APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Just Another Sunday

3 posters

Go down

Just Another Sunday Empty Just Another Sunday

Post by Soulmonster Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:39 am

Just Another Sunday Newbor11
JUST ANOTHER SUNDAY
Album:
Unreleased.

Written by:
West Arkeen, likely with contributions from GN'R members.

Musicians:
Axl on vocals, the rest unknown.

Live performances:
This song has never been played live.

Notes:
This song's connection to Guns N' Roses is not entirely clear and it might be more correct to consider it a West Arkeen song with contributions from GN'R members, even though it was considered for the Use Your Illusion albums. It has appeared on various GN'R related bootlegs along with other West Arkeen demos featuring members of the band. It was not included in the West Arkeen promo tape that surfaced later, but is believed to be from the same sessions.

Lyrics:

I know you've been dreaming 'bout the times in our lives
But I've been screaming in my bed late at night
A space a little, little and your stack of pain
Makes it grip that skull, to me child that you'll stay
You've been in my life so long, can I get through to you
I touch you eyes and it shades my life blue
There's something I need to say before it's to late
But I won't hold you back, while I'm begging you to stay
Just another Sunday
Just another Sunday
Oh yaaa, just another Sunday
Just another Sunday, oh yaaa
There's too many games in a day for a simple man to face
That desperate moment in your life where you can't be afraid
Don't think your second chance will break around the bend
'Cos hearts don't always share love, or the person on the other
end
But I won't hold you back, while I'm begging you to stay ya
Just another Sunday yaa
Just another Sunday oh baby
It's only one more Sunday
Just another Sunday, oh yaaa
Those are tickets for the same plane, bring it back to me
'Cos felling the same pain makes half the luxery
Take a walk away won't end the carousel
But if walking away can bring you back, then I wish you well
But I won't hold you back, while I'm begging you to stay
Just another Sunday yaa
Just another Sunday oh baby
It's only one more Sunday
Just another Sunday
It's just another Sunday
It's just another
Just another Sunday
Just another oh yaa
Just another Sunday

QUOTES REGARDING THE SONG

[Speaking about songs that were considered for the new album] Yeah, we got a song called “Yesterdays” - a great fucking song. And, er, ‘Just Another Sunday”. Both great tunes that we wrote aeons ago... Like, “It’s So Easy" Wes and I wrote together, that’s what we did for the last record. Axl put about a quarter of the lyrics into that. But this time these songs are almost fully his, I guess, if I remember right... Maybe I wrote part of them with Wes and Axl, yeah, whatever. But, yeah, Wes is gonna be with us on this one.
Mick Wall, GUNS N' ROSES: The Most Dangerous Band in the World, Sidgwick & Jackson, U.K. 1991, 1993; interview from January 1990

Just Another Sunday Newbor11
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76582

4fakk sake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Just Another Sunday Empty Re: Just Another Sunday

Post by Blackstar Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:16 pm

[Speaking about songs that were considered for the new album] Yeah, we got a song called “Yesterdays” - a great fucking song. And, er, ‘Just Another Sunday”. Both great tunes that we wrote aeons ago... Like, “It’s So Easy" Wes and I wrote together, that’s what we did for the last record. Axl put about a quarter of the lyrics into that. But this time these songs are almost fully his, I guess, if I remember right... Maybe I wrote part of them with Wes and Axl, yeah, whatever. But, yeah, Wes is gonna be with us on this one.
Mick Wall, GUNS N' ROSES: The Most Dangerous Band in the World, Sidgwick & Jackson, U.K. 1991, 1993; interview from January 1990
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87097

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:29 pm

Some additional mentions of the song:

As yet, the album doesn’t have a working title (“How about ‘Tits'?" jokes Duff), but among the songs up for consideration are: ‘November Rain’ (a nine-minute epic ballad written by Axl), ‘Ain’t Gold Down’, ‘Yesterdays’ and ‘Just Another Sunday’. The latter two were penned in association with Wes Arkeen, who also helped out on ‘Appetite...’; Arkeen is the first artist signed by the group to their own Uzi Suicide label. He’s an old friend of the quintet and their determination to do all in their power to help his career is typical of the loyalty they have shown to everyone associated with ‘em since the early days an admirable, rare trait.
Raw Magazine, July 28, 1989

There’s a really cool song called ‘Yesterdays’ that West (Arkeen co-author of It’s So easy amongst others), has written the lyrics for. And a big ballad by Axl called ‘November Rain’ that he’s been waiting to record for a long time. He’s got about another four big ballads, as a matter of fact, that he wants to record. Another one called ‘Just Another Sunday’, a great song that we wrote eons ago. And lots of other stuff, but I don’t wanna say too much because none of us really know what we’re gonna do with all these songs eventually. I’ll send you a fucking postcard.
Kerrang! March 3, 1990

These two quotes may both be based off of the interview Duff did with Mick Wall quoted by Blackstar above.

Chuck Klosterman also mentioned Just Another Sunday as a possible song for Chinese Democracy in 2000, and suggested it was now called Strip Bar:

I’ve already managed to hear some of the unreleased stuff from the new album, particularly one track whose working title is Strip Bar but will more likely be called Just Another Sunday. It’s a fabulous song - sort of a combination of Houses of the Holy-era Zeppelin and 70s Stevie Wonder, except with Axl’s signature caterwauling. Another song (currently titled Livin’ Loud) is more akin to a metal version of Thin Lizzy.
The Akron Beacon Journal, December 14, 2000

I suspect Chuck had heard the older version of Just Another Sunday originating from the UYI sessions (or much earlier) and mistook it as a new song that the band was working on at the time. Of course, it is possible, though in my opinion unlikely, that the band was working on a new version of Just Another Sunday in 2000, now called Strip Bar, and that Chuck somehow got to hear it.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Just Another Sunday Empty Speculations about 'Just Another Sunday'

Post by Twinaleblood Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:05 pm

Among the unofficially released West Arkeen demos, this song doesn't really get much love, at least not as much as rockers like Crash Diet and Bring It Down/Back Home, maybe because its poppish sound is a bit of a curve ball. Actually, that's one of the reasons I always liked it.

If I remember correctly, Duff mentioned it a couple of times among the songs considered for UYI and I always wondered if it was just an idea or if they actually attempted to record it in 90/91. An UYI box set might shed light on that, but I'm definitely not holding my breath for that Very Happy Thing is, that all of the songs mentioned during 89-91 interviews have been actually recorded and somehow released, including stuff that ended on Spaghetti or Ain't Goin' Down on the pinball machine.

Not counting unfinished covers like the Stooges one or the Hanoi one, this would be the only original song mentioned in that context that we don't have any additional info about, at least regarding the UYI sessions (and that is IF a recording was actually attempted). The other title mentioned that went nowhere is Night Crawler, but in that case we heard through Marc Canter that Slash might have reworked it into Speed Parade later on.

Also, I wonder why if it was not included at all on the West Arkeen tape or (less likely) it was included under a different title. That's because it totally sounds like coming from the same recording sessions, even the drum machine sounds the same as Crash Diet and Bring... I hope that tape will make its way online in full at some point.
Twinaleblood
Twinaleblood

Plectra : 994

Soulmonster, Blackstar and 4fakk sake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:31 am

Hey, @Twinaleblood I moved your post into our thread about this song. As you can see from the previous posts, we have Duff's quotes and a bit more. It is an interesting song with an interesting history - hopefully the UYI box will shed some light on it, but probably not.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Twinaleblood and 4fakk sake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Twinaleblood Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:49 pm

Soulmonster wrote:Hey,  @Twinaleblood I moved your post into our thread about this song. As you can see from the previous posts, we have Duff's quotes and a bit more. It is an interesting song with an interesting history - hopefully the UYI box will shed some light on it, but probably not.

Thank you, just starting to post around here, so I haven't fully grasped how all the sections work yet and I had no idea I could have posted my comments in the song archive thread Very Happy
Twinaleblood
Twinaleblood

Plectra : 994

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum