APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Duff's new song sounds like a new song by Duff

3 posters

Go down

Duff's new song sounds like a new song by Duff Empty Duff's new song sounds like a new song by Duff

Post by ludurigan Thu May 18, 2023 10:13 am

ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5451

Back to top Go down

Duff's new song sounds like a new song by Duff Empty Re: Duff's new song sounds like a new song by Duff

Post by ludurigan Thu May 18, 2023 10:16 am

there are more new songs

ludurigan
ludurigan

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Duff's new song sounds like a new song by Duff Empty Re: Duff's new song sounds like a new song by Duff

Post by Uli Tue May 23, 2023 1:52 pm

Duff sounding like Duff, now you're pulling our legs, huh? Wink Very Happy
Uli
Uli

Plectra : 9461

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Wed May 24, 2023 6:15 am

Uli wrote:Duff sounding like Duff, now you're pulling our legs, huh? Wink  Very Happy

by "Duff sounding like Duff" I meant a bit bland, a bit uninspired, a bit why-on-fucking-earth-am-I-listening-to-this

ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Thu May 25, 2023 10:40 am

What I heard did not sound "uninspired", even though it may sound "typical" Duff.

Here's what inspired the song(s):
"'This Is The Song' was written in the middle of a panic attack," McKagan says in a statement about the EP. "I couldn't breathe and couldn't see straight, and lately, I have thankfully found my acoustic guitar as a refuge. If I just hold on to that guitar, play chords, and hum melodies, I can start to climb my way out of that hole. For those of you who have never experienced something like this, count yourselves blessed. To those of you who recognize what I am talking about: YOU ARE NOT ALONE!"
https://blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-bassist-duff-mckagan-honors-mental-health-awareness-month-with-new-ep-this-is-the-song
Uli
Uli

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Thu May 25, 2023 12:17 pm

you know man I used to believe in duff

I used to think that Duff actually believed in the words that came out of his mouth

Meaning I used to think that Duff was NOT just another full of shit guy

I stopped believing in Duff after Duff denied Duff

This "mental health" may be all right -- I believe Duff may REALLY SUFFER from all this panick attack stuff

but the thing that amazes me is how these things NEVER SEEM TO STOP DUFF "NOT TODAY SATAN" MCKAGAN FROM MAKING MONEY with bullshit reunion tours that the Duff I used to believe in WOULD NEVER DO

well that was the Duff that I, the BIG, STUPID, NAIVE FOOL used to believe in

you know?

I completely understand that a man needs to sell himself (or his principles) (or a bit of himself) (or a bit of his principles) in order to make a living

I have done that quite a few times

Who fucking hasn't?

but you know what?

Once you sell the fuck out, quit the fucking posing and quit the fucking preaching

embrace that you are a fucking sell-out just like basically everybody else

except of course for those few and rare guys that for whatever reason do not do that

now let me get back to my merlot

oh, sorry

it is actually cabernet sauvignon

this shit is so good

i have NO IDEA why I have been on the beer wagon when this thing is clearly superior in every aspect and it has been available since forever
ludurigan
ludurigan

Uli dislikes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Thu May 25, 2023 12:21 pm

you know man I used to believe in duff

I used to think that Duff actually believed in the words that came out of his mouth

Meaning I used to think that Duff was NOT just another full of shit guy

I stopped believing in Duff after Duff denied Duff

This "mental health" may be all right -- I believe Duff may REALLY SUFFER from all this panick attack stuff

but the thing that amazes me is how these things NEVER SEEM TO STOP DUFF "NOT TODAY SATAN" MCKAGAN FROM MAKING MONEY with bullshit reunion tours that the Duff I used to believe in WOULD NEVER DO

well that was the Duff that I, the BIG, STUPID, NAIVE FOOL used to believe in

you know?

I completely understand that a man needs to sell himself (or his principles) (or a bit of himself) (or a bit of his principles) in order to make a living

I have done that quite a few times

Who fucking hasn't?

but you know what?

