APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2023.10.13 - We Go To 11 - Interview with Bumblefoot

Go down

2023.10.13 - We Go To 11 - Interview with Bumblefoot Empty 2023.10.13 - We Go To 11 - Interview with Bumblefoot

Post by Blackstar Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:57 pm

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87860

Back to top Go down

2023.10.13 - We Go To 11 - Interview with Bumblefoot Empty Re: 2023.10.13 - We Go To 11 - Interview with Bumblefoot

Post by Blackstar Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:58 pm

Excerpts from Ultimate Guitar:
-------------------------------------

Guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal recalled how a performance at 2011's Rock in Rio devolved into his "biggest real Spinal Tap" moment, as an uncooperative Stormtrooper helmet made it difficult to perform the intro of Guns N' Roses' fan-favorite "Welcome to the Jungle".

Although it will be turning 40 next year, the beloved music comedy seems to have gotten the whole rock star thing so right that musicians have been finding themselves in situations resembling "Spinal Tap" gags for decades. Since nearly anyone who's someone has a "Spinal Tap" story to tell, Ron was asked to share his during a recent interview with We Go To 11, when he named the 2011 performance at Brazil's legendary festival.

Ron doesn't mention Guns N' Roses by name, but common knowledge of his career and some YouTube footage make it clear who he's talking about. He began (transcribed by Ultimate Guitar):

"Oh, there are so many, but the biggest real Spinal Tap moment was playing Rock in Rio in 2011. It was an outdoor show, and just the heaviest rain you could ever get caught in. My skin is all pruned up. I can't even slide on my fret; it's like trying to play on a wet balloon. They had brooms pushing the water off the stage. It was getting as high as almost covering our pedal boards; like inches of water, and it was making pyro misfire and things going off..."

To make a band situation worse, Ron decided to yoink a Stormtrooper helmet from a fan in the front row and put it on his head. Needless to say, it didn't go as planned:

"And there was a fan in the front row that had a Star Wars Stormtrooper white helmet. So, I got it from her, and I figured I'd put it on and play with it. And, as soon as it touched my skin, it just like it was glued to it. And now, this thing is stuck on my face.

"I remember I just said, 'Oh shit.' And, as soon as I said that it — fogged up. And now I can't see anything; I'm going to have to put in some effort with two hands, and stop playing, to get the thing off my head —and I'm about to play an iconic guitar solo of one of the opening songs on this headlining set in front of 100,000 people, with a million watching online. And like, there's no way I'll be able to do this."

"I did what I could, but then I just had to stop and just take this helmet off and continue. It really wasn't the worst sounding thing in the world; I mean, there's worse. But, my god, the next day — and to this day — the angry emails and messages we get from people saying how I destroyed their lives. To me, it was just a funny moment. Things happen at a live show. That's what makes it a live show. It's not a sterile, controlled environment, right... That's something to laugh about. Don't be a dick, laugh, and enjoy yourself."

Ron said he's got a new solo album all recorded and nearly ready to be released, adding how it's entirely instrumental.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/bumblefoot_recalls_his_guns_n_roses_spinal_tap_moment_people_still_message_me_about_how_i_destroyed_their_lives.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87860

Back to top Go down