APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1991.01.23 - Rock In Rio II, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

4 posters

Go down

1991.01.23 - Rock In Rio II, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil Empty 1991.01.23 - Rock In Rio II, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

Post by Soulmonster Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 17:01

Date:
January 23, 1991.

Venue:
Rock In Rio II Festival.

Setlist:
01. Pretty Tied Up
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Patience
04. Nightrain
05. Double Talkin' Jive
06. Welcome to the Jungle
07. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
08. You Could Be Mine
09. Civil War
10. Bad Apples
11. It's So Easy
12. Rocket Queen
13. Sweet Child O'Mine
14. Estranged
15. Paradise City

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass), Dizzy Reed (keyboards) and Matt Sorum (drums).

Quotes:
It was incredible; we played two nights in a row to 180,000 fans in Maracanã Stadium. [...] It was something else; I'm not sure that I've ever seen a more insane Guns N' Roses crowd - and that is saying something. When we kicked into the bridge of "Paradise City," people swan-dived from the upper tier of the stadium - seemingly to their death [Slash's autobiography, p 325]
1991.01.23 - Rock In Rio II, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil Rightarrow Next concert: 1991.05.09.
1991.01.23 - Rock In Rio II, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil Leftarrow Previous concert: 1991.01.20.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

1991.01.23 - Rock In Rio II, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil Empty Re: 1991.01.23 - Rock In Rio II, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

Post by 666 Sat 19 May 2012 - 10:56

is this the only show that Bad Apples was played?

Plectra : 5356

Back to top Go down

1991.01.23 - Rock In Rio II, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil Empty Re: 1991.01.23 - Rock In Rio II, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

Post by Soulmonster Sat 19 May 2012 - 11:14

666 wrote:is this the only show that Bad Apples was played?

Nope, but almost: https://www.a-4-d.com/t118-bad-apples#136
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat 21 Apr 2018 - 18:34

Review from Metal Hammer, March 1991:

Andre Verhuysen wrote:For Guns N' Roses there is not much to win anymore, judging by the gig they did on Sunday. But Guns gave a much more relaxed performance on this night. The set was mainly the same (although I can't remember if they played the new song 'Bad Apples' on Sunday). But they also played a set that was much more fun. Even Slash was smiling form ear to ear as he looked around him during breaks in the songs. The joy was back and the nerves had disappeared and it became clear at last why Guns N' Roses were the headliners.

It was great to see 'Patience' and 'Knoking On Heaven's Door' whipping up a sea of hands in the air and 'Mr. .Brownstone' and 'Welcome To The Jungle' rocked like crazy. Guns N' Roses are now one of the best stadium bands in the world. Their show here argued well for the upcoming tour due to start in Europe.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue 3 Mar 2020 - 13:16

Blackstar wrote:Review from Metal Hammer, March 1991:
Andre Verhuysen wrote:For Guns N' Roses there is not much to win anymore, judging by the gig they did on Sunday. But Guns gave a much more relaxed performance on this night. The set was mainly the same (although I can't remember if they played the new song 'Bad Apples' on Sunday). But they also played a set that was much more fun. Even Slash was smiling form ear to ear as he looked around him during breaks in the songs. The joy was back and the nerves had disappeared and it became clear at last why Guns N' Roses were the headliners.

It was great to see 'Patience' and 'Knoking On Heaven's Door' whipping up a sea of hands in the air and 'Mr. .Brownstone' and 'Welcome To The Jungle' rocked like crazy. Guns N' Roses are now one of the best stadium bands in the world. Their show here argued well for the upcoming tour due to start in Europe.
The full Metal Hammer article/report about Rock In Rio II (the date is February 25, not March):

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4505-1991-02-25-metal-hammer-rock-in-rio-ii-priest-n-guns-on-top-in-brazil
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu 8 Sep 2022 - 18:16

The Good Men Project website, Aug. 20, 2022:
Rock in Rio: Tales From Backstage

[...]

