APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Duff McKagan

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Duff McKagan Empty Duff McKagan

Post by Soulmonster Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:36 pm

Duff McKagan NeWborder_zpsk3uwcgt1
DUFF MCKAGAN
Duff McKagan 220px-Duff_McKagan_2012

Full name:
Michael Andrew McKagan. Been called "Duff" since he was a child.

Date of birth:
February 5, 1964.

Band position:
Bass player, songwriter, lead singer on some songs and backup singer on others.

Time with Guns N' Roses:
1985-1997. 2016-present. After leaving the band in 1997 Duff rejoined the band for the Not In This Lifetime tour in 2016.

Shows with the band:
As of {UPDATEDATE} Duff has played at least {DUFFSHOWS} concerts with the band.
Biography:
Michael Andrew "Duff" McKagan (born February 5, 1964) is an American musician and writer. He is best known for his twelve-year tenure as the bassist of the hard rock band Guns N' Roses, with whom he achieved worldwide success in the late 1980s and early 1990s. During his later years with the band, he released a solo album, Believe in Me (1993), and formed the short-lived supergroup Neurotic Outsiders.

Following his departure from Guns N' Roses in 1997, McKagan briefly reunited with his pre-success Seattle punk band 10 Minute Warning. He then formed the still-active hard rock band Loaded, in which he performs lead vocals and rhythm guitar. Between 2002 and 2008, he played bass in the supergroup Velvet Revolver with his former Guns N' Roses band mates Slash and Matt Sorum. He joined Jane's Addiction for a brief tenure in 2010. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2012 as a member of Guns N' Roses.

In addition to his musical career, McKagan has established himself as a writer. He has written weekly columns on a wide variety of topics for SeattleWeekly.com, Playboy.com, and ESPN.com. A former high school drop-out, he attended Seattle University's Albers School of Business and Economics in the early 2000s, and subsequently founded the wealth management firm Meridian Rock. [Wikipedia, August 2016].

