APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2023.06.30 - BST Hyde Park - Hyde Park, London, England

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2023.06.30 - BST Hyde Park - Hyde Park, London, England Empty 2023.06.30 - BST Hyde Park - Hyde Park, London, England

Post by Soulmonster Fri May 26, 2023 7:50 am

June 30, 2023
BST Hyde Park - Hyde Park, London, England
Setlist:
01. It's So Easy
02. Bad Obsession
03. Chinese Democracy
04. Slither
05. Mr. Brownstone
Link Wray's "Rumble" intro
06. Welcome to the Jungle
07. Reckless Life
08. Double Talkin' Jive
09. Pretty Tied Up
10. Hard Skool
11. Absurd
12. Estranged
13. Live and Let Die
14. Rocket Queen
15. Down On The Farm
16. You Could Be Mine
17. T.V. Eye (The Stooges cover)
18. Anything Goes
19. Civil War (with Voodoo Child outro)
Slash Guitar Solo
20. Sweet Child O' Mine
21. November Rain
22. Patience
23. Coma
24. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
25. Nightrain
26. Don't Cry
27. Paradise City

Date:
June 30, 2023.

Venue:
Hyde Park (BST Hyde Park).

Line-up:
Axl Rose: Vocals and piano
Slash: Lead and rhythm guitar, and backing vocals
Richard Fortus: Rhythm and lead guitar, and backing vocals
Duff McKagan: Bass and backing vocals
Dizzy Reed: Piano and backing vocals
Frank Ferrer: Drums
Melissa Reese: Keyboard and backing vocals

Opening acts:
The Pretenders, The Darkness, Dirty Honey, Larkin Poe, James And The Cold Gun, The Dust Coda, Grade 2, Bad Nerves, The Foxies.

Poster:
(Artist: Sam Dunn)

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76581

Back to top Go down

2023.06.30 - BST Hyde Park - Hyde Park, London, England Empty Re: 2023.06.30 - BST Hyde Park - Hyde Park, London, England

Post by Blackstar Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:10 am

Last edited by Blackstar on Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87081

Back to top Go down

2023.06.30 - BST Hyde Park - Hyde Park, London, England Empty Re: 2023.06.30 - BST Hyde Park - Hyde Park, London, England

Post by Blackstar Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:12 am

Last edited by Blackstar on Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:13 am

Early review in London World:
Guns N’ Roses, BST Hyde Park: Review, setlist and highlights as GnR backed by Pretenders and The Darkness

Following their Glastonbury performance, Guns N’ Roses headlined a day at BST Hyde Park in London.

By Andre Langlois

The T-shirt count for Guns N’ Roses at BST Hyde Park outstrips even Pearl Jam and the Rolling Stones last year, which is quite an achievement.

Whether you’re a fan or not, the success of the brand is undeniable, and 60,000 people here tonight were certainly fans. And they’re runners too, as soon as the gates opened people were making a dash to grab their spot.

Despite a rare grey day this week, spirits in Hyde Park were high among a multigenerational crowd. It’s noticeable how many older rockers have sons and daughters by their side, also in GnR T-shirts.

The band ease their way in with It’s So Easy, but it is four songs in with Welcome to the Jungle that they really hit their stride. This is what everyone came for.

Axl seems relaxed and likes he’s enjoying himself - and Slash and Duff always seem relaxed.

It’s a three-hour set so I must admit I took a break in the middle and missed Live and Let Die, which seemed to go down well.

After Civil War is the traditional Slash solo to worship (it’s great) and then into the huge hits. Sweet Child O’ Mine is a big song (obviously) with dancing throughout the crowd, but November Rain really gets them. Everyone loves a ballad at heart.

And, writing as a Dylan fan, I’ve always enjoyed Knockin’s On Heaven’s being given the rock anthem treatment that Bob never would. It’s a great lyric and a great singalong.

Nightrain follows, and Don’t Cry is thrown in before Paradise City closes.