Despite his wild onstage persona, Axl Rose from Guns N’ Roses surprised all the staff with his kindness. The singer had asked for noodles for himself and the band, to be served after their Wednesday show. However, the band members left while the singer stayed in the dressing room. Faced with a large amount of food, he invited the waiters, cleaners, and security guards to eat with him at 3:30 in the morning.
https://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/rock-in-rio-tales-from-backstage/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster and Uli like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu 8 Sep 2022 - 18:27

From an Interview with Amin Khader, backstage production manager at Rock In Rio 1985, 1991 and 2001; Uol.com (Brazilian website), Sept. 13, 2017.

Original (Portuguese):
https://musica.uol.com.br/listas/200-toalhas-28-pratos-e-outros-pedidos-malucos-dos-32-anos-de-rock-in-rio.htm

Translation:
Macaroni with Axl

In 1991, the lead singer of Guns N' Roses ordered 28 plates of fettuccine. But when the show was over, all the musicians and crew left without touching the food. Axl Rose went ahead and told Khader to provide a meal for those working backstage. "I called my crew, cleaners, security guards, and set up a huge table. I thought: 'Look at this humble guy.' Then Roberto Medina [the founder of the festival] passes by. It looked like a big party, with lots of wine on the table. I said to him: 'Axl invited us." Then Roberto had pasta with everyone until dawn. I thought it was a great attitude," says Khader.

Last edited by Blackstar on Fri 9 Sep 2022 - 5:49; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu 8 Sep 2022 - 18:36

And a slightly different version of the story excerpted from a book (quoted on Brazilian website Whiplash, Sept. 13, 2017).

Original (Portuguese):
https://whiplash.net/materias/biografias/269747-gunsnroses.html

Translation:
[...]

Here is another version of the story, reported by Luiz Felipe Carneiro (from the Alta Fidelidade channel) in his book "Rock In Rio - The History of the World's Greatest Music Festival": "After the show the band left, except Axl. He wasn't forgotten there again; he just stayed in the dressing room to take a shower, because didn't want to leave the Maracanã before he was cleaned up. Amin Khader (note: backstage organizer) asked the singer if he would like for the abundant pasta that he had ordered before the show to be sent to the hotel so that he could have dinner with the band's production team. "How many people do you have on your team?" asked Axl. "About 15" replied Amin. "Then you can call all of them to have dinner with me here backstage," said the singer. Not believing what he had just heard, Amin set up a huge table in the dining room, with pasta and the best red wine available at that moment. Steamers, chambermaids, caterers, waiters, security guards, and carpet cleaners - no one was left out of the dining table. At a certain moment, Roberto Medina showed up at the dining room door and, without understanding a thing, gave a disapproving look to Amin, who quickly got up and invited his boss to an unusual meeting: "Roberto Medina, would you like to sit at the table with us and have dinner with Axl Rose?" When the businessman saw who was sitting at the head of the table, he almost fell over backwards.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri 11 Nov 2022 - 1:24

Bad Apples from this show (from Use Your Illusion I Deluxe edition):

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Fri 11 Nov 2022 - 10:41

UNBELIEVABLE

Ok, for the other shows -- Ritz 1991, Wembley 1991 etc -- we only had shitty audience recordings in circulation until today

But not for Rock in Rio 1991.

I believe that everyone here has listened to both Rio nights at least once

And I believe that everyone here has listened to the Brazilian radio broadcast of the second half of the January 23 night --- which includes this song, Bad Apples

That -- despite all the whatever imperfections -- is an absolutely fantastic recording, that captures a band on fire, in what has been described by many as their best show ever.

For Bad Apples in particular, Izzy sings basically the entire song with Axl and their voices blend perfectly, just like they always have, just like Slash and Izzy's guitars always have

An absolutely fantastic recording

AND THIS IS THE "OFFICIAL" VERSION OF IT?

For starters, Izzy can barely be heard -- or NOT HEARD at all!! -- in this "MIX".

And everything else sound sterile, separated, cold, as a poorly mixed studio recording of an amateur band

WHAT ON FUCKING EARTH HAS GN'R DID HERE?

How can someone do a mixing job that removes all the life from a concert, a song?

THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5311

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down