Once you sell the fuck out, quit the fucking posing and quit the fucking preaching

embrace that you are a fucking sell-out just like basically everybody else

except of course for those few and rare guys that for whatever reason do not do that

now let me get back to my merlot

oh, sorry

this shit is so good

i have NO IDEA why I have been on the beer wagon when this thing is clearly superior in every aspect and it has been available since forever

so glad there there always seem to be so many good things in life to be found

ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu May 25, 2023 1:09 pm

Duff shouldn't be blamed for your flawed conceptions of who he is.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76581

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Thu May 25, 2023 1:16 pm

Soulmonster wrote:Duff shouldn't be blamed for your flawed conceptions of who he is.

Yeah you are right

I agree with you

Whatever "conception" of who Duff is that I have is most likely to be flawed

For the obvious reason that I don't know the guy

But you know what?

I wasn't the one who said -- for two decades -- that a Guns n' Roses reunion should be done for the right reasons

And should have the five guys

TWO

FUCKING

DECADES

ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Thu May 25, 2023 1:46 pm

ludurigan wrote:you know man I used to believe in duff

Ha ha, you fell for his solo album title "Believe in me", huh?  Razz

ludurigan wrote:now let me get back to my merlot

oh, sorry

Maybe you should drink less of it, these 2 sentences show your state of confusion (or drunkenness).  Facepalm

Soulmonster wrote:Duff shouldn't be blamed for your flawed conceptions of who he is.

I can't help but agree. sfhaetdj
Uli
Uli

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu May 25, 2023 1:48 pm

ludurigan wrote:

Yeah you are right

I agree with you

But you know what?

I wasn't the one who said -- for two decades -- that a Guns n' Roses reunion should be done for the right reasons

TWO

FUCKING

DECADES

There might be a quote or two from Duff where he indicates that a reunion should ONLY happen if the entire AFD lineup was involved. If so, he obviously changed his mind. Maybe he realized it would never happen and a semi-reunion is better than no reunion? I don't know, but I find no reason to hate on him for it. He is allowed to be wrong or change his mind.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Thu May 25, 2023 2:41 pm

Soulmonster wrote:
ludurigan wrote:

Yeah you are right

I agree with you

But you know what?

TWO

FUCKING

DECADES

There might be a quote or two from Duff where he indicates that a reunion should ONLY happen if the entire AFD lineup was involved. If so, he obviously changed his mind. Maybe he realized it would never happen and a semi-reunion is better than no reunion? I don't know, but I find no reason to hate on him for it. He is allowed to be wrong or change his mind.

1) There are SEVERAL quotes like that, believe me I followed those in REAL TIME for basically two decades.It wasn't like "hey, remember that 1995 interview for Kerrang where Duff said he would only do a reunion if the five guys were involved?" no, it wasn't like that. Duff basically said the same thing for two decades.

That was, of course, until he decided to betray everything that he said for two decades

Yes he obviously changed his mind. No one is denying that. Of course he is allowed to do that. He has every right to change his mind and to do whatever the fuck he wants with his life. I have no right and no place to tell him or anyone how he should live his life. But I have the right to stop believing in that guy and to stop respecting that guy after he contradicts himself like that

"Hate"? Believe me I am not a fan boy to "hate" a person that is not part of my life. I am a grown up person. I have at least 1.800 better things to do than "hating" someone that I don't even know. Having said that, I completely lost the respect for the guy and I just don't believe in that guy anymore. He lost all credibility to me.

and his solo music is boring as fuck

ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Thu May 25, 2023 2:45 pm

Uli wrote:
ludurigan wrote:you know man I used to believe in duff

Ha ha, you fell for his solo album title "Believe in me", huh?  Razz

ludurigan wrote:now let me get back to my merlot

oh, sorry

Maybe you should drink less of it, these 2 sentences show your state of confusion (or drunkenness).  Facepalm

I can't help but agree. sfhaetdj

all the sentences I wrote today make sense despite the fact that I have had two copetas de vinho

if there is any sentence(s) that you didn't understand please let me know and i will gladly explain that (those) to you

ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu May 25, 2023 3:03 pm

ludurigan wrote:1) There are SEVERAL quotes like that, believe me I followed those in REAL TIME for basically two decades.It wasn't like "hey, remember that 1995 interview for Kerrang where Duff said he would only do a reunion if the five guys were involved?" no, it wasn't like that. Duff basically said the same thing for two decades.

