironic as it may seem, I'd like to sincerely thank the board for their nomination and their votes for Guns' induction. More importantly I'd like to thank the fans for being there over the years, making any success we've had possible and for enjoying and supporting Guns N' Roses music.

I wish the Hall a great show, congratulations to all the other artists being inducted and to our fans we look forward to seeing you on tour!!

Sincerely,

Axl Rose

P.S. RIP Armand, Long Live ABC III

https://web.archive.org/web/20180618181741/https://www.facebook.com/notes/guns-n-roses/axls-letter-to-the-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-guns-n-roses-fans-and-whom-it-may-/10150928055678222/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85486

Back to top Go down

2012.04.11 - Press Release - Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern  Empty Re: 2012.04.11 - Press Release - Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern

Post by Blackstar Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:34 pm

Related article in the Los Angeles Times, April 11, 2012:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Axl Rose pens letter to Rock Hall: won't attend, declines induction

Early this morning, Pop & Hiss received a letter from Guns N' Roses co-founder Axl Rose, through his publicist, announcing his decision to not attend the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony on Saturday in Cleveland. Written under the greeting, "To The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern," Rose explained specifically why he was declining his induction into the Cleveland music institution.

The band, born in Los Angeles in 1985, was announced as an inductee in February alongside the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys and Donovan, among others, leading to instant speculation whether the five core members of Guns N' Roses circa "Appetite for Destruction" would appear together for the first time since 1993. Guitarist Slash officially departed the band in 1996, followed soon thereafter by other members Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum (original drummer Steven Adler had left a few years earlier, as had Izzy Stradlin).

Rose retained the rights to the band's name, and over the next decade devoted his time to creating the album "Chinese Democracy," touring with a revived Guns N' Roses, and defiantly dismissing any suggestion of a reunion with the original members of the band.

Since February, Rose has remained mum on his plans, even as guitarist Slash has spoken out in favor of a Rock Hall reunion -- and acknowledging Rose's antipathy. "He hates my guts," Slash told Rolling Stone in early April. "It's over a lot of different stuff; I don't even know. There's just no communication between us. I talk to Duff and Steven, but when it comes to old Guns N' Roses, there really isn't anybody that makes decisions."

In the letter below, Rose specifically criticizes comments by Adler, who speculated to Billboard magazine in 2007 that the band might reunite. Those comments were given by Adler while promoting his own Adler's Appetite tour, which was timed to support his book, "My Appetite for Destruction." "I want to finish what we started," Adler told Billboard then (parentheses and elipses theirs), "and ... with the love and support I got from those guys, I think we can (reunite). I'm gonna leave it up to Axl. That's gonna be Axl's call, and I love Axl and I know he'll make the right call." Below, Rose calls Adler's comments "reunion lies." Continuing attempts to reach Adler have not been successful.

During a December 2011 sit-down interview with Rose after a Guns N' Roses concert in Seattle, the singer had yet to decide his plans, but was uninterested in making a scene at the induction ceremony if he did decide to attend. "I think about it in terms of Marlon Brando getting up at the Academy Awards and talking about Indians ... or when Michael Moore got up at the Academy Awards and said whatever about George Bush. People don’t want that associated with their awards shows, even if you have a big audience. In one way it might be right, but it usually backfires on whoever does it. So I really don’t want to spoil it for everybody else -- and take the beating."

Notably, Rose then laughed and cursed Jann Wenner, the founder, publisher and executive editor of Rolling Stone magazine -- who also co-founded the Hall of Fame in 1983.

Rose's open letter is printed in its entirety below.

