APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1988.01.31 - The Limelight, New York City, USA

Go down

1988.01.31 - The Limelight, New York City, USA Empty 1988.01.31 - The Limelight, New York City, USA

Post by Soulmonster Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:05 am

Date:
January 31, 1988.

Venue:
The Limelight.

Setlist:
01. One in a Million
02. Patience
03. Cornshucker
04. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
05. Used to Love Her
06. Don't Cry
07. Welcome to the Jungle
08. It's So Easy
09. Mr. Brownstone (w/ Not Fade Away intro)
10. Patience
Instrumental jam (parts of Whole Lotta Rosie and Born to be Wild)
10. Rocket Queen (without lyrics)
11. You Shook Me
12. Rock and Roll
Instrumental jam

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

Notes:
Rare acoustic/electric show. The only known live performance of 'Cornshucker'. 'Welcome To The Jungle' started the electric set. A roadie sang lead on the two last songs.

Quotes:
(Grimaces) I hate to say it, but that was more of a money thing—we had this gig at the Limelight for $7,500 for 45 minutes. So we said O.K., but my heart wasn't into it. I didn't want to do it because . . . my major problem with acoustic stuff is that we've never sat down and arranged any acoustic material. Those songs weren't written as Guns N' Roses rock & roll. No one's really got their own parts; Axl sings, the rest of us just wing it. I got really drunk before we went on stage, which is something I never do.

The worst [gig we ever played]... I can easily tell you the worst gig I personally ever played. There is no such thing as a worst gig for the whole band, because - like bad gigs and good. We’ve had bad gigs all the time, to the point, like, we have – when we’re bad, we’re bad, when we’re good, we’re good, you know? It’s like, when the inspiration is there and everything, it’s happening. You can’t always go out and be great. But the worst gig I’ve ever done was, we played a gig at the Limelight, not too long ago, and if you’ve ever heard about that one, where I was just completely wasted out of my mind and fell into the crowd three times, and all that stuff. That was sort of a drag. It was fun, though, at the time. […] I fell into the crowd with my guitar, like, three times. Something like that. That’s happened to me just a few times, though. I’m never – I make a point never to get so bombed before we play that I can’t keep it together.

[...] we played The Limelight, acoustically, or semi-acoustically, everyone was so fucking drunk. Slash fell off the stage like three times, Steven fell off his drum set, Izzy, just, like fell over, and the only people left on the stage was Axl and myself.

Two night before [the Ritz] show, we decided to play a semi-acoustic surprise show at a venue in Manhattan called the Limelight, a former church. By the time we headed into the sanctuary, everyone in the band was so fucked up that we lost members one by one as the set progressed. eventually everyone except me and Axl went down. It was a comical gig, but I took something serious away from it. I told myself I would never get so deep in my cups that I wouldn't be able to play.
Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 132

1988.01.31 - The Limelight, New York City, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1988.02.02.
1988.01.31 - The Limelight, New York City, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1988.01.21.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76206

Back to top Go down

1988.01.31 - The Limelight, New York City, USA Empty Re: 1988.01.31 - The Limelight, New York City, USA

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:14 pm

According to the setlist.fm user evilsugar25, "after Patience, Axl stormed off the stage. The remaining Jams and covers were played with members of Law & Order, who opened, just filling out the set."
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

1988.01.31 - The Limelight, New York City, USA Empty Re: 1988.01.31 - The Limelight, New York City, USA

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:17 pm

From GN'R live:

Rare acoustic/electric show. The only known live performance of 'Cornshucker,' which was written by Duff & sung by Duff & Axl at this show. 'Welcome To The Jungle' starts the electric set. Axl sings a few lines of 'Not Fade Away' by The Rolling Stones during the beginning of 'Mr. Brownstone.' Axl temporarily leaves after the second performance of 'Patience,' which was an improv jam. He was pissed because GN'R wasn't supposed to play this show. The band then jams on some songs. During the 'Instrumental Jam' after 'Patience,' parts of 'Whole Lotta Rosie' & 'Born To Be Wild' are played, with Axl singing. A roadie comes on stage to sing 'You Shook Me' & 'Rock And Roll,' which were done by Led Zeppelin. 'Rock And Roll' features the 'Living Loving Maid' intro. Again Axl comes back during 'Rock And Roll' to help out on vocals.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:18 pm

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:49 pm

Slash mentions this show in Circus Magazine, May 1988:

"(Grimaces) I hate to say it, but that was more of a money thing—we had this gig at the Limelight for $7,500 for 45 minutes. So we said O.K., but my heart wasn't into it. I didn't want to do it because . . . my major problem with acoustic stuff is that we've never sat down and arranged any acoustic material. Those songs weren't written as Guns N' Roses rock & roll. No one's really got their own parts; Axl sings, the rest of us just wing it. I got really drunk before we went on stage, which is something I never do."
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:36 pm

A Limelight executive, talking about Axl:

He just dropped his mike and walked offstage. The band all kind of looked at each other and kept on playing until Axl came back.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down