The Pretenders at BST Hyde Park

Chrissie Hynde sounds great and is having the time of her life out there, despite a drop of rain and tarp being deployed across the electrics, cymbal stands toppling and a guitar malfunctioning.

They’ve always had a light touch in the new wave arena and they sound, frankly, great on this stage. Talk of the Town and Back on the Chain Gang are lovely melodies and perfect festival fare.

There’s almost a reluctance to I’ll Stand By You but it’s a brilliant tune, and heartfelt nonetheless - and the audience get the singalong they deserve.

The Darkness at BST Hyde Park

Justin Hawkins and pals know how to work a crowd, and the obvious highlight is I Believe in a Thing Called Love. Hawkins tells the fans they must bounce even before the song starts.

“I don’t make the rules but those are the rules.”

The crowd even convinces them to play a snippet of “The Christmas Song”. They love it.

Larkin Poe

“When you get down to it, all rock and roll is built on the blues. Can I get an ‘amen’?”

Larkin Poe, from Nashville, Tennessee, kicked the day off on the Great Oak Stage with some deep and dirty blues rock.

It’s a double attack of Strat and slide, and it’s heavy, riffy, gorgeous stuff.

The Foxies

Another highlight is another Nashville (Tennessee) act, The Foxies, who put in a brilliant show on The Birdcage Stage. With a front person as dynamic as Julia Lauren Bullock and some great pop tunes, they deserve some big festival slots.

The Dust Coda

The Dust Coda brought the riffs to The Rainbow Stage with heavy rock going down well with the GnR fans.

Bad Nerves

If you like your rock’n’roll bands skinny, in Revolver and Television T-shirts and with star jumps and attitude, Bad Nerves are for you. They’re from London but they scream New York. You Could Be Mine? Check out Bad Nerves’ Can’t Be mine.
https://www.londonworld.com/whats-on/arts-and-entertainment/guns-n-roses-bst-hyde-park-review-and-setlist-4203931
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:31 am

(By Del James)

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:31 am

(Credit: @InnoBystander, @MRGilly93, @ClairSwales1)
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:32 am

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:48 am

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:51 am

Review in MyLondon:
Guns N' Roses live at Hyde Park review: It was always going to be better than Glastonbury

The shimmers of rock gold dust that were lost on the Glasto crowd were instead savoured in earnest at BST

By Lauren MacDougall

Guns N' Roses followed up their marmite Glastonbury performance with a storming set at BST in London's Hyde Park on Friday (June 30). Far from emerging with their tail between their legs, the performance mirrored the rock veterans' Worthy Farm set in almost every way.

But there was one key thing that made Guns N' Roses latest gig far superior to their Glasto debut - and it was nothing to do with singer Axl Rose.

I, like millions of others, spent most of last weekend enviously watching Glastonbury on the TV. For many, obvious highlights included Dave Grohl roulette, a farewell from Elton John and Blossoms/Rick Astley wheeling out classics from The Smiths.

Several other Glasto performances left audiences polarised however. Alex Turner was either a genius or as dull as dishwater. Lana Del Ray was equal parts disrespected and a diva. Guns N' Roses were simultaneously the worst headliners ever and a masterclass in how to put on a classic rock show.

For me most frustrating part of Guns N' Roses' Glasto set wasn't even the appalling performance from the sound technicians, it was seeing the crowd barely react as Axl Rose did literal bleep tests while bellowing Rocket Queen and You Could Be Mine.

Watching at BST, it's clear to any Guns N' Roses fan that the band are back on top of their game. Axl's vocals are strong and distinctive. He's never been a classically melodic singer, but that is part of his charm. He hits the high notes on Pretty Tied Up in a way that gives me goosebumps and his rendition of November Rain is vocally every bit as powerful as, if not more than, as the studio recording.

Meanwhile, literal living-legend guitarist Slash is as aloof and effortlessly cool as ever, hopping from solo to solo with unbelievable ease, set against the backdrop of the crowd's enthusiastic cheers.