Quotes:
First meeting when looking for a bass player for Road Crew: (...) when this bone-skinny, six-foot-plus guy with short spiked blond hair rolled in wearing a Sid Vicious-style chain and padlock around his neck, combat boots, and a red-and-black leather trench coat in spite of the seventy-five-degree weather [Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York]
First meeting when looking for a bass player for Road Crew: So we're hanging at Canter's on a sunny afternoon in the winter of '84, and in walks Duff McKagan. Right away I thought, "Well, he sure looks like a rock star. "(...) I thought he was totally right for the look we were after. We hit it off right away, right down to the bands we liked, and just as importantly, the bands we hated ["My Appetite for Destruction", 2010]
Duff was as musically versatile as he was driven (...). I respected him immediately for his devotion: he and I shared a similar work ethic. It established a kinship between us right away that hasn't faltered at all over all these years [Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York]
Duff and I were the keystone; we were the rock that rolled. We were to become the rhythm section for the biggest rock band in the world, and we pushed each other day and night to get there ["My Appetite for Destruction", 2010]
Duff was in some weird Top 40 band, but Izzy was like, 'This guy's got short hair, but he is into New York Dolls and stuff like that.' He had a Johnny Thunders T-shirt on, and we were like, 'This guy's perfect' [The Days of Wine and Roses, Classic Rock, April 2005]
He is one of the most rockiest bass players [MTV, 1988]
Duff didn't have a taste for the "brown", but he was a serious drinker and was always half-cocked ["My Appetite for Destruction", 2010
I believe that [Duff] made a fresh drink, packed with ice, before he went to bed and left it next to his pillow; that way the ice would keep it cold enough while he slept that it would still be nice and fresh first thing in the morning [Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York, p. 259]
Duff's the mellowest guy, but the booze could turn him into one mean mother ["My Appetite for Destruction", 2010, pp. 133]
[Duff] was sober now; in May 1994, he suffered a near-fatal episode when his pancreas almost exploded. Years of heavy drinking had taken their toll, and if Duff didn't get sober, he'd die [Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York, p.386-387]
The doctors talked to him two years ago. They said your liver is supposed to be this big. [Izzy holds his hands in the shape of a hardball] They said his liver was this big. [Izzy holds his hands in the shape of a softball]. And when his liver gets this big, it's all over [Izzy holds his hands in the shape of a cantaloupe] [The Musician, 1992]
Everybody's in good shape and Duff's looking really good and healthy. It was good that we took the time off, because at the end of the tour Duff was one foot in the grave. I mean it was like we were all drugged out. We just all stepped back out of the whole rock and roll debauchery for a while and just sort of mellowed [Outsiders responsible for Guns N' Roses reuniting? Toronto Sun, September 4, 1996]
The road that Axl chose to travel forced me away. And once I left, Duff was next-he split of his own accord less than a year later [Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York, p.396]
Duff is very well: he just participated in the fucking Hawaiian marathon! A Goddamn marathon! Not bad for a guy whose pancreas exploded because he drank three and a half liters of vodka a day! He's in my band, which is really cool [Hard Rock Interview, 2001]
Duff's support for the man [Slash] though understandable in one sense in regard to his circumstances, is inexcusable, and furthers my distance from the two of them [GN'R press release with Axl interview, gnronline.com, 2002]
Duff's always been a real unique, great sounding bass player [Velvet Revolver, Total Guitar #121 April 2004]
Being asked if he could work with some of the old members again besides Izzy: Maybe something with Duff, but that's it, and not something I'd have to really get down into, as I'd get left with sorting it out and then blamed on top of it. So, no, not me [The Billboard Q&A: Axl Rose, Billboard February 14, 2009 issue]
Talking about working with former members: It'd be highly doubtful for us to have more than one of the alumni up with us at any given time. I suppose Duff could play guitar on something somewhere (...) [spinner.com Axl interview by Del James, spinner.com, 2009]
I met him a few years back, and he seemed like a really sweet guy. He didn't seem to have any issues with me - I don't think he wanted the gig anymore [Bass Player Magazine, March 2010]
When I started hammering out those Guns N' Roses songs, I started to really dig into what Duff was doing - I really liked the stuff he played. I'd be lying if I said his playing didn't seep into my subconscious - like the way he uses grace notes. And I wouldn't be afraid to say I stole some of his stuff [Bass Player Magazine, March 2010]
Introducing Duff at stage: There was this guy at the end of my hallway [at their hotel] playing all this loud music and shit....Who the fuck? Oh, It's Duff!![O2 Arena, London, England, October 14, 2010]
Duff is a cool guy [Live stream, December 2011]
After Duff joined GN'R for showin Vancouver, 2011: Hope Duff had as good a time as i did playing with GNR.I got to stand right behind his amp and learn a few things, Good times [twitter, December 20, 2011]
I think, other than him being more riff oriented than I am, we’re not all that different players. We both kind of came from a punk-rock background, and it wasn’t all that much of a stretch. I did, however, tweak my sound a little bit so that it would fit sonically with what was going on. I didn’t really try to sound like Duff necessarily, but to make it sound as powerful as I could while still fitting in to what’s going on [Las Vegas Weekly, October 24, 2012]
[Stephanie Seymour, Slash and Duff] did more damage to my ability as a writer. To those three, it was all crap. It beat me down so much. At the time of the (Use Your Illusion) tours, Slash and Duff said, 'You're an idiot, you're a loser.' I didn't write for years. I felt I was hindered for a very long time [USA Today, October 30, 2012]
Had lots of cool times with Duff, love him & his family Smile[REDDIT AMA, December 2013]
When Duff was about to step in for Tommy's missed gigs on the American tour in 2014: It's Duff being the kind of good sport he is, trying to help Axl out.[Billboard, April 2014]
After the first show with Duff filling in for Tommy: Congrats to @officialDuffMcKagan for killing all the songs from new to old last night! Insane talent! What a F'N blast we had! #ArgentinaYouKickedAss #blessedlife #Gnr #brasil[twitter, April 7, 2014]
He worked really hard on the parts and he liked playing the newer songs from Chinese [at the Golden Gods and in South America when Tommy was doing shows with the Replacements]. And you know, it's pretty funny because we'd go to talk about certain things from Illusions, and there's things he doesn't remember, there's things I don't remember. We kind of finish some of each other's memories sometimes. And the Duff that played these shows with us isn't really the Duff that I knew from what I'd call "Old Guns" or the Appetite lineup or the Illusions lineup. Because with this lineup, everybody goes out and tries to do their very best, and every guy's on. I don't have to tell the other guys what to do, they do it on their own. They push each other really, really hard. That also pushed Duff, and he liked the challenge of that. And he got along with the guys really well. He and some of the band and crew were doing their yoga together during the days we were out there, so... [...] [Hearing Duff sing on GN'R songs] was a fun thing about some of these shows. Because there's also things like that little line in "Civil War" "Peace could last forever." Duff wrote that line, and he sings it. And I've always been a fan of Duff's voice. There's a punk element to it and a sincerity to it. I like hearing it. [...] It's possible [we can work more together]. I don't know yet. It depends on scheduling, or what shows Tommy [Stinson] wants to do with the Replacements and stuff like that [Revolver Magazine, May 2014]
It's cool playing with him. He's rock solid and a sweetheart of a guy. A good person to play with[One on On with Mitch Lafon, June 2014]
It's great to see Duff, a pleasure to be around him again. It's kinda a trip to see him on stage, definitely a treat to the guys who haven't played with him in the past. But also a huge treat for the fans, and it was cool, great that Duff was able to do that, and willing to do that [step in for Tommy when he was touring with the Replacements. [...] Duff is such a positive guy to be around and a consummate professional [The Rock Revival, June 2014].
He is such a sweetheart. Before he joined as a guest in a previous tour and then he returned to do full shows with us. It was just nice to spend some quality time with him. Now I know from the fans’ stand point this is a big thing, but for me it’s like hanging out with a friend who I have such great conversations with. [The National, July 2014].
[/table]
He is a fantastic musician and also become one of my best friends, he's a really close friend. A great human being. Really, really solid dude. He's become a really great guy [Intimate workshop with Richard, November 2014].