[...]

https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2012/04/axl-rose-pens-open-letter-to-rock-hall-will-not-attend-asks-to-not-be-inducted.html

Last edited by Blackstar on Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

2012.04.11 - Press Release - Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern  Empty Re: 2012.04.11 - Press Release - Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern

Post by Blackstar Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:37 pm

The New Yorker, Apr. 12, 2012:
------------------------------------

Axl Rose: He Don’t Need No Hall of Fame

Yesterday, in a generally polite and well-mannered letter, Axl Rose refused induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, informing the Hall and fans that he would not be attending the ceremony in Cleveland this Saturday, where Guns N’ Roses will be inducted along with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Donovan, the Beastie Boys, and others. It’s well known that Rose, who has retained the rights to the Guns N’ Roses name, doesn’t get along with the other members of the group; what wasn’t known until yesterday is whether the idiosyncratic front man would bury the hatchet for the induction. He won’t. “I strongly request,” he wrote, “that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf.”

The letter sets out its argument in sixteen paragraphs of thick prose that is largely free of the wordplay, rage, or animating spirit of Rose’s songs. Instead, it reads like a junior vice-president’s explanation of the phenomenon of Internecine Squabbling In Rock And Roll. Rose feels, and says at great length that he feels, that the group being honored at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, the original lineup, no longer accurately represents the band, which remains a going concern with new personnel. The reintroduction of these new personnel, in fact, yields the best sentence in the otherwise measured letter, a sixty-seven-word thicket of generic lawyerese that eventually rolls into a catalog of names that read like outtakes from “The Basement Tapes”:

The only reason, at this point, under the circumstances, in my opinion whether under the guise of “for the fans” or whatever justification of the moment, for anyone to continue to ask, suggest or demand a reunion are misguided attempts to distract from our efforts with our current lineup of myself, Dizzy Reed, Tommy Stinson, Frank Ferrer, Richard Fortus, Chris Pitman, Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal and DJ Ashba.

Rose’s letter isn’t the only comment from the band. Earlier in the week, Duff McKagan, who was the band’s bassist at the height of its fame, wrote a piece for ESPN.com in which he said he hoped that the induction would act as a kind of low-key reunion that would serve, above all, the needs of fans. The piece was emotional where Rose’s was guarded, direct where Rose’s was Byzantine. It also hit at the heart of the matter: the flaw in the foundation of the Rock Hall. “Music is not like sports,” McKagan wrote, “and hence, a Hall of Fame in music is almost a false pedestal to sit upon. There are no statistics in music and art.” Add to that the fact that sports hall of fames honor individual achievement, which is a distortion of the way that games are played but an acceptable, agreed-upon distortion. Inducting an entire band for its body of work seems doomed from the start: bands are ever-changing things, in life and even in death—especially bands with as vexed a history as Guns N’ Roses.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/axl-rose-he-dont-need-no-hall-of-fame
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:44 pm

E! News, Apr. 12, 2012:
-------------------------------------

Sorry, Guns N' Roses Fans: Axl Rose Rejects Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Rocker writes a letter explaining that he is declining his induction as a member and will not be present at the ceremony

By Bruna Nessif

Axl Rose has no appetite for induction.

The singer has penned a letter outlining why he has declined to be inducted to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame as a founding member of Guns N' Roses.

And the letter says what exactly?

In the lengthy missive, the singer explains the mix of feelings he had upon hearing that the legendary band would be honored.

"When the nominations for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame were first announced I had mixed emotions but, in an effort to be positive, wanting to make the most of things for the fans and with their enthusiasm, I was honored, excited and hoped that somehow this would be a good thing. Of course I realized as things stood, if Guns N' Roses were to be inducted it'd be somewhat of a complicated or awkward situation."

So he's decided he'd prefer to opt out.

Rose writes that he means "no offense," but he will not attend the ceremony and will not accept the nomination.

"I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf. Neither former members, label representatives nor the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame should imply whether directly, indirectly or by omission that I am included in any purported induction of Guns N' Roses," he writes.

For all that, Rose says he is humbled by the thought.

"Regardless of this decision and as hard to believe or as ironic as it may seem, I'd like to sincerely thank the board for their nomination and their votes for Guns' induction. More importantly I'd like to thank the fans for being there over the years, making any success we've had possible and for enjoying and supporting Guns N' Roses music."