That was, of course, until he decided to betray everything that he said for two decades

Yes he obviously changed his mind. No one is denying that. Of course he is allowed to do that. He has every right to change his mind and to do whatever the fuck he wants with his life. I have no right and no place to tell him or anyone how he should live his life. But I have the right to stop believing in that guy and to stop respecting that guy after he contradicts himself like that

"Hate"? Believe me I am not a fan boy to "hate" a person that is not part of my life. I am a grown up person. I have at least 1.800 better things to do than "hating" someone that I don't even know. Having said that, I completely lost the respect for the guy and I just don't believe in that guy anymore. He lost all credibility to me.

Going from "a reunion should only happen if the entire AFD 5 is involved" to "a reunion is okay also with only three of us" doesn't seem like a change in opinion that should be a cause for losing any respect. Seems like a minor thing to me. I mean, I would have preferred the former, too, but I will allow Duff, as a grown man, to change his opinion without me thinking less of him for that. We all change our opinions and views and thoughts. And we should be allowed to without that in itself being a reason for disdain or a loss of respect.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu May 25, 2023 3:07 pm

Btw, here's all quotes from Duff on a reunion that I have found: https://www.a-4-d.com/t5024-20-november-1996-august-1997-robin-replaces-slash-but-matt-and-duff-quits#21406

There aren't really many there where he states he would only do it if it involved all five of them. And then when he joined the band in 2014 to replace Tommy, it was clear he had no qualms about joining the band without the rest of the AFD lineup. More power to him. Why should he bereave himself of something he wants to do if no agreement can be made with Izzy and Steven, or why should he bereave the fans the enjoyment of seeing a semi-reunion when no deal can be cut with the entire 5?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Fri May 26, 2023 10:24 am

ludurigan wrote:
"Hate"? Believe me I am not a fan boy to "hate" a person that is not part of my life. I am a grown up person. I have at least 1.800 better things to do than "hating" someone that I don't even know.

Yeah right, but when I make a funny comment about "Duff sounding like Duff" you go on a loooong rant. Facepalm hoeuhlet
Uli
Uli

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Fri May 26, 2023 12:23 pm

Soulmonster wrote:
ludurigan wrote:1) There are SEVERAL quotes like that, believe me I followed those in REAL TIME for basically two decades.It wasn't like "hey, remember that 1995 interview for Kerrang where Duff said he would only do a reunion if the five guys were involved?" no, it wasn't like that. Duff basically said the same thing for two decades.

Going from "a reunion should only happen if the entire AFD 5 is involved" to "a reunion is okay also with only three of us" doesn't seem like a change in opinion that should be a cause for losing any respect. Seems like a minor thing to me. I mean, I would have preferred the former, too, but I will allow Duff, as a grown man, to change his opinion without me thinking less of him for that. We all change our opinions and views and thoughts. And we should be allowed to without that in itself being a reason for disdain or a loss of respect.

It is not as simple as you make it seem when you say "Going from 'a reunion should only happen if the entire AFD 5 is involved' to 'a reunion is okay also with only three of us'"

Duff and Slash said for decades that they would only do a reunion "with the original guys", "for the right reasons", "to be a real band of equals again and not being dictated by axl" etc etc and etc

and etc

and etc

Believe me: I was BUYING magazines in those days if they had half a page on GN'R and I was reading each and every transcribed interview on the GN'R fan sites. This is pre-HTGTH.com. This is the fucking nineties. Every six months Duff or Slash would do an interview -- like they do TO THIS DAY -- and people would ask the about GN'R and they would say variations of the same thing

AGAIN:

they would only do a reunion "with the original guys", "for the right reasons", "to be a real band of equals again and not being dictated by axl"