Duff McKagan NeWborder_zpsk3uwcgt1

Last edited by Soulmonster on Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:16 pm; edited 19 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76582

Back to top Go down

Duff McKagan Empty Re: Duff McKagan

Post by Soulmonster Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:14 pm

Photographer: Robert John. Visit his page here: http://www.robertjohnphotography.com/

Duff McKagan 81
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by puddledumpling Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:15 am

Kick in the Head anyone?
puddledumpling
puddledumpling

Plectra : 6683

Back to top Go down

Post by puddledumpling Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:04 am

puddledumpling
puddledumpling

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:39 am

Has Axl really allowed that music and that footage to be used? He claims to not even have read Duff's autobiography. I find it implausible.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by puddledumpling Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:52 pm

could very well be a fan made trailer. It is the second one I've seen - the first was deleted from YouTube
puddledumpling
puddledumpling

Back to top Go down

Duff McKagan Empty Review of It's So Easy in a curious section of npr.org

Post by puddledumpling Thu May 30, 2013 5:21 am

puddledumpling
puddledumpling

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Thu May 30, 2013 10:21 am

Soulmonster wrote:Has Axl really allowed that music and that footage to be used? He claims to not even have read Duff's autobiography.

He won't need to read the book to allow music for the docu. It's obvious that GN'R music will be needed for such a movie, why shouldn't he agree? (He's on good terms with Duff anyway.)
Uli
Uli

Plectra : 9462

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu May 30, 2013 10:32 am

Uli wrote:
Soulmonster wrote:Has Axl really allowed that music and that footage to be used? He claims to not even have read Duff's autobiography.

He won't need to read the book to allow music for the docu. It's obvious that GN'R music will be needed for such a movie, why shouldn't he agree? (He's on good terms with Duff anyway.)

I would actually have thought he would have read the book before allowing it. And then, who knows if he'd agree it. Oh well, I can just ask him Crazy
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:29 am

Former GUNS N' ROSES star Duff Mckagan has been named Seattle Central Community College's Distinguished Alumni of the Year. The bassist went back to school to study finance several years ago. He says, "Attending Seattle Central was an awesome experience - it taught me a lot about discipline in a great way. Having a college education has also helped my reputation."
Source: http://www.contactmusic.com/news/fascinating-fact_3734889
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:52 pm

Duff made it to this list of "greatest bass players":

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the-60-greatest-bassists-of-all-time-279007/29

As one of the longest-serving members of the classic line-up of Guns N' Roses, Duff McKagan put in 12 years with the LA rockers from Appetite For Destruction to The Spaghetti Incident (and then some). Since then he's cropped up with Velvet Revolver and more recently Duff McKagan's Loaded, releasing three albums.
Uli
Uli

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:00 pm

Bassist Duff won’t say no to chance of recording with Axl again

Duff McKagan says his attitude to recording with Guns N’ Roses in the future is “never say never.”

The bassist rejoined ex-colleague Axl Rose for a run of shows in South America earlier this year, after having made a handful of guest appearances with the current lineup of GnR since a London reunion in 2010.

Now McKagan tells Blairing Out: “It was great going and playing those shows – we had a good time.”

Asked about recording he says: “I never say never to anything these days. I’ve learned. You never know what’s around the corner. And all that aside, I’m just glad he and I were able to get together and talk about some stuff, then laugh about a lot of other shit that happened.”

McKagan recently completed a second album with his latest project Walking Papers, and hasn’t given up on going back to work with Velvet Revolver – if they can find a replacement for fired frontman Scott Weiland.

McKagan says: “I don’t think we’re done. We played with some guys only two weeks ago, all really talented. We’ll know when he walks in the room, I think.”

Guitarist Slash this month told how VR had decided against working with Slipknot and Stone Sour frontman Corey Taylor because they thought he was “too macho” for the role. In May former Rose manager Craig Duswalt predicted the original GnR lineup would get back together by 2016.
Source: http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/2014-10-31/mckagan-never-say-never-guns-n-roses-reunion
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:44 am

Duff is to release a new book in May called "How to be a man":

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/duff-mckagan-to-release-how-to-be-a-man-book-in-may/

Last edited by Soulmonster on Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:23 pm

Soulmonster wrote:Duff is to release a new book in May called "Hot to be a man":

Yeah, it's hot to be a man... Very Happy

Well, I guess I know how to be a man (and I read some of his columns), so I might give this one a miss.
Uli
Uli

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:58 pm

Heh, thanks! Yes, I liked his column. There will probably be lots of GN'R references, too.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:55 am

https://tinyurl.com/h367ok2

In a rare interview with KIRO Radio’s Dori Monson, Guns N’ Roses bassist Duff McKagan briefly discussed the ‘Not In This Lifetime’ tour.
When asked how the tour was going, McKagan gave the answer, “Uh, it’s been good. I’m so jetlagged right now, cause we just flew back. We did Bangkok, Dubai, so Bangkok you fly over India, the Persian gulf to Dubai, so it’s about 7 hours, then we played the gig and flew 17 hours more west to get back to the west coast, so I’m a little jetlagged.”
Uli
Uli

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:55 am

Uli wrote:https://tinyurl.com/h367ok2

In a rare interview with KIRO Radio’s Dori Monson, Guns N’ Roses bassist Duff McKagan briefly discussed the ‘Not In This Lifetime’ tour.
When asked how the tour was going, McKagan gave the answer, “Uh, it’s been good. I’m so jetlagged right now, cause we just flew back. We did Bangkok, Dubai, so Bangkok you fly over India, the Persian gulf to Dubai, so it’s about 7 hours, then we played the gig and flew 17 hours more west to get back to the west coast, so I’m a little jetlagged.”

Here's it in case Alternative Nation disappears Smile

Monson also remember McKagan telling him he wanted to be a ‘traffic czar’ who will fix things in Seattle, and McKagan still seemed eager to take a government job to fix the problem.

“That’s correct, I even applied for whatever that position was, there was a new position to come up, whenever that was, a year and a half ago. I went through the government paperwork and applied, but I never heard back. Not even the courtesy of, ‘Thanks for applying.’ Nothing, no.”

“My thing about being in a rock band has so little to do with being a citizen of Seattle,” he said. “I remember coming down to Los Angles in 1984 and seeing the traffic down there and thinking, ‘Seattle will never be this bad.’ Now, it’s worse than LA in Seattle.”

“I’m not saying I’m more experienced or I know more, but I travel and keep my eyes open,” McKagan said. “Because Seattle has gotten so bad with traffic, I am really aware of what they do in other cities – London, New York, Sydney … traffic does flow there. I don’t see bike lanes in Sydney, clogging up the roads. And people bike there.”

He also discussed his style of biking.

“I’m an urban assault attack bike rider, but I know the roads are for cars,” he said. “I grew up knowing that. You don’t ride with the cars, it’s dangerous. So I ride the streets that cut through, like over Capitol Hill. I don’t take 23rd, I take the streets that cut over.”