The band are even mature enough these days to let bygones be bygones and play tunes from their "difficult" era. with Chinese Democracy and Velvet Revolver's Slither back-to-back. That's growth, folks.

In fact, in perhaps the most surprising twist, the rockers were once again on time in what could be their longest ever streak. It's not very rock n' roll to monitor attendance granted, but Lana Del Ray could certainly take some pointers from the band once notorious for no-shows and starting hours after the bill advertised.

Since Axl, Slash and bassist Duff McKagan launched their three-fifths reunion tour in 2016 their set list has been a stable stream of bangers. However, the band has taken the opportunity to shake things up for the 2023 tour, in the form of deep cuts like Bad Obsession, last played live in 1993... the year I was born.

Later, in an almost poetic moment, falling rain started to intensify as the first notes of Civil War echoed into the darkening night. By the time November Rain graced our eardrums the crowd was soggy with a mixture of precipitation, sweat and, for some, tears as Slash tore through his iconic solos with awe-inspiring skill.

2023 Guns N' Roses are not going through the motions. They clearly love what they are doing and could give bands half their age a run for money when it comes to stage presence. Even as the drizzle endured Axl assured the crowd: "Don't worry I'll be busting my a** despite the rain."

Perhaps the only missed trick was the absence of a last minute addition to the set in 1991's Get In The Ring, a song which sees Axl explicitly call out some of the band's critics. Speculation was rife that the song would get a surprise outing after the rockers teased fans on social media.

"It would take a lot more hate than you," they posted on Twitter on Tuesday (June 27) alongside the names of two journalists from The Telegraph and The Independent who wrote scathing reviews of their Glastonbury performance. This was met with a slew of replies from their followers, simply stating 'Get In The Ring!'.

Despite the omission, there is never any doubt during the BST performance that Guns N' Roses did not take their Glasto criticism to heart. Axl swaggers across the stage with, if anything, a renewed confidence.

He pokes fun and makes jokes as he serenades the crowd in his unique register. With more outfit changes than Beyoncé, the singer's T-Shirts get wilder and his hats get bigger and more outlandish as the evening progresses.

A highlight comes as he dedicates newer track Absurd to "all the things you might read". The song, released in 2021, features some interesting and colourful lyrics we probably shouldn't print but also incudes the turn of phrase "back down in the gutter is more than you deserve". We'll let you connect the dots there.

The truth of the matter is that Guns N' Roses at Hyde Park was always going to be better than Glastonbury. The shimmers of rock gold dust that were lost on the Glasto crowd were instead savoured in earnest at BST.

While Glasto-goers don't know the full line up when they commit to the festival, Hyde Park on the other hand, was full of bona fide Guns N' Roses fans who soaked up every inch of their sultry, swaggering rock anthems.

While my friend on the ground at Glastonbury told me, aghast, that Guns N' Roses headline set was full of awkward silences from the apathetic, diminishing crowd, I was relieved that those at BST weren't also hoping to fast forward to Paradise City and Welcome to the Jungle and catch the early (night)train home.

The worst thing about going to festivals is often a lack of enthusiasm from the crowd toward bands that don't quite fit the bill, aren't to their usual taste or are relatively unknown. It sucks.

If you're at a gig, the performers deserve your full attention, you need to get into the music. If you can't do that, you should leave, because you're ruining it for everyone else there.

If you love Guns N' Roses or classic rock then you'd be mad not to snap up tickets to their next tour - you'll be delighted by the heady mix of thrumming basslines, screaming guitars, unusual vocal gymnastics and, perhaps most importantly, nostalgia.

Nothing proved this more than my train home, buzzing with fans who were still riding high on the adrenaline of seeing their heroes at their best.
https://www.mylondon.news/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/guns-n-roses-live-hyde-27215652
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:13 am

PA Media/Yahoo! UK:

US rock giants Guns N’ Roses produce British-tinged set at London’s Hyde Park

Patrick Daly, PA

Guns N’ Roses brought their LA attitude to Hyde Park as they rocked the capital with a three-hour British-tinged set.