Well, if not the Hall of Fame, fans will always have "Paradise City.

https://www.eonline.com/news/308169/sorry_guns_roses_fans_axl_rose_rejects

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:45 pm

Rolling Stone, April 11, 2012:
-------------------------------------

Axl Rose Will Not Attend Guns N’ Roses’ Hall of Fame Induction

Singer: ‘I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia’

By Andy Greene

It’s official: Axl Rose will be not be attending this year’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony. “I respectfully decline my induction as a member of Guns N’ Roses to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame,” Rose wrote in a long letter obtained by the L.A. Times. “I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf. Neither former members, label representatives nor the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame should imply whether directly, indirectly or by omission that I am included in any purported induction of ‘Guns N’ Roses.'”

The announcement follows months of speculation regarding what, exactly, would happen at the April 14th ceremony in Cleveland. Axl Rose and Slash haven’t shared a stage since 1993 and bad blood between the former bandmates has persisted for years. “He hates my guts,” Slash told Rolling Stone earlier this month. “It’s over a lot of different stuff; I don’t even know. There’s just no communication between us.”

In his letter, Rose says that the ceremony put him in a difficult position. “I certainly don’t intend to disappoint anyone, especially the fans, with this decision,” he wrote. “Since the announcement of the nomination we’ve actively sought out a solution to what, with all things considered, appears to be a no win, at least for me, ‘damned if I do, damned if I don’t’ scenario all the way around.”

In recent weeks, Slash, Matt Sorum, Dizzy Reed, Duff McKagan and Steven Adler have all indicated that they plan on attending the ceremony. It’s unclear if Izzy Stradlin plans on attending. Green Day are set to give their induction speech, though it’s unknown if they plan on performing as well.

Guns N’ Roses fans have been hoping to see a reunion of the classic lineup for years, but Rose once again makes it clear that he has no interest. “Time to move on,” he wrote. “People get divorced. Life doesn’t owe you your own personal happy ending especially at another’s, or in this case several others’, expense.”

Here is Rose’s complete letter:

[...]

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/axl-rose-will-not-attend-guns-n-roses-hall-of-fame-induction-60310/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:13 pm

Los Angeles Times, Apr. 11, 2012:
-----------------------------------------

Axl Rose rejects Rock Hall; fans take offense

In this morning's open letter to his fans and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Guns N' Roses co-founder Axl Rose predicted some backlash from fans longing to see the original incarnation of the band perform onstage. "Though unfortunately I'm sure there will be those who take offense (God knows how long I'll have to contend with the fallout)," wrote Rose, "I certainly don't intend to disappoint anyone, especially the fans, with this decision."

He was right.

Though unintended, offense has been taken, fans are disappointed, and it's all over the band's Facebook page. The reactions range from dismissive to angry. "Axl's never done anything for the fans, why would he start now!" wondered a commenter named Melanie Finlay.

Wrote another: "So sad. I'll never really understand Axl's motivations, but there have been plenty of bands that can't stand each other that are able to perform together for years (ie. Aerosmith). Was really hoping they might pull it off for 1 show that honors all the members of the group."

Rose's defenders have spoken as well, many of whom agree with his position on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. "Truly amazing! Axl Rose has more class, brains and talent then any put together," wrote Penny Taylor. "It took extreme courage and love to the fans to relate the reasons and strife that he has been dealing with silently trying to be fair to the fans and to others."

And then there are the rational fans who accepted his decision with disappointment but grace. Wrote someone named "Pinkie Pie After Too Much Sugar," with notable diplomacy: "GNR is never getting back together. Axl and Slash will never get along again. And the fact that so-called 'fans' are trying to force two people who hate each other to work together is unfair."

https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2012/04/fans-react-to-axl-roses-open-letter-to-them-and-many-are-not-happy.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:55 am

MTV News, April 12, 2012:
-----------------------------------

An Open Letter To Axl Rose And Guns N' Roses Fans Everywhere

Our columnist comes out in support of the last remaining rock star after Axl's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame kiss-off.

