APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

What do you all think of Absurd?

+4
Johan
Shackler
Blackstar
Soulmonster
8 posters

Go down

What do you all think of Absurd?

What do you all think of Absurd? Vote_lcap44%What do you all think of Absurd? Vote_rcap 44% 
[ 4 ]
What do you all think of Absurd? Vote_lcap0%What do you all think of Absurd? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What do you all think of Absurd? Vote_lcap0%What do you all think of Absurd? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What do you all think of Absurd? Vote_lcap22%What do you all think of Absurd? Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 2 ]
What do you all think of Absurd? Vote_lcap33%What do you all think of Absurd? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 9

What do you all think of Absurd? Empty What do you all think of Absurd?

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:40 am

What do you all think?

Last edited by Soulmonster on Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:10 am; edited 3 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76730

Back to top Go down

What do you all think of Absurd? Empty Re: What do you all think of Absurd?

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:41 am

Let's find out what @Blackstar and I think about it!
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:54 am

I think it's definitely better than Silkworms. I like the punk edge of it, guitars and bass are great and I'm a fan of Axl's low voice. But I'm not sure if I like it overall. It's okay, I guess.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87859

Misfit79 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:57 am

Blackstar wrote:I think it's definitely better than Silkworms. I like the punk edge of it, guitars and bass are great and I'm a fan of Axl's low voice. But I'm not sure if I like it overall. It's okay, I guess.

I added a poll option Smile
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:10 am

Would be cool of some of our lurkers chimed in Smile
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:17 am

I also like the attitude behind releasing it, although I would prefer something else as the first new GN'R song since forever.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:52 am

I like it because it means Axl is not giving up on all the material he created in the CD era. I like that stubbornness and there are so many other songs from that period I would like to hear, even if they are reworked to include Slash and Duff.

I also like how he doesn't give a fuck. So many probably advised against this being the first single, but he goes his own way as usual. I like that attitude. He is not compromising. It is not the most sensible thing to do, I suspect, both in terms of pleasing Slash and Duff, nor from a sales perspective, nor from uniting the fan base. But he does it his way. And I admire that.

Lastly, I like that the song in itself is dividing. Appetite was divisive too. It was a shot in the arm back in 1987. They could have played it safe and released something we all expected, but they didn't. And that's kind of the GN'R way, too. "Here's something you didn't expect, take it or leave it".

And the song is much, much better now with the guitars added. It won't make my top 10 GN'R songs, or top 20, but it is nothing to be ashamed of.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Misfit79 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:05 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if this was among the songs Slash and Duff dug the most. I can imagine Slash being more keen to work on something like this than on songs with complicated arrangements, orchestration, etc.

Plus, to quote "Vampire Soul" at mygnrforum, "Slash's instagram is like Silkworms come to life in pictures" Very Happy And of course the video looks like it's been taken directly from Slash's instagram.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:28 pm

Blackstar wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this was among the songs Slash and Duff dug the most. I can imagine Slash being more keen to work on something like this than on songs with complicated arrangements, orchestration, etc.

Plus, as it's been pointed out on the forums, and to quote "Vampire Soul" at mygnrforum, "Slash's instagram is like Silkworms come to life in pictures" Very Happy And of course the video looks like it's been taken directly from Slash's instagram.

Haha, yes.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Shackler Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:57 pm

I love it! Woke up this morning after the show and my phone was exploding with notifications about the gig and new music. Finally feels good to be a GNR fan again!
Shackler
Shackler

Plectra : 2747

Soulmonster and Misfit79 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:15 pm

Yeah, this has definitely boosted many fans' morale. Nice to see people being excited again and daring to dream of a new album.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Shackler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Johan Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:59 pm

I just out of the blue got a Spotify notification about this song today!

Recognized Silkworms immediately. Not too bad, but indeed a brave choice as a first new single in forever. Hard School would've made more sense.

So, this means that they will actually release a full album in the foreseeable future??
Johan
Johan

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 7412

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:06 pm

Johan wrote:I just out of the blue got a Spotify notification about this song today!

Recognized Silkworms immediately. Not too bad, but indeed a brave choice as a first new single in forever. Hard School would've made more sense.

So, this means that they will actually release a full album in the foreseeable future??