The US 80s rock band, fresh from their headline slot at Glastonbury Festival, rolled back the years to light up a dreary Friday night in London.

Kicking-off proceedings with a bang, they opened with the roar of It’s So Easy, one of many numbers scattered through the 27-song set that was taken from their seminal 1987 record Appetite For Destruction.

Not even a quick tumble on stage during second song Bad Obsession, off their Use Your Illusion double album, could upset proceedings for frontman Axl Rose.

Making light of his fall at the British Summer Time (BST) gig, the 61-year-old said: “I don’t want to jinx it but hopefully I’ve got all the slip and sliding out of the way.”

In a possible sign that his week-long stay in the UK had rubbed off on him, the American later told the thronging crowd he was having a “bloody good time”.

In a nod to the group’s lengthy fallout following their mid-1990s bust-up, the Californians played Slither early on, a hit by Velvet Revolver, the band guitar player Slash and bassist Duff McKagan were in during their exile from Guns, which ended seven years ago.

The band — with the three original members padded out to a seven-piece via newer additions — offered a British-tinged set, rustling up covers of Live And Let Die by Paul McCartney’s Wings and Down On The Farm by punk-outfit U.K. Subs.

Six songs in, Guns put the show into fifth gear with a colossal rendition of Welcome To The Jungle, sending the 60,000-strong crowd into overdrive.

Axl alluded to Slash’s British roots as he introduced the “Englishman” — the 57-year-old, who appeared to relish improvising with The Jimi Hendrix Experience’s Voodoo Child riff mid-set, was born in Hampstead, north London — ahead of a captivating solo piece.

The jean shirt-clad axeman’s fretwork proved a hypnotic build-up to the unmistakable opening chords of wedding dancefloor-favourite Sweet Child O’ Mine.

The June drizzle proved the perfect backdrop to the nine-minute ballad November Rain, with Axl donning a sparkling leopard-print jacket for his stint at the piano — one of his many outfit changes during the evening.

Following a slight lull in proceedings after an amped-up rendition of Bob Dylan’s Knocking On Heaven’s Door, the audience’s patience was rewarded with one of the most pulsating songs in rock music.

Finale Paradise City sparked a sea of flailing bodies as the crowd joined in with every word that Axl, who appeared to have gone native with his Union-branded hat, belted out.

As guitar-shredding maestro Slash waved off the exiting crowd, even showing off to his country of birth with a farewell handstand, the hordes left the Royal Park sated on the sounds of West Coast hard rock.

Guns N’ Roses were supported by The Pretenders, The Darkness and Larkin Poe.

Manchester-formed group Take That are due to play at BST on Saturday, with crowd-drawing K-pop outfit Blackpink headlining on Sunday.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/us-rock-giants-guns-n-005530864.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:38 pm

Last edited by Blackstar on Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:05 pm

Metro, July 1st (review):
Guns N’ Roses rip through rainy BST Hyde Park performance with electrifying fervour as guitar god Slash steals show

4/5 stars

By Sabrina Barr

As someone who was born in the 1990s, almost a decade after Guns N’ Roses were first formed, it never even dawned on me that one day I might be able to watch the band perform live.

I’d grown up being enchanted by Slash’s iconic guitar intro to Sweet Child O’ Mine, being enraptured by Axl Rose’s otherworldly voice and imagining what it must have been like to go to one of their gigs in their heyday.

But now in the year 2023 – seven years after Rose and Slash finally reunited to play together for the first time in over two decades – the rock legends went from performing at Glastonbury’s Pyramid Stage to bringing the house down at BST Hyde Park.

Almost 40 years since Guns N’ Roses first came into being, the electrifying power of their music remains top tier, and it truly was a sight to behold in London’s Hyde Park on the night of Sunday June 30.

When walking into the park, the first thing that you couldn’t help but notice was the mass plethora of Guns N’ Roses T-shirts being worn in every direction. Sure, every gig will typically boast its fair share of concertgoers wearing merchandise, but this was on another level.