“I have nothing against proper bike lanes in cool places, but they should be in cool places,” McKagan said. “Those places that have less cars. Like the route I recently took, up over Capitol Hill – side streets … Seattle traffic is not just the bikes, or the bike lanes. It’s a car city.”

He also revealed why Seattle’s system is set up the way it is.

“I know it’s probably not politically correct to say anything about the Cascade Bike Club, but you have strong lobby, and that side of politics – we all know it,” McKagan said. “And the Seattle City Council, they’re inept. As a bike rider, I just don’t get the Cascade Bike Club angle. I know they have cars, too.”

“I take the train sometimes to a Seahawks game,” he said. “It lets you off four blocks away from the stadium, and traffic cops have to block traffic to let people from the train cross those streets. It’s a real head scratcher.”

“I’ve played stadiums in Australia and Japan, where they have transportation systems, and the trains come up to the stadium,” McKagan said. “We are relying on Sound Transit putting up new stations, and it’s cool. There’s one at Husky Stadium. I sort of live near there. But am I going to walk in the rain for a mile to that train station? It’s not convenient. In New York, it’s convenient. You walk a block over and there’s the 14th Street station.”
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:56 am

And another audio interview where Alternative Nation has transcribed parts:

If you are dealing with mental health issues, you can call the Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, or enter their live chat.

Guns N’ Roses bassist Duff McKagan opened up about Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell and Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington’s death in a new interview with Chris Jericho.

Speaking about the death of his longtime friend Cornell, McKagan said: “My daughter Mae and [Chris’s] daughter Lily were born two weeks apart [in July 2000]. And Susan [Holmes, Duff’s wife] and I, we were in Seattle then. So Susan Silver [Cornell’s then-wife] and my Susan were pregnant at the same time, and we hung out a bunch when the girls were little babies. And then Audioslave started when Velvet Revolver started, and we played gigs with them.”

Calling Cornell’s suicide a “shocker,” Duff admitted that he has “had little touches of depression in the last seven, eight years. It came out of nowhere; I’m not that guy,” he said. “But I’ve had a panic disorder since I was sixteen, and they always said that’s a subset of depression. And I’m, like, I don’t have depression. I have panic attacks here and there, like in the weirdest places ever, and I’ve learned to deal with them. I learned by the time I was twenty I’m not gonna die from a panic attack; you feel like you’re going to.”

McKagan recalled one particular incident that made him realize the seriousness of what he was facing. “About five years ago, I was in a movie theater with my wife Susan, we went to the movies, and my seat sunk down five feet,” he said. “And I looked around, I thought something happened to the theater, like there was an earthquake. But no, I had an attack of depression, just a feeling of moroseness. And I couldn’t live like that. We got out of the theater, and I’m shaking. It’s hard to explain what it felt like. But [my wife] drove me home, my friend came over, and we got somebody else on the phone, and it was depression. And it passed. And then I went and saw some people about it and I had a couple of more of those episodes.”

Although Duff says that he doesn’t have “chronic depression,” he can relate to the feeling of despair and helplessness that Cornell and Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington, who committed suicide in July, must have felt before they decided to take their own lives.

“If there was depression involved, then all bets are off,” Duff said. “I’m not gonna judge ’em anyhow. I’ve been in and out of alcohol and drug addiction, and I’ve got it all. So I’m not one to judge. But if there was depression involved, then it’s a real thing, ’cause I understand.

“When I sunk five feet down in that movie theater, I couldn’t live like that,” he continued. “You can’t breathe, you can’t eat, you can’t… all your bodily functions just go; you have no control. And I’m a strong dude. I think positive and I apply a lot of principles to my life and through martial arts and through stuff, and I can see and deal with shit — bad shit, and good shit. And be a dad and be… those things that I rise to, ’cause I love it. But when I had depression, I couldn’t be any of those things; I couldn’t be anything.”
Source: https://www.alternativenation.net/guns-n-roses-member-can-relate-chris-cornell-chester-bennington-couldnt-live-like/

I like Duff.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:57 am

And more:

Guns N’ Roses bassist Duff McKagan discussed how he and Slash reacted to having to play Chinese Democracy songs in a new interview with Chris Jericho.

“It’s great. Axl, he put a lot into that record.”