By James Montgomery

To: W. Axl Rose, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern,

Greetings from New York City, which is approximately 490 miles from Cleveland, site of this weekend's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony and roughly 50 bazillion miles from whatever Bedouin caravan Mr. Rose is currently encamped with — though, to be honest, it feels much farther removed from both. Especially given the reaction most GN'R fans have had to Rose's open letter to the Hall of Fame, which he published Wednesday and which has subsequently turned him into the most hated man on the Internet.

Here's the thing (and, really, the reason I'm writing this letter): Despite the thousands of comments his letter has generated — which largely run the gamut from "YOU SUCK" to "Axl Rose is a freaking whiny-ass bitch" — I'm happy to be in the minority of people who seemingly have no problem with it whatsoever. In fact, I think it's pretty awesome.

Because I support Axl Rose. And yes, I am aware that, in the past, I have called him "the creepy old guy with the Raiders jersey who lives on top of the hill" and compared him to Lil Wayne. And sure, I realize his recent, uh, output might not be on par with Guns' previous efforts (anyone can have a bad 20 years). But after reading his letter, none of those things matter. Or, if anything, they actually made it better for me. Because Axl Rose is a rock star. Maybe the last one standing. He is an anachronism and an enigma. There will never be another like him, and really, his missive to the Rock Hall is just further proof of all those points.

To wit: There are a lot of words in Rose's letter (more than 1,000 of them), none of which are "apology." This is because Axl never apologizes. Because he doesn't have to, and he doesn't care if that offends you. He also never allows himself to be backed into a corner — and everything from his unrelenting blood feud with Slash to the 15-year wait for Chinese Democracy is basically proof of this — and he intimates at several points in his letter that everyone from the HOF committee to his former bandmates was basically attempting to do just that. So rather than be intimidated, Rose just decided to walk away from the whole thing. As he writes, "No one's taking the ball and going home. ... From my perspective ... the ball's never been in our court."

It's easy to call Rose a jerk for doing this, but, really, he is a jerk. It's what makes him who he is and why he's still able to sell out arenas around the world. We've come to expect nothing less, and yet we're willing to vilify him for acting the way he always has.

In some bizarre way, by skipping the induction (and asking his name not be mentioned in absentia), Rose displays a supreme level of actual integrity. Unlike, say, Ozzy Osbourne, who previously asked that his band Black Sabbath no longer be considered for the Hall only to show up at the 2006 induction and call it an "achievement," Axl won't come crawling back. And unlike fellow 2006 inductees Blondie, he spared anyone the ugly onstage feud that surely would've erupted by simply saying, "No thanks." He does what he wants and only what he wants. And the same goes for that much-discussed GN'R reunion, which he shuts down in the letter because, really, it's "time to move on."

And that last quote should be taken to heart by all the Guns fans out there raging against Rose today. Because, really, it is time to move on. Move on from your misguided beliefs that Rose is ever going to change or suddenly have a moment of clarity. It's been, like, 20 years now, and he's never wavered from his original point: No reunion, not ever. Guns N' Roses are still a band and they still tour, and if you don't like it, then don't come out to the shows. Even though you probably still will.

So, sure, be angry with Axl today. Make claims of never listening to his music again (which would suppose he's ever going to make music again) and accuse him of putting himself before his fans. But don't take him to task for being the same person he's been for 25 years now, because, really, you wouldn't want him to change. Not for a reunion tour, not for an induction ceremony, not for anything. He will continue to blaze his own path whether you follow him or not. And I applaud him for doing so. He is Axl Rose, after all. He is rock and roll in an era where that phrase has increasingly less clout. We want him on that wall. We need him on that wall. It's about the only way we can sleep at night, knowing somewhere, Axl is watching over us all. And writing open letters to let us know he still cares.

Sincerely,

James Montgomery

http://www.mtv.com/news/1682996/axl-rose-rock-n-roll-hall-of-fame-open-letter/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down