The energy that the band – and Rose in particular – brought the minute that they hit the stage was second to none, with the 61-year-old frontman running from left to right with a seemingly endless supply of energy.

Diehard fans were lapping up the tunes from the very start, singing along to every single lyric as Rose’s voice (significantly deeper than it was when he was in his early twenties) still was able to reach those high notes that made him a legend in the game.

A few songs in, Welcome To The Jungle had everyone in an adrenaline-fuelled state of excitement, including several celebrities who were watching from a podium, a group that appeared to include the likes of Justin Theroux, Minnie Driver and Andrew Garfield (if our eyes didn’t deceive us from afar).

The stellar graphics to accompany each song on the iconic BST Hyde Park stage brightened up the otherwise grey and slightly rainy evening, with skulls, roses and guns emblazoned on the huge screen behind them.

Watching the top-hat-and-sunglass-wearing Slash do his thing on the guitar – or his many guitars that he used during the two-and-a-half-hour performance – is something else.

It’s as if the guitar god feels like he’s just playing on his own without a crowd of thousands watching him, utterly absorbed by the instrument as his fingers strum effortlessly, sounding just as good as he did more than 30 years ago when the world was first introduced to his talent.

The other members of the band who joined Rose and Slash on stage were original band member and bassist Duff McKagan, guitarist Richard Fortus, drummer Frank Ferrer and keyboardists Dizzy Reed and Melissa Reese.

Slash took centre stage on several occasions, usually to perform a guitar solo while Rose was off for one of his many T-shirt changes (we counted about seven or eight different tops throughout the night – but who can blame the guy for presumably sweating so much when he basically ran a marathon on stage?).

The best concerts aren’t just about the music. They’re also about the fans who are there to watch and take it all in, and that indescribable connection that they form with their favourite artists.

It was beyond joyful to watch children (with the particularly young ones wearing protective ear defenders) singing along to every word, to see middle-aged men wearing Guns N’ Roses tour T-shirts from the 80s with their arms around each other while grinning from ear to ear, revelling in the delight of witnessing their idols doing what they do best.

It goes without saying that of course, Guns N’ Roses’ most classic songs were the highlights. Hearing Sweet Child O’ Mine, Live and Let Die and rounding off the show with Paradise City was an almost soulful experience, while the band’s rendition of Bob Dylan’s Knocking On Heaven’s Door saw the crowd participate in their masses, with the floodlights being turned on at the chorus as Rose directed his mic towards the audience

There may be some naysayers who complain that Rose’s voice isn’t what it was. And to that we say… firstly, voices change as the years go by – that’s life. Secondly, he still sounded brilliant. And thirdly, since when was rock ‘n’ roll about being perfect?

At one point, Rose admitted that he was going to have to be careful running around on the slippery stage as the drizzle continued to descend from above – and frankly, we’re relieved that he didn’t have a repeat of his 2016 show at the Troubadour in Los Angeles, when he broke his foot just a few songs in and battled through to the end.

It’s one thing to watch a band that you admire performing live. But to see an act as renowned as Guns N’ Roses – legends who were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2012 and whose music has stood the test of time – is a true privilege.
https://metro.co.uk/2023/07/01/guns-n-roses-bst-hyde-park-review-slash-steals-electrifying-show-19049038/?ico=mosaic_music
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:07 pm

Music News, July 1st (review):
Guns N' Roses
BST Hyde Park

By Marco Gandolfi

BST Hyde Park has now become a summer staple and today it was the turn of rock legends Guns n' Roses to take to The Great Oak Stage.

Warming up the crowd were The Pretenders. Chrissie Hynde, the iconic frontwoman, offering up her gritty and soulful vocals. A relaxed Hynde reminding us why The Pretenders endure with ‘Talk of the Town’ followed by ‘Middle of the Road’.