“I think Slash and I were challenged with a thing, like, ‘How do we make these kinda ours now?’ Cause we’re gonna play these; we’re gonna take ownership of these.”

“And we went in and learned them and started playing them with [drummer] Frank [Ferrer] and then [guitarist] Rich [Fortus]. Let’s tear these songs down and really know them and then build it up from there.”

Duff said the beginning of the bass line to “Sweet Child O’ Mine” is one of the toughest parts for him to play.

“You can’t fuck that up. Everybody there is listening at that point. You gotta be on.”

He also discussed live performances.

“We wear in-ears, right? So most of the time [Axl] is telling amazing jokes. He crushes everybody. You know, I fancy myself a humorist, a jokester, but he crushes me.”
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:17 pm

While Axl goes political and takes on Trump on twitter, Duff has been discussing environmental issues with the radio personality Dori Monson:

https://tinyurl.com/ydhttfso
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:09 pm

Duff will release a new solo album in 2019. Read about it here (I couldn't copy/paste it): https://tinyurl.com/yazke2tu
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:30 pm

Uli
Uli

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:19 am

Good for Duff to get it out. A slight change of musical direction here, although his first solo record was pretty much all over the place. Still, a piano ballad with modern production is far from anything on 'Believe in Me'. I like it, I like the verses better than the chorus.

Not too fond of his voice. I mean, he sings much, much better now, actually pretty good, and pronounces all syllables and stuff, but it is still just too "punk". There is something he does at the end of sustained notes that just sounds a bit contrived and not really fitting to the music.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:28 pm

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87097

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:15 pm

Duff McKagan Uten_n12

Anyone going?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:44 am

Review of Duff's show in London last night:

Duff McKagan, Islington Assembly Hall review – Guns N' Roses bassist revels in the spotlight
There's a lot of love for the rock 'n' roll survivor at this intimate London gig

Guns N’ Roses members do love a side project, from Slash’s Snakepit and Conspirators to Axl’s stint as AC/DC frontman. Bass player Duff McKagan has had plenty of them, including hardcore punks 10 Minute Warning, rock 'n' roll supergroup Velvet Revolver and a few months in Stone Temple Pilots – and now he's touring his well-received, country-drenched solo album Tenderness.

Tenderness is produced by the very excellent Shooter Jennings (whose country pedigree is impeccable – he’s the son of Waylon Jennings and Jessi Colter), who’s joining McKagan on the road. A black-clad, shades-sporting Jennings, looking uncannily like his dad these days, opens tonight’s proceedings with a support set full of country groove, boogie woogie and soulful balladry. A prolific performer and producer, Jennings plays “White Trash Song”, from his 2013 album The Other Life, in memory of his friend and former collaborator Neal Casal, whose death was announced just a couple of days before this gig, and follows it up with a powerful, haunting cover of Bowie’s “Rock 'n' Roll Suicide”.

It’s a busy (and hot) night for Jennings and his fine band, who soon return to play with McKagan, Jennings on keyboards. Front and centre, a lithe, tanned McKagan – looking in impressively, miraculously rude health given what he’s been through over the years (his excellent autobiography It's So Easy (And Other Lies) lays it out in harrowing detail) – is having a great time. He frequently mentions how much he loves London, at one point whacking out a little ditty in its honour (“I’ve been in love with you ever since I played the fuckin’ Marquee”), and chuckling when someone incongruously yells “let’s get fuckin’ wasted!” just before the mournful “Cold Outside”.

Much of the set list is from Tenderness (no complaints here), with highlights including the heartfelt title track, whose chorus “A little tenderness is what we need these days” feels entirely appropriate given the seemingly never-ending grimness of the news cycle. The state of the world is addressed in songs like the eerie “Parkland”, a lament comprising a ghastly list of mass shootings, and “Last September”, which focuses on sexual assault. The mood is sombre, too, when McKagan reels off a list of deaths in the music world, including Waylon, Lemmy, Prince, Chester Bennington and Chris Cornell, and urges the audience to hold close those they love.