I have always believed a new album was in the cards, and now it seems most fans think so too. I wouldn't hold my breath, though, this is GN'R we are talking about and it could of course be years. But yeah, they have worked on new songs all of them and releasing a single would often indicate that an album is heading our way.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:07 pm

And Hard Skool (new spelling?) is expected to be released as a second single later during the ongoing tour.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Johan Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:14 pm

Normal bands would release a single or 2 , 3 before releasing a full-length in some months time, but GnR is not a normal band haha!
Johan
Johan

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 7412

Back to top Go down

Post by Misfit79 Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:47 pm

I really like it. Slash’s playing on it is what is really keeping me listening to it again and again. He has made this shit song into a decent one for me.

I do wonder if Axl liked what Slash sent him straight away or if he made him do loads of takes and frustrate the hell out of him 😄 I’d love to know but I bet we never will.
Misfit79
Misfit79

Plectra : 2302

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:37 am

The song is okay, better than "nothing" new at all. Quite a surprise that they pulled out "Silkworms" after 20 years. Everybody seemed to think "Hard Skool" would be played (as it was in soundchecks) and then they do this one. Surprise. Hay

Johan wrote:Normal bands would release a single or 2 ,  3 before releasing a full-length in some months time, but GnR is not a normal band haha!

Does anyone remember the "Better" video? Or the same song being used in a Harley Davidson spot (then pulled)? (Must've been around 2006...) Razz
Uli
Uli

Plectra : 9476

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:22 am

Soulmonster wrote:I like it because it means Axl is not giving up on all the material he created in the CD era. I like that stubbornness and there are so many other songs from that period I would like to hear, even if they are reworked to include Slash and Duff.

I also like how he doesn't give a fuck. So many probably advised against this being the first single, but he goes his own way as usual. I like that attitude. He is not compromising. It is not the most sensible thing to do, I suspect, both in terms of pleasing Slash and Duff, nor from a sales perspective, nor from uniting the fan base. But he does it his way. And I admire that.

Lastly, I like that the song in itself is dividing. Appetite was divisive too. It was a shot in the arm back in 1987. They could have played it safe and released something we all expected, but they didn't. And that's kind of the GN'R way, too. "Here's something you didn't expect, take it or leave it".

And the song is much, much better now with the guitars added. It won't make my top 10 GN'R songs, or top 20, but it is nothing to be ashamed of.

those are good points you make but...

Yes, I can agree that it is good that Axl is not giving up on all the material he created in the CD era, but if he is planning to use that material why take YEARS to release it? I am sure Slash and Duff and the 4 Axl employees can (or could have) re-arrange(d) and re-record(ed) ALL these songs in two months time... They could have done that in 2016 or 2017. Released an album in 2017... That would have allowed for a much better tour with new songs and -- seriously -- that would allow Axl to get that material off his chest once and for all and... move the fuck on! I can see how you like that stubbornness and I kinda respect that in people, but, fuck!!, do it faster!

Yes I can agree that it looks like Axl doesn't give a fuck. I can not agree though that "so many probably advised against this being the first single". To the best of my knowledge there is absolutely NO ONE advising Axl on anything, specially against his decisions, he has been surrounded by yes-men and yes-women for years now and there is no indication that this changed with the return of Slash and Duff. If the Matt Sorum biography story about how Duff and Slash didn't want to play with the Axl drummer is true, that proves that they are accepting the unacceptable and completely compromising the music/sound of the band for... (money? the chance to be in GNR again? whatever reason they have to do it...). I looks like this is basically the same old Axl show that has been going on since September 1991...

One last thing.. I am not sure I understood what you mean by "divisive" regarding Appetite... but to my understanding Appetite was everything BUT "divisive". Not sure if you were alive at that time (I was), but that album had absolutely nothing "divisive" about it. EVERYONE who listened to it loved it really, really fast and loved it a LOT. IIt had crossover appeal due to Sweet Child o' Mine, that was MUCH bigger in 1988 and 1989 and 1990 than November Rain ever was in 1991 and 1992 and 1993... I mean, it was insane... And that kinda "reaction" to Appetite goes on to this day... Even people who are not really into GN'R are fast to say that it is a very good album...

Always nice talking to you guys!
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5496

denitza likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guns123 Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:06 pm

Soulmonster wrote:Let's find out what  @Blackstar and I think about it!
I think Absurd is cool. I think the demo version should be released on live EP with studio Slash Absurd.
Guns123
Guns123

Plectra : 932

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:08 pm

I haven't really listened to it much since its release, but I still like the fact that they dare to not go in the obvious direction and start with a single that is a bit out there. This is definitely not a song from a nostalgia band, and I like that.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down