His Lordship guitarist and drummer are currently in The Pretenders line-up. A valid reason to be at this show alone. Having recently seen their brand of acerbic rock n’ roll at Lafayette I knew what they had in the locker. Hynde is clearly a fan of James Walbourne's guitar allowing him off the leash a couple of times to let rip. At 71 Hynde is in terrific form and shows no sign of slowing down. The eternal classic ‘Back on the Chain Gang’ my personal favourite.

With the stage being thoroughly hoovered for the impending arrival of rock royalty, there was a definite sense of expectation in the air. At 7.20 the huge screen graphics kicked into gear and Guns n' Roses stepped out, as it began, with first single ‘It’s So Easy’. It was immediately clear that they still possess the raw power and charisma that propelled them to superstardom decades ago when they were the fresh face of rock.

Guns n' Roses have a chequered and tumultuous past but tonight all that has been swept under the carpet. Axl Rose's unique vocal range sounds weathered but remains as impressive as ever. Running the length and breadth of the stage an early slip leads him to smile, rub the Great Oak Stage tree for luck, and say “I don't wanna jinks it but I hope I've got all that slip sliding out of the way”. He looks like a man at ease and more comfortable in his skin than I have seen in years.

Their ode to heroin, ‘Mr. Brownstone’ B-side to ‘It’s So Easy’, another welcome early highlight. Slash looks the same as ever with his trademark top hat adorning his dark curls. Yes, there are a few extra pounds but his slick guitar playing is as good as it ever was sliding effortlessly across the fretboard in a myriad of welcome guitar solos. Showing off a huge range of guitars, there must be an artic truck for them alone, this band do not travel light. They will have to plant a few more trees to offset their carbon footprint.

The familiar guitar strains of ‘Welcome to the Jungle’ delight the adoring fans. Then it’s time for the emotional ‘November Rain’ with Axl on piano front of stage and aptly ushers in a light sprinkle of summer rain which does nothing to dampen this vast Hyde Park audience now in full voice.

“Here's the 50th anniversary of a little ditty from one of your countrymen” announces Axl before the illustrious ‘Live and Let Die’. The setlist that spans their six-studio album discography, with their cover of ‘Down On The Farm’ by the UK Subs fulfilling one of my setlist desires.

A full 5-minute guitar solo song showcases exactly why Slash has his place in guitar history and as if to cement that the following iconic riff of ‘Sweet Child O' Mine’ sees the audience revel in rock euphoria. The band chemistry is back, each member basking in their own spotlight while forming an integral part of this rock monolith.

The explosive energy of ‘Paradise City’ brings the three hour long set to a close. The songs span generations but still resonate, their appeal universal.

Guns n' Roses gave us both barrels tonight. A majestic showcase of everything that rock n roll should be. With a group bow the band leave but not before Slash gives us a handstand, what more could we ask for?
https://www.music-news.com/review/UK/15501/Live/Guns-N-Roses
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:34 pm

RadioX, July 1st:
Guns N' Roses deliver an electrifying set at BST Hyde Park 2023

By Jenny Mensah

Axl Rose and co returned to London for a career-spanning set at BST Hyde Park. Find out what we thought of the gig and get the full setlist here.

Guns N' Roses played an incredible set at BST Hyde Park this Friday (30th June).

Given their recent performance at Glasgow's Bellahouston Park and last week's headline show on Glastonbury's Pyramid Stage (which was marred by sound issues for those watching at home), it would have been easy for the Hollywood rockers to phone in their set.

But Axl Rose, Slash, Duff McKagan and co played the London park as if it was their last gig ever, delivering up an unforgettable and an electrifying 28-song set, with songs spanning four decades.

Among the support acts were special guests The Darkness and The Pretenders, who warmed up the daytime crowd with their undeniable hits. Starting unusually early to make way for GNR's mammoth three-hour set, Justin Hawkins and co treated fans to well-known hits Growing On Me, I Believe In A Thing Called Love plus an unseasonable version of Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End).

Chrissie Hynde then delighted crowds with favourites from The Pretenders' back-catalogue, giving pitch-perfect renditions of Back on the Chain Gang, Don't Get Me Wrong and I'll Stand By You.