But there’s a lot of joy tonight, too, including a sweet moment with McKagan’s wife Susan Holmes McKagan, who looks slightly embarrassed when he pulls her up on stage for a cheesy but lovely slow dance. A red-lit, stomping “Dust N' Bones” - from G N’R’s Use Your Illusion I – is thrilling, one of the best moments of the night, and when McKagan explains that they don’t do encores – “we just play all the songs we know, then that's the end” – he’s tickled to hear someone shout out for Justin Timberlake’s “What Goes Around Comes Around” (sadly, it doesn’t come to pass).

It’s pretty surreal to see Duff McKagan here in Islington – the last time I clapped eyes on him, he was with G N'R in front of 100,000 people at Download – but it’s great. He’s beaming constantly, like he can’t believe his luck – he’s in one of the biggest bands in the world, but he also gets to come face to face with his sweaty, happy fans in a tiny little London dance hall and love it just as much.

Source: https://theartsdesk.com/new-music/duff-mckagan-islington-assembly-hall-review-–-guns-n-roses-bassist-revels-spotlight
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:25 am

Duff is featured on the first single off Ozzy's new album:

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:22 am

Guns N’ Roses bassist Duff McKagan’s ‘Cold Outside’ video highlights homelessness issue in Seattle

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/music/guns-n-roses-bassist-duff-mckagans-cold-outside-video-highlights-homelessness-issue-in-seattle/
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:20 am

Interview from 1983, published in the Seattle fanzine Blackfire, with Duff and his then band mate in 10 Minute Warning, drummer Gregg Gillmore:
by J.M. Fox

Since I've been hanging around the hardcore scene I've seen almost all of 10 Minute Warning's shows, dating back to when they were known as the Fartz. With their talent and unique sound, 10 Minute Warning could go a long way. This interview is with guitarist Duff McKagan and drummer Gregg Gillmore; the other band members are guitarist Paul Soldier, vocalist Steve Verwolf and bassist David Garriques.

Backfire: How did you guys get started playing music, you and Gregg ?

Gregg: Ah, (belch) I always liked music for as long as I can remember and my dad played drums. I was just kind of interested in drums as an instrument and in 5th grade at school I played drums, actually I played trumpet. Then I played drums in 6th grade.

Were you influenced by any other kinds of bands?

Gregg: The Mamas and the Papas and the 5th Dimension were the first bands I listened to, and other records.

Duff: I played lead broom for Kiss. I have a lot of influences from mid-70s. I think both me and Paul are influenced by the New York Dolls, guitar-wise. And anything in between, probably anything else I've heard, has influenced me in some way.

O.K. great. What other bands have you both played in?

Duff: I also played in the Living with Gregg and that just kind of ended off on a sour note. But it was real groovin' for awhile. And I also made a single with the Veins and made a single and played with the Fastbacks and played in a lot of other wank bands. I went to San Francisco with the Silly Killers. I played with the Silly Killers for awhile. Did a mass West Coast tour with Silly Killers and made 14 dollars playing three gigs. That's not just me; the whole band only made $14.

How did 10 Minute Warning get started?

Duff: Ah well, like I said, I was playing in the Fartz and because of differences, Steve (former bass player) left. So we got David to play bass. Me and Paul were playing guitars one day and we figured 'Why don't we try both playing guitars and get a drummer' and instantly I knew which drummer to get, which was Gregg.

Why did Blaine, your old singer, leave the band?

Gregg: He wanted to party.

Duff: Just musical differences; we were getting a lot more melodic. Not as hardcore. then?

Gregg: Yeah, Fartz hardcore.

Duff: We're still a hardcore group; hardcore to me means just hardcore. Getting intense on that music, slammin' on them guitars and believing in what you're doing. That's hardcore to me. Hardcore is not raw smash, stage dive and shit. Hardcore is more a way of thinking and playing.

How about Blaine?

Duff: Oh, about Blaine (laughs), so we tried to get him to sing and he really tried ya know, but it just wasn't working out and so it just came to a point where. . .

Gregg: He wanted to leave anyway.

So there were no hard feelings between Blaine and you guys?

Gregg: No,we still see the weasel dick around (laughs). Duff: Yeah, I still throw him down on the ground sometimes.

O.K.. how's your new singer, Steve, working out? What kind of stage presence does he have?

Gregg: Animal! Yeah, I saw him pouring silver paint on himself at the last show.

Duff: Yeah, he's one intense guy; he leads his own life. He doesn't really have an influence that controls the way he acts, he's just a nut. I've heard people say he's trying to act like Iggy or Jim Morrison. It's just not the case; that's Steve Verwolf at his primal best.

