APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Duff McKagan, 'The Simpsons': Guns N' Roses Bassist Says He's Lost Royalities Over Cartoon's 'Duff Beer'

2 posters

Go down

Duff McKagan, 'The Simpsons': Guns N' Roses Bassist Says He's Lost Royalities Over Cartoon's 'Duff Beer' Empty Duff McKagan, 'The Simpsons': Guns N' Roses Bassist Says He's Lost Royalities Over Cartoon's 'Duff Beer'

Post by Soulmonster Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:32 pm

Duff McKagan, 'The Simpsons': Guns N' Roses Bassist Says He's Lost Royalities Over Cartoon's 'Duff Beer'
Posted on Nov 12th 2012 8:30AM by Brittany Galla Comments

It may be hard to believe, but if Duff McKagan, the former Guns N' Roses bassist has one regret about his wildly-successful career, it involves the animated TV show, "The Simpsons."

In a new interview with Britain's The Independent, McKagan recalls a phone call from a FOX channel official in the late 1980s, who told him that their new cartoon would feature a beer honored to the rocker called "Duff Beer."

McKagan happily agreed, not realizing how much royalties he was going to miss out on because of not licensing his name at the time.

"I knew nothing about branding yourself then or the royalties off it," McKagan tells the paper. "I just thought cool, they wanna use my name and boom, 'The Simpsons' was born. Yeah, if I had a nickel for every time...but it's fine."

Last year, McKagan wrote more about the experience and how he reportedly inspired "The Simpsons" more in his autobiography, It's So Easy (And Other Lies). In the book via Metal Insider, he writes:

"When Guns N' Roses began to break into the public consciousness, I was known as a big drinker. In 1988, MTV aired a concert in which Axl introduced me - as usual - as Duff 'The King of Beers' McKagan. Soon after a production company working on a new animated series called me to ask if they could use the name 'Duff' for a brand of beer in the show. I laughed and said of course, no problem. The whole thing sounded like a low-rent art project or something - I mean, who made cartoons for adults? Little did I know that the show would become 'The Simpsons' and that within a few years I would start to see Duff Beer glasses and gear everywhere we toured."

McKagan currently is an accountant, advising bands at his Meridian Rock wealth-management company.
Source: http://www.noisecreep.com/2012/11/12/duff-mckagan-the-simpsons-beer/
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76730

Back to top Go down

Duff McKagan, 'The Simpsons': Guns N' Roses Bassist Says He's Lost Royalities Over Cartoon's 'Duff Beer' Empty Re: Duff McKagan, 'The Simpsons': Guns N' Roses Bassist Says He's Lost Royalities Over Cartoon's 'Duff Beer'

Post by puddledumpling Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:10 am

"McKagan currently is an accountant,..." Crazy
I'm not sure he would agree with that statement. If I heard/read it from him I might believe it.
puddledumpling
puddledumpling

Plectra : 6697

Back to top Go down

Duff McKagan, 'The Simpsons': Guns N' Roses Bassist Says He's Lost Royalities Over Cartoon's 'Duff Beer' Empty Re: Duff McKagan, 'The Simpsons': Guns N' Roses Bassist Says He's Lost Royalities Over Cartoon's 'Duff Beer'

Post by Soulmonster Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:40 am

I bet accounting doesn't really take up the majority of his work day.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76730

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down