APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2011.11.23 - Matt Cord, 93.3 WIMMR Rocks! - Interview with Tommy

Go down

2011.11.23 - Matt Cord, 93.3 WIMMR Rocks! - Interview with Tommy  Empty 2011.11.23 - Matt Cord, 93.3 WIMMR Rocks! - Interview with Tommy

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:46 pm

I found two Tommy interviews we didn't have in our database. This is one of them and I will add the transcript soon.

Transcript:

Matt Cord: With us now on the telephone, would you please welcome Thomas Eugene F-ing Stinson!

Tommy: [laughing] That's funny. That's a good one.

MC: How are you, Tommy?

Tommy: Doing good, in Chicago. Have a big rock show in in Chicago tonight.

MC: That's right. You're at the-

Tommy:  Allstate Arena-

MC: -in Rosemont, Illinois.

Tommy: Exactly. Exactly.

MC: Which I guess is near like the airport and the loop or something.

Tommy: Exactly, right by the airport.

MC: Yeah. Hey, you did an in-store today.

Tommy: Yeah, yeah, it was fun. I [?] Reckless Records, an old school record store that actually does really well and played songs with my band and signed some autographs and hung out. It was great. We had a good time.

MC: So it's almost like you're doing a double header.

Tommy: Yeah, totally. I don't know what I was thinking cause I'm burnt.

MC: Solo Tommy from One Man Mutiny to Guns N' Roses tonight in Chicago.

Tommy: There you go.

MC: Hey, you've been on the road for almost two months. How the shows been going, how you holding up? And, you know, what's the general vibe?

Tommy: Everything's going good with the vibe's been really good. The shows have gone well. We haven't even had a major.... We haven't had any major issues. you know, and that's the first as far as I've been in the band.

MC: You sound surprised.

Tommy: Right. You know what, it's going well. I think the vibe is just good. Everyone, you know, is kind of having a good time with it. You know, not taking it too, you know, too seriously. You know, as I guess we probably did before. It's more more of a fun kind of night, I guess you could say.

MC: You've been with Guns now longer than you've been with the Replacements.

Tommy: I've been a replacement longer than I was in the Replacements.

MC: [laughing] That's a good one.

Tommy: Yeah.

MC: Did you ever think that would happen, though, like, was it '98 when you went, you know, you hooked up with Axl, that you'd still be doing this?

Tommy: I did not anticipate being here 14 years later. But you know what? It's a good gig. It's fun. We get along great. And it's, you know, [?] is a good gig and we have fun. Why change it up?

MC: Hey, I'm looking at the set list. This is last night you guys played Minnesota, or two nights ago?

Tommy: Two nights ago.

MC: Target Center, right?

Tommy: Yeah. Hometown.

MC: I know. What was that like with ticket request?

Tommy: You know what? It wasn't too bad out. We had about 15 family and friends and that whole thing wasn't too bad.

MC: Was Paul there?

Tommy: No, he threatened to come. He threatened to come now. And at the last minute he had a case of the yips.

MC: 30 songs.

Tommy: Well, we know 40.

MC: I know, but that's a lot. That's a long night, right?

Tommy: Well, you know, we like to give them what they want. You know, we aim to please out here, Maddie.

MC: And I saw this on YouTube today, at some point in the show My Generation is played and sung by you.

Tommy: Yeah. We've been playing that and I'm trying to figure out another song to do cause I'm kind of wearing it out. But yeah, we throw it in there. [?] to do it and I just do because he likes it.

MC: But it's a good song for a bass player, I would think, right?

Tommy: Oh, yeah, it's a blast to play. We just saw the K tell version [?] of it, you know the shortened version if you will.

MC: How about Real Me?

Tommy: Real Me?

MC: The Who song.

Tommy: Matt, do you know what, I'm gonna try and get out of The Who catalog, there's some other stuff going on.

MC: I'm still stuck in it.

Tommy: I don't wanna get stuck in The Who catalog, exactly.

MC: Pearl Jam does a song called Jeremy.

Tommy: Yes?

MC: And it starts out with base. It would be perfect for you.

Tommy: I know that song. You like that song. You like them a whole lot, Maddie. I know this about you.

MC: I'm actually sick of their hits. But I do play your ID from time to time where you say, "Hey, this is Tommy Stinson, you're listening to Matt Cord on WIMMR, Matt, play another Pearl Jam song!" [laughing]

Tommy: That was a good one.

MC: And I saw, I guess around Halloween, you were dressed up as a teletubby.

Tommy: Yeah. I kind of busted it out halfway through the set. It was fun. It was a blast. Everyone kind of had a hard time keeping a straight face.

MC: Did they know you're gonna do that or you just came out?

Tommy: Nope, Nope, I didn't tell nobody.

MC: That's great. Yeah, that is great.

Tommy: I got Axl right in the middle of November Rain.

MC: And you're still doing Soul Asylum, right?

Tommy: Yeah. I think they're finishing up the record right now. It should be out there sometime in the new year, I think.

MC: And I keep telling everybody I run into, "Go get Tommy Solo record, One Man Mutiny."

Tommy: Well, thank you. That's awesome. I appreciate that.

MC: I thought the gig at the North Star back in the summer was really good and then the record store the next day in Manionc [?].

Tommy: That was a fun gig. I love that little record store. Good peeps.

MC: And we will see you a week from Saturday. Philadelphia, Camden DSP Center, indoors.

Tommy: Nice. I'll be looking forward to it because I'll see you.

MC: Yeah, I know. We'll have fun. Is there an opener for you guys?

Tommy: I don't know who the opener is for that night. I don't know what the dealio is yet.

MC: I saw that Duff was doing some opening shows with his band Loaded, right?

Tommy: Yeah. I think they're gonna do like Seattle, Portland is Duff, up in the Upper West coast.

MC: Well, cool, man. Well, Tommy, I guess it's it's almost showtime for you again?

Tommy: I do. I gotta eat a quick dinner, throw myself together and get in the van.

MC: Alright, buddy. Looking forward to.... I can't wait to see you a week from Saturday, man.

Tommy: Awesome, man. I look forward to it.

MC: Alright, Tommy.

Tommy: Thanks again. I'll talk to you soon.

MC: Alright, be good buddy.

Tommy: Alright. Talk to you later.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76583

Back to top Go down

2011.11.23 - Matt Cord, 93.3 WIMMR Rocks! - Interview with Tommy  Empty Re: 2011.11.23 - Matt Cord, 93.3 WIMMR Rocks! - Interview with Tommy

Post by Soulmonster Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:03 am

Finished this.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76583

Back to top Go down