APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Yesterdays

2 posters

Go down

Yesterdays Empty Yesterdays

Post by Soulmonster Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:10 pm

Yesterdays Newbor11
YESTERDAYS
Album:
Use Your Illusion II, 1991, track no. 3.

Written by:
Axl Rose
West Arkeen
Del James
Billy McCloud.

Musicians:
Drums: Matt
Bass: Duff
Lead and Rhythm Guitars: Slash
Rhythm Guitar: Izzy
Vocals, Piano: Axl
Organ: Dizzy

Information:
In October 2019, Cynthia M. Woodman, the sister of the late Billy McCloud, would contact Axl to thank him for listing her brother as co-writer of Yesterdays [Twitter, October 23, 2019]. According to Woodman, McCloud had met Axl prior to the formation of Guns N' Roses and although Axl did not remember McCloud's last name, and it is unsure to what extent McCloud was involved in writing the song, Axl named him (as simply "Billy") in the liner notes when Use Your Illusion II was released in 1991 and ensured that McCloud's family would receive royalties [Twitter, October 25, 2019]. This would also imply that the songs, or parts of it, dates back to before 1985.

Live performances:
The first GN'R show where 'Yesterdays' was played, was at Pantages Theatre, USA, on May 11, 1991. It had previously, January 14, 1988, been played on a Drunk Fux show. In total it has, as of {UPDATEDATE}, at least been played {YESTERDAYSSONGS} times.
Lyrics:

Yesterday, there was so many things
I was never told
Now that I'm startin' to learn
I feel I'm growing old

'Cause yesterday's got nothin' for me
Old pictures that I'll always see
Time just fades the pages
In my book of memories
Prayers in my pocket
And no hand in destiny
I'll keep on movin' along
With no time to plant my feet

'Cause yesterday's got nothin' for me
Some things could be better
If we'd all just let them be

Yesterday's got nothin' for me
Got nothin' for me

Yesterday, there was so many things
I was never shown
Suddenly this time I found
I'm on the streets and I'm all alone
I ain't got time to reminisce old novelties
Yesterday
Yesterday

Quotes regarding the song and its making:

Yeah, it is a Strat. That was a conscious thing I went for. Even though there's not many notes, it was just a sound and a feel. After I did the basic track, I knew that's what I wanted to sound like. (...) Axl wrote that [the piano ending] and I think that was a part of it. When we did it in the studio, he might have extended it a bit more.
Guitar, April, 1992

I moved into this apartment building and my next-door neighbor was West Arkeen, this crazy little guitar-player guy, this little freak. He went to the Guitar Institute a couple blocks from our house, and he came out of the Institute, and there was some guy selling an Alesis drum machine and a four-track cassette recorder. It was apparently Sheila E.’s bus driver. Somehow he got stiffed and he’s like, “Fuck it, I’m selling this shit.” So West comes home with this drum machine, [and] we figured out how to use the stuff. The demo of “It’s So Easy” was pretty great. West at this exact same time had taught me how to tune the guitar to open E. We used like, every feature on the drum machine: cowbell, woodblock, and everything on this demo. I sang it, tuned the guitars, put the drum track on, and it was just this cool little lazy summertime hit. West and I would recall all these “summertime hits,” we’d call them. I had an apartment and West had an apartment before we had a rehearsal space, and it became an encampment for about two months for the band. “It’s So Easy,” “Yesterdays,” and I think “14 Years,” a lot of songs were recorded on West’s four-track. I think “You’re Crazy” came out on the West four-track. Sitting in an apartment, we’d play a lot of acoustic guitars, so I think “Easy” was recorded on acoustic guitar. Thing about our songs, we played ’em all on acoustic guitar. “Night Train,” we wrote on acoustic guitar. Because we’d write them in little cramped apartments.
The Onion A.V. Club, May 2011

[West Arkeen] wasn't the type who wanted to be in a band, but he was an incredible guitar player. He ended up writing songs with several of us. He had a hand in an unreleased song called 'Sentimental Movie,' and in 'Yesterdays' ad 'The Garden,' which eventually turned up on Use Your Illusion. All of those songs were written there on El Cerrito [where Duff lived] together with various members of our band.
Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 86-87

Yesterdays Newbor11

Last edited by Soulmonster on Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:27 pm; edited 8 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76572

Back to top Go down

Yesterdays Empty Re: Yesterdays

Post by Soulmonster Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:44 am

From the '88 Drunk Fux show.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76572

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:40 pm

Some information about Billy McCloud (who is credited as co-writer on Yesterdays) from his sister on twitter:

Yesterdays Yester10
Yesterdays Yester11
Yesterdays Yester12
Yesterdays Yester13
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 86383

Soulmonster and ludurigan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:21 am