APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2009.09.23 - Classic Rock - Sorum: ‘I’ve Got 25 Blisters Drumming For Motörhead’

Go down

2009.09.23 - Classic Rock - Sorum: ‘I’ve Got 25 Blisters Drumming For Motörhead’ Empty 2009.09.23 - Classic Rock - Sorum: ‘I’ve Got 25 Blisters Drumming For Motörhead’

Post by Blackstar Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:16 pm

Sorum: ‘I’ve Got 25 Blisters Drumming For Motörhead’

Matt Sorum says drumming in Motörhead is “one of the most challenging things I’ve ever done” – and that includes working for Axl Rose!

Cult/Guns N’ Roses/Velvet Revolver drummer Sorum stepped into the breach to help out on Motörhead’s current US tour after it was discovered that the band’s Swedish drummer, Mikkey Dee, was committed to take part in his country’s version of TV’s I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!

Speaking exclusively to Classic Rock after a recent Motörhead show in Austin, Texas, Sorum said:

“I was absolutely blown away and was very honoured to get the call. I got a text from [Motörhead bassist/vocalist] Lemmy and called him back right away and said: ‘Why are you calling me?’ [laughs]. I was at home by the pool, rubbing lotion on my lovely girlfriend, and now here I am. I manned up!”

“Matt was right up for it immediately,” Lemmy told us. “That’s really rare, a lot of guys wouldn’t do it on short notice.”

“It’s been one of the most challenging things I’ve ever done,” added Sorum. “It’s the best tour I’ve ever done: I’ve lost a few pounds and got about 25 blisters, which is great!”

When did Matt first meet Lemmy?

“I first met Lemmy at the Ritz club, 1988 or 1989. I remember going up to him and saying: ‘Hi, my name’s Matt and I’m from The Cult.’ Lemmy replied: ‘You’re blocking my view, I’m checking out that bird up there. You’re in The Cult? Oh, I’m sorry…’ [laughs].”

Lemmy: “Oh, you meant that Cult? I thought you ment The Friends Of Moonie Jesus Cult.”

When Mikkey returns, is there any chance of incorporating the reality-show jungle theme into the stage show? Maybe a rainforest drum cage?

“I’m not swinging from ropes for anybody!” Lemmy exclaimed. “He might not make it out there; he might break some limbs or something. Fucking dangerous shit, there.

“But they never get Mikkey doing the dangerous ones. The other night they had this glass coffin and they locked this bird in it and they added snakes and bugs and shit. Then they started filling it up with water. In the end they were all crawling on her head. That’s what I want to see Mikkey do.”

Lemmy: The Movie is on the horizon. What was it like having a camera crew following you?

“They followed me for two years,” Lemmy shrugged. “Sometimes it’s a drag but mostly it’s okay. Because they are doing it for me you don’t want to bitch too much. It might end up to be something not for you. They might make a movie about Matt instead [laughs].”

Did Mikkey give Matt any advice for surviving on the road with Motörhead?

“No, he’s a dickhead like that,” said Lemmy, “he wouldn’t tell Matt anything!”

“He took his fog machine with him, which really pissed me off!” revealed Sorum. “He said he’s got one thing to take in the jungle so I think he took his fog machine [laughs].”

Lemmy: “No, it was his hair-curling tongs. Or maybe his hairbrush.”

https://web.archive.org/web/20111227163057/http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/matt-sorum-ive-got-25-blisters-drumming-for-motorhead/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87860

Back to top Go down