APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1994.07.22 - The Boston Globe - Guns N’ Roses’ Gilby Clarke breaks into his own groove

Go down

1994.07.22 - The Boston Globe - Guns N’ Roses’ Gilby Clarke breaks into his own groove Empty 1994.07.22 - The Boston Globe - Guns N’ Roses’ Gilby Clarke breaks into his own groove

Post by Blackstar Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:46 am

1994.07.22 - The Boston Globe - Guns N’ Roses’ Gilby Clarke breaks into his own groove 1994_036

Transcript:
-------------

Guns N’ Roses’ Gilby Clarke breaks into his own groove

By Steve Morse
GLOBE STAFF

The marathon Guns N’ Roses tour finally ended last year after 2-1/2 years of bludgeoning the world’s eardrums. The tour ended not a moment too soon for guitarist Gilby Clarke, who finished the last month of shows with his wrist in a cast, having broken it in a dirt bike accident.

Clarke at least got a song out of it “Cure Me ... or Kill Me,” a rave-up guitar track that is now becoming a hit. It’s from an impressive new solo album, “Pawnshop Guitars,” due out on Tuesday.

“My wrist was hurting so badly during that last month that I said to [Guns bassist] Duff McKagan, ‘Cure me or kill me.’ He said, ‘What a great name for a tattoo!’ But I thought, hey, what a great name for a song!”

Clarke, who replaced Izzy Stradlin in Guns N’ Roses, has a bunch of excellent songs on his new album, which was produced by Waddy Wachtel (guitarist for Keith Richards’ solo band, the X-Pensive Winos). The songs generally avoid the in-your-face wallop of Guns N’ Roses, instead leaving well-grooved impressions of the Stones, Beatles, T-Rex and Cheap Trick.

“I’m really a small part of Guns N’ Roses,” Clarke, 31, says from his Los Angeles home. “G N’ R is really the vision of Axl Rose, Slash and Duff. I’m there to complement them. The songs I write don’t necessarily fit their format If you look at Slash, he has a very distinctive style. He’s much more hard-rock influenced and he loves soloing. But I’m more old style and blues and rock ’n’ roll influenced. And I hate soloing!”

On the new album, Clarke covers the Stones’ “Dead Flowers,” giving it a more uptempo version of the sort the Stones do in concert “I didn’t have much money when I was growing up, so I never saw the Stones,” says Clarke, who grew up in Cleveland. “But I latched onto the way Keith Richards played guitar.” Clarke has a similarly percussive style of playing. As for his voice, he’s no polished Caruso, but he shows plenty of gritty honesty in the John Lennon-style “Johanna’s Chopper” (“Lennon had a limited voice, but it was the best voice I ever heard”), plus the AC/DC-like “Pawnshop Guitar” and a rocking cover of the Clash’s “Jail Guitar Doors,” with Frank Black, formerly of the Pixies, cranking alongside him. “Frank’s a great guitar player. He really defined the Pixies’ sound,” says Clarke.

Looking ahead, Clarke, who was recently in Boston to play at the WBCN Rock ’n’ Roll Rumble final, plans a six-month tour that will return this way in the fall. Meanwhile, Guns N’ Roses are still on hiatus. “We made a band agreement that we’d take a long time off until the next record,” says Clarke.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87967

Back to top Go down