"we just recorded a Guns n' Roses instrumental album that is the best Guns n' Roses instrumental album ever" (when taking about the slash-izzy-duff sessions etc and etc

and etc

and etc

there are many ideas that are behind all those interviews

including what these guys said 1987-1991 about what "guns n' roses" meant to them, and that includes having that magic in the room, being creative, being them against the world, etc etc etc

and etc

and etc

so it is not that simple as you put it

So if you spend two decades talking about how that band was great and what it represented to you was great and important and special to you not only musically but in many other levels and you say that you would only go back to that if it was for the real thing and the you turn your back to all that?

Yes, it looks to me like I shouldn't respect these guys and I shouldn't believe in anything that these guys say because they are so, so, so full of shit.

This is about them

No respect from me for that!

===

I wanna talk about one other thing

Your comment that the difference between a Guns n' Roses reunion and what-we-have is a "minor thing"

That comment explains a lot

I see a HUGE, HUGE difference between a Guns n' Roses reunion and what-we-have

You think it is a minor thing

Different views

I do respect your view

I can't expect you or anyone else to feel the same thing I feel for this band

Maybe one day a GN'R Reunion will happen and maybe they will create new music

And if that ever happens maybe when you see it and hear it and feel it you will agree with me about the huge difference Duff's new song sounds like a new song by Duff 1f60e
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Fri May 26, 2023 12:40 pm

Soulmonster wrote:Btw, here's all quotes from Duff on a reunion that I have found: https://www.a-4-d.com/t5024-20-november-1996-august-1997-robin-replaces-slash-but-matt-and-duff-quits#21406

There aren't really many there where he states he would only do it if it involved all five of them. And then when he joined the band in 2014 to replace Tommy, it was clear he had no qualms about joining the band without the rest of the AFD lineup. More power to him. Why should he bereave himself of something he wants to do if no agreement can be made with Izzy and Steven, or why should he bereave the fans the enjoyment of seeing a semi-reunion when no deal can be cut with the entire 5?

We don't know why there was no agreement with Izzy and Steven

Izzy said they didn't want to split the loot equally

No one has ever said that that was a lie

I believe in Izzy

===

I don't understand these questions:

Why should he bereave himself of something he wants to do if no agreement can be made with Izzy and Steven, or why should he bereave the fans the enjoyment of seeing a semi-reunion when no deal can be cut with the entire 5?

I believe Duff is free to to whatever Duff wants to do with his life and I am not moving a finger to stop Duff from doing whatever Duff wants to do with his life

So I am not advocating that Duff should do this or that. I am in no place to tell him or anyone what to do with their lives. I don't believe in telling anyone what to do with their lives, I believe people are free

I also believe that I am free to react however I like to Duff's actions and my reaction is exactly the one I told you: I don't believe in these guys anymore, I don't respect them and I think they are full of shit

This "reunion" tour has been in my country like 180 times in the past few years

Everyone that knows me has asked if I was going to the shows because everyone that knows me knows that I love GN'R

I didn't feel any desire to go

Believe me, I would LOVE to be in love with this version of GN'R but I am just not
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Fri May 26, 2023 12:45 pm

Uli wrote:
ludurigan wrote:
"Hate"? Believe me I am not a fan boy to "hate" a person that is not part of my life. I am a grown up person. I have at least 1.800 better things to do than "hating" someone that I don't even know.

Yeah right, but when I make a funny comment about "Duff sounding like Duff" you go on a loooong rant. Facepalm hoeuhlet

I was trying to explain myself to you and I was trying to have a conversation

Maybe that did not work as I thought it would and maybe I should avoid doing that next time
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri May 26, 2023 1:11 pm

ludurigan wrote:
Soulmonster wrote:

It is not as simple as you make it seem when you say "Going from 'a reunion should only happen if the entire AFD 5 is involved' to 'a reunion is okay also with only three of us'"