O. K., what kind of spiritual message are you trying to relate with your music? Haha. . .

Gregg: Love in the light. No, we're not trying to blaze any particular path or any political 'do this' or 'do that,' just, uh, having fun and not being. . .

Duff: Begin caught up in certain cliques or peer pressure. Basically what the whole quote-unquote 'punk scene' was about was getting away from the cliques and the peer pressure. Now it's just regressed back into. . .

Gregg: It's turned into what it was trying to get away from.

Duff: Yeah, it's just kind of gone around in a big circle, to right back to what I was trying to get out of. So we're just trying to say, hey you guys, let's unite; let's not worry about what you're wearing or what the guy behind you thinks about you. Just have a good time, have fun, don't go around hittin' people and shit.'

Gregg: I think, in a way without having to say much, we're an example of that happening because we're not a punk rock band and there's a lot of punk rockers who get into what we're doing. And we don't always necessarily look like punk rockers when we're on stage. Yeah, we're just an example of that working.

Duff: And it's not like we're trying to get across a big spiritual message. Our first point is creating good music, something people can really tune in to. Tunes for groovin', not tunes for anti-this or anti-that.

Gregg: Not tunes for being pissed off or a flag to wave around. So you're not an anarchy band? Duff: Definitely not an anarchy band! Some people might say, 'Oh well, these guys serve no purpose,' 'cause we've had interviews where the first question was, 'What are your political views?' We're a rock 'n' roll band, not Governor Spellman. And people might look down on us 'cause we don't have political views, but then you gotta look at it, why should we? You guys are getting dragged down by peer pressure because somebody says you gotta have political views. That's the cool thing right now, to be a political band. Well fuck that shit; we're not political.

What local bands do you like to see?

Gregg: 10 Minute Warning.

Duff: I Iike watching bands. I saw Poison Idea, the Rejectors and the Accused the other night and I enjoyed the show just because it was fun and it was loud and fast and you could get down. I also like the Fastbacks and the Silly Killers are fun to watch.

Do you guys like heavy metal?

Gregg: Big balls and things. . .

Duff: I'm not a metal fanatic or anything, but I like a lot of the sounds coming from some of the metal bands around. I like Motley Crue, old Kiss, Motorhead, Tank. . . but a lot of stuff that's supposed to be heavy metal isn't heavy metal at all, like Def Leppard. They're supposed to be the kings of heavy metal. But they're not really even heavy metal, they're more like a songwriting troupe. Not that they're not a good band, I like them, but . .

Gregg: I don't even like 'em.

Are you going to be recording any records in the near future?

Duff: That's what our goal is right now and that's what our goal has been for a long time. We've been trying to get something out, it's like a struggle.

Gregg: That's a lie.

Duff: We are too, man!

Gregg: We talk about it a lot.

Duff: But we're trying hard.

Gregg: Yeah, we are. That's our main goal. That's what the band's all about, that's what we exist for, not just doing a show once a month in Seattle and going to work five days a week.

Do you think Jello Biafra will be helping you record your record now that Faulty Products has gone out of business?

Duff: He claimed he would when we played those dates with him.

Gregg: But that's when Faulty was still happening. They're (the D.K.s) at a point now where they could probably just start their own label and not even bother messing with us.

Duff: We just wanted to clear up one point.

Gregg: It's a fact that we come across a lot more professional than a lot of the other local bands and a Iot of people interpret that wrong.

Duff: They think we're stuck up or trying to sell out. I don't know where they're getting this: do we have a record contract? We just want to be good, we don't want to be just five wankers up on stage.

Gregg: To practice once a week and jerk off is not where it's at.

Duff: We are serious musicians, but I want to make the point that we're not stuck up, no matter what people think, not that we care what people think.

I've never understood this shit about selling out anyway, because I figure if you're a musician and you Iike playing music that you should take it as far as you can, and if you end up making lots of money and becoming a star then big deal, at least you like what you do.

Duff: Yeah, it is what we like to to. We're not trying to make all of our songs into big commercial successes or anything. We're just playing what we like to play.
https://web.archive.org/web/20020527041833fw_/http://www.subpop.com/bands/10minute/website/then.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87097

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:55 am

That's really cool. Great find, there Smile
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder