APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2007.02.01 - GNRFansAroundTheWorld - Interview with Bumblefoot

Go down

2007.02.01 - GNRFansAroundTheWorld - Interview with Bumblefoot Empty 2007.02.01 - GNRFansAroundTheWorld - Interview with Bumblefoot

Post by Blackstar Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:43 am

WELCOME TO THE BIGGEST COMMUNITY OF GUNS N' ROSES FANS ON MYSPACE!!!!!

Like I said I had a surprise for you guys, here's an interview for you, from me, asking questions to Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal.

ENJOY

Laurent

Hey Bro,

first of all, let me tell you that all the GNR fans around the world are going to be very happy when they will see that you accepted to answer some questions from me. I'm sure I speak for all of them when I say that it's REALLY appreciated.

The pleasure is mine, thank you! Smile

Ok, let's start from the beginning. Your first gig with the Gunners was at the Hammerstein Ballroom last May. Actually 4 gigs in a row. When you were playing in your studio the month before, would you have ever imagined playing with them the month after?

haha... ya never know when one of those moments are gonna happen, when life is gonna take a big turn, right?

Since then, 8 months passed by. What are the 2 or 3 things that changed the most in your life? Good or Bad?

Well, a lot of cool people in my life like you and the GnR fans, the band and crew, their families... the travelling, getting to see places I've always wanted to go... all good stuff.

What are your taughts about you getting recognize by GnR fans as a full member of GnR, and that in only 8 months?

I'm grateful that they gave me a chance. Hopefully I'm not letting them down. We're in this together, ya know? They've been so good to me, I'll never forget it.

Last question about GnR...Is it true that it's Joe Satriani who recommended you to the band?

Yes sir. At the same time, totally unrelated, Chris Pitman got in touch, heard from both within hours of each other. Glad I checked my emails that day...

If you couldn't play guitar tomorrow. Tell me wich musicians you would like to play tonight?

Already playing with them all Smile

When you were a kid, doing air guitar in front of the glass in your parents room (we all do that), who did you pretend to be?

Haha, you did that too?! Ace Frehley, from KISS.

We all saw that you like playing fretless guitars. There's not a lot of guitarist playing them. What made you start playing fretless guitar? And wich one you like better...fretless or with frets?

Dig playin' both, each has somethin' about them. Fretted guitars you can really dig in and bend the strings till your fingers are chewed up, but fretless has a freedom you don't get from a fretted guitar. I kinda dig soloing with the fretless, Vigier makes the ones I use, with the metal neck. And they made the foot guitar. They gave me the fretless to check out, I think it was the NAMM show in 1999. The first 5 minutes were strange-but after an hour or so, it all started comin' together. CHEck 'em out at "www.vigierguitars.com"

Being a musician, you meet a lot of people, a lot of musicians. Since you started, wich musician did you meet that you said, after the meeting: WOW, THIS GUY IS FUCKING GREAT!!!!! I wish I could see him again?

You mean, someone I met personnaly that impressed me with all around, their playing their personality, that I would like to hang out with and play with again?

Same as above, already playing with them Smile

I read an article somewhere, that you know ALL the songs from EVERYBODY. If somebody asks you to play ANY song, by ANYBODY, you know the song, and you play it. YOU are supposed to be a real musical encyclopedia. Is there a song that you like very much, and would wanna play but just can't?

haha! I try to make 'em laugh by busting out some unexpected song, out of nowhere, at 4 am on the tourbus or at rehearsal, see who'll join in... fun stuff. I pretty much make up some guitar version of whatever song off the top of my head, kinda like the Don't cry solo. Never planned out what I was gonna do, just busted that out at Rock in Rio without ever playing it, just made it up on the spot. Every song is playable, if you make your own rendition of it. It's like telling a story with your voice, you're telling a song through your hands, ya know? If ya mean playing the guitar part of a song note-for-note, that takes dedication and practice.

Is there a place in the world that you are dying to do a show there? (I know u would like to play in Montreal, but you can't answer that!!!) Wink

One of the places I was dying to play was the Madison Square Garden in NYC. Grew up in NYC, first band I saw was Kiss at MSG, dream was to play there someday...happened in November. Same for Frank. We played a tribute to Kiss that night, Ace Frehley's solo from the Kiss Alive! album-what a great feeling to play that at the Garden. A lot of places I was working on touring with the solo band, but didn't get to play and hope to someday-Japan, South America, Israel, Australia, Iceland...would love to go back to Russia-played in Moscow in 2004 and 2005 (it's where I got that black furry hat I wear, haha...) And yes, even Montreal, if they'd have me.

And to finish that interview. It's very rare to see a rock star being so close to the fans. What makes you want be so close to the fans you have?

Can't say it enough, *we're in this together*-one is imcomplete without the other. But it's not about that. We're all people, and should get the same love and dignity we'd hope for from otheres. It takes very little effort to let someone know you appreciate them, and if I'm able to make someone happy, why not.

That sums this little chat bro, hope you liked it. I sure did. Thank you very much for everything dude, it's really appreciated by me, and by all the fans around the world. You rock, and I hope that Democracy comes to China in March! LOL Wink

Thank YOU! See ya soon!

BBF

1 FEB 2007

https://web.archive.org/web/20070220192332/https://myspace.com/gnrfansaroundtheworld
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87993

Back to top Go down