APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2023.06.24 - Glastonbury Festival - Worthy Farm, Pilton, England

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2023.06.24 - Glastonbury Festival - Worthy Farm, Pilton, England - Page 2 Empty Re: 2023.06.24 - Glastonbury Festival - Worthy Farm, Pilton, England

Post by Blackstar Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:16 pm

Last edited by Blackstar on Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87081

Back to top Go down

2023.06.24 - Glastonbury Festival - Worthy Farm, Pilton, England - Page 2 Empty Re: 2023.06.24 - Glastonbury Festival - Worthy Farm, Pilton, England

Post by Blackstar Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:52 am

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:53 am

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:55 am

Last edited by Blackstar on Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:56 am

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:58 am

Disturbed frontman David Draiman responds to the review by The Telegraph:

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:14 pm

It's the first time since the reunion that the band responds to negative reviews (it's addressed to the reviewers in The Independent and The Telegraph).
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:17 am

Metro, June 26:
More than a third of UK population watched Glastonbury 2023 on BBC in record numbers

By Alistair McGeorge

The BBC has confirmed a record 21.6 million people tuned into its Glastonbury 2023 TV coverage.

With 200,000 fans enjoying the action from Worthy Farm itself, over a third of the UK population – let’s just take that in for a second – watched the Beeb’s programming, with over 40 hours available to viewers.

That’s up 7% on last year across linear TV, and not surprisingly Sir Elton John’s ‘unbelievable’ headline set on Sunday captured most people’s attention.

The Rocket Man legend’s performance pulled in the biggest ever overnight audience for a Glastonbury set, racking up a five minute peak overnight audience of 7.6m.

The average audience across the whole of his career spanning show was 7.3m, while the performance also aired on BBC Radio 2, BBC iPlayer and BBC Sounds.

In a statement, Lorna Clarke, the BBC’s Director of Music, said: ‘What an incredible way to end this year’s Glastonbury festival!

‘Elton John’s set will undoubtedly go down in history as one of the most epic performances ever to light up the Pyramid Stage and was watched by a record 7.6 million people on BBC One.

‘I’m so delighted the BBC and our superb teams were able to share every bit of the magic from Worthy Farm during the weekend with audiences at home.

‘People can catch Elton John’s unmissable set and all our other content now on BBC Sounds and BBC iPlayer, which also has over 90 other sets from across the Glastonbury stages.’

Elsewhere over the weekend, Arctic Monkeys’ set – which marked the first time a Friday night headline set aired on BBC One – had a peak of 2.6m, and an average of 1.5m, while Saturday night headliners Guns N’ Roses pulled in an average of 1m, while peaking at 2.1m.

Meanwhile, Lewis Capaldi’s and Lizzo’s Pyramid Stage performances on Saturday had a peak BBC One audience peak 2.4m and average 2.3m viewers.

For this year’s Legends slot on Sunday, Yusuf/Cat Stevens drew in a peak of 3m and average of 2.3m, which was BBC Two’s biggest audience of the year, with Rick Astley and Blondie bringing in a peak audience of 2.5m and an average of 2.1m on BBC One.
https://metro.co.uk/2023/06/26/more-than-a-third-of-uk-population-watched-glastonbury-2023-on-the-bbc-19016354
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:01 pm

That's the reviewer at The Telegraph.

The reviewer at The Independent (Mark Beaumont) has made his twitter account private since last night.

Links to both reviews can be found on the previous page.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:13 pm

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:28 am

Blackstar wrote:

That's the reviewer at The Telegraph.

The reviewer at The Independent (Mark Beaumont) has made his twitter account private since last night.

Links to both reviews can be found on the previous page.
Now McCormick has locked his twitter account as well, so the tweet doesn't appear.

Screenshot of the original tweet:

Last edited by Blackstar on Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:37 am; edited 3 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:51 pm

Somerset County Gazette, July 4th:
Owls rescued at Glastonbury Festival as Guns n' Roses played

By Phil Hill

A PAIR of little owls are being cared for by a wildlife charity after they were found under the Pyramid Stage during the Glastonbury Festival.

The first chick was discovered during Guns n' Roses headline set on the Saturday night.

Named Axl after the band's vocalist Axl Rose, it was initially taken to the RSPCA at West Hatch and afterwards transferred to Somerset World Wildlife Rescue (SWWR), in Highbridge.

The following day, another bird, thought to be Axl's sibling, was discovered in the same place.