Duff and Slash said for decades that they would only do a reunion "with the original guys", "for the right reasons", "to be a real band of equals again and not being dictated by axl" etc etc and etc

and etc

and etc

Believe me: I was BUYING magazines in those days if they had half a page on GN'R and I was reading each and every transcribed interview on the GN'R fan sites. This is pre-HTGTH.com. This is the fucking nineties. Every six months Duff or Slash would do an interview -- like they do TO THIS DAY -- and people would ask the about GN'R and they would say variations of the same thing

AGAIN:

they would only do a reunion "with the original guys", "for the right reasons", "to be a real band of equals again and not being dictated by axl"

"we just recorded a Guns n' Roses instrumental album that is the best Guns n' Roses instrumental album ever" (when taking about the slash-izzy-duff sessions etc and etc

and etc

and etc

there are many ideas that are behind all those interviews

including what these guys said 1987-1991 about what "guns n' roses" meant to them, and that includes having that magic in the room, being creative, being them against the world, etc etc etc

and etc

and etc

so it is not that simple as you put it

So if you spend two decades talking about how that band was great and what it represented to you was great and important and special to you not only musically but in many other levels and you say that you would only go back to that if it was for the real thing and the you turn your back to all that?

Yes, it looks to me like I shouldn't respect these guys and I shouldn't believe in anything that these guys say because they are so, so, so full of shit.

This is about them

No respect from me for that!

===

I wanna talk about one other thing

Your comment that the difference between a Guns n' Roses reunion and what-we-have is a "minor thing"

That comment explains a lot

I see a HUGE, HUGE difference between a Guns n' Roses reunion and what-we-have

You think it is a minor thing

Different views

I do respect your view

I can't expect you or anyone else to feel the same thing I feel for this band

Maybe one day a GN'R Reunion will happen and maybe they will create new music

And if that ever happens maybe when you see it and hear it and feel it you will agree with me about the huge difference  Duff's new song sounds like a new song by Duff 1f60e

No, of course this semi-reunion and a AFD reunion is very different. But changing one's opinion that only a full reunion is okay to a semi-reunion is also,okay, is a minor thing. We should allow people to change their opinion is such ways.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Fri May 26, 2023 2:19 pm

ludurigan wrote:

Maybe that did not work as I thought it would and maybe I should avoid doing that next time

Yeah, jumping topic from "his songs are uninspired" to "I don't believe in Duff because..." was totally unnecessary (and off topic btw)!

Soulmonster wrote:
...changing one's opinion that only a full reunion is okay to a semi-reunion is also,okay, is a minor thing. We should allow people to change their opinion is such ways.

Again, I do fully agree with your statement here. sfhaetdj
Uli
Uli

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Fri May 26, 2023 4:31 pm

[quote="Uli"]
ludurigan wrote:

Yeah, jumping topic from "his songs are uninspired" to "I don't believe in Duff because..." was totally unnecessary (and off topic btw)!

You don't get to tell me what is "necessary" and what is "on" or "off" topic

Last time I checked people are free to talk about anything Guns n' Roses related here
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri May 26, 2023 4:40 pm

I think Duff and Slash would have liked a full reunion, but when that wasn't possible (because they couldn't agree on the terms), they thought a semi-reunion is better than no reunion at all. It is entirely legit to be of the opinion that they shouldn't have done it, and it is entirely legit to be of the opinion that it was right of them to do it. Based on the success of the tour and how excited many hardcare fans were of just seeing Axl and Slash together again, I don't think we can really criticize that decision, unless we won't accept that they would do something they had indicated they would never do.

I am very "live and let live" regarding such things. I have changed my opinion on stuff too many times to hypocritically criticize other people doing it. Then there is the extra element of them doing something they had said they wouldn't do, because of money, and that they couldn't agree with Izzy because of money. But I feel that is a separate subject.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Uli and ludurigan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Fri May 26, 2023 6:07 pm

ludurigan wrote:
You don't get to tell me what is "necessary" and what is "on" or "off" topic

I was just trying to explain myself to you and was trying to have a conversation!

(Btw, you might wanna learn how to quote correctly! Wink )
Uli
Uli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down