Despite giving an energetic performance on Glastonbury's Park stage less than a week before, the 71-year-old rocker proved why she's an act worthy of any music fan's bucket-list, delivering up perfect vocals to her nostalgic hits.

When Guns N' Roses did take to the stage (on time we might add), they opened as is customary with Appetite For Destruction favourite It's So Easy, before playing the likes of Bad Obsession, Chinese Democracy and Mr. Brownstone.

It wasn't long before Axl screamed: "Do you know where you are?," launching the band into their epic anthem Welcome To The Jungle, whipping up the London crowd into a frenzy.

The set continued to take a trip through the band's back catalogue and down memory lane, including the likes of Double Talkin' Jive, Rocket Queen and You Could Be Mine, with Axl providing as many costume changes as the decades they covered.

And as for covers; it wouldn't be a GNR gig without their versions of Wings' Live and Let Die and Bob Dylan's Knocking on Heaven's Door - both providing the biggest singalongs of the night.

Elsewhere, bassist Duff McKagan lent his silken vocals to the Stooges classic TV Eye, while Axl gave his take on UK Subs track Down on the Farm.

After witnessing the blazing temperatures at Glastonbury last weekend, fans may have been disappointed for the change in weather for their London show, but it did mean when it was time for Axl to sit down at the piano for the band's iconic rock-opera November Rain, it was fittingly accompanied by a downpour.

There may have been sound issues for the coverage of GNR's Glasto set, but the band certainly silenced their critics when it came to their London gig.

By the time they finished their BST Hyde Park set on Paradise City, they'd proved several times over deserving of the the same respect as their rock counterparts.

Their UK dates may be over, but Guns N' Roses are certainly far from done.
https://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/guns-n-roses/bst-hyde-park-setlist-30-june-review/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:19 pm

(Credit for the last two photos: "6lake sa66ath" at mygnrofum)

Last edited by Blackstar on Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:21 am

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:23 am

Review in Entertainment Focus, July 1st:
Guns N’ Roses BST Hyde Park live review

By Neil Markides

Legendary rock band Guns N’ Roses have amassed millions of fans over the years since releasing their debut album ‘Appetite For Destruction’ in 1987. That album cover was one of the many that featured across the front of t-shirts at London’s Hyde Park for their BST Friday night show. The band have set the standard high for rock music since their inception and today proved their popularity across different generations with children, parents and grandparents attending the event.

Taking the stage at 7.20pm, they jumped straight into ‘It’s So Easy’, the second track of the aforementioned ‘Appetite For Destruction’. With Axl Rose exuding energy right from the start, he worked the crowd throughout the entire three hour performance. It’s worth discussing the elephant in the room though. After their recent Glastonbury performance Rose took some negative criticism on social media for his voice not being as strong as it once was and although there were small moments, after decades of rock it can be forgiven. The rest of the lineup which included Slash, Duff Mckagan, Richard Fortus and Frank Ferrer were tight and gelled well on stage.

‘Bad Obsession’, ’Chinese Democracy’ and Velvet Revolver cover ‘Slither’ followed before the set really came alive with another earlier gem in ‘Mr Brownstone’. There would be plenty of time for classics throughout the 27 song set though and the well known ‘Welcome To The Jungle’ was slotted into the setlist next with Rose’s instantly recognisable ‘do you know where you are? You’re in the jungle baby’ provoking an enthusiastic response from the 60,000 strong crowd.

Throughout the performance, Rose switched outfits as often as Slash switched guitars with his clothing co-ordinating with each song. ‘Civil War’ featured his camouflage jacket teamed with his sparkling silver trousers and a Ukrainian flag patch which tied in with the video production element showing solidarity with the Ukrainian people.

Keeping in sync with their ballads, ‘Live And Let Die’ was shown a lot of appreciation from fans as well as when Mckagan sung his version of The Stooges ’T.V Eye’. Other covers that featured in the set were ‘Down On The Farm’ by punk band UK Subs and ‘Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door’ by the masterful Bob Dylan.