Slash - named after Guns n' Roses guitarist, was soon reunited with Axl at SWWR, where they are doing well in an outside aviary.

SWWR fundraising manager David Plant said: “When Guns N’ Roses were playing 'Welcome to the Jungle', I’m sure they didn’t realise how close they actually were to wildlife.

"This is possibly the most unusual disturbance case we’ve heard about this year, but it just goes to show the importance of checking your surrounding for wildlife before any activity."

The Pyramid Stage frame remains in place all year when Worthy Farm goes back to being a dairy farm. Clearly a pair of little owls thought it would be a great place to make a nest.

David added: "Whether you’re renovating your garden, or setting up for the world’s biggest musical festival, our advice is always the same - if you’ve got materials or structures that have been in place for a while, please check them carefully before moving anything, as you may end up disturbing a nest.

"It looks like the parents sadly abandoned their nest once festival preparation began, so it’s difficult to say how long the chicks were left alone.

"We’re so grateful to the people who found and helped them. They must have been terrified after enduring almost two full days of loud music.

"We’re hopeful they won’t be 'Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door' any time soon, and we’ll be making plans to return them to the wild once they’re old enough, so they’ll get their chance to experience some 'November Rain' later in the year.”
https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/23632125.owls-rescued-glastonbury-festival-guns-n-roses-played/

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:45 pm

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:19 pm

Another review; Rock Shot Magazine, July 2:
Guns N’ Roses Bring The Energy And The Hits To Glastonbury 2023

Words and photos by Kalpesh Patel at Glastonbury Festival 2023

L.A.-hailing hard rock legends Guns N’ Roses come with both their famous hits and legacy of, well, destruction if you pardon the pun. The band formed in the mid-1980’s when the band L.A. Guns needed a new vocalist and found him by way of Axel Rose, and so Guns N’ Roses was born. The band shot to superstardom within two years, following the release of #1-charting debut LP Appetite For Destruction and it’s slew of hit singles. Stories from the road and frontman Rose’s temperament were just as wild as their continuing hits until the group’s self-destruction in the mid-1990s, with only the frontman remaining from the core line-up and continuing to make headlines for diva-like behaviour and late on-stage times.

Come 2015, and both guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan re-joined and the new era of the stadium-touring legacy rockers was born. And so, when this year’s final two Glastonbury Festival headliners were announced (Elton John announced last year), it was with some trepidation that the news was received.

But as Axel Rose, Slash and Duff McKagan took to the Pyramid Stage for the first time and on time (quite unlike Other Stage opposite number Lana Del Rey), joined by keyboard man Dizzy Reed, guitarist Richard Fortus, sticksman Frank Ferrer and keyboardist Melissa Reese, we knew it would be a good night! Appetite single It’s So Easy kicked off the set, and immediately had the crowd bouncing along.

Sure, Rose’s signature voice and it’s 6-octave range haven’t survived the test of time quite as well as Slash’s virtuoso guitar skills (or stage-jumping antics!), but the group brought an energy that simply didn’t even make the packing list for the previous evening’s downbeat headline set from Arctic Monkeys.

Sure, the mammoth 2-hour set is a paired-back outing of Guns’ current stadium tour (which runs 3 non-stop, ear-bleeding hours) and features a lot of music that isn’t so familiar to the casual listener. But that’s fine, it’s delivered with a level of energy and showmanship that places GNR firmly in the correct position, topping the bill at Worthy Farm. This does mean that droves of folks filling out the Pyramid field lose interest and depart to find another adventure. Their loss!

5 songs in, hit single Welcome To The Jungle pulls back a few who might have thought about alternative plans, Mr. Brownstone keeping them firmly rooted as Axel, Duff and Slash make the most of the vast Pyramid runway, stretching from the edge of one flanking screen to the other. Seriously, these guys bring it and I don’t know how they keep it up for tune after tune as the moon hangs low above the Pyramid Stage this clear June night.

Wings cover and James Bond film theme, given a new lease of life with Guns’ 1991 cover, Live And Let Die is introduced as celebrating it’s 50th’s year. A shoutout to it’s writer Paul McCartney, who had been spotted watching The Pretenders at The Park Stage earlier, is offered by Rose, the song receiving the biggest singalong of the night thus far.

The hits are largely all present and accounted for, Civili War repurposed to highlight the current war in Ukraine, You Could Be Mine, Sweet Child O’ Mine, November Rain, Patience, Bob Dylan cover Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door and Nightrain delight. Don’t Cry is missed. And while no encore is offered, Guns N’ Roses close their explosive set in style with 1988 hit single Paradise City. “We’re gonna bring out a friend” Rose teases before introducing Foo Fighters’ frontman Dave Grohl. “Because, there’s never such a thing as too many guitars” the frontman continues. And while totally unnecessary, and the subject of many a meme, the tune’s famous intro, coupled with the addition of Grohl sends the Pyramid field into a frenzy.

Say what you will, of course you’re entitled to your own opinion, but watching that set from the middle of a packed Pyramid field was pure joy, something Glastonbury Festival is really all about. Well done boys!
https://rockshotmagazine.com/guns-n-roses-bring-the-energy-and-the-hits-to-glastonbury-2023/

Last edited by Blackstar on Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:27 pm

Some pictures from the review above (credit: Kalpesh Patel)

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:51 am

Guitarist/Guitar World, March 26, 2024:
------------------------------------------------

“Richard Fortus messaged me and said, ‘I’ve shown Slash your guitar and he likes it, too…’ After that, the phones didn’t stop”: How a small UK boutique builder became a Guns N’ Roses favorite and the next big name in retro-inspired electric guitars

Ivison Guitars has only been in business for six years, but its Dakota model has already headlined Glastonbury with Guns N’ Roses star Richard Fortus. Founder Neil Ivison shares its story

By Jamie Dickson ( Guitarist )

[...]

The crowning moment for the Dakota, so far, must be when it ended up taking centre stage in the BBC’s coverage of Guns N’ Roses headlining Glastonbury in 2023. How did Richard Fortus come to play one?

“It’s quite a funny story, actually. It was one Sunday afternoon and we did a roast and I was asleep on the sofa – as you do after Sunday dinners – and the phone went off. It was Richard Fortus and he said, ‘Hey, man, I really love your guitars. I’ve been following you for 18 months and would love to try one sometime.’

“So I said, as I do for any [overseas] musicians who ask, ‘Whenever ,you’re playing in the UK, I’ll bring one out to you.’ I’ve done that with Electric Six and with The Hives – they both play my guitars. He said, ‘Oh, great – actually we’re over in June.’ I said, ‘Oh, cool. Where are you playing?’ He said, ‘Oh, we’re headlining Glastonbury and headlining Hyde Park.’ I was like, ‘What the…? It is that Richard Fortus, who’s had Guns N’ Roses in his biog for the last 22 years!’

“Richard’s such a nice guy and he’s completely gear-addicted. He’s had every sort of vintage guitar you can think of and he’s right into it – the winds of the pickups, all the different woods. He said to me, ‘Have you ever done a Korina with Firebird pickups?’ And I said, ‘Well, I’ve not, but leave it with me.’ We arranged to meet in Bath on the Friday night and they were playing on the Saturday.

“I took it down and he said, ‘Oh, we’ll meet in Vintage ‘n’ Rare.’ [Paul] Tucker had stayed open for us, so we could try it and he opened the case and said, ‘Oh, man, I’ve lusted after one of these for 18 months.’ He played it for ages and we’d gone back and forward a bit on the spec of the pickup and the pots, but we’d got that sorted.

“I [was concerned that Glastonbury] was a televised gig and the pressure was going to be on, but he was like, ‘Yeah, I know, I appreciate that. But I want it.’ He took me for dinner and we just chatted about his family and stuff, and the guitars he’s had – and he was a really nice guy and a great player, too.”

“I came back up the motorway and thought, ‘That was a bit surreal.’ Then he messaged me after dinner and said, ‘I’ve been playing this in the hotel room, I’m definitely going to play it tomorrow. I’ve shown Slash and he likes it, too…’ I decided not to tell anyone about it because I know my luck and I thought, ‘Well, at the last minute he may decide not to use it.’

“So my wife, Rachel, and I sat in front of the telly to look out for it. Second song in, I couldn’t have planned it better if I’d said to the BBC, ‘What I want you to do is a nice zooming in shot from the back of the crowd up to the Pyramid Stage…’ because that’s what happened and there he was, playing it.

“After that, the phones went and didn’t stop till the Sunday night. It was really great; people were saying, ‘He’s playing your guitar, I knew it from the pickguard…’ or ‘I knew from the shape…’ Straight away, that confirmed that I’d got it right – it was distinctive enough to be an Ivison.”  

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/ivison-guitars-richard-fortus-glastonbury
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2