As you would expect, Slash had his moment to shine with a solo performance highlighting just how fantastic of a guitarist he still is. His signature top hat look could be seen recreated throughout the day by adoring fans and his solo piece captured the attention of the old, as well as the new Guns N’ Roses fans. Throughout the set he utilised his signature Gibson Les Paul, B.C Rich Warlock and even a couple of double necked guitars as well as his signature wah pedal and a talk box for some added flair.

It wasn’t all about Slash on the guitar though with Rose treating the audience to a special rendition of ‘November Rain’ towards the rear end of the set. Ironically, a drizzle came across London as he sat at his piano and with ‘Patience’ following, it was a nostalgic selection of songs for the 90’s fans.

It would always be a tough choice knowing what to end a set on with a band that has spanned decades however with Rose declaring that they weren’t going to do the ‘showbiz thing and walk on and off’, they finished the show with ‘Paradise City’, preceded by ‘Nighttrain and ‘Don’t Cry’. A wonderfully enthusiastic crowd made for in the words of Axl Rose ‘a bloody good time’. Guns N’ Roses certainly proved why they’re still giants of the rock world.

4/5 stars
https://entertainment-focus.com/2023/07/01/guns-n-roses-bst-hyde-park-live-review/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:27 am

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:33 am

Pictures by Ross Halfin

Last edited by Blackstar on Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:34 am

Slash with his father, Tony Hudson & Slash and Duff backstage (also by Ross Halfin)

Last edited by Blackstar on Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:39 am

Don't Cry and Paradise City

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:41 am

Bad Obsession and Nightrain (Axl fell during the former and Slash during the latter)

Last edited by Blackstar on Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:42 am

Reckless Life and Double Talkin' Jive

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:46 am

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:44 pm

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:52 pm

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:54 pm

Planet Rock, July 3:
Guns N' Roses rock London's BST Hyde Park – photos and setlist

They headlined the event on Friday 30th June

Author: Scott Colothan

Fresh from playing Glastonbury and Glasgow Bellahouston Park, Guns N’ Roses’ World Tour rolled into London’s Hyde Park on Friday 30th June.

Axl Rose, Slash, Duff McKagan, Dizzy Reed, Richard Fortus, Frank Ferrer and Melissa Reese treated the 65,000-strong American Express presents BST Hyde Park crowd to a career-spanning 28-song set.

Arriving on stage to their classic ‘It’s So Easy’, the band greeted waiting fans with a non-stop array of rock gold, a nuance of old and new, such as ‘Welcome To The Jungle’, ‘Mr Brownstone’, ‘Double Talkin’ Jive’ and ‘Patience’ alongside ‘Hard Skool’, ‘Slither’ (Velvet Revolver) and ‘Estranged’.

Proceeding with a catalogue of huge rock anthems, the band sang iconic covers including ‘Live and Let Die’ (Wings), ‘T.V. Eye’ (The Stooges), ‘Down On The Farm’ (UK Subs) and ‘Knockin’ On Heaven’s Doo’r (Bob Dylan).

Then, as the night drew in, it was time for the favourites – ‘Sweet Child O’ Mine’, ‘November Rain’. Finally, after three full hours, Guns N’ Roses closed their set with ‘Nighttrain’, ‘Don’t Cry’ and the iconic ‘Paradise City’.

Check out Guns N’ Roses’ setlist at BST Hyde Park alongside photos of the band in live action. There are also photos of the superb support line-up including The Darkness, The Pretenders, Larkin Poe and The Dust Coda.
https://planetradio.co.uk/planet-rock/news/rock-news/guns-n-roses-bst-hyde-park-photos/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:09 pm

Official pictures (by Guilherme Nunes Cunha Neto) included in various articles:

Last edited by Blackstar on Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:50 am

Duff had a new tattoo in London

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:50 am

Pretty Tied Up, Hard Skool and Absurd

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next